Rupert Lowe Returns!!

Saint-Armstrong

....to football.

With...... Garforth Town alongside Simon Clifford.

Just like the good old days. :lol:

Will he be in goal or up front?

Bet he puts no money into the club...:rolleyes:

Build a big stadium that he never pays for and takes out massive wages for himself.:p

Bring on the Rupert Ra Ra girlz and Majorettes..

Edited by ottery st mary

Simon Clifford has asked me to help him restore the fortunes of SOCATOTS, Brazilian Soccer Schools and Garforth Town FC. I have agreed to do so and with some exceptional support from Dominic McNally, Mark Hanson, Fred Lowe, my secretary Jane Sheldrake and some able professional advisers we have already made impressive progress on both fronts.

When Simon approached me some three weeks ago, I was well aware of the excellence of the coaching programme that he has developed. We worked together when I was Chairman of Southampton Football Club. I had built up the Academy which had produced players such as Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain, Adam Lallana, Nathan Dyer, along with many others, and Clive Woodward and I identified Simon Clifford as the most exciting coach with the best philosophy for teaching young people to play exciting, attacking, entertaining and, most importantly, winning football. He would have helped to hone and improve our very talented young players but, as is often the case in football, we were not able to complete my long term plan and I was ousted from the Club in 2006. My confidence in the efficacy of the SOCATOTS and Brazilian Soccer Schools product has been underlined by the enthusiasm and belief of people like Nick and Steph Aresti in South Africa, Will Partington in Jersey, Stuart Owen in Harrogate and Dave Sellar in Lichfield. I have not had the opportunity to speak to all our Franchisees but hope to do so over the coming months. We have now restored the website and email to full working order and will have all our systems/kit supplies operating within a short space of time. We intend to work from the offices of Garforth Town and I would urge any Franchisees to contact either Dominic McNally on telephone 07734669115 or email dominic@braziliansoccerschools.com or Jane Sheldrake on telephone 01242 890350 or email jane.sheldrake@braziliansoccerschools.com if they have any urgent need of support. We will be contacting all Franchisees over the course of the next month in any event.

Simon Clifford has agreed to resume responsibility for the Garforth Town FC first team again as well as helping to support our Franchisees with their coaching programmes. What Simon has achieved over the past decade is quite exceptional but I believe that with the right structure around him there is a great deal more to come.

Thank you for your support over the past few months, we all look forward to meeting and working with you moving forward.

Simon Clifford wondered why Brazil is so much better at football than England. He investigated it thoroughly! He found it weren't cos they've got 4 times the population, or cos more of their kids play football, or cos they don't do any other sports. It's cos they play with a smaller ****ing ball. Visionary!

How are Garforth Town getting on with their tilt for the premier league in 20 years which they must be about 10 years into now? Last time i checked they were Northern Premier League so only need 8 promotions in 10 years to make it.

Not too well it seems. Bottom of the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League First Division having recently lost at home to that top club Curzon-Ashton 6-1 in front of a mind boggling crowd of around 60. Goal difference of -63 with 5 points and no wins. What is Rupert doing!?

Godammit.

What I hate about this is the fact that at the heart of the matter he & Clifford are right.... (and the FA agree with that sentiment)

ie that the teaching of football to kids in the UK is wrong.....

What I (and the rest of reality) have an issue with is the WAY that SC (and again Rupert) want to go about it.

Playing with a smaller ball - well, sorry lads, we did that in the school playground 40 years ago when we were only allowed tennis balls or "mini balls" as did many other schools - it didn't work then and won't work now.

Don't worry FF, you'll get to dance on a footballing concept grave before they walk over yours again

Not too well it seems. Bottom of the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League First Division having recently lost at home to that top club Curzon-Ashton 6-1 in front of a mind boggling crowd of around 60. Goal difference of -63 with 5 points and no wins. What is Rupert doing!?

Jesus christ!

Godammit.

What I hate about this is the fact that at the heart of the matter he & Clifford are right.... (and the FA agree with that sentiment)

What I (and the rest of reality) have an issue with is the WAY that SC (and again Rupert) want to go about it.

Playing with a smaller ball - well, sorry lads, we did that in the school playground 40 years ago when we were only allowed tennis balls or "mini balls" as did many other schools - it didn't work then and won't work now.

Don't worry FF, you'll get to dance on a footballing concept grave before they walk over yours again

I'm not sure that I agree Phil. Some of the undoubted masters of the past honed their skills on tennis balls - Sir Stanley Mathews for one. And I am pretty sure that George Best did not spend over much of his time as a youngster playing with a full sized ball. They were in short supply and expensive when I was a kid (about the same time). I don't want to trample on any dreams but perhaps it didn't work for you and your mates was because you weren't good enough ;)

Good RL still sounds bitter about getting the elbow from us.

People talk as though RL invented the acadamy system, clubs have been bringing players through since year dot.

Of course he is bitter the group that replaced him were an appaling bunch of fantasists who tried to bankrupt the club with a reckless gamble that didn't pay off.

Yes clubs have been bringing through player since football started but RL did build us a world class accademy with all the best facilties when other clubs were spending all heir money on foriegn mecenaries, had it not been for his sensible investment in a stadium and the training ground/academy we could be in the same boat as a club like Sheffield Wednesday

People knock Lowe, but the fact is that Cortese is basically Lowe with private funding.

Complete and utter tosh. There are as many similarities between chalk and cheese. I'd be interested to see your list of areas where there are similarities between the two of them, I really would, because background certainly isn't one of them, nor is the way that they came to be associated with the club, or the way that they present themselves to the media or to the fanbase.

Complete and utter tosh. There are as many similarities between chalk and cheese. I'd be interested to see your list of areas where there are similarities between the two of them, I really would, because background certainly isn't one of them, nor is the way that they came to be associated with the club, or the way that they present themselves to the media or to the fanbase.

Some people are so blinded by hatred it's funny.

There's actually a lot of ways in which Lowe and Cortese are actually very similar. Both privately educated; both with no real sporting background prior to their arrival at Saints; both investing with other people's money and installing themself as CEO; both fairly autocratic figures; both willing to try innovative business solutions as opposed to contunuing with the norm; both recognised the advantage of building upon the strength of the academy; neither really had a grip of management of their own PR; both of their willingness to be involved with aspects of the first team management in particular transfers; and in particular a desire to grow various parts of the business and make it a market leader, even if we couldn't do that on the pitch.

There are ways in which they're quite different, of course. Cortese's ability to find significant external funding; Cortese's (so far) ability to spot a very good manager; Lowe's complete financial prudence of not committing to spend money we don't have.

But to say there's not some obvious similarities between the two is a bit daft, really. Both have their own styles but they're far more alike than some people would care to admit. And I'm not even sure I know why that's instantly seen as a bad thing. Both Lowe and Cortese have done some very, very good things for this club.

There's actually a lot of ways in which Lowe and Cortese are actually very similar. Both privately educated; both with no real sporting background prior to their arrival at Saints; both investing with other people's money and installing themself as CEO; both fairly autocratic figures; both willing to try innovative business solutions as opposed to contunuing with the norm; both recognised the advantage of building upon the strength of the academy; neither really had a grip of management of their own PR; both of their willingness to be involved with aspects of the first team management in particular transfers; and in particular a desire to grow various parts of the business and make it a market leader, even if we couldn't do that on the pitch.

There are ways in which they're quite different, of course. Cortese's ability to find significant external funding; Cortese's (so far) ability to spot a very good manager; Lowe's complete financial prudence of not committing to spend money we don't have.

But to say there's not some obvious similarities between the two is a bit daft, really. Both have their own styles but they're far more alike than some people would care to admit. And I'm not even sure I know why that's instantly seen as a bad thing. Both Lowe and Cortese have done some very, very good things for this club.

Problem is how forgiving or not fans are for failings... Unltimately, as far as fans go, its is rightly always about success on the pitch - get that right and most will be happy not thinking about the chairman, their personality or all the other politcal rubbish that we have seen debated till the cows come home over Lowe and now Cortese. Get that wrong, and then its open season on very personality and charctaer 'flaw' with a big dose of emotional 'hatred' thrown in for good measure.

You cant defend personality or character 'flaws' - even though we ALL have them. But looking back its pretty clear that some of the ideas that challenged conventional football approaches, were not bad in themselves, just poorly executed or inadequately funded. Many of Lowe's approaches would be great to try with a lower league club, but not with a prem club fighting for survival.

Many will scoff when clubs try new things - but IMHO, you have two choices - you accept that your finance is never going to allow you to challenge beyond mediocrity...and be prepared for the Villa stagnation, or you try and look at every aspect, flip it on its head and seek to eek out small advantages here and there. Lowe never invented the academy system, but he was prepared to invest in this and Bath up to 2mil a year, when many clubs simply did not, and many of OUR fans at the time were constantly saying this should be spent on the first team.

Woodward and other ideas, were not bad, but timing was stupid, roles and responsibilities were clearly not defined to allow proper function.

I like teh idea that we the club tries to be as progressive as it can and finances allow, rather than taking the route of spend, spend on wage and players whilst ignoring infrastructure and youth. If any club is ever going to break the mould and prove that big wages and transfers are not always necessary to get at least cyclical success, then any chairman willing to explore all possibilties is not so bad in my book - but we have to accept that mistakes will happen and they can be costly in what is a very delecate balance between success (survival) and failure (relegation).... as fans weare never forgiving of that failure, no matter how decent the chairman is - if teh chairman also happens to be an arrogant ego driven figure of hate to start with, he has no chance.

...at the very least, Lowe did one thing right. Our prem finances were in order. Something we have mostly learned to appreciate given the hideous mess others find themselves in.

Exactly, good post. I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, but it's funny to see it go unnoticed by some.

Problem is how forgiving or not fans are for failings... Unltimately, as far as fans go, its is rightly always about success on the pitch - get that right and most will be happy not thinking about the chairman, their personality or all the other politcal rubbish that we have seen debated till the cows come home over Lowe and now Cortese. Get that wrong, and then its open season on very personality and charctaer 'flaw' with a big dose of emotional 'hatred' thrown in for good measure.

You cant defend personality or character 'flaws' - even though we ALL have them. But looking back its pretty clear that some of the ideas that challenged conventional football approaches, were not bad in themselves, just poorly executed or inadequately funded. Many of Lowe's approaches would be great to try with a lower league club, but not with a prem club fighting for survival.

Many will scoff when clubs try new things - but IMHO, you have two choices - you accept that your finance is never going to allow you to challenge beyond mediocrity...and be prepared for the Villa stagnation, or you try and look at every aspect, flip it on its head and seek to eek out small advantages here and there. Lowe never invented the academy system, but he was prepared to invest in this and Bath up to 2mil a year, when many clubs simply did not, and many of OUR fans at the time were constantly saying this should be spent on the first team.

Woodward and other ideas, were not bad, but timing was stupid, roles and responsibilities were clearly not defined to allow proper function.

I like teh idea that we the club tries to be as progressive as it can and finances allow, rather than taking the route of spend, spend on wage and players whilst ignoring infrastructure and youth. If any club is ever going to break the mould and prove that big wages and transfers are not always necessary to get at least cyclical success, then any chairman willing to explore all possibilties is not so bad in my book - but we have to accept that mistakes will happen and they can be costly in what is a very delecate balance between success (survival) and failure (relegation).... as fans weare never forgiving of that failure, no matter how decent the chairman is - if teh chairman also happens to be an arrogant ego driven figure of hate to start with, he has no chance.

...at the very least, Lowe did one thing right. Our prem finances were in order. Something we have mostly learned to appreciate given the hideous mess others find themselves in.

Interesting piece

I would agree that Rupert Lowe had some good ideas but his demeanour and self promotion (who can forget that obviously self penned letter of support read out at the last Shareholders meet) did not strike a cord with the majority of the fans.

I am very surprised Rupert has decided to dip his toe in the water at such a low level and not re-surfaced higher up the Leagues.

Simon Clifford has a reputation in the lower leagues as a loud mouth with dodgy shoes and dreadful rambling grammar.

Check out his rant in April this year when Garforth played Curzon Ashton.

Perhaps Rupert, with the benefit of his public school education, can tutor Clifford Minor in the correct way of producing the written word.

Interesting piece

I would agree that Rupert Lowe had some good ideas but his demeanour and self promotion (who can forget that obviously self penned letter of support read out at the last Shareholders meet) did not strike a cord with the majority of the fans.

I am very surprised Rupert has decided to dip his toe in the water at such a low level and not re-surfaced higher up the Leagues.

Simon Clifford has a reputation in the lower leagues as a loud mouth with dodgy shoes and dreadful rambling grammar.

Check out his rant in April this year when Garforth played Curzon Ashton.

Perhaps Rupert, with the benefit of his public school education, can tutor Clifford Minor in the correct way of producing the written word.

:-)

Dont know much about Clifford to be honest, and from what I have read, he seems at best a maverick without any 'unique' ideas - but that's the point I guess. Lowe/Clifford/woodward etc al, none of them had 'new' concepts or 'innovative' ideas, just thsoe used in other countries, other sports etc, and the idea to try them in football - easy to mock it as its hardly set the game alight with success, but I wonder how much of that is down to a flawed idea - versus flawed or poorly funded execution? In addition, football and its fans ae often resistant to change - which is partly the reasn we have fallen so far bhind o the international stage.

both with no real sporting background prior to their arrival at Saints;

Cortese was involved for ten years in sports business practice as head of the sports and entertainment desk at various Swiss banks, including running sports business desk for Credit Suisse.

Rupert Lowe ran old people homes.

Cortese was involved for ten years in sports business practice as head of the sports and entertainment desk at various Swiss banks, including running sports business desk for Credit Suisse.

Rupert Lowe ran old people homes.

I'm aware of Cortese's background, despite being on a sports desk it had little to do with an actual sporting background. He provided banking services specifically to sports clubs and individuals.

Godammit.

Worked for me.

He wasn't involved in SPORTS finance for a decade.

This is going round in circles. If you consider Cortese's background to be a true sporting background then good on you; I don't, so continue to disagree if you wish. I consider Cortese's to be a financial background; the arena he worked in was certainly more valid to the job than Lowe's particular financial background, but both of them came to the job as CEO with little relevant football background experience.

Here's a question from the Echo shortly after Cortese joined the club.

I wonder if you think the fact you don’t come from a footballing background and he [Pardew] was a latecomer to the game and had a career before gives you both a sense of perspective that is often lacking in football?

I would think that it gives wide horizons because we have other experiences and that helps us. People always want things to be complete and in this business you face a lot of people who have been for all their life in football and they have a tunnel view – they don’t know what’s going on outside. Football does get you 100 per cent and I understand that, but I have experiences before, a remarkable career in banking, and that helps me keep a wider view on certain things. When I take decisions it is not purely what is in front of me but I look at the consequences and if it goes wrong how could we deal with it.

Edited by The Kraken

This is going round in circles. If you consider Cortese's background to be a true sporting background then good on you; I don't, so continue to disagree if you wish. I consider Cortese's to be a financial background; the arena he worked in was certainly more valid to the job than Lowe's particular financial background, but both of them came to the job as CEO with little relevant football background experience.

serious question...

how many owners/chairman actually have pure football/sporting back grounds??