ps4

Barry Sanchez

they are going to kill off the 2nd hand gaming market....before you can play a game you will have to enter a srl number and it will be linked to you playstation/PSN account

If that is the case I can honestly see Game/Gamestation or whichever it is called now going under in the next gen of consoles. I've lost count of the amount of times I've popped in to look for a quick bargain and ended up spending £30+ because I'm so weak willed. Remove that and the only times anyone will ever go into a shop is if they know they are definitely buying a game.

they are going to kill off the 2nd hand gaming market....before you can play a game you will have to enter a srl number and it will be linked to you playstation/PSN account

how would that work with game rentals? Can't see them doing that to be honest

Similar rumblings about licensing were announced back when the PS3 was up for release. In the end, Sony never took that option. Any company releasing a disc based console would be mental to put that sort of restriction in place. A lot of people depend on pre-owned for their gaming.

A console that you can't get pre-owned games on. Games that have no resale value. The only place this concept works is a download only service like Steam, and it only works there because of some heavy discounting.

Similar rumblings about licensing were announced back when the PS3 was up for release. In the end, Sony never took that option. Any company releasing a disc based console would be mental to put that sort of restriction in place. A lot of people depend on pre-owned for their gaming.

A console that you can't get pre-owned games on. Games that have no resale value. The only place this concept works is a download only service like Steam, and it only works there because of some heavy discounting.

But Sony makes no money from selling consoles (in fact, don't they lose quite a bit on each PS3?), nor from the 2nd hand game market. They make their money from legitimate, 1st hand games sales.

I realise that taking these steps might lead to gamers who rely on the 2nd hand market not buying a PS4, but that wouldn't really impact on Sony's bottom line would it, as those gamers don't contribute to Sony's profits?

Rather than 2nd hand games, they could just rerelease the games at 2nd hand prices, several months after release, possibly as a digital download to keep the costs down? At least then they would see some money from those gamers who don't buy full price games?

But Sony makes no money from selling consoles (in fact, don't they lose quite a bit on each PS3?), nor from the 2nd hand game market. They make their money from legitimate, 1st hand games sales.

I realise that taking these steps might lead to gamers who rely on the 2nd hand market not buying a PS4, but that wouldn't really impact on Sony's bottom line would it, as those gamers don't contribute to Sony's profits?

Rather than 2nd hand games, they could just rerelease the games at 2nd hand prices, several months after release, possibly as a digital download to keep the costs down? At least then they would see some money from those gamers who don't buy full price games?

Most gamers stock their portfolios using a combination of used, new and download titles. To have one of those options removed will hurt sales.

Sony doesn't have to release loss-leaders. That's a business choice it makes. Their whole schtick is bringing the most technically competent console to market. PS1 = streets ahead of Saturn for 3D. PS2 was better than Dreamcast for most stuff, and of course was a DVD player. PS3 had completely new architecture and a BluRay player.

Nintendo have just released the Wii U. Does 1080p no problem, and they make money on every unit. They have done since the GameCube, I believe.

Most gamers stock their portfolios using a combination of used, new and download titles. To have one of those options removed will hurt sales.

Sony doesn't have to release loss-leaders. That's a business choice it makes. Their whole schtick is bringing the most technically competent console to market. PS1 = streets ahead of Saturn for 3D. PS2 was better than Dreamcast for most stuff, and of course was a DVD player. PS3 had completely new architecture and a BluRay player.

Nintendo have just released the Wii U. Does 1080p no problem, and they make money on every unit. They have done since the GameCube, I believe.

It was their choice to sell the ps3 $200 at a loss when it came out a unit but who would of bought a ps3 at over £500 with few games? They have won the battle of hd dvd/blu ray so it obviously will have a blu ray but what else?

Not neccessarily, steam maybe available for cheaper non hard copies? The steam/tv game system will be released soon as well, could be a cloud system and no hard copies?

Heard some rumours that both Microsoft and Sony will be having a closed event for press prior to GDC (Games developers conference) then Sony will be having a Playstation event just after it for the public. So maybe they will reveal by end of March.

Which would then give them time to work on the E3 presentation a few months later and then release end of september/october. They won't release in November as that is when the new 360 will get released and they will want to be first out this gen.

PS4 will in my opinion make or break Sony as a company. Another bad launch or a botched product and it will be over.

Exactly. That is why it was a botched launch. For the first year on sale the ps2 outsold it.

The same thing is happening with the vita. The bog standard ds is out selling it.

Sony cant afford to run them at a loss this time as they have no money. A failed launch will heap so much pressure on them.

The ps3 is awesome. But the failed start meant it always played catch up to 360 and wii.

Sony haven't done a decent product launch since the PS2.

They trade on technology but sometimes miss the obvious point. It's all about the games and the connections people make with them. I do love my PS3, and in Sony's defence, they have gone to great lengths to turn the whole Playstation value proposition thing up. Playstation Plus is brilliant value for money. All those free games released every month? Must really annoy pre-owned retailers.

But, the PS3 era has to be seen as a commercial disaster for the company. Too late to market, downright arrogant in their hype ( "HD doesn't begin til PS3 launches" ) and managed to lose an incredible amount of market share in the West.

• 2 weeks later...

The Xbox 720 (Codename: Durango) is set to be announced at E3 2013 (in June 2013), one of their major bloggers even put a countdown clock on a recent post saying "It is on...'

The PS4 (Codename: Orbis) is set to be announced at or just before E3 2013 (May/June 2013).

The 720 is set for release in Autumn 2013 and the PS4 is set for release in March/April/May 2014.

It is also worth noting that neither are likely to be called the '720' or 'PS4' Sony are reportedly dropping the Number from the new console and it'll just be called the Playstation (insert word here), the '720' is likely to just be called 'Xbox'

Like I said very unlikely Sony will wait until E3 to announce the PS4. EA today said they will show off Fifa and Battlefield next gen games in a few months at an event and today sony have put this up

2cr945z.jpg

"Sony inviting gamers to 'see the future'"

[video=youtube;d-3GMHIgR-U]

Looks as though the March prediction was pretty close.

There is zero chance either of them will be released in 2014. They will be released this year as they have no AAA announced titles lined up for this year. They have both gone into secret mode for well over a year and the reason E3 2011 and 12 were so crap was because they know the next gen was a few years away so need to put full focus into the games for them. Major Nelson works for Microsoft (the blogger you talk of) and has put countless countdowns on his blog in the past. One of them counted down to a new Microsoft phone.

Microsoft and Sony will not announce their new consoles at E3 it will be done at their own events as has been done in the past. The 360 was announced/shown/unveiled on a Microsoft show on MTV. They will want an event all to themself to get maximum exposure ala Apple style. They won't want it to get trumped at E3 by something else.

I can't even comprehend how the graphics are going to look on the next generation of consoles, honestly how much better can they get, and what the hell are they going to look like in 6-7 years time when the PS5, new Xbox are announced?

I can't even comprehend how the graphics are going to look on the next generation of consoles, honestly how much better can they get, and what the hell are they going to look like in 6-7 years time when the PS5, new Xbox are announced?

If you search for the Unreal 4 tech demo on Google or watch the E3 demo of Watch Dogs or Star Wars 1313 you'll see what the graphics are gonna be like on the PS4/720.

Like I said very unlikely Sony will wait until E3 to announce the PS4. EA today said they will show off Fifa and Battlefield next gen games in a few months at an event and today sony have put this up

Looks as though the March prediction was pretty close.

There is zero chance either of them will be released in 2014. They will be released this year as they have no AAA announced titles lined up for this year. They have both gone into secret mode for well over a year and the reason E3 2011 and 12 were so crap was because they know the next gen was a few years away so need to put full focus into the games for them. Major Nelson works for Microsoft (the blogger you talk of) and has put countless countdowns on his blog in the past. One of them counted down to a new Microsoft phone.

Microsoft and Sony will not announce their new consoles at E3 it will be done at their own events as has been done in the past. The 360 was announced/shown/unveiled on a Microsoft show on MTV. They will want an event all to themself to get maximum exposure ala Apple style. They won't want it to get trumped at E3 by something else.

Personally, I would be extremely surprised if both were released this year, Sony are apparently behind Microsoft in manufacturing/production terms.

Alot of analysts have the PS4 pegged for Q1/Q2 2014 and the 720 pencilled in for Q3/Q4 2013.

We won't have long to wait to find out anyway, as I expect a rough release date to be given if the PS4 is announced (as expected) at the 'Future of Playstation' event on February 20th.

I heard the rumours that Sony would announce it before GDC but I didn't really believe them, I thought the rumours that they would announce it at an event 2/3 weeks before E3 was more feasible, but I was wrong. And I am very surprised that Sony are actually taking the initiative for once.

As for the 720, apparently Microsoft is currently deciding whether to hold its own event to announce the console or wait until E3, the whole countdown clock on Major Nelson's blog would indicate to me that it'll be announced at E3 but an event 2/3 weeks before E3 wouldn't be entirely surprising, maybe they'll even announce it at GDC in March.

Edited by BlakeySFC

I know little about a lot of the analysis side of all this but surely GTA V being pushed back hints at it being a launch title for next gen consoles? Surely it'd be a massive boost for xbox if GTA is released on their new console before PS4 is even released?

Nah, it has been in the pipeline for years now. Current platforms will be the target.

I know little about a lot of the analysis side of all this but surely GTA V being pushed back hints at it being a launch title for next gen consoles? Surely it'd be a massive boost for xbox if GTA is released on their new console before PS4 is even released?

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-01/31/grand-theft-auto-v-release-date-announced

September 17 on 360 and PS3.

Rumours about the new Xbox

Will come with kinect

Will have to have kinect connected

Have to be connected to Internet to play games

Current controllers won't work with it

Will have to activate games online before playing, game tied to that console.. Adds to the rumour about destroying the 2nd hand gaming market

Will have to activate games online before playing, game tied to that console.. Adds to the rumour about destroying the 2nd hand gaming market

I doubt any company (console makers) would do that as it would make their product less appealing. The only way they would do something like that is if they followed the Steam format where if you buy a game it is locked to your account and you can re-download it anytime. I would be interested in that.

But the second hand game market is huge so to cut it out would cause massive anger amongst customers. Not to mention all the places like Game and CEX which rely on it.

I have heard the rumours though that you mention and am pretty sure it is one of the many false ones. When we get to a few months out of the new gen you get a ton of people coming out with rumours. Some just by fan boys trying to create negativity. I still remember the one about before the Wii U came out that it would require you to look into the sensor bar so it reads your Iris and will then login for you. Yeah didn't quite happen!

The Kinect one would not surprise me as it is something Microsoft have invested a lot in. But they also have been developing a thing called Illumiroom, here is a tech demo

The controllers one I agree with though as most new consoles do that.

A gamer expert on talksport is saying he is hearing worrying rumours that Sony are also going to tie games to consoles and kill the 2nd hand market

Hmmmmmm

Sony filed a patent for some kind of in-console tech that locks games to one console.

But I seriously doubt either Sony or Microsoft would actually do this.

The 720 rumours about the always connected Kinect and always-on internet connection sound more plausible to me but again I doubt they'll actually be implemented when the consoles are released.

A gamer expert on talksport is saying he is hearing worrying rumours that Sony are also going to tie games to consoles and kill the 2nd hand market

Hmmmmmm

If he's saying that he's not an expert.

He's in good company. No-one on talkSPORT is.

Locking games to consoles only works if all manufacturers do it.

If only (say) 720 games are locked then the appeal of the ps4 skyrockets and visa versa.

True, and that's one of the main reasons why I don't think It'll actually happen.

In other news a picture of a prototype PS4 controller was doing the rounds earlier today (The Link Below)

http://kotaku.com/5984353/this-is-a-real-prototype-ps4-controller

It appears to be legit, and shows the rumoured PS4 Controller Touch-Pad.

It also shows Re-Designed R1/2 L1/2 buttons/triggers, Re-Designed D-Pad, Re-Designed Analog Sticks, a PS Move style LCD sensor at the top and a integrated speaker (much like the WiiMote/Wii U Gamepad).

Well he works for Game or IGN or something like that

Hmm, that'll make all the difference. When the PS3 launched, a lot of experts were saying the same thing about game licensing on that platform. Mostly, they got it completely wrong. The exceptions would be download titles, which very much fit the "license" model ( although some are more restrictive than others ) and the emergence of "online passes" shipped with retail versions of games, preventing you from going online with a preowned title unless you spend £10 or so for the privilege.

Completely different with the physical products. Are you telling me that Sony is going to have the balls to say "Hey consumers! This property you're buying? Your choices after sale are either keep it forever or bin it. You can never sell these goods to someone else!".

I'd like to see them try. I don't think even they are that mental.

I actually like the look of the Prototype PS4 controller.

I absolutely detest the Dualshock 3 and the prototype pictured above (if the final controller actually ends up being pretty similar) addresses alot of my issues with the Dualshock 3 and improves upon it greatly. My only bug-bear is that they haven't changed the position of the analog sticks to a left-stick up, right-stick down configuration like the 360 controller, not a huge issue I suppose but the positioned of the two analog sticks on the Dualshock 3 do annoy me somewhat.

Also Sony has released two videos entitled 'The Evolution of Playstation' to coinside with the PS4's imminent announcement:

Edited by BlakeySFC

• 1 month later...
I dont think the ps3 was botched in fact I think its an amazing piece of kit even by todays standards, it was the launch products and the price compared to the xbox that put people off.

It wasn't the product, it was the complete lack of ability for the customer to be able to buy the product even if they wanted it - there just weren't any around to be had and it took so long to get the console to the UK in sufficient numbers, and I for one got fed up of waiting and just bought a 360 instead. I then bought a PS3 years later when the price had come down enough to justify a second console. By the time I did that they were launching the 3rd version of it and I picked up an original "slim" for £100. Games of course were then dirt cheap, because I had 6 years' worth of back catalogue to explore and a load of under £10 classic games.

FWIW having both consoles, I can agree with the general opinion which is that Xbox Live is better than PSN because you pay for it, the graphics are much of a muchness on both, and the PS3 is less limited and more interactive with streaming and suchlike (and of course has BluRay rather than *cough* HD-DVD, not that I've ever used either).

It wasn't the product, it was the complete lack of ability for the customer to be able to buy the product even if they wanted it - there just weren't any around to be had and it took so long to get the console to the UK in sufficient numbers, and I for one got fed up of waiting and just bought a 360 instead. I then bought a PS3 years later when the price had come down enough to justify a second console. By the time I did that they were launching the 3rd version of it and I picked up an original "slim" for £100. Games of course were then dirt cheap, because I had 6 years' worth of back catalogue to explore and a load of under £10 classic games.

FWIW having both consoles, I can agree with the general opinion which is that Xbox Live is better than PSN because you pay for it, the graphics are much of a muchness on both, and the PS3 is less limited and more interactive with streaming and suchlike (and of course has BluRay rather than *cough* HD-DVD, not that I've ever used either).

i ordered one off amazon a few days after release and got it delivered next day...

Same here.

Prefer it to my xbox, which only gets used by the nipper.

I'm pretty much exclusively on PC now. Justifiable given the extra benefits; software massively cheap due to digital distribution. Very rare that I spend £20+ on a game, more like £4-£10. So cheaper, and tons better. The only prob is the up-front cost.

It does make me laugh. Both MS and Sony gave it large about their respective machines' HD capability. Sony, famously, said that the HD era wouldn't begin until the PS3 launched, as it was the only console that would do 1080p. Load of nonsense really. Very few games of any serious graphical grunt were released for the PS3 in 1080p, and in many cases, PS3 owners got jipped on multi-format games. Skyrim is infamously unplayable after 25 or so hours on the PS3, and quite a few games are actually running in a much lower res upscaled to fit the HD screen, but weren't even 720p.

For the record, I think the PS3 is a fine console; definitely the most transparent in terms of pricing. Sony fluffed it because they believed their own press, and after the wipeout they delivered with the PS2, who could blame them? They were late to market and a little bit arrogant. They assumed that the public would wait (and pay!) and that devs would join in lockstep to their new platform architecture. Neither happened, and they've been playing catch-up in the EU and US ever since. The UK is a special case. We still really love our Playstation, as do Japan. Sony is behind MS in most other territories.

Edited by pap

I'm late to the party, but Skyrim ps3 was patched ages ago, and works fine now, Ok a lot better.

Yeah, they never managed to get it 100% on PS3, sadly. It is not quite the chugfest it used to be though. I gave my copy to my brother and got the PC version.