Wigan v Saints - build up thread

Dr Who?

It's a must not lose match as much as anything. Just don't give away any ground to the teams below us and we should be okay, same as when we go to Reading and possibly Newcastle. Having said that, this game is very winnable.

Would be tempted to start with Lallana if fit and Shaw too.

we really need to win this...we havent won enough and people keep going on about how brilliant we are and how NA was doing so well...

yet we are only 3 points from 19th place......we have drawn too many so really need to win this

lose it, and we are in deep shyyyyyyyte.....reading seem to be in championship mode...scoring both of their only shots on target last night...wish we were not as wasteful and they have a home game they will be expecting to get points from again on sat....QPR have norwich at home...(villa away to everton)

we really have to win this....I think we will as they have 2 key injuries at the back...

I personally would drop Ramirez...utter garbage away from home...in so far this season, not really a £12m signing....barely completes a game...and is a complete passenger on the road.....

Edited by Thedelldays

we really need to win this...we havent won enough and people keep going on about how brilliant we are and how NA was doing so well...

yet we are only 3 points from 19th place......we have drawn too many so really need to win this

lose it, and we are in deep shyyyyyyyte.....reading seem to be in championship mode...scoring both of their only shots on target last night...wish we were not as wasteful and they have a home game they will be expecting to get points from again on sat....QPR have norwich at home...(villa away to everton)

we really have to win this....I think we will as they have 2 key injuries at the back...

I personally would drop Ramirez...utter garbage away from home...in so far this season, not really a £12m signing....barely completes a game...and is a complete passenger on the road.....

This, except I am not so confident that we will win.

Too tough to call this, could go either way. Play with the same intensity as last night, and be a bit more accurate and ruthless, I think we'll win. We battered Wigan for an hour before throwing it away earlier in the season, and that was when we were sh*t. That, and our record being very decent against the rest of the bottom half, I think we'll scrape a 2-1 win. Please.

Disagree about Ramirez, we just need to play him in the hole. He plays badly on the wing and with Lallana back he doesn't need to. Also as Wigan play wingbacks are wide players will have less defensive duties.

Plus we don't have many options.

Disagree about Ramirez, we just need to play him in the hole. He plays badly on the wing and with Lallana back he doesn't need to. Also as Wigan play wingbacks are wide players will have less defensive duties.

Plus we don't have many options.

Am yet to see a game where Ramirez is not a passenger away from home.... And he has had plenty of game time in the hole...

Wigan is going to be tough and they swamp the midfield... Having a spare part there will do us no good

If he does play, hope he makes the difference... He clearly has the ability to

Am yet to see a game where Ramirez is not a passenger away from home.... And he has had plenty of game time in the hole...

Wigan is going to be tough and they swamp the midfield... Having a spare part there will do us no good

If he does play, hope he makes the difference... He clearly has the ability to

Agree I just think in a lot games he's been played wide left, he was in the hole last night but he won't be the last player to have a bad day at OT.

He was wide left (or right) at Fulham away, Villa away, WBA away, Sunderland home and thsese seems to have been his poorest performances.

he's been poor in the middle against Liverpool and Utd, but then in the 'no 10' he's played a key role in some of our best results like Newcastle home, Arsenal Home, QPR away and Villa home.

In that positon he has 10 games, 3 goals, 2 assists.

Out wide he has 5 appearances no goals no assists and has been generally poor.

I agree he's been inconsistent, but he's clearly very talented and the more he plays (in the right position) the more we will get out of him.

Really want to go, but the 750 mile round trip from N.E Scotland is probably a bit much. £111 and 14 hours on the rattler on my own doesn't sound great. Gutted as I would've been amongst a group of 14 on a mini bus up from Southampton if I was working locally at the moment.

Do you think Adkins sacking was in a small part to do with the fact he never got Ramirez playing to his full potential and Cortese sees Pochettino as a peron who possibly could, simlilar to Bentitez and Torres?

Benitez has got Torres playing to his full potential?

Ramirez will come good. He's still adapting and clearly has talent. I'm convinced he'll be a class act next season if we stay up.

Benitez has got Torres playing to his full potential?

Ramirez will come good. He's still adapting and clearly has talent. I'm convinced he'll be a class act next season if we stay up.

No he has not but the point is Benitez was employed to get the best out of Torres, whether he has done is another matter altogether.

Changes from United game: Forren in for Hooiveld (if deemed fit), Lallana in for Rodriguez, Shaw in for Fox.

Tactic: attack, attack, attack... let's prove we really belong here and win with confidence. More creativity than normal would be nice, we really on lofting it up to big Rickie way too much, but with Lallana back in the team we should have a bit more of the fancy interplay we saw at the beginning of the season.

Result: a resounding 2-0 win, with opportunities for more. Wigan will come close, but our defence will do a great job. Back up to 15th as Chelsea finally win on the road and take the points from Newcastle. Could even make ground up on Norwich if QPR beat them, and Villa to lose too at Goodison. Reading could pick up a point or three, so we need to be winning this one.

Could be a great weekend all-round!