Fellaini - what would YOU do?

the saint in winchester

So, we all saw him on MOTD last night - 3 red card offences missed by the officials.

Good on David Moyes for not dodging the bullet with any crap like "I didn't see it".

He has apologised.

What should happen next?

a) Leave it there - he knows he was an idiot.

b) He should get a 3 match ban.

c) He should get a long ban - 3 red card offences!

d) Nothing - Shawcross deserved it.

e) Any other comment - write your own.

I'm a c) btw. Applaud Moyes for his comments but would have liked to have seen Moyes take him off after the first "challenge" (the headbutt).

Okay, I'll offer a different opinion.

Watch it, watch it closely. It's NOT a headbutt, it's him forcing his head marginally in to the guy's head and he drops like a sack of sh*t before there's real contact - watch it!! Shawcross was trying to play the game, falling down and looks like a complete woofter. I wouldn't like to see any ban at all.

The problem with giving him (effectively) 3 different red cards is that he couldn't possibly have received all those red cards if the officials had done their jobs and spotted his actions as and when they happened. If he'd been sent off for the first headbutt he couldn't have done the others. That said; to continue doing what he was doing just shows a worrying level of stupidity.

I think the FA will likely bottle it and just go with a 3, maybe 4 game ban. Personally I'd give him a 5 or 6 game ban. Plus Shawcross made too much of a meal of the headbutt, it was a bit embarrassing; I'd give him a one game ban for simulation (and a kicks in the balls to tell him to man up, he's a centre half FFS).

Okay, I'll offer a different opinion.

Watch it, watch it closely. It's NOT a headbutt, it's him forcing his head marginally in to the guy's head and he drops like a sack of sh*t before there's real contact - watch it!! Shawcross was trying to play the game, falling down and looks like a complete woofter. I wouldn't like to see any ban at all.

I know exactly what you're saying, but the FA don't see it that way. Any kind of contact head to head is considered a headbutt, and the third offence was just a push in the face - but any action that puts hand to face like that is considered a straight red.

If the FA are consistent with their usual punishments, then that's three clear red card offences, and it should be a minimum of a nine match ban.

As for Moyes: I'm glad he didn't do a Wenger, and condemned it. Did he say he say it at the time, or only on replay? I got the impression it was only on replay - would be interested to know what he'd have done if he'd actually seen it live?

(On a similar point, I'd be interested to know what other managers - Fergie, Adkins, Redknapp, etc. - would do if they saw one of their own players blatantly headbutt an opponent, but the ref not spot it.)

Lol, he looked like some bratty little kid, having a quick look to see if the ref was watching before butting him and then later has the same quick peek before the push/punch.

I was at a game where Dean Windass collected 3 reds, nasty foul, mouthing off and then throwing a corner flag. Mind you as said above if Fellaini have walked for the first offense the others wouldn't have happened. 3 game ban.

He's been given a 3 game ban!

Just for the headbutt.

The other 2 incidents aren't deemed as violent conduct apparently.

So what did Shawcross get for holding him in. The rules say, penalty and booked. No reply needed, it's a joke. Referees need to give penalties for holding as the rules require. Even if it means loads of penalties because that would stamp it out.

So what did Shawcross get for holding him in. The rules say, penalty and booked. No reply needed, it's a joke. Referees need to give penalties for holding as the rules require. Even if it means loads of penalties because that would stamp it out.

I hate the way it's seen as acceptable these days. The referees and authorities are failing in their duty to the game.