Rupert Lowe Returns!!

Saint-Armstrong

liverpool and man U...both have sporting owners...

cant really think of many.....which is odd when you think about it...

Probably a lot to do with the fact that until recently playing football professionally didn't make you rich. Most former pros had to look to carry on working after they hung up their boots; either staying within the game, owning pubs, Dave Armstrong and Jimmy Case worked for a local office stationery company (Jimmy used to drive the van that delivered to my old office).

I'd suggest it'll become more common over the next few years though; as players have the financial capital behind them, and they are also a superstar presence for marketing purposes. Beckham is already receiving all sorts of suitors to front an MLS expansion team, I think its inevitable that some former star players will look to get involved with ownership in the near future.

Not many. Dave Whelan is one the Premier League that does, so its not exactly unknown. Niall Quinn at Sunderland another.

So Lowe and Cortese are alike because neither of them are Dave Whelan.

They may be similar in some ways (not many IMO) but background wise they are poles apart.

So Lowe and Cortese are alike because neither of them are Dave Whelan.

They may be similar in some ways (not many IMO) but background wise they are poles apart.

You really are quite a baffling figure. Did I say they were alike because of one fact? I'm pretty sure I listed quite a few things they had in common; which in itself was a response to an assertion that they had less in common than chalk and cheese.

Both of their backgrounds are in banking. Cortese for 10 years at Swiss banks including Credit Suisse. Lowe at London banks including Morgan Grenfell, and Deutsche Bank. If that is poles apart in your world then so be it.

You really are quite a baffling figure. Did I say they were alike because of one fact? I'm pretty sure I listed quite a few things they had in common; which in itself was a response to an assertion that they had less in common than chalk and cheese.

Both of their backgrounds are in banking. Cortese for 10 years at Swiss banks including Credit Suisse. Lowe at London banks including Morgan Grenfell, and Deutsche Bank. If that is poles apart in your world then so be it.

Maybe we should just agree to dis-agree that Sports finance is anything to do with sports.

Maybe we should just agree to dis-agree that Sports finance is anything to do with sports.

Perhaps. Or maybe we could just agree that my original comment was part of a list of 9 or 10 factors that RL and NC have/had in common, including the fact that they came to the football club with a similar background that wasn't to do with playing for or running sports clubs.

Cortese came via a banking background in sports investment and through that, interested Markus Liebherr in taking us over, so it isn't exactly true that neither Lowe nor Cortese were totally uninvolved in football before they came to the club.

Lowe might have come from a banking background but was in business in a relatively small way running retirement homes, when he arrived at the club. He came to us via the morally corrupt reverse takeover, when arguably there were other groups who were interested in us, but who were not given the chance to make their bids, unlike the Cortese/Liebherr scenario where they were the ones delayed by the tyre-kickers.

Lowe was the product of an English Public school education, whereas as far as I know, Cortese was not. He is Tweed and Saville Row, Hockey and Rugby, Cortese is Armani and football. Lowe brought no real investment into the club, whereas Cortese brought a billionaire to the table.

Yes, they both perceive the development of the academy as an important part of the club's future development. But Lowe as part of keeping our heads above the water, to generate future income and knowing that we would be forced to sell those players to keep a level keel financially, whereas Cortese's desire is to keep those players as an investment in our future, to improve the team without a need to sell.

I still stick to my chalk and cheese analogy.

Of course he is bitter the group that replaced him were an appaling bunch of fantasists who tried to bankrupt the club with a reckless gamble that didn't pay off.

Yes clubs have been bringing through player since football started but RL did build us a world class accademy with all the best facilties when other clubs were spending all heir money on foriegn mecenaries, had it not been for his sensible investment in a stadium and the training ground/academy we could be in the same boat as a club like Sheffield Wednesday

Surely it is a massively hypocritical to be defending Lowe by calling Crouch and Co fantasists; their gamble as you put it, others would call it a strategic push, very nearly paid off. It was closer than Lowe's attempt the season before when he had a demoralised squad playing on half wages, another fine idea of his that didn't work. We did pump money into the academy, as we had to under FA rules, but it wasn't like we were swimming against the tide, clubs have always been trying to develop players so they can avoid transfer fees and cash in when a good one comes along, it has always made sense and even more so in the 90's when players fees were increasing.

I don't see why Lowe should be lauded becase one or two clubs when mental with transfer fees and wages and we remained prudent, prudance got us relegated twice. We were heading no where fast with or with out the money Crouch spent trying to get us promoted back to the big money, with the stadium debt we were going to run at a loss outside of the prem even with Lowes prudent return (to protect his money, not for the good of SFC) and the truth is the reason we and Sheffield Wednesday are where we are is because we went bust and they didn't.

Not sure about Clifford's experiment with Garforth, but the Brizilian Soccer Schools are a good concept for coaching.

Given how long they have been running, we should be seeing the fruits of their endeavour starting to come through, certainly at the Academy level. Any evidence of this yet? I know kids who went to Brazilian Soccer Schools who are in their late teens now.

Given how long they have been running, we should be seeing the fruits of their endeavour starting to come through, certainly at the Academy level. Any evidence of this yet? I know kids who went to Brazilian Soccer Schools who are in their late teens now.

Think we've already seen it, haven't we? Micah Richards and John Bostock have already made it in the pro game.

Lowe back in business

Former Southampton chairman Rupert Lowe has been tempted back into football by the potential of the Brazilian soccer schools set up by Simon Clifford, who briefly worked as a Saints coach.

Lowe, whose Saints academy alumni include Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, has taken a controlling investment in Clifford’s struggling business that includes Northern Premier League club Garforth Town.

Lowe, who was set to take charge at Nottingham Forest and bring in Glenn Hoddle as manager before the death of owner Nigel Doughty last year, has always had great faith in the coaching vision of Clifford, once dismissed as a ‘ball juggler’ by Harry Redknapp

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2250824/Manchester-United-Arsenal-Manchester-City-Chelsea-fight-Premier-League-debt-limit--Charles-Sale.html#ixzz2FaPbBIwX

Was the Notts Forest thing common knowledge??

Lowe back in business

Former Southampton chairman Rupert Lowe has been tempted back into football by the potential of the Brazilian soccer schools set up by Simon Clifford, who briefly worked as a Saints coach.

Lowe, whose Saints academy alumni include Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, has taken a controlling investment in Clifford’s struggling business that includes Northern Premier League club Garforth Town.

Lowe, who was set to take charge at Nottingham Forest and bring in Glenn Hoddle as manager before the death of owner Nigel Doughty last year, has always had great faith in the coaching vision of Clifford, once dismissed as a ‘ball juggler’ by Harry Redknapp

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2250824/Manchester-United-Arsenal-Manchester-City-Chelsea-fight-Premier-League-debt-limit--Charles-Sale.html#ixzz2FaPbBIwX

Was the Notts Forest thing common knowledge??

Half of Nottingham breathing a sigh of relief then.

Garforth Town in admin within one year? Any odds

• 10 months later...
Im at work and im bored. I only have my mobile and can't find any information, apart from Clifford left under a cloud.

According to wiki:

In May/June 2013 Clifford left the club, ending his 10-year involvement. Lowe entered into a partnership with American soccer academy RIASA, who were already involved with Eccleshill United.[3] RIASA agreed to release funds into the club in return for establishing a Garforth reserve team in which their students could play (the previous reserve side had dispanded a few years earlier). Another change of backroom staff saw the replacement of manager Vernol Blair with Graham Nicholas.

I wouldn't say it was enormously relevant, actually. He acted akin to a high-powered financial advisor.

I would still prefer to have a chairman who had ten year's sporting finance experience to one who ran an old people's home...its a bit of a no-brainer.

I would still prefer to have a chairman who had ten year's sporting finance experience to one who ran an old people's home...its a bit of a no-brainer.

Me too. Though as others have mentioned there are similarities. Both have big egos and big ambitions. One has the better business acumen and access to finances whilst the other tried to do it on the cheap. One has a slick media image whilst the other just comes across as a ****. Did make me smile the other day when I read that Cortese visits the training ground almost every day. That went by without a comment whereas the list went into meltdown when Rupert did it.

Let's just revel in the good position we are in now and not look back. There was one person in my view far worse than Lowe and it began with Bran.......

Lowe was a chancer who came into football at a time when it was impossible not to make a go of it. He thought 'football people' both management and supporters were stupid, and that there was a chance to exploit the sector and make money. He was found out by a discrete part of the fan base in his first week, and all of the sentient in his last. He is nothing like Cortese, he is like Francis Fulford without the brains, breeding, or business acumen. A comedian, and a second rate one at that!...

LOL at the view that Cortese is basically Lowe with money.

When it came to moving the club forward and building on previous success Cortese appointed Nigel Adkins and Mauricio Pochettino. Lowe appointed Stuart Gray, Paul Sturrock and Steve Wigley.

Cortese had 10 year's experience in sporting finance and quite frankly it shows. Both the Pardew/Adkins sackings were widely condemned on here and some people even said "Cortese out"(I still think Adkins himself was badly treated by the way) but when it comes to moving the club forward Cortese has been proven right on both occasions. I think a good percentage of the condemnation came from the legacy of some of Lowe's ridiculous managerial appointments and Cortese's appointments were hefty risks but it's clear he knew what he was doing, unlike Lowe.

Considering the financial situation at the time I didn't think Lowe did THAT bad a job. I think he did a good job running the club on a shoestring but let himself down with stupid decisions at the most vital times, and failing to endear himself to the fans.

Whilst I haven't met either of them the only thing Lowe and Cortese have in common apart from being chairman of Saints, is that I suspect they are very capable of being arrogant c***s, just like 99% of the people in this world who have loads of money.

• 5 years later...
So he's an even bigger prat than we ever thought? Although brave. Anyone standing behind their Brexit vote at this stage has seriously large balls.

You're the prat, arrogantly dismissing the reasonable opinions of over half the electorate because they don't happen to agree with you.

At least Lowe is consistent, having stood as a candidate for the Referendum Party all those years ago, and like many of us, having the sense to wish to leave the EU after Maastricht.

You're the prat, arrogantly dismissing the reasonable opinions of over half the electorate because they don't happen to agree with you.

At least Lowe is consistent, having stood as a candidate for the Referendum Party all those years ago, and like many of us, having the sense to wish to leave the EU after Maastricht.

Certainly more consistent than you've been on the Brexit thread, that's for sure, ain't it Les?

How's Brexit going anyway Les? We've missed your Key stage 2 Economics and Politics on there recently. You said you were going to come back and laugh at us at the end of March, so what's happened? Hope all's well.

Miss you buddy x

So he's an even bigger prat than we ever thought? Although brave. Anyone standing behind their Brexit vote at this stage has seriously large balls.

Agree, think a lot less of him now, how anyone still agrees with such an obvious wrong decision and the mess its caused is beyond me.

Especially aligning yourself with that complete joker Farage who is just doing this whole thing to earn more cash and because his miserable face had fallen out of the limelight.

Yeah right, like Farage and Rees-Mong he'll stand to make money out of the UK leaving.

Couldn’t agree more

Well, there is nothing elite about voting to leave the EU, is there now?

Nope nothing at all, i mean i can't think of single ex city boy, stock broker, super rich person with offshore tax havens, that are supporting leave. None whatsoever.

Because i mean if i could then it would be elitist right?

It wasn't 'over half the electorate'.

Typical Brexiteer, exaggerating everything;)