The Gig Thread.

KelvinsRightGlove

Caught alt-J in Brighton last night and they were excellent. The new CD will see them become a major band this year.

I saw them a couple of years ago in a rammed festival tent before they won the Mercury. Had heard the hype but walked out after 2 songs because I thought they were terrible. Their new album has been panned by Pitchfork which means they'll probably now disappear into the obscurity they deserve.

I saw them a couple of years ago in a rammed festival tent before they won the Mercury. Had heard the hype but walked out after 2 songs because I thought they were terrible. Their new album has been panned by Pitchfork which means they'll probably now disappear into the obscurity they deserve.

They never did it for me to be honest. Few of my mates adore them though. Said they were really great at Ally Pally last week.

Saw Honeyblood at Sebright Arms last week, they were very enjoyable. They've got a good sound for just the two of them. had a brief chat with them after, v nice girls.

Got v last minute tickets to The Libs on Sat. Have to say they were really good.

Taking the gf to see Jessie Ware on thursday (to be fair I do quite like her too), then Karen O on Saturday. I can't afford all these gigs.

Also had to turn down a Kate Bush ticket (for free) last week. I'm still not over this.

Their new album has been panned by Pitchfork which means they'll probably now disappear into the obscurity they deserve.

Their debut was panned too, so I doubt it'll do too much harm in this country considering they are on Radio 1 every ten minutes.

Saw Syd Arthur last night - decent.

So, Jessie Ware at Hackney Church. She's just really good. Cracking voice, good performer and a really likeable character. Confirmed by a colleague that went to school with her and still keeps in contact with her and lives on the same street - a bit irrelevant but hey nice to know.

Karen-O at Bush Hall on Saturday. It was an odd one. Gigs are always a bit odd here, it's a really cool little venue. But it's dance hall past with carpet, chandeliers and coving on the walls give it an odd feel. As it was, it suited the show perfectly. The show was to go alongside the release of Karen's 'Crush Songs' album, which is quite different from the YYY's stuff. It's quiet, acoustic and pretty slow. I really enjoyed it, her voice is amazing and even without all her usual antics she was really captivating. I came out the gig feeling really relaxed and at peace. Which is a strange experience for me, but an enjoyable one none the less.

I like Bush Hall. Went to see The Aliens there 5 years or so ago, they finished the set by lobbing hundreds of glow sticks into the crowd which were then thrown about through the encore.

Childhood at the Joiners tonight. First time I've been down there in a long while. Heads up for anyone that likes Sleaford Mods, they've just been booked to play there in March.

• 2 weeks later...

The Wytches were ear splitting at the Joiners last night. Excellent gig slightly marred by someone jumping up to turn on an air con unit that probably hadn't been used in 5 years which promptly spluttered out water droplets everywhere. Give it a few days and people will be queuing up at A&E with the symptoms of Legionnaires disease.

It won't interest all you young hipsters on here but saw the great James Taylor at the sold out B.I.C. a couple of weeks ago. Seeing the equally brilliant Jackson Browne at the Royal Albert Hall in a few weeks. Also will be seeing Show of Hands and Oysterband at Salisbury City Hall and St Agnes Fountain at Fareham Ashcroft all before Christmas.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The Wytches were ear splitting at the Joiners last night. Excellent gig slightly marred by someone jumping up to turn on an air con unit that probably hadn't been used in 5 years which promptly spluttered out water droplets everywhere. Give it a few days and people will be queuing up at A&E with the symptoms of Legionnaires disease.

They are delightfully noisey.

It won't interest all you young hipsters on here but saw the great James Taylor at the sold out B.I.C. a couple of weeks ago. Seeing the equally brilliant Jackson Browne at the Royal Albert Hall in a few weeks. Also will be seeing Show of Hands and Oysterband at Salisbury City Hall and St Agnes Fountain at Fareham Ashcroft all before Christmas.

All are welcome here friend.

I love music. I particularly love traditional folk/acoustic music and 70's singer/songwriters (James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Judee Sill etc) but there is no music that I dislike....except rap/hip hop! I will be going to gigs/festivals as long as I have breath!

I love music. I particularly love traditional folk/acoustic music and 70's singer/songwriters (James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Judee Sill etc) but there is no music that I dislike....except rap/hip hop! I will be going to gigs/festivals as long as I have breath!

I agree with you on all of that!

The Guildhall has awful acoustics which is why hardly any bands play there twice. Hopefully the richness of sound that War On Drugs have live will negate it when they play in Feb.

I saw Jeff Tweedy at London Palladium last week. He was on top form as usual. Props to that venue for having the most expensive beer I have ever seen. £5 for a can of Stella. Wow.

The Guildhall has awful acoustics which is why hardly any bands play there twice. Hopefully the richness of sound that War On Drugs have live will negate it when they play in Feb.

I saw Jeff Tweedy at London Palladium last week. He was on top form as usual. Props to that venue for having the most expensive beer I have ever seen. £5 for a can of Stella. Wow.

Pretty frequent up here now that, unfortunately.

Got Cure tickets t'other day. Going to take the Mother as her (early) xmas pressie. I'm the best son.

Seeing Damon Albarn on Saturday. Should be interesting.

Standing?

Work permitting we hope to be up there a bit early so cold meet for a pint. I'll probably give the support band a swerve in favour of cheaper and better beer in the pub too.

Yeah standing, can't stand seated. Especially after being told to sit down when The Mac played The Chain last year. Speaking of which...

Just bagged myself 2 Fleetwood Mac tickets. Please with that.

Ace, very jealous. Saw them at the o2 last year and they were great. Just a shame about the effing boring and annoying gits telling me off for not sitting still when they played The Chain (or anything else).

There's a 13 year old in side me pretty jealous of you UJ.

Christ I was an angsty little git.

Edit, thinking bout it I was probably younger than that.

I got the tickets free. Was never a massive fan really, although enjoyed the Collision Course album with Jay Z.

Saying that, I'd still happily go see System of a Down, Iron Maiden and Rage if i got the chance...my teenage angst favourites.