• Ramirez
    • Cork
    • Guly
    • Puncheon
    • Lambert
    • Rodriguez
    • Ward-Prowse
    • De Ridder

I thought we were very good. Guly actually looked like a prem player to me, his strength on the ball really made a difference. Ramirez was very creative and he just loves to get the ball. Same for Puncheon who would be worth more than GR if he could shoot. Lambert played well too, I thought. Luke Shaw was equal to the Arsenal players he had to stop. I thought Davis would be the weak link, but he was okay too.

NA has to be congratulated for the way we play, I thought the subs coming on fitted right in very quickly and seemed to be keen to keep up the momentum.

I hope Boruc improves, he was woeful at the start, making more serious errors than I have seen from either Gazza or KD in one match. I was terrified of seeing him properly tested all match, but luckily he never really was. People say he was better second half, but I thought he was actually lucky that our defence shielded him so well and that Arsenal had no end product today.

Right now I have no clue as to who is our best option in goal, does anyone? It's Boruc's turn to get a run of games though.

On the basis of this performance alone, this was another 2 home points dropped. I dont see the relevance of who we were playing, the opposition were worse than us today, so we should have grasped the opportunity.

But great how the defence has improved. Worried about it being unravelled by a bid for Shaw though.

Aside from what everyone else had said about this post, we scored two. We won the game. The ref, however, had a different opinion on the perfectly good disallowed goal.

Player ratings anyone?

Boruc - 6 Looked like a Jellyfish for the first 10 minutes but has only played twice in about a year I think. Looked far more assured second half. No blame for the goal.

Cork - 8 Don't get why people were worried about him at RB. He is the very definition of versatile and reliable.

Fonte - 8 Defended very well.

Yoshi - 9 MOTM excellent all round. Good in the air, good on the deck, reads the game, knows when to stick 50 yards on it.

Shaw - 9 Well if Arsene wasn't interested before....

Morgan - 8 A real engine in midfield

Davis - 8 Worked his socks off.

Puncheon - 8 A bag of tricks, always running at them.

Gaston - 7 Infruriating at times but took his goal well. There second was a class finish, not convinced it was a foul.

Guly - 7 A decent performance. Can't really fault him for the goal, maybe he should have been better positioned to defend that ball.

Lambert - 7 Didn't have a lot of luck but certainly put himself about. Arsenal had trouble all evening against him in the air.

JWP - 7 Came on and had plenty of energy

De Ridder - 7 Put in at least one decent cross and put some much needed pressure on their defence with fresh pace. Took a booking for the team.

JRod - 7 Good running, not as effective as Lambert tonight but a decent effort.

By far our best defensive performance of the season. Excellent tactics, effort and concentration. Attacking play was a bit hit and miss I thought but enough good football to have won the game really. Just seen the post-match stats - Saints attempts 7 On Target 4. Arsenal attempts 4 On Target 1. Today gives me confidence that we can get points from all of our home games, and the last two aways shows that we're capable of getting something at all but the top six or seven clubs. Need to turn some of these draws into wins though. The next league game at Villa is MASSIVE!!

Superb today, we have improved massively as a team since a few months ago. The back four were outstanding, Yoshida and Fonte look a really solid partnership now and Fontes confidence has visibly improved. Davis was good today as well

Credit to Adkins and the coaches as the work they've done in getting the players up to this standard shouldn't be underestimated

Do think we need some quality in a few positions as if we lose a few we'll be struggling

Even if we do go down if we can keep the core of this team together we'd walk the champs and come back stronger much like West Brom did

Genuinely thought we were going to get mullered today, so I sat down to watch proceedings with a due sense of dread, especially after witnessing the horrors of the reverse fixture earlier in the season. I was rewarded with an excellent performance. While it is a shame not to get all three points, this is a team that beat us 6-1 at their place and scored 7 goals in their last game.

Excellent to be out of the bottom three, but perhaps more satisfying is the development of the team over the season. It's Roy of the Rovers exciting to see Luke Shaw and Ward-Prowse making appearances in the first team. Thought Guly was excellent today, own goal and all. He put in exactly the sort of performance that people say he is incapable of. Puncheon is really starting to impress now. Looks good on the ball and seems to relish beating his man. Better than Lallana for me this season.

This will give the boys a lot of confidence. We really had to work hard for that point, but we managed to hold our own against a team that spanked us last time we played them.

This also. 100%

He has been poor in a couple of games but when he is on it he can change the game. I really felt like that was a second goal for him.

True, but the lad is only human, and a young one at that.

He's bound to have odd days, especially in a new league and country.

I think there's still plenty to come from the guy, which is pretty exciting.

Exactly my thoughts

Showing real battling qualities which you need to stay up. I went to Fulham away and thought we showed good determination away against a solid team. Actually outplayed Arsenal today and I'm dead chuffed that Adkins has turned things around. TBH I thought it looked beyond him after ten games but it looks to me like he has learnt and adapted (and from interviews he wasn't afraid to ask the players what they thought so fair play for that.) I do wish we wouldn't go all defensive in the last ten minutes though as that makes things very nervy but it worked this time so no problem.

True, but the lad is only human, and a young one at that.

He's bound to have odd days, especially in a new league and country.

I think there's still plenty to come from the guy, which is pretty exciting.

I totally agree. Just saying it is right to point out when he has a poor game just as when he has a good one. I thought guly was good today as was Puncheon too but the defenders deserved the most credit IMO.

Personally, I understand the subs and why they were made Jrod to offer some pace off the line where lambert was too tired. With JWP, arsenal had just brought on ramsey to help pack that midfield a bit more and cover more ground - JWP was the right option to counter this move. And De Ridder played well against sunderland, and did well today in the short space of time he was on... Really can ghost past players!

I'll join everyone else in saying the back 4 were excellent, massive shout out to s.davis who had his best game in a saints shirt so far! Puncheon was frustrating, good in spells but has a habbit of dallying too long on the ball and running down blind alleys. Should have done better with his chances infront of goal.

On to the next one now though! COYR

I totally agree. Just saying it is right to point out when he has a poor game just as when he has a good one. I thought guly was good today as was Puncheon too but the defenders deserved the most credit IMO.

That's fair.

Some on here have been saying he isn't up to it and a waste of money, which is a different story.

Great point and great performance. Can't really have any moans after that.

It's refreshing to have someone capable of taking decent corners, lots of pace and whip on them and into dangerous areas. Gotta feel sorry for Guly, he looked absolutely gutted when he went off.

Watched it in the sportsman in shinfield rd reading . We played very well . I notice sky were on about shaw after the game . My man of the match was puncheon . Well done saints I thought we were going to win but see the miserable Frenchman at the end of the game said it all. When get your team is ****

Aside from what everyone else had said about this post, we scored two. We won the game. The ref, however, had a different opinion on the perfectly good disallowed goal.

It was disallowed for a little nudge on the defender as the ball came in. It was only a little one but we'd have been disappointed if it hadn't been called at the other end.

On the basis of this performance alone, this was another 2 home points dropped. I dont see the relevance of who we were playing, the opposition were worse than us today, so we should have grasped the opportunity.

But great how the defence has improved. Worried about it being unravelled by a bid for Shaw though.

You really are a complete idiot, I swear you just come on to write inflammatory boll@cks.

Sometimes I can put your reactions to bed as you must just listen to dopey Dave but I assume you have watched today, and still come out with such crap.

Is there any coincedence in the addition of Guly in AL's role to our two improved performances post the Sunderland game? We really don't have any other options in that position and playing Guly might save us 4-5million in having to get a decent cover for the next two months or so. Tracked back really nicely a few times and can take a wicked corner and one day a turning shot of his will find the top corner. I may be completely wide of the mark, like him at Stoke...but I think it's giving us a better structure. In saying that hurry up AL!

This is getting like a stuck record, would have taken a point but we should and could easily have won. Good performance, especially having played extra game, apart from the free kick Theo didn't get a sniff, we completely stifled them and outplayed for long periods. Yoshi and Fonte were great, Cork very good. Guly played really well, somehow we have to buy him a goal at the right end, you could see how much it was hurting him at the end.

This sums up my thoughts, so I'll just quote you and say I agree!

The only thing I'll add is I think Shaw was superb tonight, a MoM performance considering who he had to deal with. I also thought Guly was excellent and gave Shaw the protection he needed, as well as good movement up front.

A very good point that only the most moronic Southampton-watcher would be disappointed with, even though we had good chances to win.

It was disallowed for a little nudge on the defender as the ball came in. It was only a little one but we'd have been disappointed if it hadn't been called at the other end.

I just can't agree that the goal would have been disallowed more often than not, but that is, of course debatable. My main point was that Alpine was being a twot in thinking that we never did enough to win. ;)

excellent line-up from the start. Aside from his first few fumbles, Boruc looked calm and safe. Difficult to give just one MOM , Sky gave it ti Jack Cork.....but wasn't Yoshida great, too?

Shaw gave as good as he got with the battle with Alex.and Guly very unfortunate o.g........in what was otherwise a good performance from him.

Wenger given the easiest point he'll get all season ...without deserving it.

Now for Chelsea...with no worries about losing points..... we 'll give them a good game if we can play like that again.

Watched it in the sportsman in shinfield rd reading . We played very well . I notice sky were on about shaw after the game . My man of the match was puncheon . Well done saints I thought we were going to win but see the miserable Frenchman at the end of the game said it all. When get your team is ****

Now that is a strange pub. Saw a right couple of mongs having fags outside at lunchtime today when driving past. Kind of redefined the term inbreds. I could be rude about Whitley but I won't because in the past it's been very good to me! FWIW thought we were good all round. Agree with those who have hinted a mid-table solidity rather than relegation haunted. Team/squad is learning the lessons of the early season reversals.

You don't see the relevance of who we were playing? Funny that is the exact opposite of your usual take on matches when team A (Saints) take on team B who are deemed worse than Saints.

What's the difference today my friend?

In all a decent result and a shame we didn't get anything more than a draw considering saints restricted Arsenal quite a bit.

Sheer brilliance from Saints today and bar the bringing of that w*n ker De Ridder a tremendous game from Nigel. Boruc had me nervous at the start with his deliberate attempt at being the comedian that he s. Great to finally see Prowsey getting on and shame he wasn't included earlier. A great player who needs to play every game. Very proud today, we deserved to win

I think it's much too early to tell. We have clearly bought some of these players as works in progress with the potential for them to be great in the future.

True, I much prefer it that way to that of reading/QPR.

Even without additions, this team will only get better.

That said, a few reinforcements would be very welcome.

bar the bringing of that w*n ker De Ridder a tremendous game from Nigel.

If ever there was proof of people holding grudges this is it. Even in the dark days of Jermaine Wright I don't remember anyone saying THAT about one of our players.

FAO J Rod;

You can't vote for yourself as man of the match ... ;)

More worried about the vote for Boruc. Surely Artur has got better things to do after a match.

Now that is a strange pub. Saw a right couple of mongs having fags outside at lunchtime today when driving past. Kind of redefined the term inbreds. I could be rude about Whitley but I won't because in the past it's been very good to me! FWIW thought we were good all round. Agree with those who have hinted a mid-table solidity rather than relegation haunted. Team/squad is learning the lessons of the early season reversals.

There are some decent pubs in and around Reading, can't say I have been in The Sportsman in the last 15 years though!

Guly was my motm, worked his socks off and solid on the ball. Shame the OG is credited to him as it's another stick to beat him with for those who seem to get off on doing that.

Solid team performance, grew into the game and bossed it for large periods. Deserved 3 points from that today.

Guly was my motm, worked his socks off and solid on the ball. Shame the OG is credited to him as it's another stick to beat him with for those who seem to get off on doing that.

Solid team performance, grew into the game and bossed it for large periods. Deserved 3 points from that today.

I was really please to see him play so well tonight. Hope some of the dimwits get off his back now.

ps, for the first time, I am going to put a poster on ignore, no names. How do I do that?

Some great performances mentioned above - Morgan, Yoshida, Cork but I also thought Steve Davis had his best game for us he was buzzing around everywhere breaking up play

passing it to our players always available.

Morgan and Davis were tremendous pairing and I was worried it was a mistake moving out Cork so well done Nige.