Pochettino's Press Conferences

maysie

Is it me or are his press conferences already much more open then Adkins, he seems much more willing to share information:

-Commented directly on the Coutinho transfer

-Talked about injuries and gave a time span (even if it was just mentioning they needed weeks)

-Stated that we have not made any other requests for players but will keep on eye on the market.

Thoughts?

This was my first thought when he talked about Guly and not being too disappointed about Coutinho going the way of Liverpool. I actually thought it was a club policy not to reveal these sort of things so either a)Adkins felt it better not to talk in that manner or b)club policy has changed

Well, it puts paid to the notion that Cortese was holding NA's strings in press conferences. I always hoped that there were two sides to NA, the one that we saw and the one that the players saw.

Can't help thinking "what if NA was really like that with the players?".

Well, it puts paid to the notion that Cortese was holding NA's strings in press conferences. I always hoped that there were two sides to NA, the one that we saw and the one that the players saw.

Can't help thinking "what if NA was really like that with the players?".

Yeah I always thought Adkins was towing the company line, but maybe he wasn't and that was how he wanted to deal with the media. What was Pardew like re injuries and transfer... can't quite remember??

Seems a bit more open, but still to early to judge. Hard to judge when going through a translator back and forth, which I find makes watching the interviews a chore. It could also be a case that he has more insight into our transfer policy than Adkins and therefore Adkins genuinely was unable to comment on a lot of things.

Seems to go beyond just the manager though. The Saints Facebook just mentioned Lallana could be back against Man U etc.... things in general seem a lot more open all of a sudden, not just manager's press conferences

The new PR guy shaking things up maybe...

Watching the latest press conference it is very noticeable that MP seems to be understanding the questions in english as he is reacting to what the journo is asking at the time. He also corrected the translator whilst he was mid way through giving MPs answer which seems to indicate he is does have a pretty good handle of English. Maybe its just the speaking that he is not comfortable with.

I don't think it will be long before he conducts his PC's in english.

Yeah I always thought Adkins was towing the company line, but maybe he wasn't and that was how he wanted to deal with the media. What was Pardew like re injuries and transfer... can't quite remember??

Couldn't find anything re: transfers but did find a couple of interviews on YouTube.

[video=youtube_share;tbV7kWmpOiU]

I'm sure that there is more on SaintsPlayer, but Pardew seems less guarded than NA.

Seems to go beyond just the manager though. The Saints Facebook just mentioned Lallana could be back against Man U etc.... things in general seem a lot more open all of a sudden, not just manager's press conferences

Wasn't that ony becuse it was mentioned in the press conference though?

Edit - Here is the tweet - Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC The gaffer said yesterday that Adam Lallana could be involved tomorrow – here he is in full training... #saintsfc

Edited by jayrivers
found the tweet

The thing I thought about watching the pressconference yesterday is that I think he will speed up his english lessons.

He looked so bored and frustrated with the translator guy....

And it was boring listening to a long diatribe from Pochettino too, before the translation was made, although I suppose one can observe his body language when he is speaking.

You could see that the translator had a job trying to remember everything that was said. Why doesn't Pochettino answer the question in paragraphs, let the translator do his stuff on that and then it would be much easier to follow with less chance of anything being left out.

Is it me or are his press conferences already much more open then Adkins, he seems much more willing to share information:

-Commented directly on the Coutinho transfer

-Talked about injuries and gave a time span (even if it was just mentioning they needed weeks)

-Stated that we have not made any other requests for players but will keep on eye on the market.

Thoughts?

Also, just to say, he was still very clever and coy regarding new signings, he's left the door open to new signings, while giving the impression that if nothing happens it is due to the club being happy with what we already have. Similar to what Adkins used to say.

I loved Adkins, but his lack of willingness to provide information and insight did annoy me. It's not like he would've been giving away key tactical decisions or anything, just some info on when fan favourite Lallana would be back. He took us from League One to the Premier League though, so hey...

I loved Adkins, but his lack of willingness to provide information and insight did annoy me. It's not like he would've been giving away key tactical decisions or anything, just some info on when fan favourite Lallana would be back. He took us from League One to the Premier League though, so hey...

I gave up watching Adkins' pre-match press interviews in the end, heard one heard them all; A total non-entity information wise.

Not too sure RE: injuries.

I do fell that on transfer it might be 'company policy', as it were. I seem to recall some quotes from higher management along the lines of, we will do our business in private. Which personally, I am all for.

Regarding injuries, I'm not all that fussed. It seems to really get under people's skins if they are not told the exact date that their favourite players are coming back (grown men this is), which I don't really understand. Then again, people also seem to want to know every detail about transfers, and perceive a black out (which seems common sense to me) as a lack of activity.

For most normal people, buying a house will be their most expensive purchase. If someone else was also trying to buy the same house, how likely would you be to publicise exactly what you are doing to try and purchase said house? Slightly weak example, but I think it stands to reason really.

Ninnies will be ninnes, I guess.

Watching the latest press conference it is very noticeable that MP seems to be understanding the questions in english as he is reacting to what the journo is asking at the time. He also corrected the translator whilst he was mid way through giving MPs answer which seems to indicate he is does have a pretty good handle of English. Maybe its just the speaking that he is not comfortable with.

I don't think it will be long before he conducts his PC's in english.[/quote

He speaks english perfectly well. Hes just nervous about public speaking in English. All this crap about the players not understanding him is utter nonsense. I

should imagine Adkins was more difficult to understand.

Well I am not sure this is necessarily a good thing or not. Franky, NA keeping quiet about possible transfers, the exact date that key players may be back or not, who is likely to play next week, etc, was always fine with me. Why share this stuff with media hacks? So what if NA stuck to the same record each week? These conferences are just to give the internet legions and 24 hours a day tv channels something to say; they are not designed to give any clues to other teams or managers, and unless your name is Redknapp, who cares if the media come away not being your best mates?

I don't think it will be long before he conducts his PC's in english.

He would be wise to continue to 'not understand English' for quite a while yet. Using an interpreter gives him time to think of a diplomatic answer, or to pretend to misunderstand, or even to completely avoid, a tricky question. It gives him a protective layer between him and the media, especially if any hack is trying to trip him up.

In fact I can think of a few occasions when I've dealt with the media, and would quite have liked an interpreter slowing me down, rather than shoooting my mouth off immediately!