Away Support

spyinthesky

Are figures available re away support in the Prem?

Notice that someone was bragging in the Pompey News that the 1,000 Pompey took to Leyton Orient was more than our following to Norwich!!

It wasn't.

Saintsfccop on twitter is about only source I know

https://twitter.com/SaintsfcCop

He sent out tweat on Friday that over 2,000 going to Norwich, likewise before Wigan said over 3,000 tickets sold and that 1667 sold for Newcastle, sure he gets his info straight from Saints

Didn't seem to be many empty seats at Norwich so i'd say around 2,300 fans there

yes we had sold over 2100 prior to saturday and more sold on the door, about 2200 there. there is a pic on football awaydays on twitter that shows our end.

we've taken good numbers last few seasons, and smashed what they are taking in league one (ok they are struggling, but we had -10 to begin with and still took 800 to Hartlepool on a tuesday night. )

they had about 1000 at Orient last night, ok not too bad for league one midweek in that weather, but we took 4000 there twice.

Saintsfccop on twitter is about only source I know

https://twitter.com/SaintsfcCop

He sent out tweat on Friday that over 2,000 going to Norwich, likewise before Wigan said over 3,000 tickets sold and that 1667 sold for Newcastle, sure he gets his info straight from Saints

Didn't seem to be many empty seats at Norwich so i'd say around 2,300 fans there

I think Saints away crowds are quite often quoted on what's sold in advance, we nearly always have a decent turn-up-on-the-day at many grounds.

Away section at Norwich was just about full and there must have been around 4,000 at Wigan, that end holds 5,500, easy to work out thanks to the pic of it when empty...

2q0lx05.jpg

Please see second para of text on the link. Even at pre-season foreign away games Saints have more supporters than that.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wigan_athletic/114471/snapshot-wigans-slightly-naff-away-support-at-norwich.html

"Reminds me of a time a few seasons back when Forest played Portsmouth on a dismal Tuesday night and Pompey’s sum contribution to the attendance was a mighty 14 fans – we counted them"

Well there may well have only been "14" but as you would expect from the "bestest fans" they were "mighty"

• 1 month later...

Seems to be a lot harder finding out our away attendance figures than it was last season, the OS used to report it alongside the overall attendance but they don't appear to have done it many times this season. So for the season these are pure guestimates.

Man City - 2,000 (Top tier full. Strangely the front of the bottom tier was full, as was the back, but there was a huge gap of seats in the middle. On Sky, 4pm Sunday KO and it was circa 50 notes a ticket)

Arsenal - 3,000 (This sold out in a couple of hours, I remember getting my ticket at 9.45 online and then it being sold out about 2 minutes later! Only £25, very good price)

Everton - 1,600 (We didn't take the upper tier, but the lower tier was 90% full. Our best following to Everton in many a year)

West Ham - 2,500 (This is a complete guess. They definitely didn't give us as many as in we had in the Championship, which was over 3,000)

West Brom - 1,500 (Another guess, looked roughly 1.5K on the TV, maybe more. They only charged £15 due to it being on TV didn't they?)

QPR - 3,203 (Confirmed on the OS)

Liverpool - 2,000 (Another sell out)

Fulham - 3,000 (Another guess, which with it being a "neutral stand" makes it all the harder)

Stoke - 2,000 (Allocation is 2,800. Not many at front of the stand, but the back was full)

Villa - 3,000 (Sell out)

Chelsea - 1,100 (More extortionate ticket prices. Top tier half empty, bottom tier mostly full. SaintsFC Cop on Twitter said over 1K sold)

Man Utd - 1,852 (Comfirmed as final ticket sales on twitter by SaintsFC Cop. Excellent turn out on a Wednesday night at 42 quid a head. Think many made use of the Wigan game being so close and did an extended stay in the NW)

Wigan - 3,100 (Confirmed by Saints FC Cop on twitter. 2,800 sold in advance, rest on the day)

Newcastle - 1,664 (Confirmed by Saints FC Cop on twitter. This was advance sales figure, so with Northern Saints could have been nearer 1,800)

Norwich - 2,100 (Saints FC Cop said over 2K, some here said 2.2K so probably somewhere in between)

Reading - 2,216 (Sell out. Figure Confirmed by the OS)

Swansea - 2,076 (Confirmed by Saints FC Cop. Another sell out)

Tottenham - 3,000 (Another sell out)

Sunderland - 1,500 (1,415 sold in advance as per Saints FC Cop + Northern Saints.

Average count - 2,232

If any of you feel that any of the figures above are slightly inaccurate then feel free to comment.

Another season of decent followings from us. Our away support has improved a lot during our time outside the top flight, a combination of a successful team, younger generation of supporters emerging and this season the novelty of PL grounds, that many of the younger gen hadn't done. Some our northern followings this season have been particularly impressive, especially when you take into consideration the cost of match tickets in the PL. For example, 2000 to Liverpool at £42, 1800 to United on a Wednesday night at £45. In PL years gone by we'd have been lucky to see 300-400 at Everton.

It will be interesting to see how we compare next season, when the novelty has worn off for many.

Will be interesting to see what our away following is like next season, a great deal of the grounds would've been full or close to due to being the first time most people would've had the chance to go to certain grounds.

Seems to be a lot harder finding out our away attendance figures than it was last season, the OS used to report it alongside the overall attendance but they don't appear to have done it many times this season. So for the season these are pure guestimates.

Man City - 2,000 (Top tier full. Strangely the front of the bottom tier was full, as was the back, but there was a huge gap of seats in the middle. On Sky, 4pm Sunday KO and it was circa 50 notes a ticket)

Arsenal - 3,000 (This sold out in a couple of hours, I remember getting my ticket at 9.45 online and then it being sold out about 2 minutes later! Only £25, very good price)

Everton - 1,600 (We didn't take the upper tier, but the lower tier was 90% full. Our best following to Everton in many a year)

West Ham - 2,500 (This is a complete guess. They definitely didn't give us as many as in we had in the Championship, which was over 3,000)

West Brom - 1,500 (Another guess, looked roughly 1.5K on the TV, maybe more. They only charged £15 due to it being on TV didn't they?)

QPR - 3,203 (Confirmed on the OS)

Liverpool - 2,000 (Another sell out)

Fulham - 3,000 (Another guess, which with it being a "neutral stand" makes it all the harder)

Stoke - 2,000 (Allocation is 2,800. Not many at front of the stand, but the back was full)

Villa - 3,000 (Sell out)

Chelsea - 1,100 (More extortionate ticket prices. Top tier half empty, bottom tier mostly full. SaintsFC Cop on Twitter said over 1K sold)

Man Utd - 1,852 (Comfirmed as final ticket sales on twitter by SaintsFC Cop. Excellent turn out on a Wednesday night at 42 quid a head. Think many made use of the Wigan game being so close and did an extended stay in the NW)

Wigan - 3,100 (Confirmed by Saints FC Cop on twitter. 2,800 sold in advance, rest on the day)

Newcastle - 1,664 (Confirmed by Saints FC Cop on twitter. This was advance sales figure, so with Northern Saints could have been nearer 1,800)

Norwich - 2,100 (Saints FC Cop said over 2K, some here said 2.2K so probably somewhere in between)

Reading - 2,216 (Sell out. Figure Confirmed by the OS)

Swansea - 2,076 (Confirmed by Saints FC Cop. Another sell out)

Tottenham - 3,000 (Another sell out)

Sunderland - 1,500 (1,415 sold in advance as per Saints FC Cop + Northern Saints.

Average count - 2,232

If any of you feel that any of the figures above are slightly inaccurate then feel free to comment.

Another season of decent followings from us. Our away support has improved a lot during our time outside the top flight, a combination of a successful team, younger generation of supporters emerging and this season the novelty of PL grounds, that many of the younger gen hadn't done. Some our northern followings this season have been particularly impressive, especially when you take into consideration the cost of match tickets in the PL. For example, 2000 to Liverpool at £42, 1800 to United on a Wednesday night at £45. In PL years gone by we'd have been lucky to see 300-400 at Everton.

It will be interesting to see how we compare next season, when the novelty has worn off for many.

Agree with pretty much all that, good summary. Liverpool was officially a sell out, but we didn't take the full allocation. Seems like our support won't pay the silly prices charged by the likes of Man City and Chelsea which is a good thing. On the basis we have a similar season next year, our support will drop off, but it'll still be a lot better than it was 10/15 years ago - think a lot of the younger generation have got the bug of doing away days regularly.

Agree with pretty much all that, good summary. Liverpool was officially a sell out, but we didn't take the full allocation. Seems like our support won't pay the silly prices charged by the likes of Man City and Chelsea which is a good thing. On the basis we have a similar season next year, our support will drop off, but it'll still be a lot better than it was 10/15 years ago - think a lot of the younger generation have got the bug of doing away days regularly.

I'm pretty sure that's their full allocation for some reason?

I probably won't do as many next season due to having been to some before. Ideally still do all London games, and the few I've never been to - Sunderland, Newcastle, Chelsea, WBA, Stoke...maybe Brighton.

I'm pretty sure that's their full allocation for some reason?

I probably won't do as many next season due to having been to some before. Ideally still do all London games, and the few I've never been to - Sunderland, Newcastle, Chelsea, WBA, Stoke...maybe Brighton.

I wonder what odds you can get on Brighton to be in the Premiership next season?

Fairly decent effort all round. See how it goes next season as mentioned above once the novelty wears off. I missed only Man City, Arsenal and Reading this season and hope to do a similar amount again next year!

Think I saw on the Stoke OS earlier this week that their following to us this weekend will be their biggest of the season...pretty shocked at that given they have pretty good access to plenty of clubs around there.

I think Saints away crowds are quite often quoted on what's sold in advance, we nearly always have a decent turn-up-on-the-day at many grounds.

Away section at Norwich was just about full and there must have been around 4,000 at Wigan, that end holds 5,500, easy to work out thanks to the pic of it when empty...

2q0lx05.jpg

"Reminds me of a time a few seasons back when Forest played Portsmouth on a dismal Tuesday night and Pompey’s sum contribution to the attendance was a mighty 14 fans – we counted them"

Well there may well have only been "14" but as you would expect from the "bestest fans" they were "mighty"

Still can't believe we only had 3,100 at Wigan, there is no way there are 2,500 empty seats in that stand, there was a small block of around 500 'segregation seats' at each side. I'd suggest Wigan massage the figures a bit to make it look like more home fans in attendance.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to Stevenage Boro Everton Liverpool Wigan Newcastle Fulham Chelsea Totenham Sunderland Reading and Swansea I was impressed with the numbers we took and how vocal the away support was Totenham and Sunderland being the best.

Very disapointed in the home support at all the grounds I went Liverpool being the poorest but all were very quiet apart from maybe Newcastle.

I think our away support has grown during our time in league 1 & the Championship gave us a chance to go to new grounds and strengthened our away following I hope it continues for next season

Swansea was the best that I went to for home atmosphere by a mile.

I went to Arsenal, Everton, West Ham, QPR, Liverpool, Fulham, Villa, Wigan, Reading, Swansea and Spurs.

West Ham was surprisingly poor seeing as they best us 4-1 and they 'owed us one'. Got a friend who is a skate who was at the Spurs game with his mate in the Spurs end, and he was going on about how good our fans were up there. Surprised me, I really do think on the whole our away noise/numbers have been superb this year.

Still can't believe we only had 3,100 at Wigan, there is no way there are 2,500 empty seats in that stand, there was a small block of around 500 'segregation seats' at each side. I'd suggest Wigan massage the figures a bit to make it look like more home fans in attendance.

Totally agree on that one. Great day out, shame not to be repeted next season.