ps4

Barry Sanchez

Couldn't as it was in a dungeon

I do love those sort of games, Jonnyboy. Spent many an afternoon going through Fallout 3, which was superb. Skyrim is just massive though. The sort of game that you can delve into and emerge from several hours later.

Gotta save often, I find. Historically, all of those games could be a bit ropey on all platforms. They aim pretty high in what they set out to do, so the occasional reload is forgivable. However, getting stuck between rocks is a pretty crappy reason.

Oh cool I'll have to get fallout 3 but then again I'd like my life back.

Just got enchanting and Smithing up to 100, and character up to 47, but it seems like I'm barely half way through the game.

One major difference is the amount of gun-play involved.

They have this aiming system called VATS. Freezes time, allows you to pick body parts to shoot off. Slow motion on critical hits. It's ace.

• 2 weeks later...
i ordered one off amazon a few days after release and got it delivered next day...

And many people did, but there was still a remarkable shortage of them over the first Xmas period following launch, and there weren't many around for people who wanted to wait for the bundles to come out. And there were STILL shortages long after that, plus it was the more expensive console and at the time, no-one really knew which was the better technology (and still don't).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FIFA 14 will have exclusive ultimate team content on the Xbox One. It will be interesting to see if people would rather have the exclusives or pay 80 quid less.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Depending on wether publishers front load game prices for the ps4. With Xbox Pne following the PC pricing model, its likely those dowloads will be cheaper.

Depending on wether publishers front load game prices for the ps4. With Xbox Pne following the PC pricing model, its likely those dowloads will be cheaper.

You really are in denial that Microsoft have f*cked up, aren't you.

I'm happy to wait and see. But if developers are able to make more money from one system than the other. Then they'll make games for that system. And developers don't make money from preowned.

I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox one and pc games were at the same price. And ps4 games were higher to cover the DRM differences.

The problem for the XBox One is that even if the games are cheaper, taking the PS4 option puts you £80 in pocket to start with. Hard to argue against that. As for developers: well, they'll develop for both consoles anyway. And if the PS4 steals a big march on the XB1, then that's all the more incentive to release games on the PS4. After all, if a developer sells more copies of their game on the PS4 they'll make more money - irrespective of the 2nd hand market.

From the user's point of view, £80 up to start with, the freedom to play used games (saving more cash), and not needing to connect to the Internet every day - bit of a no-brainer.

Microsoft got destroyed by Sony last night. Completely suicidal for them to include the Kinect within the box, have much more restrictions on how to play the games, be technologically inferior and then cost £80 more.

Sony rubbing it in :lol:

For me it is all about the games. As a pc owner i am already used to steam where i cant sell my games so isnt really an issue. Same goes for ones on my tablet and phone.

The price is very good for the PS4 but i dont think they showed any games that made me think i really need to get it right now.

MS showed more appealing games in my opinion. Titanfall alone will make me want to get one.

However ps4 is region free so can grab one when i am in states and bring it make for about £250 :)

Really looking forward to the Elder Scrolls on PS4, the next Final Fantasy and hopefully Portal 3 ( we can hope anyway) . The game that has been played most on our PS3 is Little big planet - an epic game and there are some brilliant people making levels at home for it

I'm happy to wait and see. But if developers are able to make more money from one system than the other. Then they'll make games for that system. And developers don't make money from preowned.

I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox one and pc games were at the same price. And ps4 games were higher to cover the DRM differences.

The developers will go where games could be sold and where its easy to program or easier.

The developers will go where games could be sold and where its easy to program or easier.

People fail to see the cost that are involved in games today. on Release Tomb Raider on the original Playstation was £45 from electronics boutique. Now they release at less, and they cost massively more to develop. Used games ARE completely bastardizing the amount of money they can recoup. Do the bosses at companies like EA and Activision want to sell 10 copies that then go through the second handmarket 10 times? or do they want to have 100 sales, admitedly with price drops along the way, but earning a percentage of money from all 100 sales?

I can see why people like the used games market, but it is unsustainable if we want continually improved games.

he was right then, that they are going to lock games to consoles?

Nope. He was wrong mate.

He said he'd heard a worrying rumour that Sony were going to lock games. They're not.

I said it'd be near commercial suicide for any company to ditch pre-owned.

So, proved right on point one, and I reckon, soon to be proved right on point two.

I think the PS4 is a clear winner here, the fact that it's cheaper allows them to win hands down in my opinion. Technically the console is much much better.

At the end of the day, the pitch for the XBOX was all about having a home media centre. What if I already have one? What if I already have a smart TV? It renders all those ''big'' features utterly pointless and not worth paying the money for.

The PS4 have got it right in terms of gaming, at the end of the day...that's what this is for.

People fail to see the cost that are involved in games today. on Release Tomb Raider on the original Playstation was £45 from electronics boutique. Now they release at less, and they cost massively more to develop. Used games ARE completely bastardizing the amount of money they can recoup. Do the bosses at companies like EA and Activision want to sell 10 copies that then go through the second handmarket 10 times? or do they want to have 100 sales, admitedly with price drops along the way, but earning a percentage of money from all 100 sales?

I can see why people like the used games market, but it is unsustainable if we want continually improved games.

Flawed argument, for many reasons.

First off, the installed bases are huge now compared to what they were. Second, games are not the only way to make money from a console. Today's consoles are entertainment portals, offering other digital goods and services for sale. Finally, I take issue with the notion that used games are killing off the potential for continually improved games.

The most innovative games of the last decade haven't usually been big console games. Usually, they're either independent download only releases, on PC or console. Look at the big hitters. Call of Duty, a very accomplished FPS. FIFA, slightly different game every year with slightly bigger number. This is the annual market games publishers chase. They're going after mainstream tastes, which is pretty much the opposite of what you want if you're looking for innovation and improvement.

If anything is responsible for the lack of continually improved ( and by that, I mean genuine revolution, not iterative refinement ), it's commercial consideration. You only need to look at the number of sequels in gaming to suss that one out.

No its not, its sustainable as it exists, why would on your example would playstation plus give away games? An example, they gave away mass effect 3 3 months ago, I then went out and bought the other two, they made money, I resented giving it to ea though.

Xbox One’s Xbox Live network will only work in certain countries at launch, according to a disclaimer on the console’s official pre-order page.

xboxoneregionsmapneogaf.png

Per the page, Xbox Live on the new system will only work in the following countries:

Australia

Austria

Belgium

Brazil

Canada

Denmark

Finland

France

Germany

Ireland

Italy

Mexico

Netherlands

New Zealand

Norway

Russia

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

United Kingdom

United States

No Japan as well as no India or China (two highest populated countries). What the f*ck are Microsoft doing :lol:

No Japan as well as no India or China (two highest populated countries). What the f*ck are Microsoft doing :lol:

There may be some method to the madness. On a trip to the corporate mothership, I sat with one of our security boys. He showed me the security software, which showed real-time monitoring of threats. Most of them were coming from grey countries.

Both XBOXes were commercial failures in Japan, China has a massive counterfeiting culture and the infamous Great Firewall of China.

I suspect that for most other countries, it's a case of bang for the buck. Cost of distribution vs whether local markets will bear cost of hardware. This isn't necessarily that mental, but most of the other stuff has been.

They're only launching it in 21/50 states of the US as well :lol:

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/7154-microsoft-confirms-xbox-one-will-only-work-in-21-states-in-the-us-at-launch/

Pre-ordered my PS4 back in February when it was announced.

Still undecided on the Xbox One...some of the games look cool, but the anti-consumer DRM measures they're taking seriously put me off, if I can't sell my games on eBay after I'm done with them them I really don't know if I can be bothered with the Xbone.

Edited by BlakeySFC

There may be some method to the madness. On a trip to the corporate mothership, I sat with one of our security boys. He showed me the security software, which showed real-time monitoring of threats. Most of them were coming from grey countries.

Both XBOXes were commercial failures in Japan, China has a massive counterfeiting culture and the infamous Great Firewall of China.

I suspect that for most other countries, it's a case of bang for the buck. Cost of distribution vs whether local markets will bear cost of hardware. This isn't necessarily that mental, but most of the other stuff has been.

Microsoft have ****ed up and its amusing, their strategy of shafting the punter will now this gen come home to roost, what a **** company full stop.

Signed up to playstation plus at the weekend and its brilliant - loads of free games for the vita and the ps3 , kids playing Okami and LBP racing all for £40, presume this will apply to the PS4 as well

Anyone mentioned yet if the PS4 will be backwards compatible?

• 2 months later...
Signed up to playstation plus at the weekend and its brilliant - loads of free games for the vita and the ps3 , kids playing Okami and LBP racing all for £40, presume this will apply to the PS4 as well

Anyone mentioned yet if the PS4 will be backwards compatible?

no backwards playability however if you have PSN Plus (Which you do because you just signed up to it) then you can download any game and it will work on the PS4

no backwards playability however if you have PSN Plus (Which you do because you just signed up to it) then you can download any game and it will work on the PS4

So any game youve already purchaesd on PSN you can't download onto your ps4 or is it just physical copies that won't work??

Be careful with playstation plus. Apparently if your sub lapses for one day, you lose access to all games you've previously downloaded. Then you can only get whatever free games are on offer when you resubscribe.

Be careful with playstation plus. Apparently if your sub lapses for one day, you lose access to all games you've previously downloaded. Then you can only get whatever free games are on offer when you resubscribe.

That's just nonsense. The proof? I've had a PS+ subscription on and off since it was first implemented. Obviously if your subscription lapses the free games will no longer be accessible (though anything you've paid money for, even if discounted via PS+, is yours to keep). However as soon as you resubscribe the old free content will be bumped to the top of your downloads list and be playable again.

• 3 weeks later...

I see Sony are releasing a £100 vita TV console to accompany the ps4. Its similar to the apple TV in size but has a slot to put vita games in to play on your big screen TV. Also it is used to remote play all ps4 games (except eye camera games) and PSN stuff. Ideal for a TV in another room

Sent from my ARCHOS 80 TITANIUM using Tapatalk 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Playstation Network has been down all day for the US launch and EA are warning of system instability with PS4 Firmware.

Sony has released a firmware update for the PlayStation 4 that is required for many features on the console. However, this update also results in stability issues while playing games on the system.

Hope Sony can sort everything out for launch in the EU and other territories.

Edited by Nolan

It's inevitable that there will be PSN problems when it launches here... The network will be hit soooo hard. We'll just have to put up with it I'm afraid. It will almost be worth not taking the day off and letting things settle down.

Almost ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Judging by these sales figures, looks like the PS4 trounced XBone sales over their respective opening weekends.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-02-playstation-4-uk-launch-sales-are-over-250k

I think we have a new Betamax.

Bad analogy.... Consider that both sold more in one weekend the same amount that the Wii U sold in a year..... jesus!! It looks as though both Xbox One and the PS4 have got off to excellent starts admittedly with the PS4 ahead and based on the launch price that can hardly be a surprise.

Bad analogy.... Consider that both sold more in one weekend the same amount that the Wii U sold in a year..... jesus!! It looks as though both Xbox One and the PS4 have got off to excellent starts admittedly with the PS4 ahead and based on the launch price that can hardly be a surprise.

The Wii U will be alright. Not going to make anything like the money of these two, but Nintendo will continue to make lots of money off their first-party titles. They're not even trying to compete on the same turf.

Returning to the two consoles that are competing on the same turf, these are early, but important indicators. The real test will be in six months time, and how many units of each console are still going out of the door. Early adopters are one thing. It's the me-too crowd which often defines a generation. The volume of them hitting the market is really how winners are decided.

With the last-gen, exclusives were usually decided as part of a commercial agreement. Console Maker X pays Software Developer Y amount of money Z so that they'll restrict the number of platforms their game hits. With this gen, there's a good chance that third party developers may look at installed bases and decide that the XBox One is not worth the effort. That's decision-making based on commercial consideration. It'll be interesting to see what the installed bases are like in a year's time.