Steven Gerrard

saintedwill

I've watched him a few times this season and honestly think his legs are starting to go. He is still a class act, but I don't believe he can cut it for England for much longer. But of course he is one of those who cannot be dropped in the media's eyes. The better way of looking at yesterday is that Saints won the battle of the midfield, i.e. we were good and it wasn't the opposition who had an off day. Saints have made Arsenal, Man C, and now Liverpool look very ordinary at St. Mary's. It can't be that all of them had an off day.

Yes, although he was involved in the build up to their goal to be fair, in the main he wasn't all that big a influence on the game. You might almost say that our younger/quicker midfield ran rings around him. But perhaps he just doesn't like St Marys because I seem to recall he had a similarly marginal impact the last time he was here back in 2005/6.

So in the autumn of his career now but make no mistake, a truly great player in his prime.

He didn't play we'll but I don't agree that his legs are going and I think he's still quality. Yesterday we dominated midfield. Morgan and Cork are a tour de force. Liverpool's system didn't help. It seemed almost like they had just two in midfield at times and Joe Allen was poor and replaced at half time by Lucas, after which they looked stronger, and we brought on Davis to counter it.

I know our midfield was fantastic yesterday but was anyone else surprised about how off the pace Gerrard looked?

I noticed, but I wasn't surprised. I was more surprised how he ran the show against us at Anfield. He looked 10 years younger that day ;)

Morgan and Cork are a brilliant combination....TOTALLY outplayed Gerrard and Allen.

Glad to see that Morgan pushes forward more often.

Ramirez and then Davis....both made telling contributions.

Lallana back to his best......the goals will come for him as well.

Jay Rod and Lambert are forming a very good striking force which causes sooooo many problems for the oppposition.

Our two full backs ..Clyne and Shaw are top drawer....

Yoshida and Jos/Fonte put in much sterling work.

Boruc.....Top class GK.....Number 1 on the team sheet......Stay fit Artur.

Great team performance and WELL DONE THE COACH..........Top marks.

COYS:)

Forgot to mention Gerrard....one or two long telegraphed passes and LOTS of chat and directions to the useless referee..:p

Edited by ottery st mary

Rogers helped us massively by playing Allen in place of Lucas imo. Had it been the other way round I don't think we would have had such an easy day of it, Gerrard still oozes class but was covering for Allen who is injured, as well as tring to do his own job.

I know our midfield was fantastic yesterday but was anyone else surprised about how off the pace Gerrard looked?

His legs have gone. Spent the final half hour not leaving the centre circle. Try telling Liverpool fans he's had his day though. They'd still have f**king Dalglish and Rush playing. Sentimental choppers.

He's 32, he's not going to be the rampaging midfielder he was 7-8 years ago. In his prime he was a class player and still is quality, he'll just adapt his game like all top players do. 3 years ago people said Pirlo was finished and he was arguably the best midfielder at Euro 2012.

He's 32, he's not going to be the rampaging midfielder he was 7-8 years ago. In his prime he was a class player and still is quality, he'll just adapt his game like all top players do. 3 years ago people said Pirlo was finished and he was arguably the best midfielder at Euro 2012.

Personally not sure Gerrard is capable of changing his game enough. His game is built on being a 'rampaging midfielder' and Pirlo's adjusted in a lot slower league. He was world class a few years ago, but arguably not anymore.

Gerrard has hardly been in Pirlo's class ever. Even at his best he's not close to a Pirlo. Some of his hollywood balls yesterday were embarrassing and his team mates were annoyed with him for constantly giving away possession. Not sure he has the footballing brain to adapt in terms of discipline positionally. Without any disrespect to Corky, when players like him make Gerrard look a mug for 90 minutes he should hardly be a guaranteed pick for a team with aspirations of the top 4. Some midfielders come good between 32 and 35 but I'm not sure it's going that way for Gerrard.

Personally not sure Gerrard is capable of changing his game enough. His game is built on being a 'rampaging midfielder' and Pirlo's adjusted in a lot slower league. He was world class a few years ago, but arguably not anymore.

Brendan Rogers said he was doing this a few weeks back and is still a highly influential player at Liverpool. He's played every minute of every game this season so obviously doing something right.

Gerrard has hardly been in Pirlo's class ever. Even at his best he's not close to a Pirlo. Some of his hollywood balls yesterday were embarrassing and his team mates were annoyed with him for constantly giving away possession. Not sure he has the footballing brain to adapt in terms of discipline positionally. Without any disrespect to Corky, when players like him make Gerrard look a mug for 90 minutes he should hardly be a guaranteed pick for a team with aspirations of the top 4. Some midfielders come good between 32 and 35 but I'm not sure it's going that way for Gerrard.

Pirlo was just an example of players being written off but still producing the good you plum. As i said above he's played every minute of every game this season, must be doing something right and Brendan Rodgers still rates him, he knows more than a few Internet people who are writing him off after one game.

Edited by Turkish

Pirlo was just an example of players being written off but still producing the good you plum. As i said above he's played every minute of every game this season, must be doing something right and Brendan Rodgers still rates him, he knows more than a few Internet people who are writing him off after one game.

Brendan Rodgers will say anything that keeps the Liverpool fans onside because he knows he's done a sh*t job at Anfield. If tossing off Gerrard is what it takes then he'll do it. I wouldn't write someone off it they were showing any sign whatsoever of adapting their game to reflect their fitness levels over 90 minutes. To be fair, I'd probably be a bit kinder if I didn't think he was a bit of a plank. The only way he managed to assert himself on Spurs at Anfield last week was by committing two yellow card offences in about 5 minutes including smashing into Bale from behind, somehow managing to go unpunished.

A mate at work has a season ticket at Anfield right on the half way line behind the dugouts so has a great view of the play every week. He has been saying they should drop Gerard all season as he feels he has become a liability and is far from the player he once was. I went to Anfield and thought Gerard had a good match against us up there and said mate said that was his only decent performance this season up to that point. My mate said he has improved a bit since but I think the writing is on the wall for him. I reckon he may retire by the end of next season, maybe injuries have just caught up with him.

Allen was playing with an injury according to the fans on the Liverpool forum, we basically ripped them apart in midfield and Rogers should of added a 3rd midfielder to support Gerrard and Allen.

IMHO is still one of my fav England players as he has the passion & energy.

My Liverpool supporting mate reckons he coasts through games before England games to make sure he's fit and ready for England. He reckons at this stage in Gerrard's career being England captain is more important to him as Liverpool are unlikely to do anything before he retires but he's got a World Cup to get to as England captain.

Brendan Rodgers will say anything that keeps the Liverpool fans onside because he knows he's done a sh*t job at Anfield. If tossing off Gerrard is what it takes then he'll do it. I wouldn't write someone off it they were showing any sign whatsoever of adapting their game to reflect their fitness levels over 90 minutes. To be fair, I'd probably be a bit kinder if I didn't think he was a bit of a plank. The only way he managed to assert himself on Spurs at Anfield last week was by committing two yellow card offences in about 5 minutes including smashing into Bale from behind, somehow managing to go unpunished.

:lol: of course. He's played him for every minute of every game this season because he's doing a s*it job and just wants to make friends with the scoucers, of course that's the reason. :lol:

Allen was playing with an injury according to the fans on the Liverpool forum, we basically ripped them apart in midfield and Rogers should of added a 3rd midfielder to support Gerrard and Allen.

IMHO is still one of my fav England players as he has the passion & energy.

They are two all important qualities for any player that pulls on an England shirt.

A comparison made by the father after the game was one between Scholes (at home against Man Utd earlier in the year) and Gerrard. Both seemed to be operating in a similar way, sit behind the attack, get possession and spread the ball as required.

His quality is obviously still there and he doesn't need to charge around as much as he used to to contribute.

A comparison made by the father after the game was one between Scholes (at home against Man Utd earlier in the year) and Gerrard. Both seemed to be operating in a similar way, sit behind the attack, get possession and spread the ball as required.

His quality is obviously still there and he doesn't need to charge around as much as he used to to contribute.

IMO Scholes is the best player this country has produced for 20 odd years, an absolute class player woefully misused by England.

A massive pity that he retired from international football after Euro 2004.

Partly caused IIRC correctly by a succession of England managers playing him on the left in a 4-4-2 rather than building a team around him as they should have done.

Love this thread. When we read other sites ignorantly throwing around cliches people on here **** a brick.

Speaking to Liverpool fans this season and he is having one of his best years for quite a few and that the injuries last year took it's toll (although the rumours of illness are still around) on last season and he has recovered fully this year.

His legs haven't gone, he just had a bad game yesterday.

Love this thread. When we read other sites ignorantly throwing around cliches.

Speaking to Liverpool fans this season and he is having one of his best years for quite a few and that the injuries last year took it's toll (although the rumours of illness are still around) on last season and he has recovered fully this year.

His legs haven't gone, he just had a bad game yesterday.

Hilarious isn't it. His legs have gone and he only gets picked to keep the scousers happy by a sh*t manager according to this forum. :lol:

Oh come on, say what you like about Gerrard but you cannot say he is over rated. He has been and still is a fantastic player.

Na, honesly never rated him that much, scores the odd spectacular goal and is an honest player but really proves how low we are on true footballing talent in this country if Gerrard is regarded as a legend.

I can count on one hand the truly great games he has had for England and I think the only reason he is popular is because of his bulldog spirit. Great player no way.

Hilarious isn't it. His legs have gone and he only gets picked to keep the scousers happy by a sh*t manager according to this forum. :lol:

And speaking of people talking **** just for the sake of it:

http://forums.liverpoolfc.com/threads/334213-Do-you-rate-Morgan-Schneiderlin/page2?

Pete752:

I'd take Lallana in a heart beat. Been outstanding for the Saints this season.

Partly caused IIRC correctly by a succession of England managers playing him on the left in a 4-4-2 rather than building a team around him as they should have done.

Scholes was fed up with England being exploited with the sole intention of marketing David Beckham.

I don't think that any English player of the last 10 years could truly be described as world class - even at their best. They consistently demonstrated that at all international competitions. Who would truly have made a world 11 - including bench? I am afraid that in England there is a tendency to outrageously overrate the better English players. Roooney's good - but world class - I don't think so.

Looking forward to our Dad's army (Cole, Parker, Lampard, Carrick, Gerrard, Rooney (...well he looks old and likes women of a certain age)) performing in the heat of Brazil (if we get there of course......). and Glen Johnson is a fatty btw.....

Lets send our cavalry straight at the cannons ........as bloody usual :facepalm:

I don't think that any English player of the last 10 years could truly be described as world class - even at their best. They consistently demonstrated that at all international competitions. Who would truly have made a world 11 - including bench? I am afraid that in England there is a tendency to outrageously overrate the better English players. Roooney's good - but world class - I don't think so.

Well it partly depends on your definition of "world class". I've generally considered it to be one of the top five or so players in your position.

I'd say Ashley Cole has been that consistently over the last decade.