Tom Jenkins

reader1234

Does anyone remember a Tuesday evening game when we were away at West Ham around 1970.

I was at that game. Really memorable game as Tom Jenkins ran almost the length of the pitch and put a hard low shot into the bottom corner from 20yds.

Later in the home game (not sure if it was the same season but he had a brilliant run down the left and got us a penalty for our second goal. We were 0-3 down after 26 minutes and Terry Paine scored the 3rd. Another great game and a 3-3 draw.

Whatever happened to Tom Jenkins he looked brilliant for a couple of seasons?

Ding ding... Thread are calling David in Sweden.....over and out.

nice of you to say that Olallana .........of course, I recall Tommy Jenkins.....but with mixed feelings.

He was up against it when bought in to replace Johnny Sydenham in late 1969, I think. To his credit, he had a turn of pace somewhat reminiscent of Sydenham, and when he set off... he always got the crowd behind him, and looked set to take on the world.....which was his one real problem, as he always wanted to " beat the extra man," and show off his dribbling skills instead of passing to another player, and his attacks often ended up as fruitless efforts.

He was certainly entertaining to watch, but only managed a handful of goals (as I recall) in about 3 seasons. He moved onto to Swindon (at a sizeable profit) where he had similar fan acclaim, but just as few goals tally. Seem to recall he moved to the States and played or coached at Seattle Sounders (who seemed to have attracted several ex Saints players over the years) starting with one of my boyhood heroes from the 60's .......Jimmy Gabriel.

Edited by david in sweden

nice of you to say that Olallana .........of course, I recall Tommy Jenkins.....but with mixed feelings.

He was up against it when bought in to replace Johnny Sydenham in late 1969, I think. To his credit, he had a turn of pace somewhat reminiscent of Sydenham, and when he set off... he always got the crowd behind him, and looked set to take on the world.....which was his one real problem, as he always wanted to " beat the extra man," and show off his dribbling skills instead of passing to another player, and his attacks often ended up as fruitless efforts.

He was certainly entertaining to watch, but only managed a handful of goals (as I recall) in about 3 seasons. He moved onto to Swindon (at a sizeable profit) where he had similar fan acclaim, but just as few goals tally. Seem to recall he moved to the States and played or coached at Seattle Sounders (who seemed to have attracted several ex Saints players over the years) starting with one of my boyhood heroes from the 60's .......Jimmy Gabriel.

Agree with you David, flattered to deceive, similar to latter day Fernandes (though at least Tommy usually ran in a straightish line, in the days before crop circles were invented). Almost always no end product, but on odd occasion he looked brilliant.

Amazing that a few on here were at the game away. It was the first away game I ever went to, my dad took me and my brother on the Saints supporters club coach. Not many saints f?ans there on the night, it was before segregation and tickets. We stood with the WHU fans on the side of the ground, I was 10 . Jenkins goal is something I will always remember, I remember how seemed to beat the whole team to score, and then Greaves got a very soft penalty to get a draw. A lifetime memory being with my brother and dad.

I was there on Bank Holiday August Monday 1970. It was my first ever away game as well. We went to the stadium in the morning to get tickets and I get Geoof Hurst's autograph. I have got the programme here - cost one shilling. The team doesn't list Arry. Number 7 was Clyde Best one of the very few black players at the time.