The Luke Shaw Rumour thread

Saint Garrett

People are forgetting. The 30m goes into the Liebherr bank account. Whether we see any of it is up to them.

Gone are the days when it was our money.

Unfortunately this is probably true, people assuming £30m will go to building a new team are very mistaken in my eyes. Will probably just service the remaining debt. I may be a bit sceptical at the moment, but these new guys are dragging their heels on too many things from what I can sense from the outside. I may be totally wrong....but there have seriously been some things that could have been cleared up, done, dusted and put to bed by now...but we've heard nothing. Silence speaks a thousand words.

People are forgetting. The 30m goes into the Liebherr bank account. Whether we see any of it is up to them.

No, it goes into the club's account.

In the last two seasons since returning to the Premier League Saints have spent...

2012/13 - £37m

2013/14 - £36m

Both whilst under the ownership of Katharina Liebherr.

Saints don't have to sell Shaw, and are likely to spend in the summer regardless of Shaw going or not. If Shaw goes for £30m that is additional money on top of circa £17m prize money, the huge amount of TV money, sponsorship money etc.

Because that is so much money to spend on a full-back for a team of our size it is disproportionate to everything we've done ever. If we have £8-12m to spend on a player I'd much rather it be a striker or centre-half. I don't see how it is assumed that if we got £30m for Shaw that we'd spend £10m on his replacement. I genuinely think it is crazy.

EDIT: Here is an example. When we sold Chamberlain for £12m and signed De Ridder for whatever it was. That'll happen again.

How is it completely disproportionate? How much did we spend on Lovren? How much did Wanyama cost? It's not beyond the realms of possibility that after selling our left back for £30m we spend 75% of what we spent on a Centre Back a year ago on a Left Back replacement is it.

Unfortunately this is probably true, people assuming £30m will go to building a new team are very mistaken in my eyes. Will probably just service the remaining debt.

Saints will get circa £17m in prize money for an 8th place finish. Why "use" the Shaw money to cover debts of Osvaldo and Ramirez when other income covers it? Osvaldo will also likely to be sold, might not get what we paid but it will bring a reasonable amount in.

When was it ever 'our money'? Is the current £27m debt 'our debt' or the owners? If it is 'our debt' then you may have a point otherwise.......

Unfortunately this is probably true, people assuming £30m will go to building a new team are very mistaken in my eyes. Will probably just service the remaining debt. I may be a bit sceptical at the moment, but these new guys are dragging their heels on too many things from what I can sense from the outside. I may be totally wrong....but there have seriously been some things that could have been cleared up, done, dusted and put to bed by now...but we've heard nothing. Silence speaks a thousand words.

This report still worries me: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/16/katharina-liebherr-southampton-football-owner-german-markus

Southampton fans desperately scouring the internet for information on Katharina Liebherr, the little-known figure who is now owner and chair of their club after the sudden departure of Nicola Cortese, will be hoping that the story of a small printing company in Bern does not prove prophetic.

Her billionaire father, Markus Liebherr, who rescued the ailing Saints from administration and League One when he paid £14m for the club in 2009, had a wide portfolio of business interests through his company Mali Holdings.

A few months after buying Southampton he bailed out a struggling printing company in Bern, saving 50 jobs and those of 72 apprentices and becoming known as the "Wifag saviour".

After his death at the age of 62 in August 2010 and the subsequent inheritance of Mali Holdings by Katharina, she decided to make 31 employees redundant and has since been accused of failing to set a new direction for the company.

The Swiss newspaper Der Bund said that while Mali initially said that Katharina would continue her father's work, "it has become increasingly clear in recent months that Mali can't sort out the successorship".

One employee at Wifag was quoted saying: "With the death of the patron, the chicken has lost its head. For a while it continued wandering around without a sense of direction, then it bled to death." [/Quote]

Service what debt? What are they dragging their heels over?

Service what debt? What are they dragging their heels over?

The debt they've spoken about? ''We've inherited a very difficult financial situation''

Contracts, MP, direction the club is going in......all pretty much up in the air at the moment, seems a big PR exercise in showing face, saying the right stuff etc etc...but nothing is actually happening at the moment (apart from season tickets going up...!)

MP should have been signed up long before now, have no idea why negotiations haven't been started.

The debt they've spoken about? ''We've inherited a very difficult financial situation''

Contracts, MP, direction the club is going in......all pretty much up in the air at the moment, seems a big PR exercise in showing face, saying the right stuff etc etc...but nothing is actually happening at the moment (apart from season tickets going up...!)

MP should have been signed up long before now, have no idea why negotiations haven't been started.

But what "debt"? Are you saying that our outgoings next season are currently higher than our income? By how much?

I'd like MP to sign a new contract, but it's not like his current one is going to run out tomorrow, yes it would be good for the club, but who knows the reason for the delay? You think the club are simply dragging their feet over it? And what else are they dragging their feet over apart from MP's contract?

The MP stuff is most bizarre.

The club says they really want to keep him and are "fighting to".

MP says they haven't talked to him about a new contract. Bizarre and if true shocking.

When were these days you are referring to?

I don't know who, if anyone, will be sold. I looked back to last summer and everyone, including the guardian, were convinced Shaw was leaving. You could argue Saints moving on, Shaw playing internationally and him signing a 5 year contract makes it less likely.

All we know is;

KL has funded the period with highest transfer investment in club's history.

The club have said players the manager wants won't be sold

The club have said money available for transfers.

I'm 50/50 whether he will stay. The fee is large, but there are few players playing internationally at his age - he potentially could command a bigger fee in 3 years.

I cannot see anyway the club will lose all the players reported as off - Shaw, Chambers, Lovren, Cork, Schneiderlin and Lallana.

Newsnow is depressing reading right now!

The only accurate part of this post is you saying you have no idea.

Especially as half of it was wasted.

Sure, fe, mistakes made, but happens everywhere.... But to those debating whether a 30mil sale of Shaw would be spent or not is to me the wrong question. Even if we spend 30mil on 2 or 3 players, unless we get someone as good as or better than Shaw at LB, we will be weaker. It's always riskier trying to improve through spending. Hanging on to what we have is far more important, but sadly this board have shown no public indication of having the stomach for the sort of strategy that would encourage this talent to stay... So far...

Exactly that money was spent by a bloke who was more than liberal with other people's cash. He got the push which suggests they weren't too pleased.

She took her time about it then. Someone spending £73m of my money over two seasons. I think I'd have noticed a bit sooner.

Sure' date=' fe, mistakes made, but happens everywhere.... But to those debating whether a 30mil sale of Shaw would be spent or not is to me the wrong question. Even if we spend 30mil on 2 or 3 players, unless we get someone as good as or better than Shaw at LB, we will be weaker. It's always riskier trying to improve through spending. Hanging on to what we have is far more important, but sadly this board have shown no public indication of having the stomach for the sort of strategy that would encourage this talent to stay... So far...[/quote']

Its seems the Liebherrs aren't as blaze about £35m worth of mistakes,just in the transfer market since promotion to the premier league as you are Franco!!!

As for your laughable last comment, I presume you've forgotten about the quote that we won't sell anyone MP doesn't want to? if that was your departed hero saying that you'd be fawning all over the comment and using it as evidence of his ambition and as to how the media are all lying as Cortese has said he is not for sale. What's your Agenda Franco?

Edited by Turkish

Not like you to be so negative, have you been here too long ? :lol:

To be fair you have absolutely no idea nothing is happening re MP, contracts etc so its all conjecture.

And for those saying MP has said the club haven't discussed contracts with him, remember he said he had no idea NC was going until the day it happened as well. He plays his cards close to his chest does Mr Pochettino.

Exactly that money was spent by a bloke who was more than liberal with other people's cash. He got the push which suggests they weren't too pleased.

Whoa fella...bit economical with the truth there. Cortese had a mandate from Marcus to run the club and did so for circa 2 years under KL. If you could call the spending liberal, then it was with the clubs money, not "other peoples" as you claim. And lastly, there is little if any factual evidence to suggest he "got the push" - in fact the evidence suggests it was more akin to constructive dismissal. Fact is, under Cortese we managed to keep hold of Shaw et al. Will the same be said of the new management team?

You think 18 year old left backs of Shaw's quality are a "dime a dozen"? I agree that it's notthe end of the world if we got a huge amount ofmoney and reinvest it well, but lets not pretend he wouldn't be a loss.

He would be a loss, but there are plenty of Left backs available, as I said, not of Lukes standard but a left back (when you receive a £30 million transfer fee) would be allot easier to replace than a 25-30 goal a season striker or some form of midfield playmaker.

Sure' date=' fe, mistakes made, but happens everywhere.... But to those debating whether a 30mil sale of Shaw would be spent or not is to me the wrong question. Even if we spend 30mil on 2 or 3 players, unless we get someone as good as or better than Shaw at LB, we will be weaker. It's always riskier trying to improve through spending. Hanging on to what we have is far more important, but sadly this board have shown no public indication of having the stomach for the sort of strategy that would encourage this talent to stay... So far...[/quote']

No public indication, eh Franko?

You missed this then?

Funny really, because you seem to have memorised by heart the pie-in-the-sky fairy stories the Italian fantasist came out with.

"Right now, the only thing I can say, whether we speak about Mauricio or the players, is that what we have here is very good and we are doing everything in our power to keep this group together. We are going to create a culture that this is just an excellent organisation to be a part of at all levels. Whatever the dynamics of football or the situations that can evolve outside of Southampton do to us as we move forward, we will just keep moving forward. But there has been no talk of selling anything."

"We feel very comfortable that we have a plan that can deal with the situation and we are definitely not factoring in a big player sale," he says. "We're pretty sure that there are no more surprises and that being the case, we feel comfortable that we're going to be good. And that we will be able to keep this group together."

Looks to me you only read what you want to, and if it isn't some vague promise to get in the top four, you start having one of your little tantrums about how depressing it is to finish as low as eighth.

Its seems the Liebherrs aren't as blaze about £35m worth of mistakes,just in the transfer market since promotion to the premier league as you are Franco!!!

As for your laughable last comment, I presume you've forgotten about the quote that we won't sell anyone MP doesn't want to? if that was your departed hero saying that you'd be fawning all over the comment and using it as evidence of his ambition and as to how the media are all lying and Cortese has said he is not for sale. What's your Agenda Franco?

No agenda, just honest opinion... Never been shy of stating my support for Strategy Cortese was trying to implement... Irrespective of what some gossip, or rumour is posted about his personality, or your childish comments on his height... It's not about his personality, liking him or not, never has been, just about what is being done. Mistakes have been made, and they are costly, but you think KL and the ice hokey guy won't make errors in the transfer market? All clubs do.... They will as well and won't be written off with some childish reference to weight, as you seem to do... My last comment is based on actions, not simply accepting PR written copy... As with Cortese, I never gave a shied what he spouted in his few interviews, words mean nothing, it's actions that count. When we see some from KL and Kruger in the summer we will know what their strategy is, before then it's a tad naive of you to believe everything you read... It's also naive not to recognise why the other guy tried to spin normal transfer commitments/payments, as something 'concerning'...

No agenda' date=' just honest opinion... Never been shy of stating my support for Strategy Cortese was trying to implement... Irrespective of what some gossip, or rumour is posted about his personality, or your childish comments on his height... It's not about his personality, liking him or not, never has been, just about what is being done. Mistakes have been made, and they are costly, but you think KL and the ice hokey guy won't make errors in the transfer market? All clubs do.... They will as well and won't be written off with some childish reference to weight, as you seem to do... My last comment is based on actions, not simply accepting PR written copy... As with Cortese, I never gave a shied what he spouted in his few interviews, words mean nothing, it's actions that count. When we see some from KL and Kruger in the summer we will know what their strategy is, before then it's a tad naive of you to believe everything you read... It's also naive not to recognise why the other guy tried to spin normal transfer commitments/payments, as something 'concerning'...[/quote']

So if its based on actions then how do you defend your hero selling Oxlainde chamberlain? Why didn't he buy into the vision? Cortese is on record as saying we won't sell him but when his resolve was tested he didn't have the stomach for the fight, as you've accused the current board of. Must have all been PR written copy, right? We don't know for certain if we've ever received a bid for Shaw, you can't trust those journos can you! so we don't know if Cortese would have sold him or not, let's be blunt, his track record of keeping young players when we get a bid isn't good if AOC is anything to go by!

can't really blame cortese for selling want-away youngster in the last year of contract for £12m, particularly when we're in lower league

Edit: Sorry i didn't read properly, just realised we're trolling on frank. Cortese is dumb!

Edited by Bearsy

My last comment is based on actions' date=' not simply accepting PR written copy... As with Cortese, I never gave a shied what he spouted in his few interviews, words mean nothing, it's actions that count. When we see some from KL and Kruger in the summer we will know what their strategy is, before then it's a tad naive of you to believe everything you read... It's also naive not to recognise why the other guy tried to spin normal transfer commitments/payments, as something 'concerning'...[/quote']

You so realise you've spent the last six months swooning like a girl over the "ask not if...but how" stuff. Pure PR, pure vacuous spin.

And if it is all about actions then Cortese got us absolutely nowhere near the top four. And he sold Oxlade Chamberlain too. Gosh.

And "normal" financial commitments to you is what? You want us to keep spending until we are as screwed over as other clubs? Maybe the Portsmouth model, Franklin?

For someone who claims to see through spin and PR, you swallowed everything Cortese spun whole, including the poison he fed to friendly Journos just after his departure about how doomed we were.

Edited by CB Fry

If the link from the Manchester journalist is to be believed Shaw wants it sorted either way before then, which is understandable sort of.

That's one line I'd be particularly wary of. You can see why Shaw might feel that way (so he can focus on England) but there are all kinds of reasons United would plant that line without a modicum of truth. They'll want it done early not only to appease the fans but because a good World Cup drives Shaw's price up even further.

That's one line I'd be particularly wary of. You can see why Shaw might feel that way (so he can focus on England) but there are all kinds of reasons United would plant that line without a modicum of truth. They'll want it done early not only to appease the fans but because a good World Cup drives Shaw's price up even further.
But if Saints decide to go through with the deal, we might want it done and dusted so we can plan accordingly, rather than dragging on towards the end of the transfer window. Edited by Sour Mash

But if Saints decide to go through with the deal, we miht want it done and dusted so we can plan accordingly, rather than dragging on towards the end of the transfer window.

I think they'd take the chance because one eye-catching run, assist or even goal at the World Cup and his price goes up again. If anything really special happens you might even get foreign clubs involved.

I think they'd take the chance because one eye-catching run, assist or even goal at the World Cup and his price goes up again. If anything really special happens you might even get foreign clubs involved.

I doubt his price will go up from £30m

Exactly. The people that would be after Shaw will have spent months watching and assessing him, preparing a bid etc, not waiting to chuck on another £5m because he made a good run against Costa Rica.

£30m is already a ridiculous price

It will only be an English club that will pay anything near that. So that will be all of 3 clubs. 1 of which have two very decent left backs (city)

When you look at what players in world football go for £30m, you realise how vastly over priced that is. Which makes you wonder if saints will take the money and take their chances.

I was of the understanding that Shaw is a chelsea fan and wants to go there, so why would he sign for Man U?

Ultimately, if we can sell him for £30m AND improve our 1st team and squad with that money (plus whatever other budget we have), an improvement that we otherwise couldn't do, then we should sell.

If we sell and don't improve our squad, then its a very bad move.

I was of the understanding that Shaw is a chelsea fan and wants to go there, so why would he sign for Man U?

The Guardian story says that Chelsea pulled out of the race when they saw what United were prepared to pay. They may have bags of money but that's not unreasonable.

The benefit from Shaw's perspective is that he would go to United as their long-term starting left-back - either straight into the team or integrated over a season with Evra as his mentor. Not sure Chelsea could guarantee him that with Azpilicueta and the other boy they've got.

I agree with this totally.

I've got a bad feeling about the whole thing tbh but time will tell......

To be fair we heard feck all about transfer when cortese was in charge.

We are hardly going to announce that we are spending big this summer, that will just lead to clubs putting the price up. How much money will united waste now that everyone knows they intend to splash over £100m this summer?

I suspect we'll sell for £30m and get £5-10m for rebuilding from that, with the rest going to service debt.

Pretty much every club pays for transfers in instalments and have outstanding transfer fees to pay, this isn't unique to Saints.

Saints will get circa £17m this summer just as prize money for an 8th place finish. Let alone next season's TV money, selling Osvaldo and removing Sharp, Forte, Barnard, Hooiveld etc from the wage bill which will fee up money to be used elsewhere. They also should be able to get a better sponsorship deal than they had with aap3.

Edited by Matthew Le God

What debt, what is this debt, we owe a few transfer fees, surely the PL handout will cover that, what's the rest of this debt ????

every single club owes transfer fees. it's how it works

the club are doing well in getting fans mentioning the word debt.

every single club owes transfer fees. it's how it works

the club are doing well in getting fans mentioning the word debt.

Exactly. What we owe is minimal vs income. The fact they made such a big deal out of it was a conscious ploy IMO.

Its not so much debt as running costs of a football club in the PL.

Exactly. What we owe is minimal vs income. The fact they made such a big deal out of it was a conscious ploy IMO.

Its not so much debt as running costs of a football club in the PL.

Confucius he say "watch the ball, not the man"