How Do you rate yoshida?

Mr X

Being played out of position aside do you think he is good enough? I think he'd be a good championship player but not convinced his positioning and ball skills are good enough his crosses are truely shocking and I just feel nervous whenever he has a one on one. Will he get better?

Very good CB, very calm and assured. Today against Norwich he has stepped into a CB position at times and really saved us against some clear-cut chances.

Not a good RB at all though, none of his qualities suit that position.

Did an amazing interception which would have been a goal from Holt's cross and then a fantastic tackle on Snodgrass which they would have scored from.

He has been awesome for us at centre back but is not a right back. Anybody who says he is Championship at best is just a moron.

Sometimes gets too close to his opponent and gets conned into giving away soft free kicks, but he is improving and never gives less than a fully committed shift. Played out of position today and didn't let anybody down, ( other than his crossing ).

Best reader of the game we have in defence. Don't think he's a great full back but he did well today. One thing I don't like about him is he has a tendency to stick a boot out at anything that goes near him which tends to result in balls ricocheting off others around him. I'd say he is probably our best centre back.

Top class CB, possibly our best, reads the game superbly, and makes very good interceptions. Bargain buy, and suits the PL well. Sometimes struggles a bit when he has to cover for Fox.

His twin brother who sometimes plays at RB or LB is a complete bozo. Odd that you never see them both together.

Sad that some people on here (mostly the usual planks) cannot see this and think because he has a stinker at RB or LB that he is ****. I suspect he hates playing at RB or LB but does what he is asked. Sounds like even out of position today he made some great saving tackles.

The fact we are four points off relegation and have a very very poor defensive record across the whole season would suggest that both centre backs are very poor premier league defenders - as much as we like them and yes he maybe our best its all relative - we will need to significantly improve if we want european football next season

Has the technical ability in terms of making tackles and reading the game well but just isn't tough enough physically.

Seems to be very good at making "skillful tackles" (and there really is such a thing as today showed) than tough ones.

He's had better games than today though. Bossed it against Villa and Reading at home earlier in the season. Certainly Fonte and Yoshida are the best pairing at the moment.

Love how people slate Yoshida for his **** crossing, Fonte for being late making up to he who shall be named below's error, Shaw for his non-penalty, but...

Jos Hooiveld was outstanding. Really looked the new giant Cannavaro out there!

Some people here need to watch a replay of the game. He can't attack a ball in the air clearly despite being bigger than most players, he can't pass a ball and he HOOFS (it is not a long pass for any deluded people on here) the ball recklessly every time he can't find a short pass right in front of his nose (despite being able to pass it to a fellow defender or to the keeper). We loose mobility and numbers in our passing game when he is playing as he is static and looks like the ball burns his feet. He was also lucky not to have a penalty given to Norwich for a lazy push on Holt in the first half.

And YET, people here say he played really well.

I seem to be in a minority here but I think he's bloody awful.

Throws his hands in the air or punches the floor when he makes a cock up (quite often)

You would never see John Terry showing he's lost it in the head like that.

Has made some horrendous blunders that have cost games for us.

Yes, he can do some things very, very well.

But makes 1 or 2 bad mistakes almost every game and that is not good enough in the top league in England.

Unfortunately the other 2 CB's aren't much better, but we'll hopefully sort this out next season if we stay up.

two great interceptions preventing a goal will grab the eye (I saw the Times and the Sun jounralists had him as our best player and Cork our worst), but other than that he was utter crap. Yesterday he was a massive weak link IMO. I admit I am not a fan, so I watched him closely to help me pick out poor peices of play to strengthen my arguement. Right back is not his position, I know that, but on several occasions he didn't get goal side. All defenders should do that without question. He didn't bust a gut to do so either. Fox would be hung drawn and quartered for that. We got away with it thankfully. Check out his positioning and effort for the Holt-pulled-back-by-Shaw chance. His crossing was horrific. So bad that he gave up and at one point passed it back to the half way line when he had time to swing a cross in from the edge of their box. Passing out from the back was even worse. He gave thre ball away on numerous occassions. I can see why we selected him yesterday as they have two huge front men, but we suffered because of it. Richardson needs to be Clyne's cover when we are faced with a long ball team.

At centre back he's too small IMO. He is not good enough in the air and we have suffered because of it. He does stay on he feet, but at at times he doesn't get tight enough or apply any phtsical pressure. As I said, I'm not a fan, buit having said that O can see that he's not the worst player in the world. He's very comfortable on the ball.

Edited by Chez

Throws his hands in the air or punches the floor when he makes a cock up (quite often)

But makes 1 or 2 bad mistakes almost every game and that is not good enough in the top league in England.

Unfortunately the other 2 CB's aren't much better, but we'll hopefully sort this out next season if we stay up.

That is patently untrue.

Please, I insist, give some examples of his '1 or 2 bad mistakes every game'. Seriously, I'm enthralled by the possibilities of what your answer could be. He's made a few mistakes here and there, yes, but what you have just said is quite frankly ridiculous. We're not in the pub, you can't just say things and not back them up

I'm with you on all those things.

You mean like when he cried his eyes out after missing a penalty? How is expressing frustration showing that you've lost it in the head...f*cking hell.

Consistency? ;)

Love how people slate Yoshida for his **** crossing, Fonte for being late making up to he who shall be named below's error, Shaw for his non-penalty, but...

Jos Hooiveld was outstanding. Really looked the new giant Cannavaro out there!

Some people here need to watch a replay of the game. He can't attack a ball in the air clearly despite being bigger than most players, he can't pass a ball and he HOOFS (it is not a long pass for any deluded people on here) the ball recklessly every time he can't find a short pass right in front of his nose (despite being able to pass it to a fellow defender or to the keeper). We loose mobility and numbers in our passing game when he is playing as he is static and looks like the ball burns his feet. He was also lucky not to have a penalty given to Norwich for a lazy push on Holt in the first half.

And YET, people here say he played really well.

he did. You are completely wrong IMO. You are one of the many people that wrongly wrote him off and have since failed to eat humble pie after some great displays since getting back imto the team. At Wigan he was our best player. He has been very gpod since getting back into the side. He is the perfect player when faced with big lumps. Small tricky forwards then maybe he shoulkd be replaced (as Clybe is dropped when faced with long ball teams).

two great interceptions preventing a goal will grab the eye (I saw the Times and the Sun jounralists had him as our best player and Cork our worst), but other than that he was utter crap. Yesterday he was a massive weak link IMO. I admit I am not a fan, so I watched him closely to help me pick out poor peices of play to strengthen my arguement. Right back is not his position, I know that, but on several occasions he didn't get goal side. All defenders should do that without question. He didn't bust a gut to do so either. Fox would be hung drawn and quartered for that. We got away with it thankfully. Check out his positioning and effort for the Holt-pulled-back-by-Shaw chance. His crossing was horrific. So bad that he gave up and at one point passed it back to the half way line when he had time to swing a cross in from the edge of their box. Passing out from the back was even worse. He gave thre ball away on numerous occassions. I can see why we selected him yesterday as they have two huge front men, but we suffered because of it. Richardson needs to be Clyne's cover when we are faced with a long ball team.

At centre back he's too small IMO. He is not good enough in the air and we have suffered because of it. He does stay on he feet, but at at times he doesn't get tight enough or apply any phtsical pressure. As I said, I'm not a fan, buit having said that O can see that he's not the worst player in the world. He's very comfortable on the ball.

You are usually pretty measured in your views but it seems that you've had a thing against Yoshida since day one. Which is not totally justified.

You are usually pretty measured in your views but it seems that you've had a thing against Yoshida since day one. Which is not totally justified.

I have certainly struggled to see his good points. I admit that. the `thing' I have against him is that he isn't as good as I hoped. He's not as bad as I suggested initially, but he's not as good as people are making out now.

I genuinely want him to prove me wrong. I try to back all Saints players, especially those being slated by everyone. I love an underdog, but he's not one, he's loved on here, and wrongly IMO.

Note that I want him to be the best centre back in the league, but he isn't and never will be. He was **** when he started, and although many seem to think he has improved liek no other, I don't. He has had some good games. And when he does I have said so. I like lots of things about his game. He's great on the ball, composed, good first touch, quick enough, tries hard.

His best games have been when he gets tight and actually makes life tough for a striker. However in the majority of games he offers an `after you' persona in matches. He's not nasty enough. You can't foul all day long these days, but you can make life horrible for an attacker, or at least hard. He doesn't. He is often bullied.

My biggest gripe is he is not good enough in the air. Winning headers is the number 1 thing a CB must do. He doesn't. That kills us. He jumps early to overcome the fact he is isn't the biggest. Chris Perry did this a lot but no matter how hard he tried his lack of height cost us with **** weak clearance headers that offered lots and lots oif second ball chances. Yoshida is exactly the same.

Anyone that had him as MOTM yesterday doesn't understand the game in my book. He was poor.

Edited by Chez

in the six game period between Newcastle and Fulham we conceded only 4 goals in 6 games..with Yoshida and Fonte as CB's, but the main criticism surrounding Yoshida seems to come... when he is forced to play at right back.... He clearly is not as happy there, but having said that ...his very timely interception (and cleverly back-passing in the six yard box) ...stopped an almost certain goal yesterday.

Play almost ANYONE out of position and you can expect some problems to occur. The problem is not having a adequate replacement for Clyne....when he isn't playing. Don't blame Yoshida.

in the six game period between Newcastle and Fulham we conceded only 4 goals in 6 games..with Yoshida and Fonte as CB's, but the main criticism surrounding Yoshida seems to come... when he is forced to play at right back.... He clearly is not as happy there, but having said that ...his very timely interception (and cleverly back-passing in the six yard box) ...stopped an almost certain goal yesterday.

Play almost ANYONE out of position and you can expect some problems to occur. The problem is not having a adequate replacement for Clyne....when he isn't playing. Don't blame Yoshida.

Good post Davie

You mean like when he cried his eyes out after missing a penalty? How is expressing frustration showing that you've lost it in the head...f*cking hell.

...missing a penalty that cost his team the Champions League Final?

Are you seriously comparing that to Maya's reaction to a missed header, mislaid pass? Effin hell indeed!