The Gig Thread.

KelvinsRightGlove

Then to choose between Clapton & Black Sabbath. Still a chance Sabbath may do Glasto so :scared:, what to do?

Tough one. I saw Sabbath at the 02 and they were superb, even if Ozzys timing was a little 'off':rolleyes:. Given the choice I would say Sabbath, giver their various health issues it might be your last chance.

Note: This is a very unusual review by me as last night I only had a couple of beers, so this report was not enhanced by any outside agency!

So last night was the opening of Dubai Jazz Festival. It's an odd thing, heavily sponsored by Toyota, Emirate & Dunhill, it has a Jazz Garden - a medium sized stage with Pub style picnic/garden tables then a main gig venue. The Garden is full of Car displays, Arty Craft stuff, seemed to spend an age registering to get free gear, silly hats, blankets, lighters & Chocolates for some reason. Down side is 6.50 for a 33ml CAN of Heineken, 7.50 a pint!

So. Originally the 2 week bash was due to open with The Stone Temple Pilots with Chester Bennington, but for some reason they pulled out at the last moment leaving the organisers screwed, not enough time to sell tickets for anything else.

So IF you pre-registered OR took a ticket to any of the other 3 nights it was free admission. At that price we gave it a whirl!

The "last minute replacement band" was Al Mackay's All Stars (The Earth Wind & Fire Experience). There had been a lot of media coverage to tell everyone that this was NOT a Cover/Tribute band yadda yadda yadda. But we felt a bit of Jazz Funk might get the old bones wobbling!

Because the free tickets were only valid for entry up to 8:30 we arrived a full 100 minutes before the main gig, so took up refuge in the Jazz Garden and listened to Tony Lakatos with his Sax doing Trad Jazz then Al Foster.

I hate Jazz.....

Normally.

But even with only 1 beer I realised that the quality of the music coming from the stage was simply outstanding. The two acts were worth the 6 quid taxi fare alone!

Then through to the main stage wondering what all the fuss would be and why this lot were NOT a tribute band.

Al Mackay is a 5 time Grammy winner, he was the original EWF Guitarist, songwriter & producer. His Band had 14 members on stage led by 3 singers. The best way to describe Al would be "The Nile Rodgers" of Jazz Funk who didn't make as much money.

By the time the 3rd song was up and running the entire crowd had slipped into a groove / wobble vibe. I don't think anyone there had ever bought an EWF album so for most of us we were hearing this stuff for the first time. The quality of the Jazz/Funk sound the band produced was just outstanding. The "Brass Section" Sax, Trombone. 2 x Trumpets mixed with the incredible vocal range of the guys singing was "amazingly to us" brilliant.

About half way in they played the slushy "After the Love has Gone" which went into a 20 minute Jazz/Jam world that was possibly the best music I have ever heard - The Sax solo, the Vocals (insane) then a Sax and Vocal duet then Sax & Guitar then a sort of George Benson esque Vocal & Guitar duet.

The crowd basically kept being hit with a new moment and you could just hear WOW! coming from all around (plus a number of Holy ****)

They finished by asking that question....

Do you remember? and went non stop through all their big hits and the "who the hell is this band" crowd had simply melted into one huge Disco Dancing mess.

So. The gig was free. It was a night out instead of sitting in front of the telly. We spent about 40 quid on beers and taxis for two of us. I had NO idea what we would hear.

It was a sensationally good evening and the band were "Extraordinary". The depth of the sound was SOOOO much better than listening on CD. They didn't play a single note all night. They just stood on the stage, FELT the music and it flowed out.

http://almckayallstars.com/

Honestly? If I HEAR better live music than that this year then I will be amazed.

Edit: I just worked it out. This was an ensemble of extremely talented musicians playing somebody else's music. It wasn't a bunch of guys who have been playing the same songs for the past 35 years or more. I think that was why it had an extra Vitality or edge to the sound. Would they be worth driving all the way from South Coast to London to see in concert? Hell no. BUT I tell you what IF they pay at a festival in the summer, do NOT miss them.

Edited by dubai_phil

OK

Jamie Cullum. Fantastically talented musician got the whole crowd involved, just not my cup of tea.

Colbie Caillat? Now THAT is one hell of a woman. Great singer/songwriter, not going to get you leaping around but well worth seking out at a Summer festival for a mid afternoon chill & a couple of surprisingly well know songs.

Oh and what a great sport.

This one is just for Turkish

View My Video

Just back from the largest ever Concert crowd here in the UAE. 30,000 for the first night of The Rolling Stones 2014 World Tour.

We read the comments about their UK shows - "You had to go but they were past it" type stuff.

I was never a fan of theirs growing up, but was lucky enough to see them in 2007 in Hungary and thought I had ticked an item off my Bucket List. Never expected to get to see them again. Tell you what, they have matured over those 7 years into a proper band now ;)

They came on stage 10 minutes early. They played for 2 hours. A greatest hits Pilgrimage that was insanely full of Energy.

OK things got a bit meh when Keith Richards sang a couple of songs while Mick went off for a quick change and some probably Oxygen :rolleyes:, the first number fromKeith was like really bad karaoke, the second had the Stones vibe and was an improvement. Up until then the show had been really good this was a worrying moment, would they run out of steam...

Hell no

From that moment on, the last hour was truly sensational. Give me Shelter & You don't always get what you want were Spine Tingling. Satisfaction was not so much a song as a moment in life as they finished and everything exploded into a fireworks display.

Crowds here are always far more reserved than in UK, but for the last half hour or so, Dads were headbanging singing jumping clapping Woo Hooo oooh oooh oooh next to or in unison with their kids or even Grandads and the place simply thundered with noise as we sang along and the place went beserk.

They head now to Asia & then Aus & NZ. Whatever it takes, go see them. They may be the walking Dead but by Christ they can still put on a show

[h=1]Rolling Stones let go raw energy in Abu Dhabi[/h]

Mick Jagger delivered the raw intensity fans have loved since 1962 as Rolling Stones launched their big tour

• By Natalie Long, tabloid! Editor
  • Published: 23:37 February 21, 2014

50283834.jpg

[*=right]Image Credit: Arshad Ali/Gulf News
  • Clad in tight black jeans, a black satin shirt and sparkling red jacket, frontman Mick Jagger delivered the wiry energy fans have loved since the band started in 1962. Jagger, with bandmates Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts, launched their '14 On Fire tour' in the UAE.

Image 1 of 212

Abu Dhabi: The UAE has been waiting a long time for the Rolling Stones to perform so it was only right the British rockers took the stage a few minutes early for their Abu Dhabi debut on Friday night, kicking things off with the aptly titled hit Start Me Up.

Clad in tight black jeans, a black satin shirt and sparkling red jacket, frontman Mick Jagger delivered the wiry energy fans have loved since the band started in 1962. Jagger, with bandmates Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts, launched their '14 On Fire tour' in the UAE.

Storming through all the songs a fan would have wanted to hear, the foursome - plus a full band and even a choir that came on for the second encore - gave fans young and old everything expected from a Stones gig: swagger, laughs and plenty of rock 'n' roll.

"Mara-haba" hollered Jagger by way of greeting, before sharing what the band have been up too since arriving in Abu Dhabi on Monday: Emirates Palace, the falcon hospital and a trip to Ferrari World. And if you thought performing for two hours, aged 70, was the most impressive thing Jagger can do, get this: The singer proceeded to ask if there was anyone from Sharjah in the house. Then Ajman, Ras Al Khaimah and all the Emirates, getting the biggest cheer for Dubai. His pronunciation was flawed but his connection to the crowd faultless.

Richards too, had his moment to shine, with the legendary hellraiser singing two songs after telling the crowd "I'm happy to be here". Then: "I'm happy to be anywhere."

Any worries the band - a collective 208 years old - would be a geriatric version of their dynamic younger selves were quickly dispersed: a freakishly youthful Jagger moved as he did 40 years ago, his swaggering walk intact as he repeatedly stalked the 40-metre runway that took him to the centre of the crowd. Yes their faces are pretty craggy, but that's the only thing to show, it's 2014 and not 1964.

[h=5]Related Links[/h]

Fans in the UAE were asked to vote for their favourite song for the band to play, which turned out to be Gimme Shelter, but easily the biggest crowd pleasers of the night were the final song Satisfaction, mid-set classic Paint It Black and Brown Sugar. As promised, former member Mick Taylor joined them, for two tracks, and as good as the music was the camaraderie - real or not - portrayed by the men on stage.

The Wrinkly Brothers in action

29114zs.jpg

n6c70x.jpg

2rpfmg6.jpg

Edited by dubai_phil

• 3 weeks later...

Neglected this of late.

Phoenix were really great fun. Sound fantastic live.

Saw Drenge at the Scala - another really fun gig. Havn't seen a crowd that raucous for a while/nor gotten involved like that since I was about 17.

Took the gf to see Chvrches, was quite fun. She has a really good voice, and is intangibly alluring.

Off to see Franz Ferdinand at the Roundhouse tomorrow, very excited for that one.

Gigs are coming thick and fast at the moment :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

C'mon chaps.

Let's get this one going again.

Sounds like I'm going to be getting soaked on Saturday. Finnsbury Park for the Arctics, Royal Blood, Miles & Tame Impala on the bill too.

Should be fun, shame about the crappy weather though.

Also got Cloud Nothings @ the Scala next week. Seriously excited for that one, were fantastic last time I saw them.

C'mon chaps.

Let's get this one going again.

Sounds like I'm going to be getting soaked on Saturday. Finnsbury Park for the Arctics, Royal Blood, Miles & Tame Impala on the bill too.

Should be fun, shame about the crappy weather though.

Also got Cloud Nothings @ the Scala next week. Seriously excited for that one, were fantastic last time I saw them.

One of our Dubai Saints crew is gonna be at that one, hope you don't drown!

OK just for KRG quick review from 9th May.

Sandance made a welcome return to Atlantis here in Dubai - they have a knack of putting really weird mixes together on a long Friday afternoon & into Saturday morning. They got very badly burnt on NYE by the local firework display which meant anyone trying to arrive after 7pm had a FIVE hour wait locked onto buses on the Palm Island - LOTS of very angry punters.

Anyway they came back with a half full venue and the mix kicked off with Arrested Development. (I hate RnB Rap & Hip Hop) but actually they were really good fun and were later to be found standing at the bar chatting & selfie'ing to anyone and everyone so go down as a great bunch.

Then came the band that I guess nobody else in Dubai had ever heard of - Scouting for Girls. Perhaps (unkindly) Mrs D_P instantly classified them as "The British Killers" :)

Let's be honest very few knew their songs, but what they did REALLY well was the inbetween banter and for each song later in the set they had a sing-a-long run through for all the choruses. As a result their 90 minute set was absolutely superb, great fun, hell almost a karaoke night without Bullfrogs! Considering she'd never heard of them before the Mrs now has all their stuff downloaded and playing most of the day. Their last song was hidden in an explosion of Red & White lighting which kinda helped our move even as it looked like the stripes we all hope we wear next year!

Then on to the main Act (well for us) - The Pet Shop Sisters....

Now, considering that Neil T looks like an overweight geezer from down the pub these days and that the crowd could only see the top of the silly hats being worn by Chris Lowe above his Keyboard set they actually put on an AMAZING show. They were supported by a superb Visual Effects projection and by two dancers. As such they actually completely owned the stage in a way you could not imagine an old fart and a fixed keyboard player could do.

Luckily, 95% of the crowd were European so we all "Got" the totally OTT Kitsch. Have the songs we honestly couldn't decide whether to simply PMSL at the stupidity of it all or just sing along. FFS even now some 3 weeks later I still find myself singing Go West FFS.

We are lucky enough to have global leading bands coming here almost every week now, choosing which to see is now getting really hard as the cost becomes painful. While nothing will ever come close to the Stones earlier this year, I have to say this was a cracking night out. 3 great bands for 50 quid. IF we did not have to make a 6am start the next morning we would have stayed on and seen Goldfish, local Dance heros Hollaphonc and Fat Boy Slim.

The other great thing about Sandance? No Golden Circle so us general punters can get right up close without having to pay 300 quid a pop

Absolutely bonkers the pair of them and a really great night out! Well worth catching on their World Tour even if only to kick in some bad Dad Dancing #Ihavenostreetcredleftwhocares

Like I said - REALLY weird :)

14niotd.jpg

2wbx8c7.jpg

33xg9hf.jpg

One of our Dubai Saints crew is gonna be at that one, hope you don't drown!

OK just for KRG quick review from 9th May.

Sandance made a welcome return to Atlantis here in Dubai - they have a knack of putting really weird mixes together on a long Friday afternoon & into Saturday morning. They got very badly burnt on NYE by the local firework display which meant anyone trying to arrive after 7pm had a FIVE hour wait locked onto buses on the Palm Island - LOTS of very angry punters.

Anyway they came back with a half full venue and the mix kicked off with Arrested Development. (I hate RnB Rap & Hip Hop) but actually they were really good fun and were later to be found standing at the bar chatting & selfie'ing to anyone and everyone so go down as a great bunch.

Then came the band that I guess nobody else in Dubai had ever heard of - Scouting for Girls. Perhaps (unkindly) Mrs D_P instantly classified them as "The British Killers" :)

Let's be honest very few knew their songs, but what they did REALLY well was the inbetween banter and for each song later in the set they had a sing-a-long run through for all the choruses. As a result their 90 minute set was absolutely superb, great fun, hell almost a karaoke night without Bullfrogs! Considering she'd never heard of them before the Mrs now has all their stuff downloaded and playing most of the day. Their last song was hidden in an explosion of Red & White lighting which kinda helped our move even as it looked like the stripes we all hope we wear next year!

Then on to the main Act (well for us) - The Pet Shop Sisters....

Now, considering that Neil T looks like an overweight geezer from down the pub these days and that the crowd could only see the top of the silly hats being worn by Chris Lowe above his Keyboard set they actually put on an AMAZING show. They were supported by a superb Visual Effects projection and by two dancers. As such they actually completely owned the stage in a way you could not imagine an old fart and a fixed keyboard player could do.

Luckily, 95% of the crowd were European so we all "Got" the totally OTT Kitsch. Have the songs we honestly couldn't decide whether to simply PMSL at the stupidity of it all or just sing along. FFS even now some 3 weeks later I still find myself singing Go West FFS.

We are lucky enough to have global leading bands coming here almost every week now, choosing which to see is now getting really hard as the cost becomes painful. While nothing will ever come close to the Stones earlier this year, I have to say this was a cracking night out. 3 great bands for 50 quid. IF we did not have to make a 6am start the next morning we would have stayed on and seen Goldfish, local Dance heros Hollaphonc and Fat Boy Slim.

The other great thing about Sandance? No Golden Circle so us general punters can get right up close without having to pay 300 quid a pop

Absolutely bonkers the pair of them and a really great night out! Well worth catching on their World Tour even if only to kick in some bad Dad Dancing #Ihavenostreetcredleftwhocares

Like I said - REALLY weird :)

14niotd.jpg

2wbx8c7.jpg

33xg9hf.jpg

Sorry Phil, Scouting for Girls are one if the worst bands I've ever had the misfortune of listening to. Comparing them to the rather drab Killers is offensive to Brandon Flowers and co.

Sorry Phil, Scouting for Girls are one if the worst bands I've ever had the misfortune of listening to. Comparing them to the rather drab Killers is offensive to Brandon Flowers and co.

I could see her point - Keyboard playing frontman. But I do agree musically they don't come close.

I've seen Pet Shop Boys in the past, they are incredible live.

Anyways, so Arctics last week.

The weather, just about held, despite spanking it down all the night before and that morning. We did the British thing, dug out our wellies (that actually meant a trip down to Brantano for me) and stuck on our waterproofs.

Royal Blood kicked off proceedings, and were bloody brilliant. I've banged on about them before, but seriously, go and see them.

Miles Kane was up next, and was his usual fun self, I think, things start getting blurry around here.

Tame Impala were really great. I think. I remember I really enjoyed them, and that I was annoyed that nobody else in the crowd seemed to be paying any attention.

And the arctics, well....I remember them coming onstage, and that they played Do I Wanna Know, and Miles Kane came on for the en core (featuring a Last Shadow Puppets track). Other than that, a complete blank. Nice one Kelv, oh well. All in all a fun day out.

Sunday was hard.

I've seen Pet Shop Boys in the past, they are incredible live.

Anyways, so Arctics last week.

The weather, just about held, despite spanking it down all the night before and that morning. We did the British thing, dug out our wellies (that actually meant a trip down to Brantano for me) and stuck on our waterproofs.

Royal Blood kicked off proceedings, and were bloody brilliant. I've banged on about them before, but seriously, go and see them.

Miles Kane was up next, and was his usual fun self, I think, things start getting blurry around here.

Tame Impala were really great. I think. I remember I really enjoyed them, and that I was annoyed that nobody else in the crowd seemed to be paying any attention.

And the arctics, well....I remember them coming onstage, and that they played Do I Wanna Know, and Miles Kane came on for the en core (featuring a Last Shadow Puppets track). Other than that, a complete blank. Nice one Kelv, oh well. All in all a fun day out.

Sunday was hard.

Dude.

You SO have to do a Sandance with us one day...

That description fits almost everyone we've been to. We know we get a Double Decker Bus to somewhere in town as we see the photos/vids of EoA teaching everyone OWTS. We know the buses go somewhere in town and always wake up to find the front door wide open, a trail of clothing on the floor and a sore neck from having slept on the top stair.

Yeah the band were great they played??? Who were they?? Where's the bloody camera?

If you want to fly me out, and put me up I'll come along mate. We'll discuss it at glasto ;)

Taking the mothership to see Arcade Fire on Friday, bit annoyed that Lorde is supporting Saturday but not Friday (yes, I like Lorde, blah blah blah).

Sure my 6.30 train to Leeds on Saturday am for a wedding is going to be great fun.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was also at Libs, they were indeed fantastic. It's such a shame Hyde Park is such a p*ss poorly run venue. I was also at Arcade Fire the Thursday before and again, the venue almost (almost, not quite) ruins it.

Anyway, friend at work has given me a spare ticket for Afghan Whigs tonight. No next to nothing about them, but he loves them. So will be interesting to be on that side. It's usually me dragging people along to bands I'm far too excited by.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm off to see First Aid Kit next month, don't really know anything about them - anyone seen them before / are they any good live!?

Haven't seen them, but I liked their most recent album.

Friend (who is a fan) saw them at Somerset House last month as said she really enjoyed it.

Sorry, that's probably not a great help.

• 3 weeks later...

Interpol. ****ing great show at the Cosmopolitan Casiino Pool overlooking the Vegas strip. Played classics from Bright Lights and Antics and some new stuff from forthcoming album. Lovely stuff!

Dj shadow at a bowling alley next month.. :)

Interpol. ****ing great show at the Cosmopolitan Casiino Pool overlooking the Vegas strip. Played classics from Bright Lights and Antics and some new stuff from forthcoming album. Lovely stuff!

Dj shadow at a bowling alley next month.. :)

Very jealous. Counting down the days til Feb when they play the Roundhouse. Excited for the new album, the initial tracks sound pretty good!

Kelv, you must spend a bloody fortune on gig tickets! Wel jel.

Yeah I do. Though recently moved in with the girlfriend, in a place much more expensive than my last place. Trying to reign it in a bit, not being very successful. Have just now booked tickets to Caribou next March...

Luckily, she's a doctor, so when I'm broke she can look after me.

Yeah I do. Though recently moved in with the girlfriend, in a place much more expensive than my last place. Trying to reign it in a bit, not being very successful. Have just now booked tickets to Caribou next March...

Luckily, she's a doctor, so when I'm broke she can look after me.

Caribou are so good live. Only caught a bit of them at Green Man last week but saw them a couple of years ago when they were just amazing.

As for Green Man, well War On Drugs were so good I'm not sure I need to go to another gig this year. May as well sell my Gruff Rhys, Kate Bush and Jeff Tweedy tickets now.

Caribou are so good live. Only caught a bit of them at Green Man last week but saw them a couple of years ago when they were just amazing.

As for Green Man, well War On Drugs were so good I'm not sure I need to go to another gig this year. May as well sell my Gruff Rhys, Kate Bush and Jeff Tweedy tickets now.

Good to hear. I've never managed to catch them before, so very much looking forward to it.

Ah I do love me some War on Drugs. His latest album is a really good listen. There's some undeniable Boss/Tom Petty influences, but the tracks sound so good I just don't care. Would love to see them live too.

I may be able to help take Gruff/Bush tickets off ya hands ;)

Good to hear. I've never managed to catch them before, so very much looking forward to it.

Ah I do love me some War on Drugs. His latest album is a really good listen. There's some undeniable Boss/Tom Petty influences, but the tracks sound so good I just don't care. Would love to see them live too.

I may be able to help take Gruff/Bush tickets off ya hands ;)

What's the going rate for Bush tickets? £500 each?

Anyone get Royal Blood tickets for the Pyramids in November? They sold out this morning in 2 minutes! Seems like a lot of touts will be making a lot of money out of their tour.

Kate Bush was bloody amazing on Wednesday. I'm not a crazy massive fan or anything and went with a slightly sceptical mind but she really did put on one hell of an outstanding show.

Mate at work pulled some strings and nabbed Beck tickets for iTunes festival @ The Roundhouse on Tuesday. Effing excited for that one.

Another mate (I'm so frickin popular 8) ) got David Gray tickets too. Free gig is a free gig n all that.

So, Beck was really good fun. Plus the free drinks for being a Corpotwãt guest of Apple made it even better.

Snagged Elbow tickets too for tomorrow. So a superfun weekend of free gigs this w/e.

I once met David Gray at a club in Japan. I trolled him by asking about his champions league medal. He was confused but fell for the jedi mind trick and bought me a drink. We had a conversation about the old Man Utd back 4 and his role in it. He definitely thought I was mental but I spoke Japanese and some English and there were woman to be pulled who only spoke Japanese so he happily funded me and accepted the trolling. SAAAAAAIIIILLLL AWAY FROM ME HOOOONEEY

I once met David Gray at a club in Japan. I trolled him by asking about his champions league medal. He was confused but fell for the jedi mind trick and bought me a drink. We had a conversation about the old Man Utd back 4 and his role in it. He definitely thought I was mental but I spoke Japanese and some English and there were woman to be pulled who only spoke Japanese so he happily funded me and accepted the trolling. SAAAAAAIIIILLLL AWAY FROM ME HOOOONEEY

Did he have a wobbly head?

David Gray = aggiest crowd ever. I got started on by four different people at different stages of the show.

Apparently talking/fun are not allowed at David Gray gigs.

Heads up if anyone is going.

Edit: to a future gig I mean obv.

Maybe this is the reason behind the wobbly head. He's just loosening up those neck muscles in case he needs to slip a punch or plant a butt on some lairy yoot.

Anyone get Royal Blood tickets for the Pyramids in November? They sold out this morning in 2 minutes! Seems like a lot of touts will be making a lot of money out of their tour.

Kate Bush was bloody amazing on Wednesday. I'm not a crazy massive fan or anything and went with a slightly sceptical mind but she really did put on one hell of an outstanding show.

i agree totally about Kate Bush, i was lucky enough to see the show on the 27th august. i've been a fan all my life and she was just amazing. i'm 45 now so it was a long wait to see her and it was everything and more that i had hoped for.