Gerry Anderson RIP

John Boy Saint

Gerry Anderson certainly made a significant contribution to the entertainment and imagination of anyone growing upin the 1960's. Stingray and Thunderbirds are amongst my earliest memories from tv.

The fact that my son was desperate for a "must have" Tracey Island in about 2001 emphasises the longevity of Gerry ( & Sylvia) Anderson's creations.

RIP, & Thanks(from succesive generations).

His works were such a profound influence on the imagination of this (now middle aged) child that his passing seems almost akin to a family bereavement somehow. I suppose he'll be best remembered for the fantastic series of Supermarionation shows he and Sylvia developed for Lew Grade. However the later live action series, such as UFO & Space 1999, were just as an important part of my youth. RIP Gerry, you were FAB.

Those who saw the programme about Sister Wendy Beckett broadcast on Christmas Day will recall how powerfully she argued that the constant stream of high quality entertainment our lives are now immersed in is a harmful thing, because this deprives us of the peace and quietness the contemplative life requires.

In that sense Gerry Anderson was a truly dangerous man.

Let us not forget Fireball XL5 please gang.

Couple of episodes of that scared the bejeezus out of me long before I was old enough to be scared behind the sofa by Doctor Who & The Cybermen.

Another little part of our Childhood has passed away this week.

His shows seemed to add something shared to our lives that Call of Duty UEFA 279 etc don't quite get.

It's really strange you know - I was telling my 4 kids all about Thunderbirds, Stingray, Joe 90 and Captain Scarlett only yesterday. Ten minutes later I turn on the TV only to find out that the great man has sadly passed away. He was a genius. My first vinyl 45rpm single was the Thunderbirds theme tune with Parker/Lady Penelope on the B side. RIP.

Sad news, I loved watching Thunderbirds as a kid & I was very pround of my Thunderbird 2 Dinky (or maybe matchbox) toy.

FAB Mr Anderson.

The fact that my son was desperate for a "must have" Tracey Island in about 2001 emphasises the longevity of Gerry ( & Sylvia) Anderson's creations.

This was the same for me, at around about the same time, we decided to get Tracy Island for my son at christmas, but couldn't get hold of it anywhere, except for Toy's r us in Pompey, after a phone call I found they had 1 left & they kindly offered to put it aside for me for a couple of hours, not everyone from the dark side are scumbags .

Remember going thru the whole Anderson thing with my son, had to collect all the figures. Once met the man when his models were on tour, he had some strong views on why he was no longer on tv and had talked of several projects that never made the light of day

great man, great imagination and yes I still have my thunderbirds and stingray annuals

His works were such a profound influence on the imagination of this (now middle aged) child that his passing seems almost akin to a family bereavement somehow. I suppose he'll be best remembered for the fantastic series of Supermarionation shows he and Sylvia developed for Lew Grade. However the later live action series, such as UFO & Space 1999, were just as an important part of my youth. RIP Gerry, you were FAB.

Those who saw the programme about Sister Wendy Beckett broadcast on Christmas Day will recall how powerfully she argued that the constant stream of high quality entertainment our lives are now immersed in is a harmful thing, because this deprives us of the peace and quietness the contemplative life requires.

In that sense Gerry Anderson was a truly dangerous man.

Superb post.

RIP Gerry.

Sad news, I loved watching Thunderbirds as a kid & I was very pround of my Thunderbird 2 Dinky (or maybe matchbox) toy.

You want to take a look and see how much the Gerry Anderson Dinky stuff is trading for on e-bay nowadays. Its an eye-opener.

Example : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dinky-Toys-Space-1999-Eagle-Freighter-Gerry-Anderson-No-360-Excellent-Boxed-/130813402322?pt=UK_ToysGames_DiecastVehicles_DiecastVehicles_JN&hash=item1e75161cd2

You want to take a look and see how much the Gerry Anderson Dinky stuff is trading for on e-bay nowadays. Its an eye-opener.

Example : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dinky-Toys-Space-1999-Eagle-Freighter-Gerry-Anderson-No-360-Excellent-Boxed-/130813402322?pt=UK_ToysGames_DiecastVehicles_DiecastVehicles_JN&hash=item1e75161cd2

Ouch! My Captain Scarlet car and Thunderbird 2 got spoilt in the sandpit............... But hey they were bought and used as toys it's only hindsight and Greed that makes me wince now. I always wanted an SPV with the pop out the side backwards facing drivers seat.