Saints pay least to agents

trousers

Interesting that both Reading and WHU are so much higher than us having spent the same time in the same leagues over the period analyzed !

I'm delighted to see these figures as I totally object to any of my ticket money going to these leeches !

The players should pay a fee to their agents as they work on their behalf ! I see no reason why the clubs should pay them at all !!

Interesting that both Reading and WHU are so much higher than us having spent the same time in the same leagues over the period analyzed !

I'm delighted to see these figures as I totally object to any of my ticket money going to these leeches !

The players should pay a fee to their agents as they work on their behalf ! I see no reason why the clubs should pay them at all !!

I think it's a safe assumption that agents don't like us because they get f*ck all money from us, not because we are "difficult to deal with" as was always widely accepted.

Makes no difference if we get relegated because we didn't land the required players. When agents say we are difficult to deal with, it obviously involves money.

I think it's a safe assumption that agents don't like us because they get f*ck all money from us, not because we are "difficult to deal with" as was always widely accepted.

Makes no difference if we get relegated because we didn't land the required players. When agents say we are difficult to deal with, it obviously involves money.

Absolutely. I'm amazed clubs ever even agreed to paying them.

Absolutely. I'm amazed clubs ever even agreed to paying them.

Of course that's right; but football is a strange anomaly where its considered standard practise for the club to pay.

Of course that's right; but football is a strange anomaly where its considered standard practise for the club to pay.

So if an agent has a player on his books and he can make £100k from selling him to say, Stoke or £3k from selling him to us, which club do you think he is going to recommend?

So if an agent has a player on his books and he can make £100k from selling him to say, Stoke or £3k from selling him to us, which club do you think he is going to recommend?

Certainly on the face of it, good news, none of us want to pay out anymore to agents than we need to. However, could this also be a reason why we've missed out on signings in key areas? Also, am I right in thinking that clubs use agents in lots of different situations and not only when buying players? They are often used by selling clubs and we haven't sold anyone in that period, which might contribute to the figure being low?

What has that got to do with what I said? The fact is we aren't difficult to deal with at all, it's pretty simple. If you don't like the fact that the agent won't get paid much by us, then go somewhere else.

What has that got to do with what I said? The fact is we aren't difficult to deal with at all, it's pretty simple. If you don't like the fact that the agent won't get paid much by us, then go somewhere else.

How do you know we aren't difficult to deal with? At all? Seems like an assumption to me.

Certainly on the face of it, good news, none of us want to pay out anymore to agents than we need to. However, could this also be a reason why we've missed out on signings in key areas? Also, am I right in thinking that clubs use agents in lots of different situations and not only when buying players? They are often used by selling clubs and we haven't sold anyone in that period, which might contribute to the figure being low?

I'd say almost certainly yes. But there's no point in having a principle if you're not going to stick to it.

Well it's no wonder we never brought in any defenders or missed out on so many. As for West Ham's league position come back in 7 games time and gloat. They now face a repetition of Saints opening 7 games. They've had it easy till now.

Maybe we are `7th highest spenders' (there is no actual facts on this by the way, just speculation) because we pay pretty much all the fee to the cubs directly and they then possibly pay the agents themselves rather than pay less to the clubs and more to the agent. Who knows...

Maybe we are `7th highest spenders' (there is no actual facts on this by the way, just speculation) because we pay pretty much all the fee to the cubs directly and they then possibly pay the agents themselves rather than pay less to the clubs and more to the agent. Who knows...

This sounds plausible. You can't sign players in the modern game without making agents rich. It would be interesting to see the fees paid to agents by the clubs that have done business with us.

I agree, but presumably the clubs pay the agents because it is tax deductible for the clubs, but not for the player. Still the money we saved allows us more transfer funds, think who we could buy for the difference in the money we paid compared to our rivals.

It's laudable that we take the morale high ground, but when we did that in the Spring of 2004 it set off a chain of events that saw us drop to League 1. Still I am sure the vocal minority were happy to put the morale high ground before the best football decision for the club.

IMO you run with the hounds or accept the consequences.

• 6 months later...

Hats off to Cortese on this one. It would appear he's told Wanyama's agent(s) where to stick their supposed 7 figure demand for answering a few phone calls.

Any chance this might spark a few other chairmen into doing the same or is the football 'industry' too far up its own arse for the 'Cortese effect' to start trickling through?

Why do footballers even need agents?

I can see the need for an agent from a player's perspective - they are probably better placed to negotiate the best deal for the player than the player is himself. I just think that the authorities should ban 'buyer fees' and put the burden of paying the agents onto the player or the selling club.

Ok, that will probably lead to the selling club inflating the price so that they recoup some or all of the agent fee but at least it would remove a blockage in the transfer system.