Guly

Glasgow_Saint

• 3 weeks later...

Guly On '84

Was mostly ineffectual following his arrival.

From SkY Sports.

I thought his defending on the Itchen side was criminal - Jesus he is on for 10 minutes, the least he could do is break sweat FFS, if that had cost us a goal then we could have really been in trouble.

I know you will get the "you dont have to run at 100 mph to be a good footballer" happy clappers on now, but you feckin do when you are defending. And thats the problem with him really, i honestly think he doesnt give a toss (or he just thinks he is so uch better than what he is), he is not interested and i am just astounded that MP bought him on!

Cue - Happy Clappers defence

Guly On '84

From SkY Sports.

I thought his defending on the Itchen side was criminal - Jesus he is on for 10 minutes, the least he could do is break sweat FFS, if that had cost us a goal then we could have really been in trouble.

I know you will get the "you dont have to run at 100 mph to be a good footballer" happy clappers on now, but you feckin do when you are defending. And thats the problem with him really, i honestly think he doesnt give a toss (or he just thinks he is so uch better than what he is), he is not interested and i am just astounded that MP bought him on!

But which I assume that you mean someone with a different opinion to yours and dismissing that opinion in advance?

Guly On '84

From SkY Sports.

Bexy on the match thread - "So Guly's first contribution is to fall over and give the ball away cheaply. Great stuff. "

This just about summed up his small cameo. Would be surprised if he's here next season.

No goals in over 18 months now, so might be hard to find a buyer? suspect he is over-paid here?

But which I assume that you mean someone with a different opinion to yours and dismissing that opinion in advance?

yeah - its very easy at the moment to dismiss an opposing opinion (to mine) on Guly, because quite clearly he is **** and is now becoming one of the worst players we have ever had. Sorry, but it really annoys me when he is asked to come on and do a job for 10 F'kin minutes, which is basically keep the ball and track back to help the defence, he did neither, he could have been a liability, and most of all, WE DONT ACTUALLY NEED HIM ANYMORE!

PS- if we need someone to stroll around in midfield doing nothing we can now use Gaston for that.

I'm no Guly hater, I can see what he brings to the team and where he fits in. Sometimes he is the ideal answer when you need somebody to run, chase and get in peoples faces. He is tireless in that regard.

But watching him get done so easily soon after coming on was embarrassing. In fact, it was one of the only times I can remember in the game where we looked easy to beat defensively.

I really hope we have somebody coming through the academy that can play his high tempo game and replace him. I wouldn't say it's worth spending decent money on cover like that off the bench.

I'm no Guly hater, I can see what he brings to the team and where he fits in. Sometimes he is the ideal answer when you need somebody to run, chase and get in peoples faces. He is tireless in that regard.

But watching him get done so easily soon after coming on was embarrassing. In fact, it was one of the only times I can remember in the game where we looked easy to beat defensively.

I really hope we have somebody coming through the academy that can play his high tempo game and replace him. I wouldn't say it's worth spending decent money on cover like that off the bench.

GUly is not one of our stronger links and is mostly not Premier League standard - certainly one to replace in the summer. Saturday's cameo really summed Guly up. Where we are heading he is just not good enough. Two definates to move on this summer - Fox and Guly....

I actually don't mind Guly that much and don't think he is bad as our 5/6th choice attacking midfielder....however that piece of 'defending' on Saturday was pub football standard.

brought back horrible memories of his "defending" at Fratton park Dec 18, 2011

waste of space imho

The way Guly got completely skinned was extremely embarassing. As for him being a tireless worker...which Guly is that? I don't recognise him. Good player to bring on when we're 4-0 up and seeking a 5th. Or for them to get one back. Offer a BOGOF with Fox at end of season.

Bloody happy-clapper!!

That won`t make you many friends on here!

Yes but he had the opposite opinion to Noodles on Gaston so he must be a Happy-Clapper!

...and a wrist-slitter and a member of the "Cult of Cortese"? Blimey I hope not. Your head will explode!!:)

what are youre thoughts on Guly?

what are youre thoughts on Guly?

I have never thought that he was a brilliant player but I have defended him over the last couple of years in the face of a lot of unfair criticism levelled at him. It is true that he has only been a bit part player this season but a number of posters crucify him for every mistake but ignore the many positive aspect of his performances over the two promotion seasons. Criticise when due but praise when he deserves it as well.

He was very poor but he's not usually that bad. In fact he was quite good in his previous couple of sub appearances, and I do believe he does try. You could see that from one tackle he jumped in to in the Chapel/ Itchen corner - it was ineffective but the effort was there.

I have never thought that he was a brilliant player but I have defended him over the last couple of years in the face of a lot of unfair criticism levelled at him. It is true that he has only been a bit part player this season but a number of posters crucify him for every mistake but ignore the many positive aspect of his performances over the two promotion seasons. Criticise when due but praise when he deserves it as well.

I would say that i'm good at this? Positive in my OP as he was good for a few games when covering for Adam L, but I was equally quick to criticise when he was rubbish agaisnt Liverpool.

a number of posters crucify him for every mistake

"A number of posters". That would be Glasgow Troll Saint and Noodle. Nearly every one else has a balanced view, and can see that sometimes he is poor and sometimes he is good. The fact that Glasgow Troll Saint posted the Fratton Park pics just shows that his opinion is fixed whatever Guly does in the future.

I have honestly not seen Guly enough to really make a fair appraisal, but the times I have he's put in between a 6 and a 7 out of 10 performance, so not bad.

What I don't get is though that clearly Adkins liked him a lot and played him often. Likewise MP rates him enough to involve him off the bench when other options are available.

Surely those of you knocking him, must admit that both NA and MP know much more about football than you do and as such surely he cannot be as bad as you are making out?

The logic and reality of both managers handling of Guly points to them understanding he is a good player.

"A number of posters". That would be Glasgow Troll Saint and Noodle. Nearly every one else has a balanced view, and can see that sometimes he is poor and sometimes he is good. The fact that Glasgow Troll Saint posted the Fratton Park pics just shows that his opinion is fixed whatever Guly does in the future.

He tried to change people's views of his opinion as I got far too close to the truth for him to be comfortable.

That's not true at all, two posters don't like Guly, do me a favour. But you haven't played your trump card yet have you Vectis? And we know if pushed, you will have to show it.

The way Guly got completely skinned was extremely embarassing. As for him being a tireless worker...which Guly is that? I don't recognise him. Good player to bring on when we're 4-0 up and seeking a 5th. Or for them to get one back. Offer a BOGOF with Fox at end of season.

What about the crunching tackle down by the Liverpool corner flag near the end of the game?

Glasgow etc would do well to watch the Fratton Park game again to see that it was primarily Harding and then Lallana most responsible for their equalizer.

I did my best says Guly..........

99999246_Portsmouth_244281c.jpg

3474759666-soccer-npower-football-league-championship-portsmouth-v-southampton-fratton-park.jpg

3733284329-soccer-npower-football-league-championship-portsmouth-v-southampton-fratton-park.jpg

How many more times is this going to get recycled. This what happened. In the sequence before the corner was taken, Lallana wandered off and left unmarked the Skate who headed the goal. We probably man marked that day, or should have, so someone should have picked him up. Guly was guarding the post so not there to man mark.

On the other hand, on Saturday he got caught square on to the attacker and even worse turned his back on him. A very basic error.

Please try to be fair and even handed in your criticism.

One other thing. He gets selected for his creative qualities which he hasn't always had credit for.

In fact why don't we just cut to the chase. Lets have a poll, does Guly cut it in the Prem or not, simple.

Guly is not, and never will be, a PL standard player. Sometimes he tries hard; sometimes he can't be ar$ed. His first touch is lacking and his passing is often wayward and ineffective.

I will not be the least bit surprised or disappointed if he is offloaded in the summer. Given Cortese's obvious ambition, it's clear he has no future in our first team and we already have better options for the bench.