Thanks and good luck Nigel

Chewy

Thanks Nigel, always wil be a saints legend in my mind.,today I don't like being a saints fan. I don't like what has been done today. It's wrong. Season ticket holder for 20+ years but right now I have had enough. It was fun with Nigel in charge. It's not fun now. Our new manager can't even speak English for ****s sake. Gutted

Had a few hours to digest the news - and am still somewhat shocked, but above all disappointed. During our sticky patch prior (WBA away being a low point) I did think to myself maybe Adkins is out of his depth. He proved me wrong. He changed things - Cork and Shaw coming into the team made a huge impact, and changed the course of the season. Hes made mistakes, but anyone would who was in the early stages of being a premier league manager. He was improving the team, the image of the club, trusting the youngsters, and a classy front man with the media. But these things will not be my lasting memory of his management of the club - instead it will be his humility and dignity. Lets not dress it up - he has been treated disgustingly. There is no excuse or logical reason for his sacking. My faith in the club has gone - and will not return until Cortese is gone. Now if the Argie beats Everton and Man Utd - wonderful; but it will not make up for what has happened. Cortese helped save the club, but he has now made a decision which may well set in motion its downfall. Mark my words, support the Argie or not - it is irrelevant, the players will not like this - we will be in bottom 3 come the end of the season. Once again, thanks Nigel Adkins, if you need a filler job for a few days / weeks I can easily find you some work in my business ( thats a genuine offer). You have been a breath of fresh air for this club - you will be dearly missed by all proper football loving fans. My season ticket has been destroyed. And I wont be renewing it. After all, money talks with Cortese - but logic is unimportant.

Thanks for everything Nigel, you leave here with your head held high and your dignity intact, it's such a pity that I can't say the same for the guy that sacked you !

I wish you well in whatever job you have in the future and assure you of a warm welcome should you return to see us again !

I was one of the ones who said, "who?" when we signed Adkins, but he has done a fantastic job. Probably the most enjoyable spell that I have had as a Saints fan and I started supporting them in 1981. Going to be gutted when he takes some other club to a better position than us. Got a feeling that in 5 years Saints will regret this decision.

I feel for Nigel, what Cortese has done is the behaviour of a coward.

Nigel is nothing but a gent. I'm sure for those of you who met him it makes the new that little header to swallow.

Last Christmas I was shopping with my mate. It was all getting a little to much down at west quay with lots of Christmas shoppers so we decided to head to the German beer tent for some well needed r&r.

It was a wet day, I remember it well. I was queuing behind a forty year old gent who was asked for ID when purchasing 2 mold wines. He produced his driving licence and that was the end of that, however I was a little upset when I wasn't asked for mine when infant I thought I looked a lot younger than him.

It was a very slippery floor however We moved to the only spot we could find. We couldn't sit as it was very busy so we found a little place in the corner where we could have a quick pint and a Christmas rolly

Hope you get to read this thread Nigel, heartfelt thanks for all you have done for our club, we simply wouldn't be here without you. Your passion was clear fr all to see and you will be (sadly) greatly missed, maybe you'll be back someday. Good luck with whatever the future holds for you.

Nigel,

The two and a half years that you have been with us have been fantastic; you've had the squad playing with energy, passion, commitment, style and of course huge success. The continuous improvement of the players has been outstanding; it shows how good a man manager and football coach that you are. This season it has been clear that you have been learning a huge amount from each match not only about the players but also about this league and yourself - the continued improvement over the last 22 league games has been clear to see across the squad and with how you have handled them; I am totally flabbergasted that the powers that be at the club cannot see that improvement and take the view that it will surely continue under your tutoring giving us the best possible chance of staying up this season (and pushing on from there in the seasons that follow); add to this if we were to fall short this season that you are clearly one of the best equipped people to drive the club to bounce back straight away.

I feel sure that you will be a massive success in the future, much to Southampton FC's loss, and I really hope that you prove the powers that to be wrong with the decision that they have made. You have clear principles about how the game should be played; please stick with them.

A massive thank you and best wishes for the future.

Don't know where to start really. Just can't find the words. :(

The bus has crashed.

The smashed up shards are scattered all around. The way I feel right now, I don't even care about our broken bus anymore. But of course, in time, that will change. I love our bus. And pretty soon, like everyone else, I'll want to start picking up the fragments, and start trying to piece it all back together again. When you grow up supporting the Club that represents your home town, the city you love, there is a passion and emotional attachment in that, which the plastic glory-hunting 'fans' will never fully understand. It is a tie that cannot be broken so easily.

You can't just jump on someone else's bus - because it might happen to be 'bigger' or more 'glamourous'.

You fully 'grokked' what Southampton Football Club is all about Nigel. You engaged with, understood, and formed a 'relationship' with our fan-base, that in my lifetime of supporting my Club, I have not experienced anything like before. This was more than a "job" to you. And you were far more than "just another manager" to (most of) us. :)

That's why it is just so hard to "draw a blue line under this, and move on".

From the moment you arrived here, with trademark ear to ear grin, you have embodied this fantastic Football Club. With your infectious enthusiasm, relentless positivity, sense of humour and fun, dignity, intelligence and passion; you have epitomised everything that we love about our Club, and led us on the most magical journey. One that will stay with us, and hold a place in our hearts forever. :)

You have been the most magnificent ambassador of Southampton Football Club. So sad that it has ended like this. Wanted you to lead us for years to come.

*Stands on table* - "Oh Captain - my Captain!". - (I know that you would understand what this means). ;)

The sad thing is, that you'll likely never even read this, and all the things we want to say to you, to thank you for all you've given us, will be no more than empty echoes in cyberspace.

It means something to us though, anyway.

A chance to put into words, and express our gratitude, and just to say how much we appreciate you, not only as a manager that has give us so many great memories, but for who you are as a person.

It's been a most enjoyable ride, Nigel. We were truly graced by your presence.

"Keep smiling" - hold your head high, and "be the best that you can be". :)

There will only ever be One Nigel Adkins, - Southampton Legend.

I always thought of the Saints as a family club and thought of Nigel as one of that family. But sad to say that feeling is now completely destroyed for me and it will never be the same again. we might at some time be a " top four " club but if it means acting in this way to achieve it then I would rather support a club that is struggling but have that warm "we are all in it together" family feeling. Nigel certainly fostered that, and I can't see anyone filling his shoes and inspiring us all in the way only he could. I am sad and disgusted at the way he has been treated, and can only wish him well for the future.

I can't bear to read all the responses. I feel so upset at what's happened to our club today. Best of luck to pochettino but I hope Nigel gets a great job and becomes a world class manager. Good luck you wonderful man (I'm quite ****ed)

I am in total shock at this decision. Nigel you have made following Saints an absolute pleasure over the past couple of years. I will always be a Saints fan, but from now on I will follow your career with interest, it won't be hard because your future is assured and you will come back to help some club achieve the magnificent results you have with us. Good luck for the future.

I too am very shocked.

I was at Wembley when we won the FA Cup so I have been supporting Saints for a very long time.

Nigel has done a fantastic job. We have seen Saints come back from the very brink and he has been a very big part of that.

We have had some fantastic times in the past couple of years = thankyou Nigel.

I always liked the way that he would not complain at the ref on the TV like many of the other managers do.

We have been very lucky to have him at our club - a superb ambassador for football who has been treated very badly.

I am not sure how I am going to feel in the future - but I currently do not feel in the slightest bit happy about my team.

Nigel may have had some tactical issues - but he has grown with the team and deserved his chance in the Premier League.

Good luck to our new manager - but what a shame we haven't still got the old one.

There aren't any obvious prem sides about to change manager which is a shame for Nigel. He's better than championship, certainly better than a declining broke blackpool so hope he doesn't end up there.

I agree.....that would be a BAD move...losing money, players being sold....

it was a shame forest job has gone as I think he would have done wonders there....maybe Leeds if warnock does not walk

I think Nigel will have a break till the summer...then maybe go to one of the top NPC clubs that fail to go up...like a leicester, where the previous "best young manager" is

one unemployed man who will have no problem getting a new job...he'll be head-hunted and linked with a dozen clubs in the next month.

His CV looks great....a young-ish manager who's had three promotions....and he will get even more sympathy efter his sudden departure.

I suspect that he might well want to take a short break..... he deserves it. He has aged visibly in the last year or so, and now he needs to clear his head and get some perspective.

Good luck Nigel. I'll be following you in your NEW club....whoever they are...(.just don't ever consider Pompey ..PLEASE !)

Thank you so much Nigel. You made our club clean again.

That clown Cortese has taken us back to the dark days and I honestly feel that relegation is what he deserves but once again it's us supporters that will suffer.

Maybe there will be good times ahead with our non-English speaking manager (can't remember his name) but right now I'm not sure I want any part of it.

As angry as I am, thought I'd rather focus on thanking NA for everything he has done for this club since taking over. After years of misery, he brought footballing success and happiness to so many of us. I wish him the best of luck and a successful career. Gutted it won't be with us.

Agree 100 %. In years to come when Nigel is at a top 4 club or the England manager NC will realise how big a mistake he made yesterday.

Nigel Adkins is a great ambassador.

Never said a bad word about anyone, showed great dignity and honesty, and always so positive and upbeat - we (the fans) will miss you.

No one has ever regularly referred to "Saints" fans as magnificent...but he did!

Nigel I thought you were maginificent - and I for one could have watched you teams with my head held high. You have put the pride back in the "Pride of the South"

Good luck - although we all know you won't need it - in your next venture - football fans everywhere will watch with interest!

Thank you Nigel . After nearly going out of business and the spirit of Southampton disappearing forever . You brought passion, honesty and above all resurrected the spirit and self belief bact to the players the team the fans and to Southampton . I know you will be disappointed that you have had to step of the bus I'm saddened but I know that wherever you go next . You will be major success with your new club the fans etc and I still predict you will become the England manager . I hope you do because I will then support England again . Lastly I know that you would not want the few fickle fans to boycott the match or be disrespectful in the games ahead as it will affect the players . So can I ask my fellow fans to get behind the team out of respect to Nigel. I'm sure that's what he would want . Thank you Nigel

Small Adkins story, remember when he was under a lot of pressure after the West Brom game and they stayed at the Four Seasons hotel. Well being drunk and knowing that hotel I thought bugger it I'm gonna ring reception and ask to speak with Adkins for the pure purpose of stating that I back him and the fans do and thanking him for what he has already achieved for us. Anyway believe it or not the receptionist with no questions asked put me straight through. And man answered the call almost immediately. I was able to say what I wanted and he simply asked for my name and said "Matt, that's top draw". It made my night.

A true legend, gentleman and a top manager with bright things ahead sadly not with us.

I genuinely think that if he'd stayed with us, we'd have comfortably finished mid-table this season and improved again next. It wouldn't have been long before other premier league clubs were trying to poach him, or even the FA for the England job.

I can be a bit dismissive of all this positivity sometimes, but Nigel has clearly worked wonders with the players at our club. I've never felt as much confidence in a manager as I did with him once he got going. We rose to the challenge every season he was in charge and he can leave with his head held high. It's a crazy decision to replace him before we know how much further he could have taken us.

Thank you Nigel, you will be very much missed

It wouldn't have been long before other premier league clubs were trying to poach him, or even the FA for the England job.

Come on!!!!!

Getting out of League 1 was a given, a lot of Managers could have done that on our budget.

Out of the Championship, pretty good , but any better than Phil Brown at Hull (who also kept them up), Owen Coyle at Burnley, Hollowhead at Blackpool. I would suggest that getting Hull, Burnley and Blackpool up was equally as tough as getting a quite expensively assembled Saints squad up. I'm not knocking Nigel or what he achieved at this club, but the over reaction from some of our fans is like we've thrown out the English Mourinho. Time will tell how good he'll be, but personally I doubt he'll get another Premiership job and will have to take a team up from the Championship to manage at this level again.

Premiership history is littered with guys who did a great job getting up, even in some cases staying up, but failing after that. George Burley, Paul Jewell, Phil Brown are three off the top of my head. Paul Jewell even did it with two clubs, yet you'd be laughed out the room if you suggested he was England Manager material.

Thanks Nigel, always wil be a saints legend in my mind.,today I don't like being a saints fan. I don't like what has been done today. It's wrong. Season ticket holder for 20+ years but right now I have had enough. It was fun with Nigel in charge. It's not fun now. Our new manager can't even speak English for ****s sake. Gutted

Absolutely this, apart from the being a season ticket holder bit.

A day later, got drunk and sobered up again, and I still feel completely deflated.

Thanks for everything you did Nigel and all the very best to you for the future.

Okay, so I have given myself 24 hours to calm down and to see if, in the cold light of day, I can understand Cortese's decision to sack Nigel Adkins.

I still can't. Following the other typical reactions to news like this; shock, disbelief, bemusement, depression, I am just plain angry about it now. Very angry.

Like 95%+ of Saints fans I think this a despicable act. And if the rumours, from fairly trustworthy sources, are true - that Cortese didn't even inform NA face to face, but let him find out from the media - then it is even worse. How pathetic and cowardly would that be? But would we really be surprised?

Nigel Adkins did an amazing job for us. He didn't get everything right - this season especially he has made rookie mistakes without doubt - but he, like most of the players, was on something of a learning curve. But after back-to-back promotions we were still on a seemingly upward trend. Nigel is a man with infectious enthusiasm, a really positive personality and a great philosophy on football (and life for that matter). *To be treated in the way he has been is just despicable. It's the word that keeps Popping into my head.

A Chelsea supporting friend of mine recently confided that most Chelsea fans aren't actually that dissatisfied with Benitez; they are actually unhappy with what Abramovich is doing, but won't criticise him as they are terrified he'll pull out of the club. Thus Rafa gets the brunt. What an awful predicament to be in? Terrified to criticise the actions of a super-rich egomaniac who makes decisions, seemingly on a whim. *I never want to be in that position, and feel no fear in letting Cortese know exactly what I think of this decision. *Roll *on Monday night.

Of course our own egomaniac hasn't put a penny of his own money into the club, yet finds himself with absolute control and the backing of a billionaire family. *I actually don't doubt his motivation. I truly do think he believes he can make us into some sort of footballing super-power (though like most Saints fans, I am sceptical on this, and frankly am not sure that vision attracts me anyway). *What really depresses me is the total lack of emotional intelligence in this whole sorry episode. Missing the point of what Nigel has achieved, the way he's shaped a true 'band of brothers' in the squad, *the special bond that he has formed with the fans, the way he, above anyone else, has unified this club: 'together as one'. Few before him have come close to this level of unity and purpose.

And for the blood, sweat and tears he's shed over the last two and a bit years, the double promotion, the evolving stabilisation in the top league, he gets... the chop. And not only the chop - the chop in the most unceremonial of fashions, and almost as insultingly, warrants just a short phrase in the press statement to announce his successor. Vulgar, crass and insulting.

Cortese may have the power, and be the front man for the money, but neither gain you respect or dignity when you trample those around you underfoot. A good, honest and talented man has been stabbed in the back. Let's hope the new guy gets off to a flying start. He will need to Me Cortese or things may get a little tricky over the next few months.

As for Nigel - there will be a queue of clubs vying for his services. I wish him nothing but the best. I'm pretty sure he'll end up having the last laugh, and good luck to him.

Edited by SW11_Saint

It's been a terrific time to be a saints fan under NA's stewardship. Loved the positivity, graft, togetherness of the squad all of which transmitted itself to the fans and the city. Like the vast majority I am appalled at the way NA and his staff have been treated by an unsavoury egomaniac, but I doubt there will be much time for them to rest up as another bus journey will be starting soon.

Nigel wasn't just a really good football manager, he was also a really great person. I never met him, but I've heard loads of stories from other people who just ran into him in WestQuay or around town and he always made time to talk to them. Whenever he was asked by the press about rumours that the chairman was plotting behind his back, he would deflect the story, defend the chairman and then praise the club. When a player had made a mistake in a game, he would acknowledge the mistake and then praise all of the good things that the player had done.

He was always positive, never looked for excuses and never looked to criticise. For someone with many admirable characteristics being treated so poorly feels so unjustified.