Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 62

Thread: How Do you rate yoshida?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gotham city
    Posts
    5,536

    Default How Do you rate yoshida?

    Being played out of position aside do you think he is good enough? I think he'd be a good championship player but not convinced his positioning and ball skills are good enough his crosses are truely shocking and I just feel nervous whenever he has a one on one. Will he get better?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sold! Vindicated.
    Posts
    8,927

    Default

    He's a better CB than RB. He's playing out of position at Norwich. Give him a break.

  3. #3

    Default

    Certainly no right back.

  4. #4

    Default

    Yep our CB is **** at crossing :-/ moron

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    8,050

    Default

    Pretty crap, squad player far too nice, no hard tackle, jockies well, crap at heading, does not command the box, no not a 1st teamer, yet another crap signing for the 1st team.

  6. #6

    Default

    I'd say that a big notice on the front page advising of the latest scapegoat would be useful, but thinking about it Mr X's threads are good enough

  7. #7

    Default

    Oh I suppose we need a new scapegoat seeing as Guly doesn't get playing anymore.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    2,842

    Default

    Very good CB, very calm and assured. Today against Norwich he has stepped into a CB position at times and really saved us against some clear-cut chances.

    Not a good RB at all though, none of his qualities suit that position.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oblivion
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Best CB we have at the moment.

  10. #10

    Default

    Not a right back.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    7,615

    Default

    made a great saving tackle today

  12. #12

    Default

    Good player and our best CB, not a full back though.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SWF Myth Busting
    Posts
    19,397
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Hit/miss so far at CB

    awful RB

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMike View Post
    made a great saving tackle today
    yep, totally. WTF Jos and Fonte were doing though is beyond me.

  15. Default

    Couldn't even wait till the end of the game to hang, draw and quarter the latest scapegoat.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Jersey/ Reading
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Did an amazing interception which would have been a goal from Holt's cross and then a fantastic tackle on Snodgrass which they would have scored from.

    He has been awesome for us at centre back but is not a right back. Anybody who says he is Championship at best is just a moron.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,622

    Default

    MoM until the pen save today, IMO!!

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    cloud cuckoo land
    Posts
    2,930

    Default

    Well I think he has been the bargain buy of the season, albeit far better as a CB than as a RB, but even playing out of position today , he made 2 goal-saving interceptions.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,183

    Default

    His positional play and reading of the game is absolutely superb.

    He's not very good at crossing... I can't imagine many centre backs are.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oblivion
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Played a delightful little chip midway through the second half to put Jayrod through on goal. The kind of ball Ramirez and Lallana couldn't play between them if they were on that pitch all day.

  21. #21

    Default

    Made two great saving tackles today

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,489

    Default

    Sometimes gets too close to his opponent and gets conned into giving away soft free kicks, but he is improving and never gives less than a fully committed shift. Played out of position today and didn't let anybody down, ( other than his crossing ).

  23. #23

    Default

    convinced we would have lost 2-0 if it wasn't for him today! (3-0 if it wasn't for boruc!)

  24. #24

    Default

    Best reader of the game we have in defence. Don't think he's a great full back but he did well today. One thing I don't like about him is he has a tendency to stick a boot out at anything that goes near him which tends to result in balls ricocheting off others around him. I'd say he is probably our best centre back.

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sandwich, Kent
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    Really good CB, mobile, excellent reader, very good 1v1 on the ground. Distribution a bit hit and miss. Needs to play next to a real brick outhouse, wins everything in the air, type of CB.
    Good signing, now let's get a big unit to play next to him.

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,896
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Top class CB, possibly our best, reads the game superbly, and makes very good interceptions. Bargain buy, and suits the PL well. Sometimes struggles a bit when he has to cover for Fox.

    His twin brother who sometimes plays at RB or LB is a complete bozo. Odd that you never see them both together.

    Sad that some people on here (mostly the usual planks) cannot see this and think because he has a stinker at RB or LB that he is ****. I suspect he hates playing at RB or LB but does what he is asked. Sounds like even out of position today he made some great saving tackles.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Chandlers Ford
    Posts
    546

    Default

    A very good player, reads the game very well and does the simple stuff very well. Of course his crossing isnt any good, he's a CB lol

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Winchester, Hampshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    632

    Default

    A good player.
    for me his passing isn't the best

  29. #29

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Vesanka, Finland
    Posts
    428

    Default

    He does a lot of good, some bad, and some really ugly. He made 2 very good interceptions today, but coupled that with 2 very bad passes which brought pressure onto us. He's learning, and I would stick with him to be honest.

  30. #30

    Default

    The fact we are four points off relegation and have a very very poor defensive record across the whole season would suggest that both centre backs are very poor premier league defenders - as much as we like them and yes he maybe our best its all relative - we will need to significantly improve if we want european football next season

  31. #31

    Default

    Has the technical ability in terms of making tackles and reading the game well but just isn't tough enough physically.

    Seems to be very good at making "skillful tackles" (and there really is such a thing as today showed) than tough ones.

    He's had better games than today though. Bossed it against Villa and Reading at home earlier in the season. Certainly Fonte and Yoshida are the best pairing at the moment.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Portswood
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Love how people slate Yoshida for his **** crossing, Fonte for being late making up to he who shall be named below's error, Shaw for his non-penalty, but...

    Jos Hooiveld was outstanding. Really looked the new giant Cannavaro out there!

    Some people here need to watch a replay of the game. He can't attack a ball in the air clearly despite being bigger than most players, he can't pass a ball and he HOOFS (it is not a long pass for any deluded people on here) the ball recklessly every time he can't find a short pass right in front of his nose (despite being able to pass it to a fellow defender or to the keeper). We loose mobility and numbers in our passing game when he is playing as he is static and looks like the ball burns his feet. He was also lucky not to have a penalty given to Norwich for a lazy push on Holt in the first half.

    And YET, people here say he played really well.

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    601

    Default

    I think he's a bloody great defender, thanks for asking.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    'Ampshire
    Posts
    702

    Default

    I seem to be in a minority here but I think he's bloody awful.
    Throws his hands in the air or punches the floor when he makes a cock up (quite often)
    You would never see John Terry showing he's lost it in the head like that.
    Has made some horrendous blunders that have cost games for us.
    Yes, he can do some things very, very well.
    But makes 1 or 2 bad mistakes almost every game and that is not good enough in the top league in England.
    Unfortunately the other 2 CB's aren't much better, but we'll hopefully sort this out next season if we stay up.

  35. #35

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Windsor
    Posts
    608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minsk View Post
    MoM until the pen save today, IMO!!
    This...spot on.

  36. #36

    Default

    two great interceptions preventing a goal will grab the eye (I saw the Times and the Sun jounralists had him as our best player and Cork our worst), but other than that he was utter crap. Yesterday he was a massive weak link IMO. I admit I am not a fan, so I watched him closely to help me pick out poor peices of play to strengthen my arguement. Right back is not his position, I know that, but on several occasions he didn't get goal side. All defenders should do that without question. He didn't bust a gut to do so either. Fox would be hung drawn and quartered for that. We got away with it thankfully. Check out his positioning and effort for the Holt-pulled-back-by-Shaw chance. His crossing was horrific. So bad that he gave up and at one point passed it back to the half way line when he had time to swing a cross in from the edge of their box. Passing out from the back was even worse. He gave thre ball away on numerous occassions. I can see why we selected him yesterday as they have two huge front men, but we suffered because of it. Richardson needs to be Clyne's cover when we are faced with a long ball team.

    At centre back he's too small IMO. He is not good enough in the air and we have suffered because of it. He does stay on he feet, but at at times he doesn't get tight enough or apply any phtsical pressure. As I said, I'm not a fan, buit having said that O can see that he's not the worst player in the world. He's very comfortable on the ball.
    Last edited by Chez; 10-03-2013 at 02:53 PM.

  37. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CityRanger View Post
    I seem to be in a minority here but I think he's bloody awful.
    Throws his hands in the air or punches the floor when he makes a cock up (quite often)
    You would never see John Terry showing he's lost it in the head like that.
    Has made some horrendous blunders that have cost games for us.
    Yes, he can do some things very, very well.
    But makes 1 or 2 bad mistakes almost every game and that is not good enough in the top league in England.
    Unfortunately the other 2 CB's aren't much better, but we'll hopefully sort this out next season if we stay up.
    That is patently untrue.

    Please, I insist, give some examples of his '1 or 2 bad mistakes every game'. Seriously, I'm enthralled by the possibilities of what your answer could be. He's made a few mistakes here and there, yes, but what you have just said is quite frankly ridiculous. We're not in the pub, you can't just say things and not back them up

  38. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CityRanger View Post
    I seem to be in a minority here but I think he's bloody awful.
    Throws his hands in the air or punches the floor when he makes a cock up (quite often)
    You would never see John Terry showing he's lost it in the head like that.
    Has made some horrendous blunders that have cost games for us.
    Yes, he can do some things very, very well.
    But makes 1 or 2 bad mistakes almost every game and that is not good enough in the top league in England.
    Unfortunately the other 2 CB's aren't much better, but we'll hopefully sort this out next season if we stay up.
    I'm with you on all those things.

  39. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CityRanger View Post
    I seem to be in a minority here but I think he's bloody awful.
    Throws his hands in the air or punches the floor when he makes a cock up (quite often)
    You would never see John Terry showing he's lost it in the head like that.
    Has made some horrendous blunders that have cost games for us.
    Yes, he can do some things very, very well.
    But makes 1 or 2 bad mistakes almost every game and that is not good enough in the top league in England.
    Unfortunately the other 2 CB's aren't much better, but we'll hopefully sort this out next season if we stay up.
    You mean like when he cried his eyes out after missing a penalty? How is expressing frustration showing that you've lost it in the head...f*cking hell.

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oblivion
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CityRanger View Post
    I seem to be in a minority here but I think he's bloody awful.
    Throws his hands in the air or punches the floor when he makes a cock up (quite often)
    You would never see John Terry showing he's lost it in the head like that.
    Has made some horrendous blunders that have cost games for us.
    Yes, he can do some things very, very well.
    But makes 1 or 2 bad mistakes almost every game and that is not good enough in the top league in England.
    Unfortunately the other 2 CB's aren't much better, but we'll hopefully sort this out next season if we stay up.
    Consistency?

  41. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melmacian_saint View Post
    Love how people slate Yoshida for his **** crossing, Fonte for being late making up to he who shall be named below's error, Shaw for his non-penalty, but...

    Jos Hooiveld was outstanding. Really looked the new giant Cannavaro out there!

    Some people here need to watch a replay of the game. He can't attack a ball in the air clearly despite being bigger than most players, he can't pass a ball and he HOOFS (it is not a long pass for any deluded people on here) the ball recklessly every time he can't find a short pass right in front of his nose (despite being able to pass it to a fellow defender or to the keeper). We loose mobility and numbers in our passing game when he is playing as he is static and looks like the ball burns his feet. He was also lucky not to have a penalty given to Norwich for a lazy push on Holt in the first half.

    And YET, people here say he played really well.
    he did. You are completely wrong IMO. You are one of the many people that wrongly wrote him off and have since failed to eat humble pie after some great displays since getting back imto the team. At Wigan he was our best player. He has been very gpod since getting back into the side. He is the perfect player when faced with big lumps. Small tricky forwards then maybe he shoulkd be replaced (as Clybe is dropped when faced with long ball teams).

  42. #42

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,930
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    two great interceptions preventing a goal will grab the eye (I saw the Times and the Sun jounralists had him as our best player and Cork our worst), but other than that he was utter crap. Yesterday he was a massive weak link IMO. I admit I am not a fan, so I watched him closely to help me pick out poor peices of play to strengthen my arguement. Right back is not his position, I know that, but on several occasions he didn't get goal side. All defenders should do that without question. He didn't bust a gut to do so either. Fox would be hung drawn and quartered for that. We got away with it thankfully. Check out his positioning and effort for the Holt-pulled-back-by-Shaw chance. His crossing was horrific. So bad that he gave up and at one point passed it back to the half way line when he had time to swing a cross in from the edge of their box. Passing out from the back was even worse. He gave thre ball away on numerous occassions. I can see why we selected him yesterday as they have two huge front men, but we suffered because of it. Richardson needs to be Clyne's cover when we are faced with a long ball team.

    At centre back he's too small IMO. He is not good enough in the air and we have suffered because of it. He does stay on he feet, but at at times he doesn't get tight enough or apply any phtsical pressure. As I said, I'm not a fan, buit having said that O can see that he's not the worst player in the world. He's very comfortable on the ball.
    You are usually pretty measured in your views but it seems that you've had a thing against Yoshida since day one. Which is not totally justified.

  43. #43

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oblivion
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    You are usually pretty measured in your views but it seems that you've had a thing against Yoshida since day one.
    Are you suggesting he's a ....?

  44. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    You are usually pretty measured in your views but it seems that you've had a thing against Yoshida since day one. Which is not totally justified.
    I have certainly struggled to see his good points. I admit that. the `thing' I have against him is that he isn't as good as I hoped. He's not as bad as I suggested initially, but he's not as good as people are making out now.

    I genuinely want him to prove me wrong. I try to back all Saints players, especially those being slated by everyone. I love an underdog, but he's not one, he's loved on here, and wrongly IMO.

    Note that I want him to be the best centre back in the league, but he isn't and never will be. He was **** when he started, and although many seem to think he has improved liek no other, I don't. He has had some good games. And when he does I have said so. I like lots of things about his game. He's great on the ball, composed, good first touch, quick enough, tries hard.

    His best games have been when he gets tight and actually makes life tough for a striker. However in the majority of games he offers an `after you' persona in matches. He's not nasty enough. You can't foul all day long these days, but you can make life horrible for an attacker, or at least hard. He doesn't. He is often bullied.

    My biggest gripe is he is not good enough in the air. Winning headers is the number 1 thing a CB must do. He doesn't. That kills us. He jumps early to overcome the fact he is isn't the biggest. Chris Perry did this a lot but no matter how hard he tried his lack of height cost us with **** weak clearance headers that offered lots and lots oif second ball chances. Yoshida is exactly the same.

    Anyone that had him as MOTM yesterday doesn't understand the game in my book. He was poor.
    Last edited by Chez; 10-03-2013 at 03:23 PM.

  45. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 110_Persaint View Post
    Are you suggesting he's a ....?
    what are you suggesting?

  46. #46

    Default

    I think he's been our most consistent centre back this season, he reads the game excellently and like Morgan generally intercepts the ball before anything develops.

    He's not a right back though.

  47. #47

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    stockholm sweden
    Posts
    11,108
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    in the six game period between Newcastle and Fulham we conceded only 4 goals in 6 games..with Yoshida and Fonte as CB's, but the main criticism surrounding Yoshida seems to come... when he is forced to play at right back.... He clearly is not as happy there, but having said that ...his very timely interception (and cleverly back-passing in the six yard box) ...stopped an almost certain goal yesterday.

    Play almost ANYONE out of position and you can expect some problems to occur. The problem is not having a adequate replacement for Clyne....when he isn't playing. Don't blame Yoshida.

  48. #48

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mongolia
    Posts
    7,537
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david in sweden View Post
    in the six game period between Newcastle and Fulham we conceded only 4 goals in 6 games..with Yoshida and Fonte as CB's, but the main criticism surrounding Yoshida seems to come... when he is forced to play at right back.... He clearly is not as happy there, but having said that ...his very timely interception (and cleverly back-passing in the six yard box) ...stopped an almost certain goal yesterday.

    Play almost ANYONE out of position and you can expect some problems to occur. The problem is not having a adequate replacement for Clyne....when he isn't playing. Don't blame Yoshida.
    Good post Davie

  49. #49

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North of enemy lines
    Posts
    3,901

    Default

    Decent and improving CB, that struggles at LB/RB yet is all too frequently played there

  50. #50

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    'Ampshire
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    You mean like when he cried his eyes out after missing a penalty? How is expressing frustration showing that you've lost it in the head...f*cking hell.
    ...missing a penalty that cost his team the Champions League Final?
    Are you seriously comparing that to Maya's reaction to a missed header, mislaid pass? Effin hell indeed!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •