• Ramirez (Sub 46')
    • Cork
    • Puncheon (Sub 46')
    • Lambert
    • Rodriguez
    • Lallana (On 46')
    • Davis, S (On 46')
    • Shaw (On 78')

Well it isn't often you see Man Utd hanging on for dear life at the end, but then I don't think there was ever any danger of us getting an equaliser for all our efforts. A team like Utd will mop up those diagonal balls all day long and for all our possession in their half, we didn't really create anything like a decent chance for the entire game (dodgy backpass in the 2nd minute excepted)

Midfield were superb 2nd half, snapped and harried United who were chasing shadows for long periods.

Our attack needs to sharpen up though, I thought we were quite blunt. Sometimes we need to play the quick long ball in, we were far too slow to build up.

Their GK didn't have to make 1 save in the first half and was barely tested in the 2nd despite our dominance of possession.

However the pressing was excellent, Boruc made a world class save, JRod scored a quality goal and United were run ragged in the 2nd half so a lot to be pleased about.

Can't help but feel that we could have had a point though.

I'm struggling between two reactions:

1) Aaaargh. Before the game, I'd have accepted a narrow defeat, but seeing how bad they were I wonder when we will ever get such an opportunity for 3 pts at OT

2) Wow. 2nd half was quite possibly a window into the future of this team if Pochettino can make the players adapt. I spotted the aggressive pressing in the Everton game and today it really showed again. I'm just amazed that the players have adapted so well this quickly, and performed their respective roles rather well in a difficult game.

1) will fade after some sleep and 2) will soon prevail...

I was ready to explode in the last 10 minutes, I really thought we'd get the goal - and Lallana probably should.

Still, could go 6 points clear at the weekend. That would be huge.

Or joint 3rd from bottom with Wigan and Reading..... I will pick your outcome though.

First half pretty dire and we were lucky not to be 3 or 4 behind .....2nd half inspired subs and played them off the park . But for all our pressure and dominance we really didnt create that much ...hope we get a couple of players in tomorrow that will give us a cutting edge... players looked super fit aswell..

Defeated but not disgraced.

Expected nothing from the game and encouraged by the performance.

That'll do.

My sentiments exactly. Take the positives into the Wigan game on Saturday and avenge that defeat earlier in the season and dump them well and truly in the bottom three.

Onwards and upwards.

Draw would've been the most reflective result, United just obviously have the pedigree to hold onto the lead for the rest of the match. Great game to watch, made me proud to be a Saints fan and shows we blatantly deserve our place in the elite.

Really good 2nd half, thought we deserved a point but unfortunately our lack of shooting threat in the rest of the team apart from Lambert let us down.

Again Hooiveld stressed the need for Fonte to return quickly or for Forren to get his fitness sorted ASAP. Lost track of Rooney for both goals (arguable for the 1st one but 2nd goal he had no clue of Rooney's position once the ball was in the air). I think we should've considered a loan this winter at least to cover for Jose's injury and get Jos out of the team squad.

Ramirez has been looking underwhelming and I now pretty much assume this season will not match expectations. Hoping a cracking next season though!

Boruc showing why he was one of Europe's top goalies. Maybe not too late for him to be considered so again (or achieve such form)? We'll see, but that save from RVP was from the top of the top draw.

The rest of the team looks solid but we need to get those goals coming and we need to shoot more, just not enough chances and we seem to want to walk it into the goal too much! If this happens we'll jet off from the relegation scrap into a comfortable mid-table.

Wow. One quick post as there is the annual festa here in town: I missed the first half and now off out again until the early hours, but from what I saw from 65 minutes on... giving Manchester United a real squeaky bum time. What happened to Punch and Gaston? Fox played solidly from what I saw. One of the more positive defeats I can remember, and if we continue to play like that and add a bit of penetration to our possession.. well, I'll be a happy bunny.

We outdid our New Year's Day 2004 performance at OT. That's saying something.

Brilliant.

That game came to my mind too. Very similar. Great impact off teh bench from Lallana and Davis especially. He's recieved some stick on here, but he injected great energy into the centre and made himself available all the time, which allowed us to pass and pass.

In all fairness not many teams come away from OT with a result , but we played extremely well second half and credit to Mo for not going there and looking to play defensive football - enjoyed the game great streaming and yes we didn't win but with a new manager on board it could easily have gone completely tits up for us tonight - Watch out Wigan !!!!