Gary Neville.

Made in Southampton

I've got to be honest I used to have a real dislike for him when he played for United but he is fast becoming one of the best pundits on the tele. His insight into the future of Southampton and relating it to the past that we had with the likes of the Shearers, Wallaces, MLT etc etc was spot on and shows that he has got a real knowledge of football.

with everything that's been said about our club over the last few days I thought he'd talked the most sense.

In a completely different league to the idiots on Match of the Day.

I can't watch MOTD any longer as they all make me think of old men sat in a pub saying "In my day that was never a booking."

Gary Neville is a very good commentator, knows his stuff on the teams he is commentating on, considering how long he played for United doesn't seem to be too biased towards them and he makes the other commentators look like amateurs.

I've got to be honest I used to have a real dislike for him when he played for United but he is fast becoming one of the best pundits on the tele. His insight into the future of Southampton and relating it to the past that we had with the likes of the Shearers, Wallaces, MLT etc etc was spot on and shows that he has got a real knowledge of football.

with everything that's been said about our club over the last few days I thought he'd talked the most sense.

Got to agree, not sure hs is management potential but an awesome number two

We had to put up with Martin Tyler & Paul Walsh...

Then Southgate and blur beer goggles in the studio.

Tyler & Walsh did say "Adkins has left behind a Very Good Southampton Team here"

But it was noisy in the pub so more just crowd noise coming over the telly - which DID sound REALLY good.

Someone should post a clip of a Neville summary on Saints one day for us foreigners

Please

I can't watch MOTD any longer as they all make me think of old men sat in a pub saying "In my day that was never a booking."

Gary Neville is a very good commentator, knows his stuff on the teams he is commentating on, considering how long he played for United doesn't seem to be too biased towards them and he makes the other commentators look like amateurs.

This

One of the things that most impresses me about him is the absence of the "snob factor" that besets so many of his peers - their almost fawning regard for the Big Four coupled with their patronizing, and often ignorant, comments about anyone else. Neville has a refreshing determination to "tell it like it is" - even if that involves disrespect for the respected and respect for the disrespected.

On another point, though, it's pleasing to read the comments on match reports and see that other fans are starting to recognize that the Saints play some pretty decent football, and that we are not the relegation certainties they thought we were at the start of the season. Earning respect in the PL is a long road but, thanks largely to Adkins, we're making progress. Let's hope we can keep it up.

GN is very very good. Like others say it's refreshing to see that he does proper research. I recorded MNF and just watched the saints build up, half time and the analysis at the end when I got in last night. Very interesting points and great to hear him praise a few of our English talents. Sounds like some of them aren't far from an England call up. Shaw/Clyne in particular.

it was also good that he interrupted the question he was asked to slate Cortese for not mentioning/thanking Adkins in his programme notes. He does seem to have the right idea about how a football club should be run, and he chose the right time to give his opinion on the lack of class that has been shown without tarring the whole club with that brush

One of the things that most impresses me about him is the absence of the "snob factor" that besets so many of his peers - their almost fawning regard for the Big Four coupled with their patronizing, and often ignorant, comments about anyone else. Neville has a refreshing determination to "tell it like it is" - even if that involves disrespect for the respected and respect for the disrespected.

Nail head.

I notice that instead of wandering about the house aimlessly, drinking beer or wine, in the prematch and half time, I actually want to stick about and hear his analysis.

Edited by adrian lord

On Mondays he gets to the studio very early and spends all day researching the teams for MNF plus much more. He gets out what he puts in and shows the other joke pundits out there that you can't just rely on what you knew 15+ years ago.

This is the big thing, the research, the effort he puts in. He puts even the other Sky pundits to shame. Was watching a game the other weekend where they had a little feature on the 150th anniversary of the FA and wheeled out the original copy of the laws of the game. Then the presenter said something along the lines of, "and can you believe that there are still only 17 laws in football?", to which Jamie Redknapp expressed his absolute astonishment. Then 45 minutes later he's jabbering on about some penalty incident and keeps talking about 'the letter of the law'. WTF? What qualifies you to talk about the letter of the law when you so clearly haven't read them? How is it possible that pundits on national TV are able to say about goal-line officials, '"I don't know what it is they do", as if that is somehow a criticism of the officials/UEFA. Find out what they do and tell us! You're supposed to be the experts!

Rant over. Breath now.

Seen bits of him and have generally been impressed, only thing I didn't like was him going on about his "work horse of a brother" when we walked into the pub after yesterdays game. Phil wasn't all that...

Phil Neville is a work horse, flair players don't last until they're 36, burnt out long before.

Seen bits of him and have generally been impressed, only thing I didn't like was him going on about his "work horse of a brother" when we walked into the pub after yesterdays game. Phil wasn't all that...

I think the work horse bit was with reference to his tackle.

Used to desopise him and refused to listen to him on Sky unitl a Liverpool supporting mate of mine who absolutely hates Man U saidf "he's good" and he is.

had me laughing when he was analysing the Spurs late equaliser when he was slating de Gea for only punching the ball out to Lennon. 'See the way Vidic is staring at de Gea Ed....it's not coz he fancies him"
He was even funnier a few weeks ago when he was talking about his brother, he said he's so boring its a risk to him if he has another piece of broccoli. it was on those lines anyway. it was a superb show, especially when he said about diving. He said he was sick of England being gracious losers etc

My Aunt was being mugged once by a couple of bad lads when GN and his girlfriend past. GN stepped in and punched one of the criminals in the face and sent the other sprawling to the floor with a kick to the stomach. He was a proper hero. The only thing that ruined it was when he asked my aunt to join him and his girlfriend in a threesome. My aunt said she couldn't because she had just been shopping and had some frozen goods that needed to go in the freezer. He swore at her, called her ungrateful and walked off.

My Aunt was being mugged once by a couple of bad lads when GN and his girlfriend past. GN stepped in and punched one of the criminals in the face and sent the other sprawling to the floor with a kick to the stomach. He was a proper hero. The only thing that ruined it was when he asked my aunt to join him and his girlfriend in a threesome. My aunt said she couldn't because she had just been shopping and had some frozen goods that needed to go in the freezer. He swore at her, called her ungrateful and walked off.
Are you trying to be Bearsy...sadly you are not

I have to agree with that, since becoming a pundit he has always been on the nail.