Best entry smartphone for 12 year old?

trousers

Looking to get my 12 year old son his first 'smartphone' for Christmas.

Budget c.£100 for pay-as-you-go.

Any recommendations?

Had a look at the Samsung Galaxy Y in Carphone Warehouse today. Looks like the sort of think I'm after - cost £60 - but have just read an online review that gives it 3 out of 5 stars. Maybe that's as good as it gets for the money?

Any alternative recommendations out there?

Cheers

Both my kids have contract phones.

Realistically, your nipper is probably going to end up putting a tenner a month on it anyway - and you'll have peace of mind because you know he can get hold of you no matter what. Your operator will normally offer you a decent wedge of discount on additional accounts. I think my kids' are about £15 a month each.

Might be worth a look.

Children shouldn't have such things.

I can see where you're coming from, and I've got to say - it's very depressing to see the black mirror zombies transfixed on a few inches of glass. In terms of family management and peace of mind, they're invaluable, especially in a big city like this.

You're teaching these children nothing other than to expect and demand and see results. Is that what we want? I don't want to see that. What a horrible world where children are treated like adults and where adults give children everything so they never learn to appreciate anything.

Let me tell you, you look at what is acceptable in children's films and tv shows today compared to our day.......it's so different. Swear words aren't considered swear words anymore. What is ok for adults is now ok for children. Children do not need phones. They want phones so they can feel grown up. They don't need phones to be grown up, they need sensible, thoughtful and intellectual conversation. Speak to these people as if they're adults and their minds will grow. Give them the gadgets that adults use and they learn nothing other than how to text quickly and browse the Internet. It makes me angry.

Lots of kids prefer Blackberries for the BBM messenger (free messaging service, cuts down on contract costs). Might be worth checking out if his mates have BBs.

As to the link, Huawei are a Chinese "white label" manufacturer - virtually all the 3G mobile broadband dongles are made by them, as are some of the BT internet routers. They're where HTC was 4 years ago. Good quality stuff, good bang for buck, but completely uncool. Concerns from govt agencies that they've got dodgy security to enable the Chinese to hack our comms.

In the cool stakes a Samsung Galaxy is probably next best to an iPhone and the software is very simple to use (the missus had a Galaxy Ace and could cope with it from never having used a smartphone before).

I have the G300. Cashed in on my iPhone 4 and bought the G300 so I could pocket the change. It is a very good bit of kit for the money and cost me about a fiver to unlock from memory.

I started a thread when I bought it. http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?39084-Budget-smartphone&p=1418417#post1418417

My thoughts on it haven't changed much... it feels like a £100 phone - My only critiscism is that the touch screen is plasticy and not glass (and it therefore feels easier to break) which is something you may want to bear in mind if it's for a kid.

At 12 yrs old, they're probably pretty sophisticated and know what's top of the range etc. In other words, don't go cheap and utilitarian on the naive assumption that its the gesture that matters.

Got bought a matsui tv as a chrimbo present when I was a nipper (though older than 12) - ashamed to admit that it still rankles.

Edited by shurlock

You're teaching these children nothing other than to expect and demand and see results. Is that what we want? I don't want to see that. What a horrible world where children are treated like adults and where adults give children everything so they never learn to appreciate anything.

I didn't have smartphones when I was a kid, but I had computers. That early exposure led to a career in them. These smartphones are little more than the C64s or Spectrums of their time, only now they're awesome.

I've had no compunction about introducing my kids to technology early on. The stuff teenagers can do effortlessly amazes me. They've grown up with this stuff, and it enables a lot of creativity.

On the subject of the effects that bestowing gifts upon your kids has, I don't know. They're not disconnected from the fact that ms pap and I have to earn the bloody money in the first place. They also know that they have their jobs to do; which is to bring home the academic bacon, do their chores and not to bring shame to the family in public (I have exclusive rights). My eldest had a cash incentive for each GCSE grade and cost me a lot of money.

What if instead of "demanding kid being placated by hapless time-poor parent" we went for "hardworking kid rewarded for efforts". That's how it goes down in my gaff, at least.

At 12 yrs old, they're probably pretty sophisticated and know what's top of the range etc. In other words, don't go cheap and utilitarian on the naive assumption that its the gesture that matters. Got bought a matsui tv as a chrimbo present when I was a nipper (though older than 12) - ashamed to admit that it still rankles.
Don't go cheap? You got a tv as a child and it wasn't the right brand? Youre a spoilt bastard and you'll bring your children up to be the same. It sickens me.

I didn't have smartphones when I was a kid, but I had computers. That early exposure led to a career in them. These smartphones are little more than the C64s or Spectrums of their time, only now they're awesome. I've had no compunction about introducing my kids to technology early on. The stuff teenagers can do effortlessly amazes me. They've grown up with this stuff, and it enables a lot of creativity. On the subject of the effects that bestowing gifts upon your kids has, I don't know. They're not disconnected from the fact that ms pap and I have to earn the bloody money in the first place. They also know that they have their jobs to do; which is to bring home the academic bacon, do their chores and not to bring shame to the family in public (I have exclusive rights). My eldest had a cash incentive for each GCSE grade and cost me a lot of money. What if instead of "demanding kid being placated by hapless time-poor parent" we went for "hardworking kid rewarded for efforts". That's how it goes down in my gaff, at least.
Paying children to pass exams? What is it with this world? What about passing exams for themselves, because their future may depend on it or simply because it is worthwhile to learn things. You're part of the problem pap. Each and every person that makes some excuse for this pandering to children is part of the problem.

If this wasn't someone else's dream I'd tend to agree with you there me ol' mucker

Let me tell you, you look at what is acceptable in children's films and tv shows today compared to our day.......it's so different. Swear words aren't considered swear words anymore. What is ok for adults is now ok for children. Children do not need phones. They want phones so they can feel grown up. They don't need phones to be grown up, they need sensible, thoughtful and intellectual conversation. Speak to these people as if they're adults and their minds will grow. Give them the gadgets that adults use and they learn nothing other than how to text quickly and browse the Internet. It makes me angry.

Dire Straits refusing to make a comeback makes me angry

Don't go cheap? You got a tv as a child and it wasn't the right brand? Youre a spoilt bastard and you'll bring your children up to be the same. It sickens me.

You can imagine the horror when I discovered it was a display model and the remote control was scracched. Years on and a 14 inch matsui tv probably remains the most expensive gift I've ever got.

If you're going to buy a present for SOMEONE ELSE, do it properly, especially with technology.

Alas, Argos were out of spinning tops and marbles when I looked earlier.

Look somewhere else then.

If this wasn't someone else's dream I'd tend to agree with you there me ol' mucker

I don't know what this means. Maybe it's something clever that only children who have had everything will understand?

You can imagine the horror when I discovered it was a display model and the remote control was scracched. Years on and a 14 inch matsui tv probably remains the most expensive gift I've ever got.

If you're going to buy a present for SOMEONE ELSE, do it properly, especially with technology.

Pthe most expensive gift you've ever received and all you do is moan about it and feel angry about it years later? What does that tell you? Surely it tells you something? Please!

Pthe most expensive gift you've ever received and all you do is moan about it and feel angry about it years later? What does that tell you? Surely it tells you something? Please!

I had my eye on a lovely little sony trinitron, scart/pal interface for the games console, the works...

This is the headphones offer for the Orange San Francisco 2 (or any other qualifying phone). Think the RRPs a bit optimistic though.

Pay as you go free WeSC headphones offer

Buy any pay as you go smartphone costing £49.99 or more from an EE store, our website or by calling us from 1 November to 20 December and get a free set of WeSC Bass headphones (RRP £90).

Please note that the green and white variant was only available through retail.

This one gets a good review but never heard of the make before... http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/huawei-ascend-g300-review-50007180/

Anyone got one of these?

Cheers

The wife's got one of these, trousers.

As has been mentioned it's not cool, but I can't recommend it highly enough for the price.

Also recently got an upgrade to ice cream sandwich. So the company is still supporting it too.

I can see where you're coming from, and I've got to say - it's very depressing to see the black mirror zombies transfixed on a few inches of glass. In terms of family management and peace of mind, they're invaluable, especially in a big city like this.

Well actually, in the big city just an ordinary and cheap mobile will supply the peace of mind of being in contact without worrying about losing an expensive bit of kit.

My footie team's changing room was broken into during the first half last Sunday and my first ever (5 month old) smart phone was taken. Mine wasn't too expensive, but one lass had a 600/700 euro iphone taken which she'd only had 2 weeks, plus various others too.

Nice to have but I won't be replacing it in a hurry: I don't actually _need_ a smartphone and that's my budget busted for a bit. If I see a good buy I might splash out after Christmas. In terms of provider I find Giff Gaff reasonable value when I'm in the UK.

If you want kids to get into computing you'd be far better getting them a Raspberry Pi: smartphones aren't TVs but they are a much more passive form of entertainment.

I'm of the age when I'm still surprised at what kids get given, but my first record player and (second-hand) push bike both came very late by today's standards.

Good basic phone that. Been out about 18 months though so getting a bit long in the tooth. But perfectly adequate for most uses

Dire Straits refusing to make a comeback makes me angry

Chill due.

They are now known as 'The Straits'.

I saw then in concert here in Minsk only last month.

They were superb, and my missus is now a huge fan.

Which reminds me, Mrs Minsk has an HTC Wildfire. It must be very easy to use if she can manage it!

Paying children to pass exams? What is it with this world? What about passing exams for themselves, because their future may depend on it or simply because it is worthwhile to learn things. You're part of the problem pap. Each and every person that makes some excuse for this pandering to children is part of the problem.

I agree that learning is its own reward, but think back to your own general education. Did you enjoy every subject? Was every subject well taught? Every teacher engaging? Sure, the money was a wee bonus but the main objective was for her to get the grades she needed for A level. I'll probably give her cash for A level grades too, but again, the main objective will be getting grades for Uni.

These events are once in a lifetime achievements. The money is soon spent but those certificates endure. If there is any particular maxim I bore my kids to sh!t with, it's that once you get a qualification, it's always behind you and no-one can take it away. Priceless, in other words.

Well actually, in the big city just an ordinary and cheap mobile will supply the peace of mind of being in contact without worrying about losing an expensive bit of kit.

My footie team's changing room was broken into during the first half last Sunday and my first ever (5 month old) smart phone was taken. Mine wasn't too expensive, but one lass had a 600/700 euro iphone taken which she'd only had 2 weeks, plus various others too.

Nice to have but I won't be replacing it in a hurry: I don't actually _need_ a smartphone and that's my budget busted for a bit. If I see a good buy I might splash out after Christmas. In terms of provider I find Giff Gaff reasonable value when I'm in the UK.

If you want kids to get into computing you'd be far better getting them a Raspberry Pi: smartphones aren't TVs but they are a much more passive form of entertainment.

I'm of the age when I'm still surprised at what kids get given, but my first record player and (second-hand) push bike both came very late by today's standards.

The phones we get the kids are normally free on the contracts they're on. One of them lost her phone once. We replaced it with one of the older handsets in the house until her upgrade. Sorry to hear about your phone loss. It's gutting when it happens; wouldn't wish it on anybody.

I'd love for you to be right about the Raspberry Pi; but I worry that kids have gotten used to a level of abstraction that is just going to make it unattractive. There was a meme doing the rounds on Twitter awhile ago about a toddler trying to treat a still image in a magazine as if it were an iPad. I shall test your theory on my kids at Chrimbo; it's very low tech, but even so, I remember having tremendous fun writing crappy programs in BASIC years ago.

Edited by pap

I got my eldest a Samsung Galaxy Ace when he went up to senior school in the big town 15 miles away, so he would always be in contact.

Just about the worst mistake I've ever made with him. In 15 months I've had to confiscate it 3 times, the last time for over 2 months. Getting him to put it down to come up for air, food, homework, sleep, etc is like asking a seasoned heroin addict to go cold turkey.

When I went to watch The Hobbit yesterday morning, the cinema inserted an interlude because of the length. I smartly stood up when it started, and watched over a hundred little glass screens light up with fingers zipping across them across the auditorium. I reckon 95% of the people in attendance went immediately to their phones. I sat with an old colleague at my company Xmas dinner on Thursday evening, and every time he wasnt being directly addressed, he got his phone out.

Its really quite sad.....