Prospective Italian signings?

Barry Sanchez

Does this once and for all confirm Nicola Cortese is buying the players and not Adkins? I think it gives a good indication of exactly where he is in the clubs heirachy, tea boy and washing up lady.

Everyone has known that a transfer committee purchases the players, not soley Adkins or Cortese.

Will let you off because you are new to the board.

There is also this thread:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?42214-Raiding-Italy

Mods - please lock.

Does this once and for all confirm Nicola Cortese is buying the players and not Adkins? I think it gives a good indication of exactly where he is in the clubs heirachy, tea boy and washing up lady.

Its a reasonable question. I just wonder if NA has heard of half of them before the "Committee Meeting"

Pretty sure all Chairmen do this, manager identifies problem areas and targets, Chairmen does the actual deals.

Of course you could always make a......

attachment.php?attachmentid=56028&d=1357556002

out of a ...............

attachment.php?attachmentid=56029&d=1357556021

'Chief Executive uses extensive contacts within in Italian game to further best-interest of their club - SHOCKER' P-lease!!!!!!!!!!

This is fair enough. But I would have expected the initial impetus for the enquiry for a player to come from the person who has to train him, fit him in to the team play and make it work, basically. and for the chairman simply to make his wish come true.

These persistent Italian rumours make it sound like NC is choosing the targets and giving the job to NA to make it work. And look how well that has functioned so far...

This is fair enough. But I would have expected the initial impetus for the enquiry for a player to come from the person who has to train him, fit him in to the team play and make it work, basically. and for the chairman simply to make his wish come true.

These persistent Italian rumours make it sound like NC is choosing the targets and giving the job to NA to make it work. And look how well that has functioned so far...

Listen to any interview with a Manager - the Chairmen/Chief Execs do the deals, make the calls etc based on a list defined by the Recruitment Team/Manager for positions that are needed.

No hint that this hasn't happened here.

Listen to any interview with a Manager - the Chairmen/Chief Execs do the deals, make the calls etc based on a list defined by the Recruitment Team/Manager for positions that are needed.

No hint that this hasn't happened here.

What so you reckon NA tracks Italian football that closely, do you ?

I think I have an idea about why we've been struggling so far this season, then...

I think I have an idea about why we've been struggling so far this season, then...

I didn't say that? I said the Manager and Recruitment Team would have a meeting and review players we have scouted based on the positions we need players.

NA would then of course watch those players - as he commented recently on Astori, he is aware of him and knows he is a very good centre half. Its the Scouting teams job to bring those players to NA's attention.

Nothing odd in that.

if he had done that he might know that Benatia from Udinese is probably as good or better than Astori. AC Milan are looking at him as well. Then again ACM are their Chelsea, always rumoured to be looking at anyone with a pair of boots. Benetia was at Clemont for a while, way below his level but he was good, really good.

I didn't say that? I said the Manager and Recruitment Team would have a meeting and review players we have scouted based on the positions we need players.

NA would then of course watch those players - as he commented recently on Astori, he is aware of him and knows he is a very good centre half. Its the Scouting teams job to bring those players to NA's attention.

Nothing odd in that.

So you really think having an Italian chairman and being utterly focused on the Italian league for transfer activity is PURE coincidence, do you ?

if he had done that he might know that Benatia from Udinese is probably as good or better than Astori. AC Milan are looking at him as well. Then again ACM are their Chelsea, always rumoured to be looking at anyone with a pair of boots. Benetia was at Clemont for a while, way below his level but he was good, really good.

Right, so the inference here is our transfer activity may not be just focused on Italy, it may be focused on who Cortese knows..

I have to say, that is a very Central European way of doing business. It fits.

Well I'm glad you said this rather than me, because some of us on here get a load of Flak for saying things like this while others get away with it :rolleyes:

I'd love to know who is on this transfer committee - I'm guessing Don Cortese, Les Reed, and some shadowy Italian agent. I dare say Nigel Adkins is somewhere on their 'CC' list.

So you really think having an Italian chairman and being utterly focused on the Italian league for transfer activity is PURE coincidence, do you ?

No - as I said the other thread Barry has hijacked - clearly Cortese is using Italy because its easier for him to negotiate tough deals, and because the economic situation means players are available - but there is nothing wrong with that, just using an advantage you have.

What is wrong is that just because they are Italian based players the Recruitment team or Adkins suddently aren't aware of them, or the players arent good enough. I'm sure NA is well aware of these players and the Recruitment team will have followed them for months to high levels of detail.

Well I'm glad you said this rather than me, because some of us on here get a load of Flak for saying things like this while others get away with it :rolleyes:

I'd love to know who is on this transfer committee - I'm guessing Don Cortese, Les Reed, and some shadowy Italian agent. I dare say Nigel Adkins is somewhere on their 'CC' list.

Recruitment team is Les Reed, Cortese, Adkins, Paul Mitchell and his team.

Obviously not, which is why the transfer committee works. He does not need to be an expert on who is doing well for Bologna, or Cagliari, or any other european teams? Thats what the scouting network is for. So much fuss has been made of Graham Carr's influence on Newcastle, bringing in Cisse, Tiote , Carbaye and Santon. No one seemed to be saying how awful it is that Pardew has no say in transfers and that these are all Ashleys signings.

Still, if it makes you happy to slate the fact we are buying such quality, you fill your boots. I cannot imagine a scenario where you are actually happy supporting saints.

Or maybe it has to do with the general state of finances if Italian football that make decent players available and potentially allows us as a small club to sign players traditonally out of reach.

I've heard stories of financial troubles at Inter, AC Milan, Cagliari, Bologna. This article - http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2012/04/whats-the-trouble-with-serie-a/ would incidicate that it's many more.

Those clubs listed though involve our transfer targets, so to me it is just taking advantage of opportunities.

http://www.givemefootball.com/european-news/serie-a-on-the-slide-

Edited by tajjuk

'utterly focussed'? Do you want to google the meaning of utterly yourself or would you like someone to do it for you? All of our signings are Italian are they? Come on - how about trying to be a bit balanced once in while. As for questioning the Chairmans Italian knowledge - I seem to remember one of the Milan teams being pretty keen on having him join their board not too long ago - so someone rates him even if you don't.

I like a nice simplistic arguement as much as the next bloke but two completely blinkered points of you being incessantly peddled by people who have no interest in considering that there may be an alternative point of view that is similarly valid is amusing....... Cortese might indeed have a significant role in bringing names to the table - so what, who cares. I have not heard a single creadible whisper to suggest that Nigel is unhappy with the support or assistance he is receiving and call me boring, but that to me is the important thing. I presume you want him to be spending his time watching every game played all over the world, picking his own targets, doing his own calls, negotiating on his own and managing the 1st team in between all of this? Have you considered that he might be very happy with the setup?

Obviously not, which is why the transfer committee works. He does not need to be an expert on who is doing well for Bologna, or Cagliari, or any other european teams? Thats what the scouting network is for. So much fuss has been made of Graham Carr's influence on Newcastle, bringing in Cisse, Tiote , Carbaye and Santon. No one seemed to be saying how awful it is that Pardew has no say in transfers and that these are all Ashleys signings.

Still, if it makes you happy to slate the fact we are buying such quality, you fill your boots. I cannot imagine a scenario where you are actually happy supporting saints.

Gaston and Mayuka havent exactly set the league alight, so I think my skepticism is understandable.

The committee is a load of b*ll*cks. NA should pick the targets, since he has to work with them and fit them in. NC should close the deals to get the best terms possible for the financial state of the club. And thats it. I find the notion of Reed sticking his oar in and NC having some input on the players quality and ability to fit in somewhat bizarre.

Think it's pretty straight forward really. Adkins identifies positions that need strengthening and it's then up to the recruitment team to identify players. We're looking in Italy because players are getting paid **** all there (relative to premier league players) bar a few of the very best (sneidjer etc)

Do you clowns realise we have a whole network of scouts who watch players and report back to the committee?

Yes Italy is somewhere we are active but not the only place.

Cortese is not hand picking targets FFS

Does Nicola know this as he is doing a lot of graft................................

Gaston and Mayuka havent exactly set the league alight, so I think my skepticism is understandable.

The committee is a load of b*ll*cks. NA should pick the targets, since he has to work with them and fit them in. NC should close the deals to get the best terms possible for the financial state of the club. And thats it. I find the notion of Reed sticking his oar in and NC having some input on the players quality and ability to fit in somewhat bizarre.

You will be disappointed then because thats how all Prem teams operate transfers now.

Great. So we would be back to the signings before the committee. N'Guesson anyone? At least he is the managers pick!

The most important thing here is that whoever is bought, the decision to play him must be down to the manager. That is clearly the case as is proven with Mayuka. Although of course Mayuka could not be NC's signing as we did not get him from Italy!

Daniel sturridge or Ramirez....

I can't understand how the potential signings of this brazilian lad and Astori are bad for the club. both are class players in positions we need to strengthen. why moan at a chairman who uses his knowledge and experience to further the club. You would prefer that he did nothing perhaps? At the end of the day. Our scouting network identifies players, we clearly have a presence in italia.... they are good players.... chairman has contacts.... we use contacts to sign these good players..... SHOCKER!

Have you not been to a single game Gaston's played yet or something? That's a mental statement, he's come straight in and looks (by a distance) our best player.

I had dinner with a Saints player at the weekend (friend of the family), he was praising our scouting network across Europe, Nth Africa and the US(?). Also said Gaston is by a mile our best player, however only player that can read him is Lallana, him being out (for a period of time I'm not going to disclose but the Echo aren't far off with) is a problem.

Oh, also Nigel hates twitter and has told the first team to tone it down and sent a letter to the parents of Academy kids advising them to excersise caution with it.

Funnily enough he also said he rarely sees NC, Nigel is their go to person for anything at the club including contracts. Great moral at club (even after Chelsea result, although he said Mata was awesome) and confident they'll stay up.

Sorry to burst that bubble in your loony mind though fella.

Does Nicola know this as he is doing a lot of graft................................

Seriously it's not hard is it.

1. Manager Identifies target area, lets say centre-back.

2. Scouts go out to find centre-back or higlight ones they have already found.

3. List of players is assessed by transfer commitee.

4. A shortlist of 'targets' is drawn up.

5. The criteria for this will involve -

A. the perceived ability of the player,

B. the availability of the player,

C the potential interest of the player joining Southampton FC,

D the 'value' that the committee decide the player will be worth which will give a guide in negotiations.

6. An appropriate bid will be then made to the players's club.

7. NC will then handle further negotiates, along with discussions with the agent.

Currently, the italian clubs (Serie A) will come up high in the criteria for 5, because their financial status means that you will get higher A, with more B and higher C due to wages.

Essentially we are raiding financially sticken clubs for their best players. If the club's weren't in financial trouble then the player would either cost more or not be for sale and the player might not be interested in joining us. But the money troubles mean we can potentially sign a player that in usuall cricumstances would be above us and means we can move away from players like Scott Dann.

You think Adkins has got enough time on his hands to wander all over Europe watching 100s of different players in case Saints want to buy them, whilst also being in charge of the 1st team, keeping track of the reserves and youth side? We employ scouts for a reason you know. In any case your opinion is 100% conjecture, you have no idea of how much input Cortese has into the transfer process at Saints.

D the 'value' that the committee decide the player will be worth which will give a guide in negotiations.

7. NC will then handle further negotiates, along with discussions with the agent.

Currently, the italian clubs (Serie A) will come up high in the criteria for 5, because their financial status means that you will get higher A, with more B and higher C due to wages.

Essentially we are raiding financially sticken clubs for their best players. If the club's weren't in financial trouble then the player would either cost more or not be for sale and the player might not be interested in joining us. But the money troubles mean we can potentially sign a player that in usuall cricumstances would be above us and means we can move away from players like Scott Dann.

This

Yep, we should only buy players Adkins knows well. Remind me again, how have S****horpe done in the Premier League?

The committee is actually a very good idea. It means more than the manager has the input and everyone is agreed on the targets. It eliminates managers just signing their favourites (Ben Haim anyone?) where it falls down is if the manager is overruled when he definitely does or doesn't want a player. End of the day he is the one that has to work with them day in day out and stands or falls by their performances. Not that I'm for one minute suggesting that is the case at Saints.

The committee is actually a very good idea. It means more than the manager has the input and everyone is agreed on the targets. It eliminates managers just signing their favourites (Ben Haim anyone?) where it falls down is if the manager is overruled when he definitely does or doesn't want a player. End of the day he is the one that has to work with them day in day out and stands or falls by their performances. Not that I'm for one minute suggesting that is the case at Saints.

Plus the players often outlive the Managers at a club. If a new Manager comes in, it can be someone with the same philiosphy ie play out from the back, passing football and the players existing at the club are likely to fit more with that because they are recruited by the club not the Manager.

Quite frankly I am amazed that nobody has picked up the more important issue with all these rumours of bids for players in Italy, and that's the fact that we can only do one deal at a time so must surely only be looking at Astori as that negotiation is ongoing?!?! It's impossible for us to have bid for two more players this week as we all know!

I do have to laugh at some of the garbage that gets spouted on here about our transfer policy and approach to it. We are no different to most clubs in the world. Scouting network finds players for position manager wants to strengthen, we approach players then on basis of ability, potential availability and value, as well as doing the whole host of other research the club does into character etc before bidding. Is it really that difficult to understand?? It beggars belief that some would think we haven't got a system even fit to run a Sunday league team.

This explains how he used his knowledge to purchase Guly..........................

Guly at the level he was signed whilst we were in League 1 was a fantastic player, in the Championship he brought a lot to the team and contributed well, this season although he has yet to score has also contributed well to the side, so to slate NC on signing Guly is nothing short of stupid. We were never going get 'world beaters' whilst playing at that level!

Quite frankly I am amazed that nobody has picked up the more important issue with all these rumours of bids for players in Italy, and that's the fact that we can only do one deal at a time so must surely only be looking at Astori as that negotiation is ongoing?!?! It's impossible for us to have bid for two more players this week as we all know!

I do have to laugh at some of the garbage that gets spouted on here about our transfer policy and approach to it. We are no different to most clubs in the world. Scouting network finds players for position manager wants to strengthen, we approach players then on basis of ability, potential availability and value, as well as doing the whole host of other research the club does into character etc before bidding. Is it really that difficult to understand?? It beggars belief that some would think we haven't got a system even fit to run a Sunday league team.

You can guarentee that if we dont sign a winger/left back/goal keeper it'll be blamed on us messing around for too long with the Astori negotiations.

Its a shame that Barry feels the need to troll like this when there is clearly another thread setup about our transfer dealings in Italy.

I support this motion to ban Trolls:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?42242-Time-to-do-the-right-thing-mods

Bye bye Barry.

I just wonder what points he can make on this thread that would be inappropriate on the other thread you mention. Perhaps Barry can explain it to us. Otherwise we shall just have to conclude that his ego got the better of him and he wanted to stand up and shout "hey, look at me!"

a fairly straight forward and easy to understand assessment tajjuk couldn't have phrased it better myself....but why .is it so difficult for people to understand.

Some people seem to think that the manager should be the sole source of all signings and should walk arounfd with the cheque book in his pocket.

Transfers these days ...are a minefield of; salaries, payments, agent fees, loyalty fees, bonuses and sell-on clauses. IF ANYONE knows the Italian market, it is surely him, and he makes offers they can't refuse.

He (Cortese) is the person best placed to know these things......given his job CV before the takeover.....he surely knows more about such things than anyone else...certainly more than NA.