Saints vs Norwich build-up

kwsaint

For a first time in a while, the squad is starting to look like a premier league squad with a starting 11 beginnning to form. Would love a win but would settle for a draw. Norwich are doing well this season although based on today's performance, we'll give them a good game. 3 - 1. COYS!!!!

I believe that Norwich will be a harder prospect than Newcastle were today. I wonder which Southampton will turn up... ? Lets hope the Saints that faced Newcastle today would have given them a run for their money regardless of whomever was available for them. That being the case, we can be a match for anyone on our day. Just need to keep matching the levels needed to walk away with the points. We cannot afford to underperform in this league, if we do next week then Norwich will find us out. However, I believe that we are learning our lessons well.. and intend to send Norwich home with nil points. COYR.

Rickie took a knock today. I hope he's fit for Wednesday. I'd prefer to see him start, rather than JR.

I think we'd all prefer Ricky to start but it wouldn't be the end of the world if JRod had to play.

We are starting to get a settled team/style/shape and the next level now is about having players to come in (to cover injuries/suspensions/rotations) and DAJFU without disrupting what's already going on. The difference between seamless and shoe-horning if you will.

I could see JRod doing a decent job in this team when he's called on, great finish today.

I've already been told off by the wife for predicting Saints will win this one. I'm a bigger Saints fan than she is a Norwich fan though, so sod her, Saints to win 2-0. (Though to prevent frostiness in house, I'll be saying draw.)

Lallana, Lambert, Ramirez, Puncheon. That's a better attacking four than they can boast. (...and most teams in the bottom half of the table IMO.)

Norwich seem to thrive on absorbing pressure and playing on the break. An early goal or two would be most welcome. I am sure Nigel will be aware of the great run they are on and not to underestimate them. Would be happy enough with a point from this one.

At least now with Shaw, Clyne and to a lesser extent Yoshida we have a defence with a bit of pace.

There's no reason we can't win this, but it'll be tougher than yesterday. Norwich much better organised, and we won't have the time and space that Newcastle allowed us. Their closing down and pressing was hopeless.

Hopefully everyone's recovery is fine and we can get the same XI out there for the 4th match running.

Saints 2-1 Norwich

Unbeaten in 7 including wins against Man Utd and Arsenal (and Spurs in the cup) this will be a tough game for us.

However they have only scored more than one goal in the league once and that was in the 5-2 defeat to Liverpool, so if we can break them down they might struggle to score. From what I have seen they are very solid and organised defensively, and offensively they threaten from the wings and set pieces. First goal will be crucial.

Ruddy being injured could be a big boost though he is in excellent form and produced a string of top saves against Man Utd.

Norwich will be our biggest test since WBA. Our last three opponents offered little and Norwich defensively are up there with the best in the league. Fonte and yoshi will have to concentrate and not let Holt bully them. I would have fox on the bench with shaw likely to be even more tired.

Norwich are poorer away from home though and our front four will be too much for them.

2-1 Saints.

Rickie took a knock today. I hope he's fit for Wednesday. I'd prefer to see him start, rather than JR.

Would love Rickie to start but JR wouldn't be a a disaster playing as part of the Lallana, Ramirez and Puncheon foursome. We would miss Rickies hold ups and lay offs but JR would have more movement and pace and his finishing seemed good based on the unfairly disallowed goal.

Would love Rickie to start but JR wouldn't be a a disaster playing as part of the Lallana, Ramirez and Puncheon foursome. We would miss Rickies hold ups and lay offs but JR would have more movement and pace and his finishing seemed good based on the unfairly disallowed goal.

^This.

If anything, Adkins might see it as a small blessing in disguise if he's 'forced' to play Rodriguez instead of Lambert for one game. I'm sure he'd like to see how Rodriguez fits into the current formation (i.e. how he fits into a team that now has Ramirez and Cork improving things. Up to now he's largely been played out of position).

Adkins, quite rightly, won't want to change the starting line-up at the moment unless he has to (IMO)

Only been to Villa and Newcastle games so far this season. And now going to Norwich, so hoping to make it a hatrick of wins...

Same team for me, although wouldn't be opposed to J-Rod starting instead of Lambert as mooted above, to avoid knocks/tiredness to Lambert. He is the OAP of the team remember!

^This.

If anything, Adkins might see it as a small blessing in disguise if he's 'forced' to play Rodriguez instead of Lambert for one game. I'm sure he'd like to see how Rodriguez fits into the current formation (i.e. how he fits into a team that now has Ramirez and Cork improving things. Up to now he's largely been played out of position).

Adkins, quite rightly, won't want to change the starting line-up at the moment unless he has to (IMO)

I think people will be surprised. We've got 3 games in 6 days here, there will be rotation. Do we rest players midweek, or do we go for it and change it up next saturday accepting that a loss is expected at Anfield?

I think people will be surprised. We've got 3 games in 6 days here, there will be rotation. Do we rest players midweek, or do we go for it and change it up next saturday accepting that a loss is expected at Anfield?

Can you imagine Lambert's reaction if Adkins tells him he's resting him against Liverpool at Anfield?

He might kill him!

The substitutions of Lambert and Ramirez tell me that Nigel Adkins wants to keep them as fresh as possible for mid-week.

If we find ourselves in a good position v Norwich in the second half I would expect him to do the same. He as much as anyone will want to give it as good a go as possible at Anfield!

7 days... :lol:

No changes for the home game but maybe for the trip to Liverpool. Tiredness doesn't seem to be a problem though when you are winning.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/michael_turner_and_john_ruddy_injury_worries_for_norwich_city_s_trip_to_southampton_1_1709209

Turner definitely out for them, and Ruddy a possible out - would be handy.

Anyone have any update on Lambert's injury as it looked as though he was struggling a bit towards the end yesterday.

Will be a much tougher game, Norwich are in better form at the moment and wont have the injury issues Newcastle had. I wanted 4 points from these 2 games so a draw wouldn't be too bad. Still a winnable game though.

Same team as Newcastle, injuries permitting. If Rickie has a knock I wouldn't risk him, he is sure to be fired up for Saturday's trip to Anfield and we will need him 100% fit to get a result up there.

Just been reading their forum "The Pink Un" and they are also cautious about playing us now.

Altho several posted that they felt confident because there's no way we (Saints) would win THREE in a row.

I think its a home win... Yes theyve had a few good results against the big teams, but those were at home. Everton without Fellaini are nowhere near as strong.

The substitutions of Lambert and Ramirez tell me that Nigel Adkins wants to keep them as fresh as possible for mid-week.

If we find ourselves in a good position v Norwich in the second half I would expect him to do the same. He as much as anyone will want to give it as good a go as possible at Anfield!

Lambert did pick up a knock on the hour mark, he needed treatment, hopefully he'll be okay but looked in a bit of discomfort.

Study this; http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/table

Norwich haven't won away and have only scored 4 goals in 7 matches away. Chances are they may get one against us, however, play as we have been doing and I think (hope?) we should win. Then I'd take a draw at Anfield as the odds would suggest that's a likely outcome I think.

4 points from the next 2 matches would be lovely and not too greedy surely? ;)

@officialsaints: We've opened up extra seats for Wednesday's visit of @NorwichCityFC, with Block 43 now allocated to Saints supporters. #saintsfc

@officialsaints: Seats in Block 43 may still show as being part of the away end on our online ticket site, but they are now available to home fans. #saintsfc

@officialsaints: We've opened up extra seats for Wednesday's visit of @NorwichCityFC, with Block 43 now allocated to Saints supporters. #saintsfc

@officialsaints: Seats in Block 43 may still show as being part of the away end on our online ticket site, but they are now available to home fans. #saintsfc

good news if ticket sales are going well, big crowd, night match and all that, but for those last min fans who buy in block 43, please don't be afraid to stand up and join in with a few songs, the ones who were in there yesterday generally sat in silence, like a block of the chapel stand being sandwiched between the Northam and the away section actually dilutes the atmosphere / banter.

The Norwich away fans are a real loud bunch,sat in with them when they played Spurs at WHL.those in block 43 best be up for it!!

If Lambert is rested,J-Rod is not a bad replacement to play, since are recent run of form I see nobody calling for Mayuka to start!! Maybe he might get a run out if they keep Lambert for Liverpool

As has been said already, I think this will be a lot sterner test than Newcastle gave us yesterday. Norwich have been impressive in defence recently, but with our attacking threat I feel we can score against anybody. They will have Turner and probably Ruddy missing whilst we have a fully fit squad to choose from. Same team as Sunday, hopefully we can nick it, 2-1 Saints but wouldn't be surprised with a 1-1 or 2-2 draw.

I wouldn't worry about the 3 games in 6 days thing.

They've got 2 weeks without a game afterwards haven't they with the Chelsea game being postponed?

They can rest later!

We've got Norwich on Weds, Liverpool at the weekend, Reading the following weekend, and then a break, and then Sunderland at home on the 22nd. It's the 15th that we aren't playing.