They've got Brett Ormerod, They've got Brett Ormerod....

RedWillie

inspired by this thread I found the game (FA Trophy final - played at Wembley) on some obscure thread and quite enjoyed the game. Boring 0-0 at HT turned into a real game in second half.

Brett Ormerod had a couple of good chances ....including a fantastic header from 10 yards out which grazed the crossbar and went over, before Grimsby eventually scored in a goalmouth scramble.

Wrexham turned up the pressure, but Grimsby's young keeper McKeown kept them in the game with a couple of saves any international keeper would have been proud of, but he was beaten by a penalty after an Albanien U21 winger named Cieslewicz came on as Brett's sub - repeatedly tore through the Grimsby defence - was eventually floored and Wrexham equalised from the resulting penalty.

Grimsby's keeper kept out Wrexham shots left, right and centre..but his luck ran out after extra time, when Wrexham ran out worthy winners after winning the penalty shoot-out 4-1.

I was pleasantly surprised by the standard which looked just as good as any L1 game, and look to see how Wrexham (a good few points ahead at the top of the Conference) will manage next season - if promoted.

Brett still looked pretty lively ...but the winger Cieslewicz---definitely look as though he's destined for better things !

Edited by david in sweden

One fact .... for we " nerdy statisticians " ;

Brett Ormerod must have some sort of record...in that he played for 3 different club sides at Wembley.

Saints V Arsenal FA Cup Final 2003

Blackpool play-off match winner 2010...and now

FA Trophy winner with Wrexham 2103.

His FA cup final with us was in Cardiff David.

I bet there aren't many that have played in an FA trophy and FA cup final though.

I bet there aren't many that have played in an FA trophy and FA cup final though.

Not quite the same, but Steve Guppy became the first player to win a medal at both the old and new Wembley stadiums; the League Cup with Leicester at old Wembley, the FA Trophy with Stevenage at the new stadium.

Not quite the same, but Steve Guppy became the first player to win a medal at both the old and new Wembley stadiums; the League Cup with Leicester at old Wembley, the FA Trophy with Stevenage at the new stadium.

I played with Steve Guppy once, when he was at Wycombe he turned out for a mutal friends work team. Absolutely class.

Didn't he start at Colden Common?

I think youll find that Steve Guppy actually started at Littleton Juniors. Thats where we both lived and played, in the good old days. We were Littleton but played our matches in Harestock; pretty logical.

Good om yer Brett, our own Steptoe.

THX Turkish, I stand corrected, But that was something similar to what I meant.... I only seem to associate Cup Finals with Wembley..a bit of brain fade when it came to ours....at Cardiff.

I played with Steve Guppy once, when he was at Wycombe he turned out for a mutal friends work team. Absolutely class.

This is more than enough of a claim to lame to get you in the IFC team for the West Brom game...