• Lambert
    • Cork
    • Rodriguez
    • Puncheon
    • Lallana
    • Ramirez
    • Guly

Good:

- Shaw. The sequence where he watched their winger and simply outran him towards the byline was excellent defending

- The born-again Saint, Puncheon and his partnership with Clyne

- Southampton Football Club running down the clock efficiently - shock horror! Started properly around 90 minutes with our 17-year old full back showing maturity beyond his years with some excellent time-wasting by the corner flag. This was followed by a promising attack in the middle, where Lambert sent the ball out near the corner flag instead of going for goal and possibly losing possession. Were you watching, Peter Crouch?!

Bad:

- Booing Guly. Aaaaargh. "As a paying customer it is my right to help the opposition if I want to", it just doesn't make sense to me...

- Lallana's injury. Please, please let it be a minor knock or something...

- Continually failing to deal with Reading's short corners - one of those led to Robson-Kanu's header on the post. Why didn't we send someone out to stop that?!

Annoying:

- Puncheon's first goal should have stood - there was no free kick in sight and nothing that could really be mistaken as a free kick. Actually it was an unusually clean corner situation with less shirt tugging etc. than usually in modern football...

As said elsewhere Premiership v Championship. From the off Reading were scared of us, which was surprising considering They gave Manure the right runaround for the first 15 - 20 minutes last week, 10 men behind the ball was their default setting.

Shaw had their talisman Roberts in his pocket to the point that Ben from Eastenders switched him to the left in the first half: won't get much change out of Clyne you plum Brian.

Reading must have thought they got a break when Lallana went off, only to be replaced by Gaston: that's the kind of substitution you dream of.

Jose Fonte has realised that he can defend in the Premiership, a good few weeks ago he looked like he had gone a league too far the last few games he has looked like he believes in himself.

Cork is very tidy player, last season I felt that Morgan seemed to set the tempo, now Jack's back he seems to be the metronome.

Nice one Saints

Good display from us and it could easily have been more than 1-0. We dominated possession, draining the life out Reading and we also really got to grips with the middle of the park, something we failed on both occasions last season against them. Roberts was the usual thorn in our side, but we dealt with him pretty well. Apart from totally switching off at two corners we defended well. Going forward I thought Rodriguez radically changed our attack. He played on the shoulder of the last defender turning their defence round, pushing them back and providing space for the likes of Puncheon to do his stuff. Only Lallana's injury took the shine off a top top day.

Davis 7 very little to do, but caught and punched a couple of crosses and just looked more confident than Gazza.

Clyne 7 forging a decent partnership with Puncheon. They now seem to know each is going to do. A couple of errors that could have been very costly though. Get some longer studs.

Fonte 8 strong display. Some ropey passes that Rodriguez turned into good ones

Mayuka 7 I have criticised him a lot, but he was good today. He was mugged by Roberts on one occasion (but what defender hasn't been?). Some ropey passes forward like Fonte, but only one poor choice of pass (to Morgan who subsequently mis-controlled and we were in trouble) all day which is good.

Shaw 9 composed on the ball, strong off it. What a talent. £4m? Not a chance. Hope we can keep him for a long long time.

Lallana 6 didn't see enough of the ball. Worrying injury.

Cork 9 Terrific right to the end.

Morgan 6 quite a lot of poor passes from him. Not his best game by any means.

Puncheon 8 another great performance. Just does not give the ball away and that's why we are controlling games. Having so many dribblers in the side really makes us a decent side with the ball.

Lambert 7 I didn't notice him in the game too much if I am honest as my eye was taken by the Rodriguez runs, but he bullied Mariappa a fair bit

Rodriguez 7 great movement and work rate. Didn't really look like scoring and that perhaps is the one criticism of him. His touch let his down on occasions and that worries me a tad, but he more than made up for that with some direct running

Ramirez 7 I don't think he is a winger and certainly not a left midfielder, but he did a very good impression of one causing their right back loads of problems. Defensively he is not great though. Close to carving open several chances for himself, but just didn't quite run for him today.

Guly did well. Neat and tidy and posed problems. Kept the ball well and helped us over the line.

I was there and he most certainly did not win 'nearly everything'.

Still one of my favorite players, but I can only call it as I see it.

Charlie you are talking out of your backside my friend. Lambert won the majority of his headers granted not his best ever game but far from the shambles you are projecting! This is the way we should have played reading for the title last season perfect game play by us today. As for the muppet skiving Guly crap today ... Grow up! I don't care how bad you consider a player has been every player that comes on for saints deserves our full support not to be mocked.

- Continually failing to deal with Reading's short corners - one of those led to Robson-Kanu's header on the post. Why didn't we send someone out to stop that?!

we continually used to get caught out like this in the Championship, but we seemed to have worked it out that two players need to go across if they are taking a short. Very strange that forgot all about this today, twice, right after each other. Crazy. I thought it might have been because Lallana had gone off but doesn't he usually stand on the half way line these days?

we continually used to get caught out like this in the Championship, but we seemed to have worked it out that two players need to go across if they are taking a short. Very strange that forgot all about this today, twice, right after each other. Crazy. I thought it might have been because Lallana had gone off but doesn't he usually stand on the half way line these days?

It was the very same error QPR made against us, where they were too long in figuring out how to deal with our short corners. I think we managed to correct it at some point against Reading, but yes, those two in immediate succession looked peculiar. Those situations we need clear agreements between the players...

Thoroughly deserved win with a good number of positives. Puncheon and Lambert were both excellent, and Shaw is growing with each game. His full debut against Swansea saw him over-committing on several occasions but, a mere five games later, he looks like he's been playing for several seasons at the top level. It's interesting that a few fans think that Cork had a good game today. I thought he was poor for the first 65 minutes and had a strong end to the match. The big improvement is the fact that we've only conceded twice in the last four matches. We will stay up if this continues, as we have the ability to score goals. A win against Sunderland will put us within striking distance of having 20 points after half of our games in the league. Extrapolated, that's 40 points, and that may be enough to get us over the line this year. Stick with Nigel - he knows what he's doing.

Thanks...due for a run as our first team goalie and perhaps a new goalie in Jan ?

I'm not sure signing a 4th goalie would sit easily with the yo-yo strategy.

Given the central aim of the club's strategy is to get relegated this season, before waiting to get promoted next season, it would be a major error to sign a good keeper, I'd have thought.

Very good performance. Looked assured and confident, and didn't let last year's game haunt us.

Lambert's work rate outside the finishing zone was at full show today, Cork/Schneiderlin ran the show and apart from a couple of times where they were caught in possession they were perfect. Puncheon has got me into a love/hate relationship with him. I was really annoyed when in the first half he made a poor attempt of reaching a long ball, and sometimes his crop-circling skills from advantageous attacking positions get me on my nerves, but his partnership with Clyne is great and today that was another good move to create a good finish! Also he's one of the few in our team who has the guts to shoot from outside the area without feeling the need to walk the ball into the net.

Thought Fonte kept them at bay, and made some very crucial tackles/clearances in the first half, preventing them from creating a chance altogether! Him and Yoshida look good enough for the rest of the season for me, any CB we want to bring should be for a back-up role.

Certainly a more comfortable look at the table today, a win v. Sunderland still crucial!

Am very surprised that some seem to have the view that (a) SRL wasn't cutting it and (b) J-Rod had a really good game.

I'd give Rickie 8/10, a truly excellent performance. Not his best of the season, but not far off.

I'd give Jay 6.5/10. Not bad, but not lethal enough. He hasn't convinced me yet, but he had one of his better games. I'm not anti, but still unsure he was worth £6m. Here's hoping.

So with Puncheon able to talk to other clubs in January and his contract expiring in the summer have we offered him a new contract and will he accept it?

Our match winner's future is very much in the balance.

I guess that will depend on who we had lined up to replace him and at what price......

Suppose we'd be OK with swapping JP for Messi....

Thought Kelvin made a big difference - no saves of note to make but he came out and caught everything he needed to and just exudes a spirit of calmness and professionalism that spreads across the back 4.

There was one moment yesterday where Yoshida shepherded the ball out for a goal kick and the attacker went in late on him. Kelvin went over, helped pick Maya up and gave him some encouragement. Gazza doesn't offer that: in the Norwich game, we were awarded a free-kick. Maya was going to take it only for Gazza to come over and push him and tell him to f**k off down the pitch. Small things but they matter.

Good display from us and it could easily have been more than 1-0. We dominated possession, draining the life out Reading and we also really got to grips with the middle of the park, something we failed on both occasions last season against them. Roberts was the usual thorn in our side, but we dealt with him pretty well. Apart from totally switching off at two corners we defended well. Going forward I thought Rodriguez radically changed our attack. He played on the shoulder of the last defender turning their defence round, pushing them back and providing space for the likes of Puncheon to do his stuff. Only Lallana's injury took the shine off a top top day.

Davis 7 very little to do, but caught and punched a couple of crosses and just looked more confident than Gazza.

Clyne 7 forging a decent partnership with Puncheon. They now seem to know each is going to do. A couple of errors that could have been very costly though. Get some longer studs.

Mayuka 7 I have criticised him a lot, but he was good today. He was mugged by Roberts on one occasion (but what defender hasn't been?). Some ropey passes forward like Fonte, but only one poor choice of pass (to Morgan who subsequently mis-controlled and we were in trouble) all day which is good.

Shaw 9 composed on the ball, strong off it. What a talent. £4m? Not a chance. Hope we can keep him for a long long time.

Puncheon 8 another great performance. Just does not give the ball away and that's why we are controlling games. Having so many dribblers in the side really makes us a decent side with the ball.

Lambert 7 I didn't notice him in the game too much if I am honest as my eye was taken by the Rodriguez runs, but he bullied Mariappa a fair bit

Rodriguez 7 great movement and work rate. Didn't really look like scoring and that perhaps is the one criticism of him. His touch let his down on occasions and that worries me a tad, but he more than made up for that with some direct running

Ramirez 7 I don't think he is a winger and certainly not a left midfielder, but he did a very good impression of one causing their right back loads of problems. Defensively he is not great though. Close to carving open several chances for himself, but just didn't quite run for him today.

Guly did well. Neat and tidy and posed problems. Kept the ball well and helped us over the line.

Mayuka played CB yesterday?

;)

Shaw is an awesome prospect, how good will he be when he's fully developed?

With him and Clyne looking this solid we look like a unit.

On the refs, yes we have had some shocking examples but MoTD just demonstrates the appaling quality on show at the moment.

Thankfully we haven't been robbed too much yet, but it will happen.

Their boss must be hugely embarrassed at the current crop - as a group they are the worst I've seen for a while.

Some of the decisions in other games beggar belief - and it looks like a linesman these days is nothing more than a ref who is so bad they won't let him have a whistle.

A good team might have equalised from those two ridiculous free-kicks at the death, then again a good ref would've allowed the 'goal' or awarded a penalty for the push by the keeper.

But the best thing for me is we look so much better than many of the teams around us.

QPR v Wigan was like a Keystone Cops convention, Villa are toothless, Sunderland in freefall.

IF this run of form continues and we can get some cosnistency away from home, you have to take your hat off to Nige who was right on the brink a few weeks back - and to Nicola for not jumping the gun, despite the media heaping the pressure on.

It's like we had a plan all along...sort of.

two pacey fullbacks, it's like all our christmas came at once. Clyne is not the finished article either.

Pretty much agree with all that, but it was Yoshida and not Mayuka playing centre back for us.

Still felt we were a bit shaky at the back at times, against what is a very average Reading side.

On the refs, yes we have had some shocking examples but MoTD just demonstrates the appaling quality on show at the moment.

Thankfully we haven't been robbed too much yet, but it will happen.

Their boss must be hugely embarrassed at the current crop - as a group they are the worst I've seen for a while.

Some of the decisions in other games beggar belief - and it looks like a linesman these days is nothing more than a ref who is so bad they won't let him have a whistle.

A good team might have equalised from those two ridiculous free-kicks at the death, then again a good ref would've allowed the 'goal' or awarded a penalty for the push by the keeper.

But the best thing for me is we look so much better than many of the teams around us.

QPR v Wigan was like a Keystone Cops convention, Villa are toothless, Sunderland in freefall.

IF this run of form continues and we can get some cosnistency away from home, you have to take your hat off to Nige who was right on the brink a few weeks back - and to Nicola for not jumping the gun, despite the media heaping the pressure on.

It's like we had a plan all along...sort of.

The ref practically decided the Arsenal-WBA game himself. He gave Arsenal two ridiculous penalties, the first one was a blatant dive by Cazorla and the second one was an even more blatant push by AOC in the build up. He then doesn't give a penalty to WBA despite a clear handball from Mertesacker was it?? How the ref and linesman missed that was simply incredible.

Thought Kelvin made a big difference - no saves of note to make but he came out and caught everything he needed to and just exudes a spirit of calmness and professionalism that spreads across the back 4.

There was one moment yesterday where Yoshida shepherded the ball out for a goal kick and the attacker went in late on him. Kelvin went over, helped pick Maya up and gave him some encouragement. Gazza doesn't offer that: in the Norwich game, we were awarded a free-kick. Maya was going to take it only for Gazza to come over and push him and tell him to f**k off down the pitch. Small things but they matter.

Said after the game, at least half of a keeper's job is to do all the unseen things, talking to the back 4, sweeping up behind them etc and that's what he did very well. Plus was reasonably comfortable against Reading's corners and set pieces. Hopefully see Davis have a settled run in the team for a little while now.

I guess that will depend on who we had lined up to replace him and at what price......

Suppose we'd be OK with swapping JP for Messi....

Would depend on how bad Messi's injury is though. I heard it may not be a problem in which case we could take a punt on the lad I guess. Would probably have to change Lallana's song though.

If it had been Lallana it would have been a 'great save'. Because it's Guly, he's useless and **** and it was 'missed'. Bull****, It was a decent effort - yes ok probably should have scored, but he didn't the keeper made a decent save. Get over it.

At the time I thouht it looked quite a simple chance, but on the replays last night it was much more difficult than it looked. He really had to dig it out to get much on it at all, he made the keeper work and make a decent save.

At the time I thouht it looked quite a simple chance, but on the replays last night it was much more difficult than it looked. He really had to dig it out to get much on it at all, he made the keeper work and make a decent save.

They didn't show it on MOTD, shame as I was looking forward to seeing it again. Where did you see it?

They didn't show it on MOTD, shame as I was looking forward to seeing it again. Where did you see it?

Match Replay on sky. They show about 40 minutes worth of highlights, or (if it's the "game of the day") the entire match. Game of the day thankfully is not picked beforehand so Saints have been on there a couple of times, Villa and QPR.

Excellent display.

Shaw and Clyne look fantastic on each side, incredible how composed they are for ones so young, especially Shaw.

Lambert's hold up play was very good, his passing is first class.

Rodriguez looked very busy, just wouldn't break for him in the first half, but positive signs.

Such a well worked goal, great finish from Puncheon.

It was nice how comfortable we looked in stoppage time as well.

Thoroughly deserved win with a good number of positives. Puncheon and Lambert were both excellent, and Shaw is growing with each game. His full debut against Swansea saw him over-committing on several occasions but, a mere five games later, he looks like he's been playing for several seasons at the top level. It's interesting that a few fans think that Cork had a good game today. I thought he was poor for the first 65 minutes and had a strong end to the match. The big improvement is the fact that we've only conceded twice in the last four matches. We will stay up if this continues, as we have the ability to score goals. A win against Sunderland will put us within striking distance of having 20 points after half of our games in the league. Extrapolated, that's 40 points, and that may be enough to get us over the line this year. Stick with Nigel - he knows what he's doing.

Yup, we need 5 points from the next 3 games to be at 20 for the half season mark. Definitely possible and I really think we will continue to improve as the season goes on. With such a young team, there are lots of positives.

In January I think we need another CB & defensive midfielder (as no real DM cover for Morgan & Cork - 2 proper DM working in tandem has IMO been the prime reason for our recent improvement). Another experienced GK would be ideal too, but only if better than Kelvin or Boruc.

With those additions you would have to favour our chances of staying up.

Yup, we need 5 points from the next 3 games to be at 20 for the half season mark. Definitely possible and I really think we will continue to improve as the season goes on. With such a young team, there are lots of positives.

In January I think we need another CB & defensive midfielder (as no real DM cover for Morgan & Cork - 2 proper DM working in tandem has IMO been the prime reason for our recent improvement). Another experienced GK would be ideal too, but only if better than Kelvin or Boruc.

With those additions you would have to favour our chances of staying up.

At least one CB is a certainty, I got the impression we were still searching for one extra in August. DMC - possibly but JWP can also play there. Can't see us signing a 4th keeper although Boruc is only on a year's deal I guess.

Yesterday was excellent, dominated and how it only ended 1-0 is anyone's guess. Thought the ref had made a blooper with Punch's header even live, seemed to be more a tangle between Fedirici and his defender. Don't think anyone had a poor game and considering Reading are scoring goals regularly we restricted them well apart from hitting the post and ALF's header late on. Hope Adam and Yoshi are OK because we need them both fit.

Charlie you are talking out of your backside my friend. Lambert won the majority of his headers granted not his best ever game but far from the shambles you are projecting! This is the way we should have played reading for the title last season perfect game play by us today. As for the muppet skiving Guly crap today ... Grow up! I don't care how bad you consider a player has been every player that comes on for saints deserves our full support not to be mocked.

The above post is yet another example of how some only see what they want/expect to see during a football match, rather than what actually occurred. To boldly claim that RL "won the majority of his headers" yesterday is just plain silly, as this bares no resemblance to the truth of the matter. Now while he's been with us he certainly has bossed more than his fair share of defenders around - I'll grant you that - but during this match Reading obviously identified him as the main aerial danger (this is hardly Rocket Science) and they made damn sure they had two big defenders on him most of the time. I must add that during this match that strategy working quite successfully for them in the main.

Now normally I don't mind a spot of hyperbole in debate every now and then, but it is of course grossly unfair to claim that I described RL's performance as a "shambles" nor for that matter is there any truth at all in the (evidence free) allegation that I see Guly as a lazy, or skiving, player.

A honorable man would withdraw these baseless remarks.

Fantastic TEAM performance, especially the goal which Lambert and Clyne made happen. But you have to give Puncheon so much credit - he is an incredibly gifted player now he's sorted his head out and I really hopy we can do business with him to stay for some years to come. He and Clyne are the real deal together.

Shaw is simply immense for his 17 years (it hardly computes that he is that young and yet plays with such maturity) - has to be worth £15m easy. If we were to find a Puncheon equivelant on the left to link as well with Shaw and track back, we would be unstoppable, although to be fair Lallana has improved a little in the defensive side of his game.

Kelv and the defence side of things were pretty good, however it has to be said there's still improvement needed, as this was a poor, poor Reading side. Roberts is quite simply a cheat - no other word describes what he gets up to.

The Guly boo-ers can go do one IMO - the lad has not been my fav player of late, but to boo your own player ON to the field is moronic. He actually did a very good job.

Last word for Nigel. I thought the tactics, team selection and subs all looked perfect today. I would prefer us to be more decisive in attack when only 1-0 up, however the three points is what matters most. A win against Sunderland and our season looks all of a sudden to be a bit more exciting.

So with Puncheon able to talk to other clubs in January and his contract expiring in the summer have we offered him a new contract and will he accept it?

Our match winner's future is very much in the balance.

It is a good point that you make, and one I didn't ever imagine anyone worrying about 10 months ago. An astonishing turnaround in fortunes if I'm honest.

Would expect that the club are on top of this though. They're usually very quick to tie down players.

The above post is yet another example of how some only see what they want/expect to see during a football match, rather than what actually occurred. To boldly claim that RL "won the majority of his headers" yesterday is just plain silly, as this bares no resemblance to the truth of the matter.

Agree with you Charlie. RL had a decent game yesterday but he certainly did not "win the majority of headers". He "lost" many unfairly, the Reading defenders were constantly nudging him in the back and sometimes RL deliberately stands firm and lets the defenders climb over him for what should be a free kick. Other aspects of his game yesterday were very good, defensively and in midfield and his creativity is top drawer, but it appeared he left his shooting boots in the changing room. As you say some people tend to see what they want to see rather than what actually occurs.

Very impressed with the all-round performance yesterday.Can the Moronic Few who booed Guly coming on please eff off to Notarfcrap where you belong!?In all of my years supporting Saints I have NEVER booed one of our own players.Highlight of yesterday was the Saint who shouted to Roberts 'You're crap on the Radio too!'

anyone shed any light why the goal was ruled out...?

Having watched the highlights, federici pushes yoshida which makes it look like yoshida has pushed the reading defender in front of him, for which the ref gives a foul.

In short, a bloody terrible decision which thankfully didn't cost us

Having watched the highlights, federici pushes yoshida which makes it look like yoshida has pushed the reading defender in front of him, for which the ref gives a foul.

In short, a bloody terrible decision which thankfully didn't cost us

Agreed, but you could well argue that Reading should have had a pen for Cork's trip on Tabb in the first half, so the two probably balance themselves out.

Agreed, but you could well argue that Reading should have had a pen for Cork's trip on Tabb in the first half, so the two probably balance themselves out.

Cork didn't trip Tabb, watch it again. Even if they did get a penalty, it isn't a guaranteed goal, where as there was nothing wrong with the disallowed Puncheon first half goal, as noted Federici pushed Yoshida into a Reading defender and fooled the ref. Plus Saints could have had a penalty for a foul (clear shirt pull) on Fonte in the first half.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Good clean sheet, despite the best efforts of the referee to give them dangerous free kicks round the edge of the box.

I have to give Guly credit for his very good cameo at the end, I must admit I was wincing as he came on but he proved me wrong.