Everton build up thread

Bad Wolf

There's no smoke without fire. Pretty sure we've been trying to shift him on for a while. Not that I agree with it, it's just another mental decision in the long line of mental decisions.

Pochettino will have seen the impact he made the other day, plus will want to get the fans onside. Would be astonished if he doesn't start. Next season is another question but now we have nobody to replace him.

Ultimately Cortese and Pochettino want to stay up. Lambert was Nc's first signing, Lambert always credits the Chairman's role in our rise and he is vital to our chance of staying up. Cortese knows that and so will Pochettino.

Not ITK at all' date=' just a hunch that there'll be players Adkins favoured that NC and therefore MP do not.[/quote']

It's a tricky one -and we'll soon find out the answer. But there's a case to be made that it was NA who wasn't as sold on Lambert.

It's a tricky one -and we'll soon find out the answer. But there's a case to be made that it was NA who wasn't as sold on Lambert.

Could be. There is no real reason suggest that NC has anything bad to say about Lambert. He knows that without Lamberts goals we probably wouldn't be where we are today.

How many do we play at the back now then? Always thought it was 4 myself. You learn something every day.

Typo, meant to say 3 at the back. The idea is to commit two defenders into the middle in possession so we can have bodies in the middle and weight up front. ****ing difficult to do though and you get shafted down the flanks if you get it wrong, hence why not many teams do it.

Lambert is a good player, but hasn't fitted our style since we decided that a 4231 was a good idea for not getting mashed up in the middle of the park. Because he's a good player, Adkins has been frantically been moving players around just to fit him in. It's easy to forget that some of these systems didn't work that well or employed certain players in unfamiliar or unsuitable roles. I'll make it absolutely clear that I don't blame Adkins for this, it was his job after all. It doesn't take a genius to realise that he doesn't really fit. It's a shame as he's a talented, popular and influential player. ~We may have tried to move him on in the summer, but it didn't happen and freezing out a player like Lambert is too much to ask of the manager given his undoubted talent.

Typo, meant to say 3 at the back. The idea is to commit two defenders into the middle in possession so we can have bodies in the middle and weight up front. ****ing difficult to do though and you get shafted down the flanks if you get it wrong, hence why not many teams do it.

Lambert is a good player, but hasn't fitted our style since we decided that a 4231 was a good idea for not getting mashed up in the middle of the park. Because he's a good player, Adkins has been frantically been moving players around just to fit him in. It's easy to forget that some of these systems didn't work that well or employed certain players in unfamiliar or unsuitable roles. I'll make it absolutely clear that I don't blame Adkins for this, it was his job after all. It doesn't take a genius to realise that he doesn't really fit. It's a shame as he's a talented, popular and influential player. ~We may have tried to move him on in the summer, but it didn't happen and freezing out a player like Lambert is too much to ask of the manager given his undoubted talent.

Pretty sure MP teams normally play 4-2-3-1 from all the reports?

IMO Lambert is fine in this when Ramirez is central in the 3 just behind because he is energetic enough to run in behind. If the 10 player is more of a Silva type, or AL for example then he isn't so useful as the attack lacks any kind of pace or explosive movement.

To suggest any player does not fit a certain formation is nonsense.. especially lambert who is a class above anyone else in the current squad. Portuchino ( or whatever his name is) needs to bring in some special additions before we can consider leaving Lambert out.

The 11 put out for the 1st half against Chelsea highlighted that perfectly, in fact, I can't think of any game this season where we have looked a team with Lambert on the bench.

This was not going to be an easy game even if Adkins was managing the team. From reports we appear to have a good Manager who may well take us to the next level but for now he knows very little of the Premier League, the teams, the tactics, the weaknesses and strengths. He is also disadvantaged by not having much grasp of the English language. All that will take a time.

He says he has studied our players for weeks so he should at least know our players strengths and weaknesses

If we can pick up a point I will be very satisfied. That will give us 15 games to secure 17points to reach the magic 40 points. 5 wins and 2 draws!

Survival this year by which time he should be able to communicate and have learned what the Premier League and the Teams are all about.

Really can't see us getting anything out of this game, Everton are an amazing team.

I'd be very happy with a draw, it's essentially a game in hand now as all our rivals have already played, we'll still be 15th whether we win, lose or draw this game (unless the 1,000,000/1 shot that we win by 3 goals or more comes off in which case we'll be upto 14th).

I for one am going to stand up and applaud the new manager and players, I sit in the Itchen so a rendition of 'Mauricio Pochettinos Red and White Army' will be out of the question :(

We'll still be 15th whether we win, lose or draw this game (unless the 1,000,000/1 shot that we win by 3 goals or more comes off in which case we'll be upto 14th).

Where have you got those odds? I'll have some of that! Ladbrokes for example only have a 3-0 Saints win at 33/1 and a 4-1 Saints win at 66/1.

To suggest any player does not fit a certain formation is nonsense.. especially lambert who is a class above anyone else in the current squad. Portuchino ( or whatever his name is) needs to bring in some special additions before we can consider leaving Lambert out.

The 11 put out for the 1st half against Chelsea highlighted that perfectly, in fact, I can't think of any game this season where we have looked a team with Lambert on the bench.

Despite being 2 goals down against Chelsea, we played pretty well in the first half. We worked extremey hard, passed well and Steven Davis wasted a great chance. Both goals came from us not clearing the ball properly. We could count ourselves unlucky to be 2-0 down, because we really did play like a team. We couldn't afford or attract the sort of player who does what Lambert does and frequently gets in behind players, so decisions have to be made somewhere along the line. For less than really silly money, you need to compromise. Unless of course one of our kids turns out to be an absolute beast, which we've got no guarantee of.

This was not going to be an easy game even if Adkins was managing the team. From reports we appear to have a good Manager who may well take us to the next level but for now he knows very little of the Premier League, the teams, the tactics, the weaknesses and strengths. He is also disadvantaged by not having much grasp of the English language. All that will take a time.

He says he has studied our players for weeks so he should at least know our players strengths and weaknesses

That's all well and good - what does he or his back room staff know about Everton?

Would love a happy winning start to the new regime, but Everton and Moyes will be chomping at the bit to close us down and get the fans against us.

Seeing as I'll be staying up till 2am to watch it, I hope it is worth the effort!! But hand on heart fear a thumping is coming up.

Really can't see us getting anything out of this game, Everton are an amazing team.

I'd be very happy with a draw, it's essentially a game in hand now as all our rivals have already played, we'll still be 15th whether we win, lose or draw this game (unless the 1,000,000/1 shot that we win by 3 goals or more comes off in which case we'll be upto 14th).

I for one am going to stand up and applaud the new manager and players, I sit in the Itchen so a rendition of 'Mauricio Pochettinos Red and White Army' will be out of the question :(

It's a bit short sighted to just look at the game in isolation, even if we will stay in 15th. We have to go to United and Wigan and then host City. Lose those 3 and there's every chance we could find ourselves in the bottom 3.

If we have 30,000 cigarette lighter held up....before and during the game:)....NO Fluuuucking crying some of you bed wetters.:p

Tribute to our Nigel...Like at one of those saddo pop concerts:rolleyes:

Keeps the place warm...pitch does not become frozen;)

We win 2-0 or even 3-0

We is all winners...

I will check with Helf and safety.........Alpine Saint where are you:D

If Pinochio doesn't change too much I think we have a decent chance of getting something. if he tries to implement too many new ideas using his pigeon English I expect Everton to smash us. I expect the players will be well up for it though, to win it for Nige.

Problem is if we have a bad start the atmosphere will sour.

this is bull****.

Why are we the only club in history to never benefit from 'new manager syndrome'...?

tbf new manager syndrome normally comes because a manager has been sacked because the team is doing poorly and a new manager comes in to lift spirits. Saints have been doing well since the beginning of November and Adkins was popular, so the change possibly does more harm than good. Hopefully not, but impossible to tell at this point.

tbf new manager syndrome normally comes because a manager has been sacked because the team is doing poorly and a new manager comes in to lift spirits. Saints have been doing well since the beginning of November and Adkins was popular, so the change possibly does more harm than good. Hopefully not, but impossible to tell at this point.

Yeah, fair point. As I hit the 'enter' button I suspected that I had posted my first piece of twaddle in 72 hours.... :)

Why are we the only club in history to never benefit from 'new manager syndrome'...?

Actually I was wondering the same thing will our players not have a great game in an attempt to impress the new manager and our team at their best can match any team. Also hard for Everton to prepair as they don't know what we will be set up like

As the media will quickly try to portray us as a 'crisis club' and hype up talk of a 'mutiny' amongst players/supporters towards the new manager, I suggest we give a few loud One Nigel Adkins chants just before kick off, then cheer the team on to 3 points.

As annoyed/upset as I am at Nigel's departure, I'm just gonna have to remember how much I ****ing hate Everton!

This will be one of our toughest home games of the season. Everton are a strong side physically, and in particular the combination of Baines and Pienear on their left will cause us all sorts of problems. We need Clyne to have a good game, and also whoever plays in front of him (probably puncheon) needs to help cover at every opportunity.

Defensively they are very, very strong and mobile - so we'll need to ensure we are imaginative in our attacks, as they don't give many cheap goals away. Progressive play from the flanks, and through the middle is the way to go, If we get Gaston in between the lines I think we can cause them problems.

Personally, I wouldn't bring in Forren from the start, simply because he hasn't played a competitive match since the start of December. I'd personally make 1 change - Ramirez for Davis and possibly at a push... Lambert for Rodriguez. The only reason I'm undecided on Lambert is that I feel we'll need mobility and pace to get in and around their back 4, I think Lambert will be well marshaled by Distin and Jagielka - so having someone like Rodriguez to play on the shoulder and run the channels could be more rewarding from the start.

I wouldn't muck around with Ramirez on the left, as it doesn't work. He's a number 10 and has to play in behind the front man, that's where he's influential and looks a real threat every time he plays there. Guly can play on the left and cut inside.

I fear that fans will be demanding we win this because of the unnecessary change we made, and indeed it was unnecessary, but this would have been a tough game even with NA in charge. I'm trying not to let the sacking cloud my judgement, and even though I'm not happy in the slightest about it, I'm pretty sure that this was going to be a hard game no matter what. So don't hang Mauricio out to dry if we lose this.

I'd take a draw, it would increase the gap and increase our unbeaten run. If we can somehow sneak a win though, it would be a huge bonus. We'd give ourselves a real chance then - 6 points clear + GD...and we then have breathing space going into 2 tough games against the Manchester Clubs.

Still, a defeat or a win tomorrow doesn't define the season. Still a long way to go.

Going to be like that given Devon/Cornwall's geography, you won't get much snow.

Thanks for attempting to educate us all... but you're just plain wrong. We've had a fair bit of snow thanks and we often do, just depends where in Devon you are. Places on Dartmoor for instance have been white all weekend. Stick to what you know rather than trying to be a smartass all the time.

As for the game, looking forward to seeing both left backs on show. Baines is class and will be England's permanent left back before long, Shaw could well be his replacement in the future.

I think their defence can be got at.

Jagielka is decent, Baines world class, but I think the other 2 defenders, whoever they pick are their weak spots.

Coleman will be at RB I believe. Very talented attacking full back, but I'm not sure Guly is the type of player to cause him enough problems at the back. He's still young and can be naive at defending, and this is where I think we need a little bit extra on the flanks....I hope we sort that before January is out.