Shaw

Dig Dig

Been brilliant since he came in and already so much better than Fox ever has been or will be and actually plays like a very good fullback when defending and going forwards.

Would still like to see another LB come in Jan as it's clear he's going to struggle physically (hasn't he been subbed every game for cramp so far?) but glad we didn't waste the 4M or whatever it was on Buttner in the summer. The best thing we can offer the lad at the moment is game time in the prem.

Agree he really looks superb. We need to get him tied down to a long contract like with JWP. Certainly doesn't look like Buttner was much of a miss.

If he does need to come off while he adjusts to the pace of the Prem then FOx is capable for 10mins per game but I felt sorry for Reeves having to come on with so little Prem experience and not in his current position that he plays for the U21s.

Shaw is definitely ready to be a regular. We have two really good young fullbacks.

Been brilliant since he came in and already so much better than Fox ever has been or will be and actually plays like a very good fullback when defending and going forwards.

Would still like to see another LB come in Jan as it's clear he's going to struggle physically (hasn't he been subbed every game for cramp so far?) but glad we didn't waste the 4M or whatever it was on Buttner in the summer. The best thing we can offer the lad at the moment is game time in the prem.

I'm not going to comment on Buttner specifically as I've not seen enough of him to comment. But I don't really like the idea of being dependent upon a recently turned 17 year old in such a vital position. He will naturally have highs and lows in terms of performance, his fitness is currently an issue, and at such a young age he's perhaps more succeptible to injury (see Chamberlain in his full season with us). Foz has shown that he's not really an option, and it s difficult line to tread in that if we signed someone good it would block Shaw's progress. But a second left bacl still has much of a part to play for us this season.

Saying that, I don't think Fox was quite as bad as some make out and he was seriously let down at times by Lallana's lack of defensive nous.

I'm not going to comment on Buttner specifically as I've not seen enough of him to comment. But I don't really like the idea of being dependent upon a recently turned 17 year old in such a vital position. He will naturally have highs and lows in terms of performance, his fitness is currently an issue, and at such a young age he's perhaps more succeptible to injury (see Chamberlain in his full season with us). Foz has shown that he's not really an option, and it s difficult line to tread in that if we signed someone good it would block Shaw's progress. But a second left bacl still has much of a part to play for us this season.

Saying that, I don't think Fox was quite as bad as some make out and he was seriously let down at times by Lallana's lack of defensive nous.

For me Fox is bad as he doesn't do even the most basic things which an average fullback should do....like close down to try and block a cross or shot, he so so often is too narrow, bascially holding hands with the centre half and doesn't provide much support going forwards either. He's like a card board cut out of a left back at times.

Luke Shaw has done very well indeed. An exceptionally mature player for his age and a credit to both our academy and his family.

I can only hope last nights injury was a trivial one, because this teenager is already a important player for us.

Nige said it was just cramp.

I'm with Krackers though, he's an excellent payer but we shouldn't be relying on a 17 year old as our only decent full back. I'd don't agree that signing one will block his progress. He should be used sparringly, he's still growing don't forget and the fact is he will learn from having an experienced man competing with him for the position.

Chelsea in for him in January according to the Mail, need to get him signed on a long term contract, anyone know his current contract length?

Turkish can ask his mate Bruce Buck when he next goes for a beer with him about the Chelsea interest.

Turkish can ask his mate Bruce Buck when he next goes for a beer with him about the Chelsea interest.

Actually TurkDog told me who his mate was. It wasn't Bruce Buck, but it was just as valid. You should be less quick to judge, doing so gets you snippets of actual proper ITK info by PM. Just saying.

We need to nurture Shaw carefully to avoid a new Olly Lancashire situation (= great potential, but given too much responsibility too soon). Give him the playing time he needs to develop his game, but make sure he is not run down physically or mentally. Also agree with your assessment of Fox; for all his faults he does bring aggression and a sweet left peg to the team and Lallana did offer him little protection at times.

Actually TurkDog told me who his mate was. It wasn't Bruce Buck, but it was just as valid. You should be less quick to judge, doing so gets you snippets of actual proper ITK info by PM. Just saying.

Haha, I'll just have to make do with whatever Milton PM's me....... some good snippets in those

We need to nurture Shaw carefully to avoid a new Olly Lancashire situation (= great potential, but given too much responsibility too soon). Give him the playing time he needs to develop his game, but make sure he is not run down physically or mentally. Also agree with your assessment of Fox; for all his faults he does bring aggression and a sweet left peg to the team and Lallana did offer him little protection at times.

I'm pretty sure Olly Lancashire is a terrible analogy. But otherwise, yes.

Haha, I'll just have to make do with whatever Milton PM's me....... some good snippets in those

The three of us should meet up pre-game! I was sure, after his promises to do so, that MiltonRoader was coming to say hello to me in the Alex yesterday. If you're on the milton PM rota than lets make it a happy group!! Me and my mates, you and your mates, and Milt. What could possibly go wrong??!!

I'm pretty sure Olly Lancashire is a terrible analogy. But otherwise, yes.

We'll never know - as it was, Olly was thrown in at the deep end ;)

But yes, Lancashire was never regarded as highly as Shaw, I know, so it was not a comparison between their respective levels of ability. More the mechanism of protecting your youngsters and carefully nurturing their talent. Olly was expected to be the leader on the pitch from day one, whereas Shaw can have the "luxury" of being part of a well-functioning and stable team where he is being looked after by senior players.

I think that some from that large group of young players that fell away during our decline in the championship could have been much better players if they had been part of a settled side. As it was they got exposed to quickly and only few of them were able to cope.

Shaw to Chelsea all over twitter. Someone tell me this won't happen...for a few years. The Bridge to Chelsea move still bugs me

Benitez has said that Ashley Cole is on his way out to PSG, if not in January then definitely at the end of the season. And Chelsea don't really have a replacement lined up for him unless you include Ryan Bertrand (which I don't, not for a top 4 side). Would Shaw get into their side? Perhaps not now, but at the start of next season with a load of games behind him, you just never know.

Benitez has said that Ashley Cole is on his way out to PSG, if not in January then definitely at the end of the season. And Chelsea don't really have a replacement lined up for him unless you include Ryan Bertrand (which I don't, not for a top 4 side). Would Shaw get into their side? Perhaps not now, but at the start of next season with a load of games behind him, you just never know.

wouldn't mind letting them have him if they gave us Bertrand in exchange, unconvinced that we'd be the losers there. Why does Shaw look so old? If you asked me I'd say he looks older than most of our other players.

Nige said it was just cramp.

I'm with Krackers though, he's an excellent payer but we shouldn't be relying on a 17 year old as our only decent full back. I'd don't agree that signing one will block his progress. He should be used sparringly, he's still growing don't forget and the fact is he will learn from having an experienced man competing with him for the position.

Still growing indeed, he'll have to wear his boots a size up next season

Apparently not. http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/8291500/Luke-Shaw-is-not-thinking-of-leaving-Southampton-like-youth-stars-before-him

Tbh all these stories are bullsh*t, can't trust any of them. Unless it comes straight from the player.. even then we won't know one way or the other until Januray 31st. He's been linked with big clubs for a while so it's no surprise when reporters just drag it up for the sake of a story.

Stunning prospect. So mature for a 17 year old, but very strong as well.

Reads the game well, positions himself well and is very rarely beaten. A 17 year old kid has solved our left back crisis.

We've been lucky with the LB's we've produced in recent years, but I'd say that in his tender years Shaw looks the better defender at his age than either Bale or Bridge looked.

Bale was a joy to watch in the Championship, but often left huge gaps in behind him which were exploited - or miss read defensive situations. Shaw, first and foremost, defends. That's what I like about him.

Shaw is the real deal, he is first and foremost a great defender, but he is also now beginning to grow in confidence going forward. Its hard to believe watching him that he is 17, defensively he is much better than either Bridge or Bale. Of course comparing him to Bale now is unfair, as he has been transmogrified into an attacking MF. It pains me to say it but he reminds me of a young Neville. He is looking so good that I don't believe now that we need a LB in the Jan window, with Fox as emergency backup I think Shaw is fine, only concern is his fitness levels. We will do well to hang on to him in a year or so.

What I have noticed about him is that he very rarely lets the wide player get the ball into the box. It's just basics. STOP THE CROSS. Was superb today, be lucky to have him here at the start of next season IMO.

There's a 5 1/2 year contract on the table for him once he turns 18, and by all accounts it will be signed.

Lets hope he's not had his head turned by agents by then. Important we stay up as well IMO.

Oh, totally. If we do go down we'd lose a hell of a lot, which is why going down will seriously halt our progress IMO. Gaston, Lalalna, Shaw, Clyne, Cork, Lambert, Puncheon, Morgan - could see them all going based on how they've played this year.