Ramirez to Arsenal?

UpweySaint

Not sure it's deserving of a whole thread (please feel free to move it into another thread) but bbc gossip is carrying a rumour from a caught offside article (http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/03/14/arsenal-ready-to-pounce-as-wenger-prepares-summer-move-for-southampton-playmaker-gaston-ramirez/) suggesting Wenger wants to sign Ramirez in the summer.

Plenty on here have had the debate about his performance this season but the article suggest "The forward has enjoyed a good debut season".

Anyway my question is, should their be unlikely foundation to the rumour, is their a price at which people would sell? I still think he'l come good but somewhere near twenty mil for me ;)

He cost 12 million pounds. He hasn't looked to be 12 million pounds worth of player to me.

He is young, will develop..... We hope..... If we can hold onto him I would as he is so evidently talented but his ability to apply it in the right way in this country is key, I would rather he did that here then elsewhere. Yet if 20 million pounds are offered......

Maybe Agents playing games...?

Lol 2 threads on something that came up on bbc gossip!

Bottom line says its speculation that we might not be able to hang on to him if we get relegated....

Disappointed Arsenal haven't been linked with replacing Vermaelen who Fonte or Yoshida as well, seemed much more credible ones...

He's still young, but I would probably take the money if Arsenal offered more than we paid for him. Ultimately we need somebody who can deliver at this stage - if we were consistently a top 10 finishing side we could afford to have Gaston in our team, but I can't help but feel that the money could be better spent elsewhere right now.

he's had a few bad games (who hasn't), but equally he's been outstanding in others, all be it 60 minutes max in most. He does things with the ball that others will never be able to do. A little more patience is required and I'm pretty sure we will have one of the Premiership's top players on our hands.I'm still more than happy we spent the £12m on him. You need players that can undoi defences at this level not lots of workmanlike players.

Edited by Chez

he's had a few bad games (who hasn't), but equally he's been outstanding in others, all be it 60 minutes max in most. He does things with the ball that others will never be able to do. A little more patience is required and I'm pretty sure we will have one of the Premiership's top players on our hands.I'm still more than happy we spent the £12m on him. You need players that can undoi defences at this level not lots of workmanlike players.

This!

Agree completely. Good to know I'm not the only one on here that appreciates a decent footballer.

I have seen enough moments of brilliance to think that he can be a great player for us. I hate the whole 12 million thing, because it doesn't really work like that. Pretty often these days, you have to pay out 12 million to get 8 million pounds' worth of talent. I think his natural talent is a level above many of our players and it's the direction we should be heading in. I think if we want to move up, we shouldn't sell players like him and we should expect to find ourselves paying over the odds for more talented players, just like most clubs do. If somebody wanted Morgan from us, I'm pretty sure we'd make them pay over the odds and they could end up disappointed that he's not quite worth what they paid, but that doesn't make him less of a player.

I agree he's not been consistent, but I'm still optimistic about him. The ability's definitely there.

Yep, now isn't the time to start selling players when the emphasis is building a good squad with decent players. If we go down, then that's another!

At Norwich we were all pleased when he was pulled off.

Nope.

Been our best attacker last two games despite the teams average performances, completely devoid of any creativity when he went off against QPR.

Would like the keep hold off him as I reckon he'll be much improved next year, however depends if we stay up, if we don't we will sell him. You'd think Arsenal would want to buy some decent defenders, a decent defensive mid and a decent striker before they buy any more attacking midfielders. They have Corzola, Wilshere, Rosicky, Gervinho, Walcott and Oxlaide CHamberlain in those positions.

Maybe they'll do a swap deal, £10 million plus the ox back :D

Exactly this. Inconsistentcy has plagued him but he has been class and we'd be a lot worse off without his contributions.

Damn right.

Morgan was mentioned on another post......I seem to remember some comments only a few seasons ago about the stupidity of Lowe to pay so much for a young player, who wasn't immediately delivering. Hmmmmm........

Gaston will be very good for us.

I wasn't, not for Ward-Prowse anyway.

Exactly, this bringing off one of the front 3 for JWP when we aren't winning has got to stop.

Bringing off Gaston told me we weren't going to score v Norwich.

He may not have been great but our biggest threat I thought.

Well said. The way some people bang on, it seems some people expect the lad to be pinging in 30 yard worldies every game on the basis he cost 12 million quid.

I'm still waiting for the "absolutely definitely pre-arranged -- he's really only on loan to us" transfer of Schneiderlin to Arsenal to take place as predicted by so many. Must be about 4 years overdue now?

As to Ramirez, interesting that Solent today ran an interview with Pocchetino on Gaston, saying basically that he is a potential world class player, and that he is still adapting.

I'd keep him but that's only going to happen if we stay up so got to secure safety first.

Seen enough to think he'll become a very good player if we stick with him.

Also would be gutting to have him during his acclimatision period and then to watch someone else take him on as he accelerated forward.

We've let so many fantastic players go before they really got going (always think of what Shearer could have done for us had he stuck around a few more years) that I want to see the kid develop here.

Well said. The way some people bang on, it seems some people expect the lad to be pinging in 30 yard worldies every game on the basis he cost 12 million quid.

One or two would be nice though.

It just again comes back to the same debate with Gaston as it does with JRod. Not whether he is or will be worth the money in future, but whether he was the right signing for THIS season. Next season, with one year of Prem experience behind us (if we stay up) then, for me, it's a decent signing. This season, I'm not so sure given that we failed to spend a similar sum in other more worthy areas of the side.

Any comparisons drawn between Gaston Ramirez and Morgan Schneiderlin ignore the facts that the latter player was both rather younger when he arrived here, and considerably less expensive too!

Perhaps Gaston will eventually prove to be a success here, perhaps he won't. But when we spent a record £12m on him I dare say the club were expecting to see a player who would be delivering match winning performances on a regular basis this season. Even his biggest supporters on here would struggle to argue that we've seen much of that as yet.

One or two would be nice though.

It just again comes back to the same debate with Gaston as it does with JRod. Not whether he is or will be worth the money in future, but whether he was the right signing for THIS season. Next season, with one year of Prem experience behind us (if we stay up) then, for me, it's a decent signing. This season, I'm not so sure given that we failed to spend a similar sum in other more worthy areas of the side.

For me JRod has shown his worth this year, seven million doesnt get you much for an english striker but hes actually looked good since the turn of the year.

At Norwich we were all pleased when he was pulled off.

I wasn't, not for Ward-Prowse anyway.

Agree with Appy.

When we replaced Ramirez with JWP V QPR, we seemed to lose momentum and any remaining attacking threat.

I still think he will come good.

Whether or not he was a signing for us this season is debatable, but also not really his fault.

Fulham away he changed the game once he was moved more central, absolutely everything was going through him, despite Fulhams attempts to kick lumps out of him.

If we stick with him, I am convinced he will become a top player. He is still young, and these types of foreign players regularly take a year or so to reach their best form once coming to England. Again, not ideal for us now, but that is the position we are in.

Give the lad time, he will be class.

I'd happily see him go for £8m. The man is so overrated and struggles to get past the 60th minute. His bad games outweigh his good games.

If he someone like QPR or Reading had signed him for £12m, loads of people on here would be calling him a flop and a waste of money.

Safe to say Cortese got mugged by the Bologna chairman.

I'd happily see him go for £8m. The man is so overrated and struggles to get past the 60th minute. His bad games outweigh his good games.

If he someone like QPR or Reading had signed him for £12m, loads of people on here would be calling him a flop and a waste of money.

Is it not a bit soon to say that?

Has he fulfilled promise so far, not really. Will he? Maybe, I think so.

To be fair his season has been interrupted by injury etc and he never had a full pre season, see how he fits in next year surely before selling at a loss? His value will keep fairly high as he is highly rated in Italy if nowhere else.

He's the sort of player who might just take time to deliver but end up being brilliant. I wouldn't want him to leave. If we stay up and he has a couple of better players around him, he'll be a big asset.

This, he is quality. He is getting better but needs to start lasting more than 60 mins

IMO taking off Ramirez was the right move, putting JWP on for him was the wrong one, given the other option(s) available.

Yeah, i wasn't too bothered him going off, if it had been for Puncheon.

Is it not a bit soon to say that?

Has he fulfilled promise so far, not really. Will he? Maybe, I think so.

To be fair his season has been interrupted by injury etc and he never had a full pre season, see how he fits in next year surely before selling at a loss? His value will keep fairly high as he is highly rated in Italy if nowhere else.

Not really imo, when a club like us spend £12m on a player you'd expect them to be a key part to our season. Has he been a key part to our season? No.

It's a shame that performances against Villa, Newcastle and Arsenal at home don't come often enough. Sadly away from home, 90% of the time it's like we're playing with 10 men when he's playing. And let's not mention his **** poor fitness.

I remember around the time of him signing, there were a few Italian football journalists who had doubts about him adapting well to the English game, so far they've been correct.

If we go down, we will struggle to get £6m for him.

Not really imo, when a club like us spend £12m on a player you'd expect them to be a key part to our season. Has he been a key part to our season? No.

It's a shame that performances against Villa, Newcastle and Arsenal at home don't come often enough. Sadly away from home, 90% of the time it's like we're playing with 10 men when he's playing. And let's not mention his **** poor fitness.

I remember around the time of him signing, there were a few Italian football journalists who had doubts about him adapting well to the English game, so far they've been correct.

If we go down, we will struggle to get £6m for him.

A club like us? I wont go down the dell sized mentality nonsense but twelve million pounds doesnt get you much these days (the odd bargain aside I admit!).

I agree he has not reached the heights we hoped for you but do you not think he's had a rather difficult first season? Injuries, family problems, a change of manager, a language he doesnt speak, no pre season and a team not exactly setting the league alight.

If we go down I firmly believe we would not sell for less then ten nor should we. He's contracted and still rated highly in Italy if you believe the heavy trickle of rumours.

A club like us? I wont go down the dell sized mentality nonsense but twelve million pounds doesnt get you much these days (the odd bargain aside I admit!).

I agree he has not reached the heights we hoped for you but do you not think he's had a rather difficult first season? Injuries, family problems, a change of manager, a language he doesnt speak, no pre season and a team not exactly setting the league alight.

If we go down I firmly believe we would not sell for less then ten nor should we. He's contracted and still rated highly in Italy if you believe the heavy trickle of rumours.

Ramirez supposedly threw his toys out of the pram to get a move from Bologna to Saints, what makes you think he won't do the same if we go down to force a move? No club will offer us £10m if we go down.

By the way, when I said a club like us I meant a club fighting relegation. You'd expect your big money signings to be a big success. I bet our transfer committee regret not going for Michu now.

I'm not sure you can hold that fee against him. The transfer strategy was to bring in young players with plenty of potential - Clyne, Ramirez, Gazza, Yoshida. Many pointed out that it was a strange and risky window for recruiting the type of players we did for a newly promoted side, for instance, an experienced commanding CB was on most poster's lists and could have made the impact you are looking for, not a young Ramirez.

Ramirez supposedly threw his toys out of the pram to get a move from Bologna to Saints, what makes you think he won't do the same if we go down to force a move? No club will offer us £10m if we go down.

By the way, when I said a club like us I meant a club fighting relegation. You'd expect your big money signings to be a big success. I bet our transfer committee regret not going for Michu now.

How do we know we didn't?

I think once it became apparent Laudrup was in for him, it would have taken a Utd-esque club to keep him from Swansea, well in my opinion at least.

This.

Just think of all those dropped points that might have been saved if the time, effort and money spent on securing his services had been invested on a couple of decent defenders.

urgh...hate this should get players like Michu for 2m...

Thing is 5 out of the 6 players you get for 2m will turn out utter crap.

Agree. I think it's called making stats fit your agenda. 5/6m is really not a lot of money in the premiership. Yes there are players who stand out as cheaper and done better, but there are also plenty who are expensive and poor. Yes for 12m you'd probably say that he's not been value for money yet, but don't understand people writing the lad off yet. Clearly got talent but has had a tough first season with injuries/family problems, i'm confident he'll come good and definitely don't think we should sell him at a loss.

Cortese isn't going to sell him in the summer of 2013 for less than we paid for him in the summer of 2012! ffs

He really hasn't done as poorly as many in this thread are making out. Technically he is probably our best player, has had injuries, a family bereavement, no-preseason with Saints and is only 22 years old. I think he will prove to be a very good buy, a pre-season with Pochetinno this summer will do him the world of good.