The Gig Thread.

KelvinsRightGlove

I'd expect him to think they're ****. If you let him listen to them with all the bad language they use then I have to call your lax parenting into question. He's at junior school.

He saw them on some music channel where they cut out the swearing. Saying that it's nothing he doesn't hear up the skate ramps when the college kids are there.

His favourite bands are Pearl Jam, Arctic Monkeys and Nirvana. They swear sometimes but he's switched on enough to know not to repeat it. I'd far rather him listen to them than the sort of pop trash most kids his age like.

As for my parenting, well he's in top groups for everything at school, is a very talented goalkeeper and popular. I'm happy with how that's going thanks.

He saw them on some music channel where they cut out the swearing. Saying that it's nothing he doesn't hear up the skate ramps when the college kids are there.

His favourite bands are Pearl Jam, Arctic Monkeys and Nirvana. They swear sometimes but he's switched on enough to know not to repeat it. I'd far rather him listen to them than the sort of pop trash most kids his age like.

As for my parenting, well he's in top groups for everything at school, is a very talented goalkeeper and popular. I'm happy with how that's going thanks.

Jesus, your son sounds scarily similar to me. At one point or another I was obsessed with all three of those bands as a teen. I was a semi-decent keeper (some trials/played at county level a couple of times) and in the top sets.

Certainly was never popular though.

Oh my god, you didn't just do that did you? You actually decided to brag about your child.

Surprising you say he doesn't repeat it, yet he called Linkin Park '****'? Some inconsistencies here...

I'm interested to know how he interprets 'Polly' by Nirvana. Certainly a topic that a 9 year old should be abreast of. And as for letting him down the skate park when college kids are there!! Braver than most parents I know, because i remember kids shooting up at the Mayflower Park skate park when I was 16.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

Jesus, your son sounds scarily similar to me. At one point or another I was obsessed with all three of those bands as a teen. I was a semi-decent keeper (some trials/played at county level a couple of times) and in the top sets.

Certainly was never popular though.

How old are you? Surely the Arctic Monkeys werent around as a band when you were a teen?

Also, who has sets in Junior School? They don't split kids until Secondary School I thought...

They aren't official sets but the groups he's in are full of all the cleverest kids. I've helped at his school so I know what's going on in that respect.

You questioned my parenting. I gave examples of why listening to the music he does hasn't affected him. You might see it as boasting, I just saw it as facts.

He didn't say Linkin Park were ****, that was me paraphrasing him.

The only Nirvana song we don't let him listen to is Rape Me. I've heard Polly played on daytime 6music. I'm sure all the young kids who heard it are now horribly corrupted.

The skate ramps are right outside his school. Most days the kids come out and go on them. Sometimes there's college kids there. None of who are shooting up, maybe the odd spliff smoked. Presumably the other 50 or so parents who let their primary aged kids on at the same time are also braver than you.

They aren't official sets but the groups he's in are full of all the cleverest kids. I've helped at his school so I know what's going on in that respect.

You questioned my parenting. I gave examples of why listening to the music he does hasn't affected him. You might see it as boasting, I just saw it as facts.

He didn't say Linkin Park were ****, that was me paraphrasing him.

The only Nirvana song we don't let him listen to is Rape Me. I've heard Polly played on daytime 6music. I'm sure all the young kids who heard it are now horribly corrupted.

The skate ramps are right outside his school. Most days the kids come out and go on them. Sometimes there's college kids there. None of who are shooting up, maybe the odd spliff smoked. Presumably the other 50 or so parents who let their primary aged kids on at the same time are also braver than you.

Sorry mate. I just don't believe you. Too many inconsistencies, and too much 'trying too hard'.

I'm calling bull****.

Went to see Icelandic group Gus Gus at the Koko club in Camden on Friday night ... they played a set of just 40 mins :x

Anyone seen a shorter set than that?

Saw The Horrors at Astoria 2 when they were all gothy - around the release of their first album.

Played the whole album at about 3x tempo - think the set was about 20 mins.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to have missed you tonight TC. Got back in from Berlin late so basically sprinted to the gig.

Thought The Cure were top draw, managed to not let slip to mother (was a surprise Xmas gift) until we were outside and she saw the board outside. Needless to say I'm son of the year right now.

V happy Kelv. Hope you enjoyed your night my feline friend, maybe catch you next time you're up this way.

Get In!

Just blagged VIP freebies for a massive NYE party tonight. Yeah I love my Rock & Indie stuff, but tonight eff me, I didn't even know some of this lot were still alive!

(Although I expect they had to bring in a specially strengthened stage as a few of them have put on the kilos in the past 30 odd years!)

x1gcix.jpg

Now THIS is the way to bring in NYE, sod the traffic jams and fireworks.

(interestingly Janet Jackson was on a flight over here that one of our Dubai Saints Massive was working on a couple of days ago, THAT could be a moment. Just hope Randy plays some Journey classics as well ;) )

(On the downside, I may need medical attention in the morning after a 10 hour show & non-stop Bad Dad Dancing.)

Happy New Year Gang!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK gang, time for the annual "Who would you choose if you could have a freebie?" debate. The Annual Jazz Festival is here again, so I can use airmiles to get tickets for one night free unfortunately due to "change of sponsor, only minion standing area this year

We've got a mountain of "Big Name" acts coming over here at the moment, just about one a fortnight until April, just had Redfest with Kid Ink The Script, Wilkinson, Keisha, Bastille & Iggy Azalea (no I didn't go!)

So you have a free ticket to ONE of these evenings this week. who would YOU pick?

Christina Perri & James Blunt

Sting ("ALL" The Greatest Hits Tour)

John Legend

Now, I haven't seen Christina live, but I've seen all the other main acts (John Legend before THAT bloody song when he was simply brilliant now he's famous and annoying because people ONLY want to hear that song)

Also, James Blunt is kind of a hero of mine as the last time he was here he stopped one of his monologues and apologised on Valantines night no less for interrupting the women talking in Corporate (my other half & some people she'd just met) and waited for them to notice he was talking to them before he played a Metallica cover & Smoke on the Water "for all the poor sods who'd been dragged along to see him because their GF/Wives insisted" and told the women to pay attention to their Men who had had to suffer so much (watching him) because of their love for their GF/Wives.

So, who would you pick and why.

On the PROVISO that if you do NOT pick one of the acts you have to go on a meet and greet and VIP front row seats to see One Direction in April and you can't take the kids... ;)

(Note we do have proper (ish) bands heading our way - Dave Matthews Band, 30 Seconds to Mars heck even Paolo Nutini to fill out between the Robbie/Ed/1D sell outs)

Off to see The Decemberists on Friday at the Brighton Dome with a mate which promises to be the second most camp gig I've ever attended.

I'm then off to see them again at the Brixton Academy on the Saturday with the family.

It's close to an obsession.

And then Belle and Sebastian in Portsmouth at the beginning of May.

[video=youtube_share;Yb8oUbMrydk]

Lot of time for band stalking Bletch, I've done it myself.

You should come over here more often.

The Decemberists were in session on 6music this morning, it's here, if you missed it. Quite enjoyed it, only know a little bit of their old stuff.

I've got a lot of love for Belle & Sebastian too.

Thanks for the link KRG, I enjoyed that. I also stumbled across an excellent and totally wired feature on The Fall.

Yes, I've been a long-time fan of Belle & Sebastian, but I've never seen them live. Really looking forward to that one.

Ah...ghosts you never lay...they haunt you all through your life...:? That's a beautiful song...is the album up to that standard? I have "The Crane Wife" and Aspects of Love" but for some reason didn't buy the follow ups.

Ah, but I'm not sure I'm able to pass unbiased judgement any more lifeintheslowlane. Like a Tory in The Lounge, I fear I can see no wrong in anything they do.

I have to say that the earlier stuff is more interesting to my ear - try Picaresque or Her Majesty. They have broadened their appeal more widely in the last several albums. That said, and for what it's worth, I personally think this album is the best in a while.

The In-Session that KRG linked to explained that they recorded the album over a year or so with no pressure - a couple of songs at a time. And it definitely seems to have that sort of eclectic/non-sequitur feel to it, whereas previous albums (Like the Crane Wife to a small extent, and Hazards of Love to a greater extent), were quite often single-themed concept albums.

Take a punt. Go on, you know you want to.

What's the worst that couple happen....I guess you could end up following them round the UK and Europe...

Lot of time for band stalking Bletch, I've done it myself.

You should come over here more often.

The Decemberists were in session on 6music this morning, it's here, if you missed it. Quite enjoyed it, only know a little bit of their old stuff.

I've got a lot of love for Belle & Sebastian too.

Thanks for the link, I do like the Decemberists. My favourite track of theirs features the SUBLIME Gillian Welch, who is my all time favourite hero. Which might explain why it's my favourite track...

http://youtu.be/3M761Gx2NoE

Ah, but I'm not sure I'm able to pass unbiased judgement any more lifeintheslowlane. Like a Tory in The Lounge, I fear I can see no wrong in anything they do.

I have to say that the earlier stuff is more interesting to my ear - try Picaresque or Her Majesty. They have broadened their appeal more widely in the last several albums. That said, and for what it's worth, I personally think this album is the best in a while.

The In-Session that KRG linked to explained that they recorded the album over a year or so with no pressure - a couple of songs at a time. And it definitely seems to have that sort of eclectic/non-sequitur feel to it, whereas previous albums (Like the Crane Wife to a small extent, and Hazards of Love to a greater extent), were quite often single-themed concept albums.

Take a punt. Go on, you know you want to.

What's the worst that couple happen....I guess you could end up following them round the UK and Europe...

:blush: Whoops yeah Hazards...what a blooper for an Inde fan: "Aspects of Love" haha. Yep I've just taken a risk on the new one.:)

Saw Interpol at the Roundhouse last Saturday, bloomin brilliant.

They're back in Vegas in April...that was fast! Saw them here only a few months ago, same venue - swimming pool looking down on the Strip. Very cool.

I see from setlist.com they're (understandably) incorporating more of El Pintor into the gig. Not totally won over by it, of course a few decent songs but not really anything as good as TOTBL or Antics. Last summer they played a lot more of their classic stuff (before the album was released) and it was amazing.

Wishing they'd do Obstacle 1 a bit more....

Thanks for the link KRG, I enjoyed that. I also stumbled across an excellent and totally wired feature on The Fall.

Yes, I've been a long-time fan of Belle & Sebastian, but I've never seen them live. Really looking forward to that one.

Thanks for the link, I do like the Decemberists. My favourite track of theirs features the SUBLIME Gillian Welch, who is my all time favourite hero. Which might explain why it's my favourite track...

You're both v welcome, glad you liked it. As I say I don't know them too well, but enjoyed this.

As for B&S Bletchley, I'm in the same boat. Let us know how they are. Would love to go out and catch them. I actually wore played my Boy With The Arab Strap cd until it stopped working.

They're back in Vegas in April...that was fast! Saw them here only a few months ago, same venue - swimming pool looking down on the Strip. Very cool.

I see from setlist.com they're (understandably) incorporating more of El Pintor into the gig. Not totally won over by it, of course a few decent songs but not really anything as good as TOTBL or Antics. Last summer they played a lot more of their classic stuff (before the album was released) and it was amazing.

Wishing they'd do Obstacle 1 a bit more....

Ah man they were great. They're really back on form. I like El Pintor, the songs do work really well live, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seen a couple this year, Zella Day was the highlight so far and worth checking out.

Eliza Doolittle was also surprisingly good, support act was George the Poet who was one of the most over hyped and arrogant people I've ever seen.

Got Kiesza and Van Morrison next week, Leon Bridges next month (seriously worth checking out if you're a fan of old Stax records) and just booked tickets for Bob Dylan in Rome in June which I am more than a little excited for!

Woo Hoo, travelling down from Nottingham lunchtime today for the match tomorrow and to see Hardcore Superstar at Talking Heads tonight. Can't beat a bit of Swedish sleaze\glam on a Friday night! Cannot wait, what a weekend! See you all at the Dungeon tomorrow night! :-)

Being the model boyfriend that I am, I took the gf to see Paloma Faith at the 02 last week. Shocked as I was to see her sell out the venue, I was more surprised just how into people were. Like, people were losing their s**t all over the place. It's an odd one, she's quite likable and certainly has a cracking voice but her music is just so uninspired and middle of the road. No real hook their at all. Also found her politics talks, and Owen Jones guest slot (seriously) a bit odd.

More my street, Mother took me to the TCT show to see Paul Weller with Johnny Marr supporting. Johnny was great fun, even if his set was more covers (I count The Smiths in this category) than his original tunes. Weller was a bit odd. Started with his new tune which sounded pretty good, then promptly stormed off stage. Something to do with some technical issues, then seemed to have the hump the rest of the night. Odd.

He's also ditched the Weller haircut, which left several thousand middle-aged men sporting Weller haircuts looking slightly confused.

People in liking uninspired middle of the road music shock. The thing is those people probably think her whole whacky persona makes her cutting edge.

I'm tempted by George Clinton, Parliament and Funkadelic in Oxford in a couple of weeks. Was looking into seeing SFA but Brixton is a pain from here and and it's £35.

• 2 weeks later...
People in liking uninspired middle of the road music shock. The thing is those people probably think her whole whacky persona makes her cutting edge.

Haha maybe. I was a bit disappointed with the stage set up. It was literally just two plain white sets of stairs. I thought she'd have a bit more going on. As I said, I find her quite likeable, just dull.

Managed to hobble along to Courtney Barnett last night, crutch n all. She was really good. Would recommend catching her. Had Spring King supporting, who were pretty good too actually.

Interpol were very good again last night towering over The LV Strip. Was spoilt a bit last August when I saw them, just before El Pintor was released, where they performed more of their classic stuff. Was deprived of Obstacle 1, NYC, PDA, hands Away, length of love, in favour of some of their newer stuff this time, which is good, but not all great. (Was nice to hear Stella and Pioneer to the falls though.)

Massive Hispanic fan base again (about 90% of the attendance), nothing wrong with that, just strange.