ps4

Barry Sanchez

Pretty much Graphics, Controller, Games, UI, Social features that are better.

The PS3's a 6 year old machine, the PS4's a state-of-the-art 2013 custom-made games console.

GTA v looks, sounds and plays like a dream on my ps3. The only improvements I can think I'd like to see is for all video file types to play so I can use it more as a nas ( also having the hard drive as FAT is pain for eg when you hookup a portable hard drive and try to play stuff). Has this changed?

GTA v looks, sounds and plays like a dream on my ps3. The only improvements I can think I'd like to see is for all video file types to play so I can use it more as a nas ( also having the hard drive as FAT is pain for eg when you hookup a portable hard drive and try to play stuff). Has this changed?

GTA V is a good looking game don't get me wrong, but some of the PS4 games' graphics are just awe-inspiring, COD:Ghosts, AC4:BF don't look an awful lot better (just shinier) but KZ:SF looks absolutely phenomenal, they far exceed anything the PS3/360 was capable of.

As for video files…unfortunately the PS4 has regressed in this regard. You can't play any music files or video files on the system yet. There's no DLNA support, it can't play audio CD's, MP3s and any video files yet. You can stream/play music from Sony's Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited services however.

Edited by BlakeySFC

As for video files…unfortunately the PS4 has regressed in this regard. You can't play any music files or video files on the system yet. There's no DLNA support, it can't play audio CD's, MP3s and any video files yet. You can stream/play music from Sony's Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited services however.

This or you may be answer my biggest question. As well as a games machine I use my PS3 to play AVI and MP4 content from my media server onto my big tele. I'm not the most techie so not 100% sure of all the jargon but have worked it out to suit my needs. Does this mean this can't been done at present? Looking at getting a new console after Xmas and handing my existing PS3 down to the kids to keep them in their room and out of mine, I mainly use it as DVD/Blue-Ray player and as an interface between tele and media server as described before with occasional gaming, may just get myself another cheap PS3 if the PS4 won't play these files as required..

This or you may be answer my biggest question. As well as a games machine I use my PS3 to play AVI and MP4 content from my media server onto my big tele. I'm not the most techie so not 100% sure of all the jargon but have worked it out to suit my needs. Does this mean this can't been done at present? Looking at getting a new console after Xmas and handing my existing PS3 down to the kids to keep them in their room and out of mine, I mainly use it as DVD/Blue-Ray player and as an interface between tele and media server as described before with occasional gaming, may just get myself another cheap PS3 if the PS4 won't play these files as required..

That's right, you can't play content from your media server. You can play Blu-Ray films on it though.

I will say that the Xbox One does support DLNA (media server functionality) to a certain degree. At the moment you can only 'play-to' which means that the Xbox One will let you stream content to the console using DLNA, although at the moment there's no native support to initiate those streams, so the console acts as a receiver only. This means Xbox One won't go out and find content on your network, so it can't retrieve those files on your DLNA-compatible media server, for example, that all your other connected devices enjoy.

So if you're looking for a new next-gen console in the new year the XB1 might be a better bet for you at this time

Yay. PS4 is arriving tomorrow*. Quite a few units at Amazon if anyone interested.

http://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-ps4-playstation-4

Went for "Gamer" pack, which comes with an extra controller and a camera. £434 with next day postage. Same thing on eBay going for around £600.

* Due to ms pap's cruel matriarchal yuletide tyranny, I will be unable to play said PS4 until Christmas morn. Mwah.

Yay. PS4 is arriving tomorrow*. Quite a few units at Amazon if anyone interested.

http://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-ps4-playstation-4

Went for "Gamer" pack, which comes with an extra controller and a camera. £434 with next day postage. Same thing on eBay going for around £600.

* Due to ms pap's cruel matriarchal yuletide tyranny, I will be unable to play said PS4 until Christmas morn. Mwah.

you need to sort her out mush. she is only going to ruin xmas day by keeping it from you and forcing you to play it all day..

:D

you need to sort her out mush. she is only going to ruin xmas day by keeping it from you and forcing you to play it all day..

:D

I was made to wait for my 360 one Christmas too. Was actually pretty awesome. Felt like being a kid getting an Amiga 500 again.

Yours is a good point though. I shall take it under advisement, but will probably tough it out.

In the meantime, I can have a good ding dong with Nolan speaking from the perspective of being a PS4 owner, even though I'll probably get an XBox One if it ever gets any good games. C'mon, Nolan. Give it your worst!

Got a PS4 with BF4, Ghosts and Fifa 14

Some glimpses of greatness but thought the jump from the PS2 to the PS3 provided more wow moments, at least in the early days.

Developers are a bit like the sorcerer's apprentice, unable to control or channel their newly acquired powers while others are eking the last drops from the status quo and rushing conversions for next gen consoles.

In other words, it's going to take time before we really see what this new hardware can do.

Got a PS4 with BF4, Ghosts and Fifa 14

Some glimpses of greatness but thought the jump from the PS2 to the PS3 provided more wow moments, at least in the early days.

Developers are a bit like the sorcerer's apprentice, unable to control or channel their newly acquired powers while others are eking the last drops from the status quo and rushing conversions for next gen consoles.

In other words, it's going to take time before we really see what this new hardware can do.

Yeah, I was going to delay the purchase until after Chrimbo, but the missus has been hassling me to decide on a present. In truth, my PC already kicks the crap out of this when it comes to graphical fidelity - but Sony does make nice hardware and this is easier to bung under the big screen. I am looking forward to the next gen version of FIFA 14 though - the PC version is still using the old engine, unfortunately.

So, the PS4 arrived this morning. ms pap and the girls have gone into Liverpool City Centre for Christmas shopping. Just me and the PS4, even though I am not allowed until Christmas :)

Decided to unwrap it and check that everything works. Have spent the past four hours buggering about on it. Here is my illicit mini-review. Don't tell ms pap, as she'll only nag and believe me, the scouse accent is particularly suited to nagging and whining.

First impressions. The box wasn't that big, but then, neither is the console. I think I'm right in saying that it's smaller than any PS3 out there. It's not quite as svelte as the PS2 slim, but it is surprisingly small. It's parallelipiped, which is a fancy way of saying it's like a cuboid modelled after a parallelogram. No-one remember secondary school maths? :)

I bought a bundle, so the standard gubbins was in one box - everything else in a cardboard insert, all wrapped up in one flimsy cardboard cover. Two controllers, and the Killzone Shadow Fall game. The charger cable for your controllers is a standard phone charger cable. Basically, if you're not Essruu, you should have one of these kicking around the house. You can also charge the controller with a standard phone charger too. Doesn't have to be plugged into the PS3.

The controller deserves a special mention. It may just be the greatest videogame controller of all time. Here's what I like about it. I loved the original psOne controller when it was first released. That said, I always felt that the analogue sticks on PS controllers weren't up to par. They felt bolted on, and they were. Nintendo had just released the N64's controller at the time. Sony was playing catch-up. The analog sticks, while perfectly serviceable, were an afterthought - always third best compared to Nintendo and Microsoft. The PS2 and PS3 used this same basic template for the DualShock2 and DualShock3 controllers. The PS4 controller is a great mix of innovation and familiarity. The analog sticks have been refined. They don't feel as spongy or indistinct as previous PS pads. The D-Pad has also been refined - the outer edges of each D-Pad button are on a much higher slope. It's a neat trick which I've seen used elsewhere, leaving the player in no doubt as to what is about to be pressed. Likewise the analog triggers, third best in the previous generation, are much improved - easier to find with your fingers and a much more graded feel when looking for positions between the extremities.

The space between the d-pad and face buttons has a touchpad area. This can be used for mouse-like operations - haven't seen it in too many games yet. However, as good as the rest of the pad is, my favourite feature is the ability to plug a standard set of headphones into the pad, and route all your audio through that. As someone who gets asked to lower the volume of games all the time, this is a godsend. I'd previously had to snake a long extension cable into a TV or receiving equipment.

The out-of-game environment is much, much zippier than the PS3, and can be accessed while you are playing a game. Comes up instantly too. You have the option to link your PSN and Facebook account, meaning that my console is now configured to show me my ugly mug when switched on. Could be a good deterrent for burglars :)

I suppose that we should talk about the games. I got Killzone as part of my bundle. Haven't really played it too much, but had a quick blast at both single and multiplayer. Single player looks very nice, but is capped at 30 frames per second. The extra horse power looks to being used for some very nice effects on characters. Beads of sweat running down brows, close ups with characters that are supposed to mean something to you. It looks excellent. Multiplayer actually runs at 60 frames per second, which is a lot smoother.

I haven't actually played any other full price retail games, but anyone with a Playstation Plus account is likely to be playing Resogun, an old skool shoot-em-up with modern graphics. It comes free to anyone who has a PS Plus subscription. Resogun is a contemporary version of 80s classic Defender. People are already touting it as one of the best games on the system. As an oldish fogey who loves seeing retro stuff kept fresh, I love it.

On the whole Playstation Plus thing. My advice, particularly to PS4 players, is to get it. While you can play online without a PS Plus account on PS3, the same cannot be said for PS4. Want to play online? You need Playstation Plus. Old Sony hands may be affronted at this notion. After all, the fact that you didn't have to pay for online gaming on PS3 was a stick that Sony fanbois used to beat the XBox crowd with for six years. I still think it worth it. PS Plus is less than the cost of a game, opens up online gaming and provides lots of freebies over the course of the year. The latter offerings are so good I've had an unbroken PS Plus account for four years now.

Back to games. I picked up Flower, which I'd already bought for the PS3 (was free on PS4 for me when I logged in). Flower is a beautiful enough game on PS3, even today - so this was a good opportunity to do a bit of comparison. Graphically, the big jump is the full HD visuals. However, what stood out here (again) was the pad. Flower is exclusively controlled by SixAxis on both systems. This was the feature in PS3 which does tilt detection on the game pad. The original idea was that it would be used in flying games and suchlike. It never really took off on the PS3 - mostly relegated to a few mini-games in larger titles. I think it'll work on PS4. The difference between PS3 Flower's controls and the PS4 version is like the difference between trying to do a three point turn in a oil tanker compared to the same in a Hackney Cab.

Another interesting point on games; expect to see a ton more games on PS4 than you did on PS3. The PS3 used proprietary chipsets for most of its architecture, the most infamous being the "Cell" processors used to drive it. While the "Cell" was nice and all, it was a beast for coders to get the most out of it. It's one of the reasons that the PS3 normally came up short in side-by-side comparisons - developers were able to get more out of the 360 with less effort. That's changed in PS4 - the architecture is very similar to the PC, and the implications are apparent from day one. There are two free-to-play games available on the system. Fair enough, DC Universe Online was out on PS3, but War Thunder is a very recent PC game. I was surprised to see it on PS4, but I really shouldn't have been. Now, I'm of the opinion that we'll see most PC stuff ported over to PS4 with very little fuss.

Overall, I am very impressed with what looks to be a very capable gaming machine. It won't be challenging my PC for visual fidelity anytime soon, if ever - but for anyone who wants a gaming machine without the bi-annual 2K Gaming PC tax, it comes highly recommended at £350.

I can't even comprehend how the graphics are going to look on the next generation of consoles, honestly how much better can they get, and what the hell are they going to look like in 6-7 years time when the PS5, new Xbox are announced?

So how is this better than a ps3?

I've been meaning to provide a semi-intelligent response to these queries for some time (well, Jonnyboy's mainly - but bp is asking the same thing).

I got a gaming PC back in February of this year. Was the first real PC I'd bought in over a decade - e.g. not a work machine re-purposed for nefarious personal enjoyment ends. Went the full hog and got (at the time) a pair of the two top graphics cards. I'd like to think I know a little about where visual fidelity is going.

Graphics wise, it largely boils down to three things:-

1) Resolution

How many individual pixels a machine can bang out on an average screen refresh. The more tiny dots it gets to use to produce an image, the more detailed that image will be.

2) Refresh rate

How many times a screen refreshes in a second, a.k.a. frames per second. Really smooth games run at sixty games per second. A common trick on more demanding games is to run it at thirty frames per second. Because the screen is only being drawn half as much, more stuff can be processed during the game loop.

Film is 24 frames per second. The benchmark for gaming is 60 frames per second.

3) Lighting

Cannot stress how important this is. I'm not even going to try. A picture tells a thousand words after all. Two screenshots from Tomb Raider - one at lowest settings on my PC, the other at highest settings.

Low:-

tr_low.png

Ultra:-

tr_ultra.png

These are only screenshots, but they show what a difference lighting makes.

I thought about buying a gaming pc but the pc gamers wont admit its not as easy buying one and it simply running a game, the near infinite variations of set up causes problems with certain games, an example I recently found was the excellent LA Noire, this game on my system seriously lags and is an issue I found out with quite a few pc's, a bad port, I will add my lap top can play most games on mid-high settings, if you simply want to play a game buy when you can get one a ps4.

Its as simple as that, if you want to mod and play games like skyrim then get a pc.

I thought about buying a gaming pc but the pc gamers wont admit its not as easy buying one and it simply running a game, the near infinite variations of set up causes problems with certain games, an example I recently found was the excellent LA Noire, this game on my system seriously lags and is an issue I found out with quite a few pc's, a bad port, I will add my lap top can play most games on mid-high settings, if you simply want to play a game buy when you can get one a ps4.

Its as simple as that, if you want to mod and play games like skyrim then get a pc.

These days it is really easy unless you're unlucky or your machine has something wrong with it.

I've actually finished LA Noire on PC. It didn't run too quickly on my laptop, and when I got the gaming PC, still had some bloody weird issues with things looking too bright. My workaround was to Alt-Tab in and out. On switching back in, it was fine. So yep, it can still be a problem, but it's the exception rather than the norm these days.

The machine itself is a big outlay, and it's not as easy to lug about.

Those are the bad points. On the plus side, games are loads cheaper, especially in this next-gen "north of fifty quid" age. Graphics are tons better, paid console DLC is often free on PC. Mods are a good point but so too is the breadth of titles, some utterly hatstand and never likely to make their way to a console.

Those are the bad points. On the plus side, games are loads cheaper, especially in this next-gen "north of fifty quid" age. Graphics are tons better, paid console DLC is often free on PC. Mods are a good point but so too is the breadth of titles, some utterly hatstand and never likely to make their way to a console.

I don't want to get into a PC v Console argument here (because PC's always going to win) but there are pro's and con's to both in my opinion.

Also, every next-gen game I've bought has never been more than £49.99, more than PC games definitely but they will go down to the standard £40 in 6-8 months time I reckon.

Also, I wouldn't say PC graphics are 'loads' better. The graphics are still better yes, but the difference is minimal in my opinion.

I've watched videos from Digital Foundry on graphical difference between Battlefield 4 on PS4 and PC and there really is very little difference in my opinion.

The best thing about PC gaming is Steam and best part about console gaming is knowing you won't have to spend another £300+ in 3 years time to update your rig to play the latest games in 'ultra' graphics setting.

Edited by BlakeySFC

I don't want to get into a PC v Console argument here (because PC's always going to win) but there are pro's and con's to both in my opinion.

Also, every next-gen game I've bought has never been more than £49.99, more than PC games definitely but they will go down to the standard £40 in 6-8 months time I reckon.

Also, I wouldn't say PC graphics are 'loads' better. The graphics are still better yes, but the difference is minimal in my opinion.

I've watched videos from Digital Foundry on graphical difference between Battlefield 4 on PS4 and PC and there really is very little difference in my opinion.

In my opinion the best thing about PC gaming is Steam and best part about console gaming is knowing you won't have to spend another £300+ in 3 years time to update your rig to play the latest games in 'ultra' graphics setting.

I've been meaning to reply to this for a bit. In a sense, you can't really get away from a comparison - mostly because it's such a delicious contrast. Do you spend upwards of a grand on a PC and then reap the benefit of £5 games in Steam sales, or do you outlay a more modest 350 knicker and get yourself a PS4 and spend over fifty quid on full price retail for each game you buy?

Pricing on PS4/One games is presently ridiculous and unjustified. Many of the multi-platform games can be had for much less on a PC, despite the fact that in almost all cases, the PC version will look better on a gaming rig. The argument that companies have to do more doesn't really wash with me. They're already doing high resolution assets (for the PC) and the new crop of consoles have been declared "easier to code for". I reckon this is a permanent move to a £50 price point.

Finally, I'm not down on the PS4. Wouldn't have written it such a glowing review if I was. It's a fantastic machine for the price, but to suggest that there is very little difference between that and a custom-built PC is wide of the mark, imo. It's a great 1080p machine; that doesn't make it a gaming leviathan. My motor is a great all-round car for getting about the UK, but I'm not going to pretend it's a Ferrari. If you've got a PS4, be happy - it looks like it's going to dominate the console space for the next 6 years.

In 1996 when I bought Tomb Raider and Wipeout, they cost £45 each. Even text adventure games used to be £25 before that.

In 1994 I paid £65 for Mortal Kombat II on the SNES. Around the same time, Neo Geo games cost anywhere between £150 and £300 each.

In 1996, the market was a lot smaller than it is now. To provide a bit of context, at the end of 1996, there were 2.9 million Playstation units in the wild. That's after two years of being on release. The PS4 has confirmed figures of 2.1 million already, and will exceed 2.9 million within two months.

The point is moot anyway. If a better version of the game is going for sub-40 quid on a PC, there's no way that a price north of 50 for the console version can be justified.

I've been meaning to reply to this for a bit. In a sense, you can't really get away from a comparison - mostly because it's such a delicious contrast. Do you spend upwards of a grand on a PC and then reap the benefit of £5 games in Steam sales, or do you outlay a more modest 350 knicker and get yourself a PS4 and spend over fifty quid on full price retail for each game you buy?

Pricing on PS4/One games is presently ridiculous and unjustified. Many of the multi-platform games can be had for much less on a PC, despite the fact that in almost all cases, the PC version will look better on a gaming rig. The argument that companies have to do more doesn't really wash with me. They're already doing high resolution assets (for the PC) and the new crop of consoles have been declared "easier to code for". I reckon this is a permanent move to a £50 price point.

Finally, I'm not down on the PS4. Wouldn't have written it such a glowing review if I was. It's a fantastic machine for the price, but to suggest that there is very little difference between that and a custom-built PC is wide of the mark, imo. It's a great 1080p machine; that doesn't make it a gaming leviathan. My motor is a great all-round car for getting about the UK, but I'm not going to pretend it's a Ferrari. If you've got a PS4, be happy - it looks like it's going to dominate the console space for the next 6 years.

I agree with many of your points, I absolutely love Steam and the deals you can get on there whilst you look on the PSN/XBL stores and most games are more expensive on there than they are in retail stores which is ridiculous really. In this day and age they should at least be the same price as their boxed retail counterparts, maybe even less as you don't have the distribution costs involved.

In all honesty, If I had a powerful gaming PC at the moment I don't think I'd bother with the next-gen systems really.

Edited by BlakeySFC

I agree with many of your points, I absolutely love Steam and the deals you can get on there whilst you look on the PSN/XBL stores and most games are more expensive on there than they are in retail stores which is ridiculous really. In this day and age they should at least be the same price as their boxed retail counterparts, maybe even less as you don't have the distribution costs involved.

In all honesty, If I had a powerful gaming PC at the moment I don't think I'd bother with the next-gen systems really.

Problem is, not many of my peers have a powerful gaming PC, whereas most of them will be locatable on a PS4 or XBox at some point in the future. There's also the small matter of console exclusives. I very much enjoyed Uncharted and Infamous last generation, which simply weren't available anywhere else. Same thing goes for the likes of Flower and all the Pixel Junk stuff.

The other thing to consider is a level playing field. I'm really not that great on FPSs on PC, but I can handle myself on a console.

I am sure I remember that street fighter 2 was horrifically expensive on the SNES when it was the most popular game in the country

£65 as well, more if you were importing it before it launched in the UK. A mate of mine paid close to a ton for the US version, but damn we had some fun one summer.

Low:-

tr_low.png

Ultra:-

tr_ultra.png

These are only screenshots, but they show what a difference lighting makes.

Looks very impressive, bit concerned that upping the resolution makes the bad guy dissapear though.

Still annoyed that there is no backwards compatibility - I have a ton of PS3 games that I still play and love as do the kids

We only have one TV and there are no free HDMI ports - so it would mean swapping out one console for another.

I will waiit until there is a must have title I think before revisiting it

Looks very impressive, bit concerned that upping the resolution makes the bad guy dissapear though.

Still annoyed that there is no backwards compatibility - I have a ton of PS3 games that I still play and love as do the kids

We only have one TV and there are no free HDMI ports - so it would mean swapping out one console for another.

I will waiit until there is a must have title I think before revisiting it

Yeah, it's not exactly the same shot :)

Think I jumped the gun on the second video.

Re: backward compatibility. Always sounds like a nice idea, and is actually practical for year one. Tends to be less important after that, once games have started flooding in for the new platform. I'll be donating my PS3 to Juvenile Unit #2. It's tons easier swapping them in and out with HDMI now anyway.

£65 as well, more if you were importing it before it launched in the UK. A mate of mine paid close to a ton for the US version, but damn we had some fun one summer.

It was indeed £65 on SNES PAL - my US Import was only £70 months before that though. I won't pay more than £39 for a game nowadays, probably sensible when you consider I've got 2 Bioshocks and a Crackdown 2 untouched in the shrinkwrap on 360, and haven't played either of the last two Arkham Games (or GTAV) on PS3 yet.

• 3 weeks later...

So it's Chrimbo +3, and I've had some time to get to know my new console.

Games-wise, I'm rocking Resogun, FIFA 14, NBA 2K14, Killzone and Injustice : Gods Among Us. Juvenile Unit #2 and I have played quite a bit of FIFA.

Plugged the camera in and had a go on Gamesroom, which is an interesting demo of the tech. Tons of little robots jump out of your pad and run around your living room in one game. It's nothing like as impactful as Wii Sports was back in the day, but I can see some fun applications for smaller kids with it. Unplugged as soon as I'd finished. Nice to be able to do that. I want a PS4, not 1984 :)

If I'm being completely honest, I'm waiting for much bigger games to come out, but this seems to be a much more solid launch than the 360, the last console I picked up at launch. Some decent examples of most genres are available, although I refuse to pay £50 for a fkn LEGO game - it's like running Solitaire on a gaming PC :) That said, having a lot of fun with FIFA and Resogun specifically.

got a few spare pennies

not an avid gamer but liked the PS3 more than Xbox as it seemed just easier. and I could play online games for free.

what would you recommend. ps4 or xbox one?

It's difficult to give a clear recommendation - they are actually very similar in most respects. The two obvious differences are:

1. You can buy the PS4 without a camera, making it a bit cheaper. Go for a bundle with the camera included (XBox One doesn't give you a choice) and the prices are about the same.

2. XBox One is designed as being an all-in-one media centre, whilst PS4 is very much a games machine.

You can't now play online games for free on either system - you'll need a Playstation Plus subscription to play PS4 online. But it does give you (small) discounts on some games - and some good, occasionally extremely good, games for free.

Me? I had the PS3 and now have the PS4, but I can't really comment on the XBox One as I've not tried one out.

got a few spare pennies

not an avid gamer but liked the PS3 more than Xbox as it seemed just easier. and I could play online games for free.

what would you recommend. ps4 or xbox one?

I've gone for the PS4 for now. Out of the two, it's easily the most technically capable. It can run games at full HD that only run at 720p on the XBox One. There may be some killer applications out that'll convince me to pick up a One later on, but until then - I've gone for the console I consider the "better" machine.

I bought a 360 around launch and loved that, so this isn't really bias. I just think MS might have dropped the ball in splitting the focus of their product, with gamers losing out.

I've gone for the PS4 for now. Out of the two, it's easily the most technically capable. It can run games at full HD that only run at 720p on the XBox One. There may be some killer applications out that'll convince me to pick up a One later on, but until then - I've gone for the console I consider the "better" machine.

I bought a 360 around launch and loved that, so this isn't really bias. I just think MS might have dropped the ball in splitting the focus of their product, with gamers losing out.

Well it is really bias... tbh. Games like Fifa 14 and Need for Speed: Rivals are identical and are at full HD. Other games like battlefield and cod suffered due to the lateness of the finalized One tech specs.

personally, I have a long memory regarding PlayStation network down time, the security issues and the promise of cross game chat that Sony simply couldn't implement.

Well it is really bias... tbh. Games like Fifa 14 and Need for Speed: Rivals are identical and are at full HD. Other games like battlefield and cod suffered due to the lateness of the finalized One tech specs.

personally, I have a long memory regarding PlayStation network down time, the security issues and the promise of cross game chat that Sony simply couldn't implement.

You make some fair points with respect to the problems on PSN. A horrendous episode for company and customer. I'll add to that. Their attitude toward the consumer was extremely arrogant.

Those things are easy enough to turn around. Sony would be mental if they hadn't learned from their PSN debacle.

I hope for your sake that Xbox One gets a better proportion of full HD games, but right now, it doesn't cut the mustard.

You make some fair points with respect to the problems on PSN. A horrendous episode for company and customer. I'll add to that. Their attitude toward the consumer was extremely arrogant.

Those things are easy enough to turn around. Sony would be mental if they hadn't learned from their PSN debacle.

I hope for your sake that Xbox One gets a better proportion of full HD games, but right now, it doesn't cut the mustard.

I've currently got Battlefield 4, Dead Rising 3, NFS: Rivals, Fifa 14, CoD: Ghosts, Killer Instinct, Powerstar Golf & Peggle 2.... I'm more than happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Mightily tempted and nearly cracked at the weekend. Its the boys birthday coming up so i may get one for him ;)

Had a little play on Knack which was very cool - do any of the games use the touchpad thingy in the middle yet?

Have to say in the hand the dualshock felt like one of the best controllers I've ever held

• 1 month later...