Chelsea build up thread

Wiggles31

Either we won't get anything out of the game or we will give them a real spanking the boy predicted draws for both City and Liverpool (his last two home games) but is saying we'll beat Chelsea easy :-/ uh oh !

It'll be interesting to see how Chelsea approach this, with the FA Cup replay on the Monday... I cannot see all of Mata/Hazard/Oscar/Ramires/Ba starting, particularly with a full international week before hand as well.

Also interested in how Saints approach the game. We so often recently seem a little rusty and lack-lustre after a break. Not confident that either team will be playing their best, so the spoils could go either way.

2-2 hopefully, or a 2-1 win if Shaw is fit.

Hope so.

Lets hope they rest Hazard, Mata, Lampard, and the rest too :)

I'd by far rather face Ba than Torres, don't rate Ba over highly, too erratic. Torres is still a hard player to handle. Ba is up and down, the middle, Torres is everywhere and dangerous if his stuff comes off.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I'd by far rather face Ba than Torres, don't rate Ba over highly, too erratic. Torres is still a hard player to handle. Ba is up and down, the middle, Torres is everywhere and dangerous if his stuff comes off.

But Ba has scored both times he played against us.

I can't see them playing too weak a side. Surely finishing in the top four is more important to them than the FA cup?

As Rafa Benítez knows he is leaving no matter what, he may prioritse a trophy win in the FA Cup or Europa League.

And with Chelsea playing Saints on the Saturday, Man Utd on the Monday, Rubin Kazan on the Thursday and Sunderland on the Sunday - that is 4 games in 8 days!!! He'd be daft not to rotate.

As Rafa Benítez knows he is leaving no matter what, he may prioritse a trophy win in the FA Cup or Europa League.

And with Chelsea playing Saints on the Saturday, Man Utd on the Monday, Rubin Kazan on the Thursday and Sunderland on the Sunday - that is 4 games in 8 days!!! He'd be daft not to rotate.

In fact I'd say the plan is 3rd in the PL, win the Cup and make the final of the Europa League. Rafa won't want to get beaten in the Cup Replay, we all know how it stands between he and Sir Alex. Plus they'll have a shedload of players coming back from international duties.

does anyone have a list of chesea's international call ups and where they are playing ? I know they have a few in the Brazil squad playing Italy tonight in Geneva and Russia at Stamford Bridge on Monday. only friendlies but hopefully tough games and they pick up some knocks.

does anyone have a list of chesea's international call ups and where they are playing ? I know they have a few in the Brazil squad playing Italy tonight in Geneva and Russia at Stamford Bridge on Monday. only friendlies but hopefully tough games and they pick up some knocks.

well that would be Cech playing for Czech Rep on Friday and again next Wednesday

Cole+Lampard for England Friday and Wednesday

Azpilicueta and Mata for Spain, (Finland Friday+France mercredi)

Ba for Senegal against err Angola on Saturday

Hazard for Belgium home and away against Macedonia Friday and Wednesday

Ivanovic must be playing for Serbia somewhere, unless he's injured

Obi Mikel and Moses will have a game for Nigeria on Saturday, Kenya I believe

There must be a couple of others and then there are the Brazilians.

well that would be Cech playing for Czech Rep on Friday and again next Wednesday

Cole+Lampard for England Friday and Wednesday

Azpilicueta and Mata for Spain, (Finland Friday+France mercredi)

Ba for Senegal against err Angola on Saturday

Hazard for Belgium home and away against Macedonia Friday and Wednesday

Ivanovic must be playing for Serbia somewhere, unless he's injured

Obi Mikel and Moses will have a game for Nigeria on Saturday, Kenya I believe

There must be a couple of others and then there are the Brazilians.

thanks , although international dates are Friday - Tuesday (not Wednesday) with some playing tonight and Monday like England U21s and Brazil so they'll have recovery time. hopefully European players have knocks and the Africans have travel disruption and return late . really hope Benitez keeps back players for the Monday and we take advantage.

Brazil v Italy live on itv4 7.30 kick off tonight by the way.

Their last 3 away games in PL:

Reading - D 2–2

Newcastle - L 3-2

Man City - L 2-0

And defeat at Steaua Bucharest in that time too.

Also been beaten at West Ham and West Brom and been held at QPR & Swansea this season.

We're definitely capable of getting something against them, of that I am sure. My biggest concern is the international break. Our record is terrible after any kind of break in fixtures this season, lost every game I think, and they have all followed wins.

That said, I think our high pressing tactics and pressurising the opposition into mistakes should work well against Chelsea, another team that like to get the ball down and pass it which suits us. It's only when we come up against long ball merchants that we come un stuck.

Chelsea will have a lot of players on international duty the week before hand, more than us I assure although the majority of our star performers haven't had a call up anyway. And with 4 games in 8 days Benitez will have to rotate too. Ofcourse they have a lot of very good players who on their day could cause us a lot of damage, but so did Liverpool, and so did City.

Had a gut feeling we'd beat Liverpool when I woke up Saturday morning, despite predicting a defeat all week. Got that same feeling we will beat Chelsea.

3-2 Saints, same score line we beat them by in the last season at the Dell.

A draw would be a very good result. We're measurable underdogs, surely?

After this match, only Spurs away looks really tricky. We should easily avoid relegation really. \We probably only need another 4 or 5 points and we will probably get 10-12.

I wouldn't be surprised with 3 points from this, the only thing that bugs me is our record after returning from breaks.

We definitely need investment in two or 3 players with pace to unlock teams who get men behind the ball...

I've got great hopes for JRod in the coming seasons. I think with time he'll prove a very fruitful and wise investment.

"3-2 Saints, same score line we beat them by in the last season at the Dell."

Yeah, remember that - we were 2-0 up and they equalised with about 10 min to go, got the '2-0 and you f*****d it up' chant, then Beatts scored in the 90th! Cue ' 2 all and you f*****d it up!' Same again would be good....

Sadly, Martin Atkinson is the ref at the weekend.

Im not sure there are really any "good refs" anymore but if they are all bad then Atkinson is the worst of a bad bunch. Already had a couple of shockers at SMS this season.

If beating Newcaste 2-0 and Man Citeh 3-1 are shockers we need plenty more of those.