What band is the best live?

Tom8558

Hmmm...

Primal Scream, Underworld, Chemical Brothers all consistently great.

BUT, best performance ever for me has probably been Flaming Lips at Bestival 2010 (?). Wasn't expecting much but the show was amazingly infectious.

Honourable mentions to PJ Harvey (spellbinding), LCD Soundsystem (only saw them once to my huge regret) and PiL.

I'm 41 btw and have been going to see bands since I was 16.

One Direction is amazing live! It's amazing how they decide which one is gonna wear suit jacket and which one is gonna wear t-shirt and which one is gonna wear hat! They is amazing! Also I don't know how they remember all the words but you hardly ever hear them get the words wrong!

Carter USM were, at their peak, easily the greatest live show on the planet. Dont just take my word for it - they won NME 'beat live band' three years in a row (this during the height of Nirvana et Al).

I am always blown away by the power the Rolling Stones manage to get out to huge venues. The Prague going a few years ago was the beat - Awesome is the much overused but correct word.

Frank Turner has probably the crowds of any currently gigging musician - similar to Mumfords but with less band-wagon jumping ****3rs in the pit. Always an inspiring night out.

QOTSA are always amazing live, but I prefer Eagles of Death Metal for the comedy.

The best gigs I have ever been too include; Spiritualized, LCD Soundsystem, Blur at both ends of their career (reading 92 and Hyde park 2010), Jonathan Richman in new York was emotional, liberteens in Oxford was proper mental, the Pogues at some festival years ago in a tent with everyone dancing. The Buzzcocks at the wedgewood rooms in the early 90s (or anywhere at anytime in their career to be fair - possibly a contender). Gogol bordello are brilliant to watch, as was Manu Chao with the band. Patrick Wolf is a delight live. Yeah, so many more...

Best live band you have never heard of? Klezma Vilainova. Oh yes.

I hate watching Muse live. I like the boys, I should like the music, but overall it just comes across like Radiohead directed by Peter Jackson. I understand why that appeals, but not to me, frankly I think it is fake and sh!te. Why they have to headline every other bloody festival for the last ten years is beyond me.

1960s : Bob Dylan UK tours 1965/66 and then Jimi Hendrix Exp

1970s : The Who and Led Zep

1980s : Queen and Dire Straits

1990s : Oasis, Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chilli Peppers

2000 onwards : Bruce Springsteen & E Street Band

Pearl Jam... How could I could forget them... They are brilliant live. Metallica also as other have said.

Aphex Twin in around '95/96 was completely mental

Blur, Chemical Brothers, Metallica, Daft Punk and Orbital get a special mention.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Rodrigo y Gabriela and Above & Beyond.

I also remember a young copper I worked with thoroughly enjoying policing a Girls Aloud gig about 8 years ago. He was apparently asked by Nadine Coyle to retrieve a pair of her knickers that someone had thrown up on some scaffolding backstage.

One Direction is amazing live! It's amazing how they decide which one is gonna wear suit jacket and which one is gonna wear t-shirt and which one is gonna wear hat! They is amazing! Also I don't know how they remember all the words but you hardly ever hear them get the words wrong!

My 13 year old daughter likes the fellows. She has large posters of all of them in her room. We alternate playlists on the school run. Hers drive me mental. Another fave of hers is Taylor Swift. All her songs are either about having a boyfriend or not having a boyfriend.

I think she is rebelling against her embarrassment of an ageing rocker dad, and is purposefully listening to sh!te tunes to smite me.

A lot of it depends on venue. Ive seem Maiden and Metallica a few times and they would top my list of bands to see every time, Machine Head are also bloody superb live, no big props or fancy stuff. just four blokes going at it 100%. As great as these bands are the Quireboys at the Brook last year were just awesome.

Bewitched at Power in The park 1996.

FACT

Remember that.

Remember at one of the power in the parks. Mike flowers, pops doing a cover of wonderwall.... Had about 25k people giving him the Nescafé handshake gesture

Boyzone were in stage and the music track they were miming too got stuck and started to jump lol

Oh, crazy times

Remember that.

Remember at one of the power in the parks. Mike flowers, pops doing a cover of wonderwall.... Had about 25k people giving him the Nescafé handshake gesture

Boyzone were in stage and the music track they were miming too got stuck and started to jump lol

Oh, crazy times

Much to my shame I was at that one too!

Springsteen

Springsteen

Springsteen

Then

In no particular order

Bryan Adams

Muse

Madness

BUT possibly the MOST astonishing concert (night AND day was)

World Classic Rockers

Yeah really - you're all going WHO?

Go google - had a freebie ticket - band was made up of old farts who used to play in Stadium Rock bands of the 80's. Their "Thing" all being retired was to find somewhere they wanted to play golf, find a promoter who would pay for it, turn up and have a proper after party. They played some AWESOME stuff - Fergie Fredricks Lead singer of Toto, Denny Laine of Wings & Moody Blues, then the band was made up of Nick st Nicholas of Steppenwolf, guys from Foreigner Boston & Voyager.

So basically whoever was (is) in the band line up for that particular show they simply play their greatest hits. It was gob smacking to hear so many Anthems live.

Their Dubai gig was the week between Jamiroqui & Elton John so the stadium had about 1000 people instead of the usual 8,000. They did not care they gave it everything. Then afterwards they simply came to the Irish Village next door, wandered around the tables asking if anyone had been at the gig and said "We're having an after party" About 100 of us turned up with the band pouring the drinks and chatting.

About 2am a bus arrived and we legged it back to their hotel to a bar where a Filipina was singing with a pianist. Fergie walks up tells her he wants to duet - eventually they agree and off they go into Roseanna. Halfway through the 1st verse it hots her who she is singing with. I SWEAR she orgasmed right there and then...

The lads took over a guitar and piano and jammed through until 9am. At some point I got on stage and sung Smoke on the Water (with Fergie) with Denny on Piano & Nick on Guitar.

No, the wife did not believe me, but enough of my mates were there for it. My screaming was horrid but my buddy had his "once in a lifetime moment" singing Born to be Wild.

So no, nobody is going to drive 200 miles to see them or fight their way through Seetickets, but Wow

Maybe they'll pop up near some of our US based Saints

http://www.wcr.com/page.cfm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Classic_Rockers

Oh

Howard Jones Unplugged

He did a recent mini tour of global hot spots. Our local pub over here, Frome Town Hall and stuff like that :rolleyes:

Just him and a Guitarist and enough songs for about an hour long set.

Suddenly realised what good songs those 80's hits of his were under the silly hair and over production. It really was a great evening of music.

We lived on the Isle of Wight when I was a nipper and mum and dad took my sister and me to the famous 1970 pop festival. None of us were really interested in music; we just wanted to experience the enormous crowds; estimates vary but some accounts put the numbers at up to 700,000.

Anyway, we were picking our way through the seething mass of humanity sprawled out over the hillside above the arena when my mum said to me, ‘son, whatever you do, don’t look down’. Of course, I immediately looked down and there, more or less at my feet, was a naked couple going at it like a couple of steam hammers. It was quite a sight for a young chap! At the time, Tiny Tim was on stage performing ‘Tiptoe Through The Tulips’.

Whenever I hear that song, which actually isn’t that often, I’m instantly transported back to that steamy summer’s afternoon. But it’s a real bummer, considering the acts that performed at that festival – Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, The Who et al – that my one abiding memory is of bloody Tiny Tim :blush:

Status Quo 1979 Gaumont (my first gig)

Whitesnake 1983 Gaumont (a one off gig as a warm-up for donington)

AC/DC 1984 Donington (was an awesome line up including Van Halen, Gary Moore, Ozzy)

Lynyrd Skynyrd 2012 Shepherds Bush Empire (worth it just to experience Freebird live)

The Cramps at Reading in 1992(3?) were incredible. Thunderstorm kicking off, Ivy with her belly dancing combo on, and they go do Surfin' Bird.

EDIT : It was 1990 and they were supported by Faith no More. F**k me time flies. What a night that was.

Edited by alpine_saint

Seem many different genres of music from Luther to Shakin Stevens and Kenny G to Slade and enjoyed most .

My top gig has to be Saxon and Judas Priest in 1979 In Dortmund. The loudest and most energy I have seen on a stage..

This is closely followed by Queen and Yes in Berlin 1987 and Iron Maiden in Ipswich 1982. Oh and Reading 81.

Muse are coming to town in March and whilst, not really a fan, would like to see them live before I die.

Did anyone ever catch Acid Jazz's Corduroy live in the late 90's? Complete cheesefest, but silly fun. I never used to go to many gigs but for some reason, watched them about five times in the space of a year. Then they ****ed off. I can sort of see why TBF...

Well I've see the Killers twice and both times they were epic. Going again to Wembley in June.

Really enjoyed Bryan Adams live. He interacted loads with the crowd and all the songs were absolute classics.

Literally just booked tickets to see Gaslight Anthem in March so glad someone has listed them too.

Chez, where's your jumper?

Bearsy, you cannot be serious about One Direction, rock legend Ollie Murs blows them out of the water.

He's got great innovative and edgy songs, a hat that makes him look like a nice sort of pikey, and on stage he is something else - his live show is heavier than on his Hit Parade discs, sometimes his backing track uses two tambourines! - he is possibly the most talented middle of the road shop dummy that the ruthless music business has ever tried to sell to 10-year-old-girls who have no imagination and pocket money burning a hole in their pockets.

The best kick-ass rock'n'roll band in the world? - still the champions after all these years - it's Fruitbat and JimBob - Carter USM.

A wall of sound, a massive moshpit of forty/fifty-somethings, bleeding ears for two days, crazy - check it out on YouTube, Brixton, Bloodsport for All.

Fave gig - Numan at Wembley from back in the day.

Amazing gig - Lloyd Cole acoustic, stunning.

Can't cut it anymore? - The Sisters, I suspect Eldritch's voice has gone, it's all smoke and long coats.

The Tubes. Gaumont 1978 and 79.

Led Zep. Southampton University 1973.

Any Peter Gabriel concert, solo or with Genesis.

Any of the 14 times I've seen James (particlarly Skate Guildhall 1993 supported by Radiohead and 2011 at Albert Hall).

Got to agree with the Tubes, I saw the 79 show at the Gaumont as well, the "what do you want from life" tour, fantastic stuff. Went to New York in august 2011 to see them on my 50th birthday, still as good now...

....but, but, but......

Sex Pistols at hammersmith apollo, about 5 years ago. Cant top that.

Got to agree with the Tubes, I saw the 79 show at the Gaumont as well, the "what do you want from life" tour, fantastic stuff. Went to New York in august 2011 to see them on my 50th birthday, still as good now...

....but, but, but......

Sex Pistols at hammersmith apollo, about 5 years ago. Cant top that.

"What do you want from life" was 78. They did 2 nights here in May 78. i went to the first (Friday). The following week, at Reading, Weybill jumped off the stage during "I was a punk before you were a punk" and broke a bone in his leg. The rest of the tour was cancelled.

79 was "Remote Control" and featured a large bank of TV's as a backdrop and a large single one on wheels which was used as a prop. When he switched channels the European Cup Final was on. Big cheer from the audience and Fee yelled out "1-0 to Nottingham". I had this at 7 to 1 at the bookies.

Saw them again a couple of years later and more recently, at The Brook,

"What do you want from life" was 78. They did 2 nights here in May 78. i went to the first (Friday). The following week, at Reading, Weybill jumped off the stage during "I was a punk before you were a punk" and broke a bone in his leg. The rest of the tour was cancelled.

79 was "Remote Control" and featured a large bank of TV's as a backdrop and a large single one on wheels which was used as a prop. When he switched channels the European Cup Final was on. Big cheer from the audience and Fee yelled out "1-0 to Nottingham". I had this at 7 to 1 at the bookies.

Saw them again a couple of years later and more recently, at The Brook,

The Tubes - wasnt that the band whose lead singer always gets his knob out ?

The best kick-ass rock'n'roll band in the world? - still the champions after all these years - it's Fruitbat and JimBob - Carter USM.

A wall of sound, a massive moshpit of forty/fifty-somethings, bleeding ears for two days, crazy - check it out on YouTube, Brixton, Bloodsport for All.

This^