Jimmy Greaves as a Saints player

spyinthesky

Unfortunately I am away from my Saints 'bible' but was talking to a Saints fan, of my generation, on the train and he mentioned Jimmy Greaves turning out for Saints in a friendly

Can any one cast any light on this?

I think I can remember an evening game under lights?

I can also vaguely remember watching a Show Biz 11 game at the Dell in which the likes of Tommy Steele and Roy Castle played.

Ironically later in life I played in a charity game in Bournemouth in which Roy Castle turned out (think he was in Panto there)before he some time later sadly died of lung cancer (even though he didnt smoke)

He played and scoredin a friendly on 11th March 1980 agianst Vancouver Whitecaps at the Dell. Saints won 3-1. I 'd just read it in the Saints on this day book. Not sure of the reason for the friendly though.

If I remember the game correctly it was played with experimental 35 yard lines, beyond which you could be offside. 30,000+ crowd. I don't remember Greavsie though.

If I remember the game correctly it was played with experimental 35 yard lines, beyond which you could be offside. 30,000+ crowd. I don't remember Greavsie though.

Also, through the hazy mists of time, there was a shoot-out at the end. Attacking player starts at half-way line and had a certain amount of time to shoot. Think they were doing that in the States at the time.

Bloody hell, I was there...! Forgotten all about that one.

Even though there had been a result, they definitely had a shoot out where the player dribbled the ball from midfield, the keeper had free run of his area just as in normal play. Thought it seemed a good idea on how to settle a drawn game at the time. Better than a penalty shoot out.

Obviously I was in the minority....

• Like 1

I can also vaguely remember watching a Show Biz 11 game at the Dell in which the likes of Tommy Steele and Roy Castle played.

I went to that game, the girls screamed every time Tommy Steele got near the ball. I think it was against a Managers' X! rather than Saints though - Ted Bates used to turn out for them quite regularly.

I went to that game, the girls screamed every time Tommy Steele got near the ball. I think it was against a Managers' X! rather than Saints though - Ted Bates used to turn out for them quite regularly.

Can't remember Greavsey playing for some unknown reason but do remember Bally, Brucie and a young Peter Beardsley turning out for The white caps

I was there,jimmy played for us and he wore Reuben agboola's boots because he didn't own a pair.....if I remember rightly Bruce grobelaar played for the whitecaps and they had an offside line painted on the pitch,something I think they were testing out.....I've got the program somewhere,if I can find it I'll post up a few pictures.

• Like 1

I was there and remember Greaves scoring but the crowd was nowhere near 30,000 - it wasn't even near 20,000.

I was there and remember Greaves scoring but the crowd was nowhere near 30,000 - it wasn't even near 20,000.

Crwod was surprisingly larger than (certainly we) expected. We rolled up late from College & could only get in under the East Stand. I remember Greavsie - he was the main reason we went - didn't remember the other players mentioned. Didn't the ex Leeds keeper David Harvey play in goal for them that day?

Phil, I remember this night. You are correct David Harvey Ex Leeds was in goal. I also remember Jimmy Greaves scoring ( he was well into his 40's aswell!) I remember the 35 yard lines and that American style shoot at at the end. The attendance was 12.000. I can recall a night when a Dutch international played for us in a friendly, he had a Chinese type name (La Ling?). Was it this match or was it a friendly with Gothenburg in about 84? I recall playing Gothenburg a few times in friendlies, 1977 ( we won 2-1), 1984? (we drew 4-4) and in 1994 (we won 3-0), the latter was when Bally had just taken over as manager.

Edited by CLOTH EARS

Phil, I remember this night. You are correct David Harvey Ex Leeds was in goal. I also remember Jimmy Greaves scoring ( he was well into his 40's aswell!) I remember the 35 yard lines and that American style shoot at at the end. The attendance was 12.000. I can recall a night when a Dutch international played for us in a friendly, he had a Chinese type name (La Ling?). Was it this match or was it a friendly with Gothenburg in about 84? I recall playing Gothenburg a few times in friendlies, 1977 ( we won 2-1), 1984? (we drew 4-4) and in 1994 (we won 3-0), the latter was when Bally had just taken over as manager.

12,000 really. Well I was only 12, my memory must be playing tricks on me.

Hope the Police don't investigate, but think this was the friendly when an acquaintance jumped in to our dug out at half time and stole Lawrie & co's chewing gum.

he was not impressed as we're chamming behind the Perspex dug out & he's got no Wrigley's (or was it that naff chewing gum they sold up The Dell about that time?).

The Vancouver game was the very first match I went to. I was sat on the bench seats in the West Stand & can clearly remember the 35 yard line (you had to be beyond it to be off-side) & the shoot-out at the end. I don't remember much about saints though, but I remember Greavsie, Ball & David Harvey playing. The programme is one of my treasured prosessions, it is printed on pink paper.

It's interesting to see Ray Lewington & Willie Johnston in the line up, the later is most famous for failing a drugs test at the '78 world cup.

I saw the Whitecaps game and I also saw Tschen La Ling play in a friendly and score a towering header at the Archers end - he looked really good.

Those games also get confused with the famous Spurs reserves full house at The Dell when KK made his debut.

4-4?

I saw the Whitecaps game and I also saw Tschen La Ling play in a friendly and score a towering header at the Archers end - he looked really good.

Those games also get confused with the famous Spurs reserves full house at The Dell when KK made his debut.

4-4?

It was the Gothenburg 4-4 game that la Ling played in. He scored two (I was in the Archers behind the goal and I swear he was a foot higher than the crossbar for that header) and was generally excellent - needless to say we didn't sign him!

4-4?

The KK playing for the reserves before a full house was when he was coming back from injury and the word got out that he might make an appearance - his debut was against Man City.

The KK playing for the reserves before a full house was when he was coming back from injury and the word got out that he might make an appearance - his debut was against Man City.

Didnt we lose this game 5-4? Tickets for the FA Cup 3rd rd home match v Chelsea went on sale that evening and having queued for them, I missed the first 5 mins and only found out at half time that KK had scored a "worldy" in the first minute.

This was the week before xmas and we went to WHL on Boxing Day and drew 4-4 after being 2-0 and 4-2 down.

Didnt we lose this game 5-4? Tickets for the FA Cup 3rd rd home match v Chelsea went on sale that evening and having queued for them, I missed the first 5 mins and only found out at half time that KK had scored a "worldy" in the first minute.

This was the week before xmas and we went to WHL on Boxing Day and drew 4-4 after being 2-0 and 4-2 down.

I was at the spurs reserve game and i'm sure it wasn't a full house, i'm pretty sure i even walked around the pitch at half time to stand under the east stand instead of the west because there were more people there.

Unfortunately I am away from my Saints 'bible' but was talking to a Saints fan, of my generation, on the train and he mentioned Jimmy Greaves turning out for Saints in a friendly

Can any one cast any light on this?

I think I can remember an evening game under lights?

Ironically later in life I played in a charity game in Bournemouth in which Roy Castle turned out (think he was in Panto there)before he some time later sadly died of lung cancer (even though he didnt smoke)

where's the irony?

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

Great great player. England’s greatest ever goal scorer yet sat out the biggest game in our history when pretty much in his prime. Really did dance round players in tight spaces and pass the ball into the net. I dread to think how many goals he’d score in the modern game, his  style of play would have fitted perfectly into today’s game. 

To come back from the bitter disappointment of missing that game and his alcoholism to become a national treasure is really inspirational stuff. Saint & Greavsie was absolute genius tv, the best football tv there’s ever been, bar none. 

RIP. 

• Like 3

Jimmy played for an all stars eleven against Ashford Town (Kent) back in the seventies at the Essella Road ground . Peter Sillet was player manager for Ashford , ex Saints left back with 3 England caps ! Lots of other well known names as well , football was a smaller community then . The highlight was Jimmy mis hitting a cross over the 20 foot fencing and breaking someone’s bathroom window , to raise a huge cheer ! 
Ashford Town sold the ground for housing but the new ground was refused planning so they became nomadic . They still exist as Ashford United at an out of town 3G pitch stadium after various reincarnations

3 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Another 80's icon dying this week, after Clive Sinclair. Whose next Mr T.

Never saw him play, but Saint and Greavsie was must watch TV in the 80's and Greavsie was everyone's favourite.

Sadly there is another 80's icon was has just died, John Callis, the brilliant Boycie. I guess we are in that time now when people from our childhood die.

4 hours ago, rallyboy said:

What a player, scoring goals in an era of awful pitches and leg-breaking tackles.

So true ,didnt realise or forgotten that he was injured for the world cup final. RIP..............ps side note Boycie from Only fools and horses also saddly passed.

12 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

So true ,didnt realise or forgotten that he was injured for the world cup final. RIP..............ps side note Boycie from Only fools and horses also saddly passed.

I don't think he was injured, he just wasn't picked. He lost his place to Hurst and couldn't get it back.

I'm not the expert though, I only really know him as the Saint and Greavsie guy.

Funny old game.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

Jimmy played for an all stars eleven against Ashford Town (Kent) back in the seventies at the Essella Road ground . Peter Sillet was player manager for Ashford , ex Saints left back with 3 England caps ! Lots of other well known names as well , football was a smaller community then . The highlight was Jimmy mis hitting a cross over the 20 foot fencing and breaking someone’s bathroom window , to raise a huge cheer ! 
Ashford Town sold the ground for housing but the new ground was refused planning so they became nomadic . They still exist as Ashford United at an out of town 3G pitch stadium after various reincarnations

I played a reserve game for Ashford back in 99 think it was when Paul Parker was there 😅

Anyway Greaves..RIP. My spurs mad dad pretty upset by the news. One of the best.

20 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He missed a previous game through injury and Sir Alf wouldn’t change a winning side. He was fit for the final, but didn’t win his place back. 

Very true no doubt would have come on as sub in today's game

It is remarkable that all 11 English Players played for 2 hours

• Like 1

Is sad to hear this, he was part of the 'football establishment' when I got into the sport, late 1960's, quite revered at the time. Older relatives said he was unlucky not to play in 1966.

I enjoyed his spell on On The Ball, then Saint & Greavsie, although towards the end of it he seemed to become a bit of a self-parody.

Certainly one of he all time greats.

5 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

He could drop a shoulder and defenders would simply jump out of the way. This news makes me feel old.

Yes, know what you mean, sad seeing the names you were in awe of many years ago, and looked up to, disappearing.