The Gig Thread.

KelvinsRightGlove

• 3 weeks later...

Booked to see the Courtenners in March (Bristol).

Tempted to book Inspiral Carpets in London but not sure.

Really fancy seeing the Specials in Pompey, but can't be ****ed to pay 40+ really.

Last Gig was Madness at the 02 last month which was class.

Looking forward to The Stone Roses here in Dubai in Feb.

In typical London Bus fashion Deep Purple are playing here the same night FFS.

Stone Roses wins hands down now, luckily seen Purple a few years ago out here, but bloody typical not much going on of interest to me out here then bang 2 worthy gigs on the same night. Grrrr

Booked to see the Courtenners in March (Bristol).

Tempted to book Inspiral Carpets in London but not sure.

Really fancy seeing the Specials in Pompey, but can't be ****ed to pay 40+ really.

Last Gig was Madness at the 02 last month which was class.

Waheey! Bit of action on this thread, nice one guys!

Yeah I was tempted to book Specials up here in London, but also baulked at the cost. Though did see them in Hyde Park last summer and they have definitely still got it. Well, I wasn't around to catch them before - but they certainly were really good.

When/Where's Inspiral Carpets? That sounds good, saw them in Manc a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

Looking forward to The Stone Roses here in Dubai in Feb.

In typical London Bus fashion Deep Purple are playing here the same night FFS.

Stone Roses wins hands down now, luckily seen Purple a few years ago out here, but bloody typical not much going on of interest to me out here then bang 2 worthy gigs on the same night. Grrrr

That's an absolute killer.

Not a huge Deep Purple man myself, but each to their own.

Saw Stone Roses last summer and they were bloody brilliant. Off to see them in June here in London, far too excited for a gig that's still so far away!

I have not been going to many gigs for the past year due to moving house and work commitments but got a few things booked up for 2013 though.

First up is the NME Tour in February featuring Django Django, Miles Kane, Palma Violet and Peace. Whilst the NME is a bit **** in recent times you can always rely on the NME tour to introduce you to a couple of decent new bands.

Then in the summer I have one of the best small festivals in London which is Field Day http://www.fielddayfestivals.com/line-up/

This festival never attracts too much attention but the line up is always decent and this year includes Animal Collective, Bat for Lashes, Django Django, Everything Everything, ****ed Up, Tim Burgess and many more.

Lastly I have the Stone Roses booked up for both the Friday and Saturday night and Finsbury Park in the summer. I am waiting to see the confirmed line ups for both days before deciding which day I will go to and which day I will sell my tickets for.

Hopefully I will get to a few smaller shows this year as well.

So far this year I've got tickets for The Bronx, Kvelertak and Cancer Bats in Southampton and will be looking to get tickets for Bring Me the Horizon in London when they go on sale this Friday. A few others that I'll decide upon nearer the time. Southampton's getting so much better for rock, hardcore punk and metal.

I have not been going to many gigs for the past year due to moving house and work commitments but got a few things booked up for 2013 though.

First up is the NME Tour in February featuring Django Django, Miles Kane, Palma Violet and Peace. Whilst the NME is a bit **** in recent times you can always rely on the NME tour to introduce you to a couple of decent new bands.

Then in the summer I have one of the best small festivals in London which is Field Day http://www.fielddayfestivals.com/line-up/

This festival never attracts too much attention but the line up is always decent and this year includes Animal Collective, Bat for Lashes, Django Django, Everything Everything, ****ed Up, Tim Burgess and many more.

Lastly I have the Stone Roses booked up for both the Friday and Saturday night and Finsbury Park in the summer. I am waiting to see the confirmed line ups for both days before deciding which day I will go to and which day I will sell my tickets for.

Hopefully I will get to a few smaller shows this year as well.

I'm off to that tour too! Not too fussed bout Django Django, but the other three are brilliant! Saw Palma Violets last week in a pub in Tufnell Park and they were fantastic!

Also off to Stone Roses on the Saturday. Can't bloody wait for that!

• 2 weeks later...
Waheey! Bit of action on this thread, nice one guys!

Yeah I was tempted to book Specials up here in London, but also baulked at the cost. Though did see them in Hyde Park last summer and they have definitely still got it. Well, I wasn't around to catch them before - but they certainly were really good.

When/Where's Inspiral Carpets? That sounds good, saw them in Manc a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

They're playing in London.

Cast/The Twang just announced a joint tour which could be decent.

Well as this is back at the top in lurking range....

Need your expert help again gang. You've done me proud the last two years.

Coming up we have Dubai Jazz Festival. This year it is 4 main acts supported by a Jazz Garden over 8 days.

So obviously, I have to pick the one Headline band I should take FMDP to watch.

There is ONE issue though....

The Choices are

Deep Purple

One Republic

3 Doors Down

The Script

(all different nights)

Now, 1) I saw Deep Purple here about 8 years ago (awesome) 2) They have NO CHANCE - because on the same night on the other side of town are? The Stone Roses..... So already got the tickets for that :smug:

Who would you go and see from the left over list. I get one pair of freebies each year from my mate who builds the stadium (inc free beer)

Previous Forum Suggestions were

Jools Holland - You guys are legends for sending me to that

James Blunt - Strange choice BUT he took the p1ss out of himself all night and played some Rock for the lads

HELP!

Oh, there is a possibility that I may know of one spare ticket for The Roses gig if anyone is in town on 21st Feb

Well as this is back at the top in lurking range....

Need your expert help again gang. You've done me proud the last two years.

Coming up we have Dubai Jazz Festival. This year it is 4 main acts supported by a Jazz Garden over 8 days.

So obviously, I have to pick the one Headline band I should take FMDP to watch.

There is ONE issue though....

The Choices are

Deep Purple

One Republic

3 Doors Down

The Script

(all different nights)

Now, 1) I saw Deep Purple here about 8 years ago (awesome) 2) They have NO CHANCE - because on the same night on the other side of town are? The Stone Roses..... So already got the tickets for that :smug:

Who would you go and see from the left over list. I get one pair of freebies each year from my mate who builds the stadium (inc free beer)

Previous Forum Suggestions were

Jools Holland - You guys are legends for sending me to that

James Blunt - Strange choice BUT he took the p1ss out of himself all night and played some Rock for the lads

HELP!

Oh, there is a possibility that I may know of one spare ticket for The Roses gig if anyone is in town on 21st Feb

You've done v well with the stones. Saw 'em last year and they were class!!

Avoid The Script like the plague!

Slash featuring Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators.

Totally was not going to bother with this, saw Slash with Velvet Revolver 4 years ago & it was meh.

Only reason we bothered is that we were tipped off about a guest appearance,

So we went. What a cracking gig. 90 minutes of Slash's own stuff with guitar solos to make you shiver cry and scream at the same time. Everyone took their air guitars.

For an encore straight into Sweet Child of Mine Take me to the Jungle & other G&R classics. Kennedy is actually a damned fine HM singer.

So having been not bothered we loved the gig.

And then the special guest walked on stage =ok so I found out about it on Tuesday (when the man himself told us but asked to keep it a secret.) Watching the audience react was hilarious, the crowd going as beserk as when Steve Moran scored the winner at nottarf all those years ago is the best description.

And they finished with the man Alice Cooper singing Schools Out while Slash went OTT on the Guitar solos.

Absolutely stunning and possibly the best damned Rock gig in 19 years in Dubai.

How come all these stars play dubai and not southampton?

We have better golf courses. :rolleyes: ?

It started back in the day as part of Dubai's Tourist Marketing machine - they provided the venues & Emirates paid the flights, did holiday packages around them.

Then about 6 years ago it became part of the Abu Dhabi vs Dubai local politics. Abu Dhabi pumped a fortune into stealing all of Dubai's gigs.

Then in last 3 years it has simply become Live Nation vs AEG. Live Nation signed with Flash Entertainment in Abu Dhabi so AEG signed with Done Events in Dubai.

The local culture here is also very different from UK - a gig often gets announced with about 2 weeks notice, although some bigger acts do go on sale 4 months in advance. It means that with Slash for example we weren't going to bother, then Tuesday when I worked at the mini golf tournament he let us know what was planned and it became Hell yes.

TBH, FMDP & Youngest went because of this moment. BUT in fact it turned out that Slash's music, his band & then the Guns & Roses encore was just sensational.

Next up for us will be the Roses.

But also due down here this winter will be Sting, Bruno Mars (for Bearsy) Prince & Justin Bieber (nooooooo)

Done events trying to do one a month.

Sandance is put on by the Atlantis Hotel - they totaly sell all their rooms for those with tourists from all over.

Tennis Stadium, Sandance, Festival City are all 6/8,000 venues. Media City now takes 12,000 and Flash in Abu Dhabi can get 15,000 in.

EVERYTHING is sponsored by Corporates locally so the band costs are always covered and the promoters make their money from the beer sales 8 quid a pint and the tickets

My best mate (of 19 years down here), grew his Scaffolding company into an event infrastructure company and builds all the sets and temporary stadiums. He's done so well he bought a company in the UK - they now do Glasto & did the Beach Volleyball at the Olympics

Big money in it now, and luckily I can often blag freebies which is the only reason I normally go (although did pay for last night - 50 quid & the Roses - 100 quid Front Pit,)

Oh - that's another reason they all come - it's expensive!

Edited by dubai_phil

We have better golf courses. :rolleyes: ?

It started back in the day as part of Dubai's Tourist Marketing machine - they provided the venues & Emirates paid the flights, did holiday packages around them.

Then about 6 years ago it became part of the Abu Dhabi vs Dubai local politics. Abu Dhabi pumped a fortune into stealing all of Dubai's gigs.

Then in last 3 years it has simply become Live Nation vs AEG. Live Nation signed with Flash Entertainment in Abu Dhabi so AEG signed with Done Events in Dubai.

The local culture here is also very different from UK - a gig often gets announced with about 2 weeks notice, although some bigger acts do go on sale 4 months in advance. It means that with Slash for example we weren't going to bother, then Tuesday when I worked at the mini golf tournament he let us know what was planned and it became Hell yes.

TBH, FMDP & Youngest went because of this moment. BUT in fact it turned out that Slash's music, his band & then the Guns & Roses encore was just sensational.

Next up for us will be the Roses.

But also due down here this winter will be Sting, Bruno Mars (for Bearsy) Prince & Justin Bieber (nooooooo)

Done events trying to do one a month.

Sandance is put on by the Atlantis Hotel - they totaly sell all their rooms for those with tourists from all over.

Tennis Stadium, Sandance, Festival City are all 6/8,000 venues. Media City now takes 12,000 and Flash in Abu Dhabi can get 15,000 in.

EVERYTHING is sponsored by Corporates locally so the band costs are always covered and the promoters make their money from the beer sales 8 quid a pint and the tickets

My best mate (of 19 years down here), grew his Scaffolding company into an event infrastructure company and builds all the sets and temporary stadiums. He's done so well he bought a company in the UK - they now do Glasto & did the Beach Volleyball at the Olympics

Big money in it now, and luckily I can often blag freebies which is the only reason I normally go (although did pay for last night - 50 quid & the Roses - 100 quid Front Pit,)

Oh - that's another reason they all come - it's expensive!

Good answer.

So basically they're all corporate sellouts ;-)

Has your mate got any jobs going?

BoS supporting Muse is it? Should be a good night!

Not a fan of Muse's last couple of albums, but no doubt they will be amazing live, they always are. Matt Bellamy is just a machine.

I feel exactly the same about the last couple of albums, but they were indeed amazing live. They seriously know what they are doing, and even though I hate shows in poxy basketball arenas, it was a great performance with a pretty decent light show / stage toys etc...

They've come a long way since I saw them (pre-record deal) supporting Gene at the Norwich Waterfront in 1999!

I'm seeing them here in March. Dead Sara is the supporting band. Know little about them, only that the female lead singer has a jolly good voice.

2 albums, both great. Sound a bit like white stripes / black keys with a more dirty blues sound. I would've never imagined they were from sunny southampton if I hadn't read it! They were great playing to a half empty basketball arena, but I imagine they would be amazing in a small venue. Hope they come back soon. Look on YouTube for 'I know what I am', 'death by diamonds and pearls' or 'sweet sour' if you want a taster. The girl and guy both have great voices and either trade verses or sing harmonies...

Oh, and I'm in Vegas for a few days week after next, I'll pm you and see if you are around for a quick pint.

2 albums, both great. Sound a bit like white stripes / black keys with a more dirty blues sound. I would've never imagined they were from sunny southampton if I hadn't read it! They were great playing to a half empty basketball arena, but I imagine they would be amazing in a small venue. Hope they come back soon. Look on YouTube for 'I know what I am', 'death by diamonds and pearls' or 'sweet sour' if you want a taster. The girl and guy both have great voices and either trade verses or sing harmonies...

Oh, and I'm in Vegas for a few days week after next, I'll pm you and see if you are around for a quick pint.

Ah, but we don't have band of skulls, it's an American rock group called dead sara.

Yep, pm me if you have time for a drink

Edited by LVSaint

They're at the Hardrock I think in a week, quite cheap, might do.

FWIW, I would agree about Band of Skulls.

I dunno about your preferences, but I have seen them a couple of times, and always really enjoyed them. I get the Black Keys link, oddly enough I saw BoS support Black Keys at ally pally a while back. That was a great night!

I feel exactly the same about the last couple of albums, but they were indeed amazing live. They seriously know what they are doing, and even though I hate shows in poxy basketball arenas, it was a great performance with a pretty decent light show / stage toys etc...

They've come a long way since I saw them (pre-record deal) supporting Gene at the Norwich Waterfront in 1999!

Oh for sure. They really are fantastic musicians and great performers. Always put on a great show.

I actually wasn't a big fan until I saw them at Reading in '06, but I was so blown away I went straight out and got all their albums and got a bit obsessed.

I really think given a month alone with any instrument, Matt Bellamy would be one of the best in the world with said instrument.

That'll be a good'un, James were my first ever gig. My mum took me as a nipper.

Who've they got supporting? Isn't it someone really good? I think I saw something somewhere and thought it looked good.

Echo and the Bunnymen are one of them. One of my old favourites as well.

Good answer.

So basically they're all corporate sellouts ;-)

Has your mate got any jobs going?

Corporate Sell outs? They sell out the moment they think about going on tour and sign up to either of the Big Agencies.

Lol

Example Bieber is $1.5million+++ for a night, Venue holds 15,000 so $100 per ticket covers ONLY his fee (not even the rest of the Autotune mechanics).

Then you have the Venue build out. Security Fences, Car Park Layouts, Stage, Amenities, Sound & Light System Shipping Costs, Customs Clearances. Accomodation Flights etc. For the build out at the rugby stadium it totals around another US$1million, so now we are running at $166 per ticket

By the time they add in the advertising costs - the insurance costs, the staffing/security etc you get into the HOW MUCH for a ticket?

So they get a main name sponsor, then get a booze supplier to sponsor them (giving them a cost reduction so they can make money) they get Media sponsors who do a discount on advertising

Normally, with a gig like Stone Roses with normal tickets at about 70quid, the only profit the local promoter makes is from Food & Beverage sales 15k x 4 pints at 8 quid a pint for example.

Slash last Thursday will have made a loss (except it was a Government/Emirates event for the Shopping Festival) They had an 8,000 venue and only around 5,500 tickets sold

NOBODY buys merchandising down here for example so no value from that

Back in the Day I got my old company to actually Sponsor a gig down here - (Hugh Cornwall) cost us $3,000 we got around 500,000 footfall, logo on TV and name on radio for 3 weeks before the gig. Table of 10 VIP tickets for the gig and a private meet & greet where the man played a 30 minute unplugged set to 30 of us sitting around a pool. Good deal for all of us.

Actually some bands find it a useful jet lag killer when moving from Asia to Europe or wherever. Some have done mini ME tours including Lebanon, and then up into former CIS states (Evanescence were a good example - low cost airlines all across ME Turkey Georgia Khazakstan etc

Has my mate got jobs going? All the time. Just join the bloody big queue. :)

Even IF you got in you could end up in the Golf Division. All the stuff at Abu Dhabi Stands/Corporate etc

Got my pants absolutely pulled down (£95 to be in the gods) but **** it

I'm off to Fleetwood Mac in September!!! Absolutely buzzing!!!

More immediately, off to the NME tour up in Leeds tomorrow! Should be a good'un, really excited to see Peace for the first time whilst Palma Violets & Miles Kane haven't let me down yet!

I went to see Paloma Faith on tuesday night, she was very good actually and also quite funny, which surprised me.

I saw her at Bestival a couple of years back.

Found her quite enjoyable. Great performer, good voice, and as you said a funny girl.

The NME show last night was brilliant. Peace absolutely stole the show. Easily the best act of the night, which is no mean feat, as the other three bands on the bill were very good.

Even Django Django, who I've never really been a fan of, were very impressive live.

Off to see Example tonight at Nottingham Arena.

Meatloaf in April.

Muse at Emirates Stadium in May.

I find this so bizarre.

I saw him back in about '07(ish), supporting The Rifles at the Astoria (RIP). He was awful, booed, had loads of cans thrown at him, not helped by the comment "throw what you want, I don't care I'm still getting paid".

For all the arrogance he did three songs and scampered pretty sharpish.

Back then he was a different act to what he is now, trying to be a rapper (ironically with a song called you can't rap - HE REALLY CAN'T) and just awful samples (Toxic, Peaches etc).

I did see him (well, was there not really paying attention) at V, and he was much better. Still a bit baffled that he had a significantly larger crowd than both Noel Gallagher & The Stone Roses.

Not my cup of tea, but each to their own. And all are welcome on this thread.

Enjoy buddy.

I find this so bizarre.

I saw him back in about '07(ish), supporting The Rifles at the Astoria (RIP). He was awful, booed, had loads of cans thrown at him, not helped by the comment "throw what you want, I don't care I'm still getting paid".

For all the arrogance he did three songs and scampered pretty sharpish.

Back then he was a different act to what he is now, trying to be a rapper (ironically with a song called you can't rap - HE REALLY CAN'T) and just awful samples (Toxic, Peaches etc).

I did see him (well, was there not really paying attention) at V, and he was much better. Still a bit baffled that he had a significantly larger crowd than both Noel Gallagher & The Stone Roses.

Not my cup of tea, but each to their own. And all are welcome on this thread.

Enjoy buddy.

Have seen him once before supporting Faithless and he was good then.

Thought I would go check him out again.

Think if I didn't live 30 seconds next to the arena I wouldn't have bothered.

Have seen him once before supporting Faithless and he was good then.

Thought I would go check him out again.

Think if I didn't live 30 seconds next to the arena I wouldn't have bothered.

Don't feel the need to justify it my friend.

As I said, just because it's not my thing doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.

He has changed a fair bit since, he makes much better music now (still not mad keen on it, but it's infinitely more listenable now) than when I saw him back then.

Hope you had a good'un.

Don't feel the need to justify it my friend.

As I said, just because it's not my thing doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.

He has changed a fair bit since, he makes much better music now (still not mad keen on it, but it's infinitely more listenable now) than when I saw him back then.

Hope you had a good'un.

Was a very good gig. Totally knackered today.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2