Saints 2 Chelsea1 Post Match Celebrations

St Chalet

Man of the Match V Chelsea  

443 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match V Chelsea

Epic fail....

OK so who was still in the bar?

Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9961362/Southampton-2-Chelsea-1-match-report.html

The pattern of the match was set from the early exchanges, and Lambert should really have put his side in front in the ninth minute when he humiliated John Terry, who was starting his first Premier League match since last month, with a sublime piece of skill that left him with acres of space in front of Petr Cech’s goal.

The moment was spoiled, however, by Lambert’s tame shot straight at the Chelsea goalkeeper when a pass to the unmarked Jason Puncheon might have been more fruitful.

The Snail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2301479/Southampton-2-Chelsea-1--match-report-Rafa-Benitezs-undone-Jay-Rodriguez-Rickie-Lambert-goals-despite-John-Terry-header.html

Rodriguez got Southampton's first shot away after less than two minutes and was proving a thorn in the visitors' side early on.

The £6million summer signing has looked rejuvenated since Pochettino arrived and his new-found confidence was epitomised by a fantastic dink over Terry's head on the halfway line, before bursting through on goal and testing Petr Cech.

Rodriguez should instead have perhaps played the ball out wide to Jason Puncheon, who soon threatened himself, only to be denied by the onrushing Cech.

I dont see that I'm afraid, today was definitely not a 9 out of 10 from Luke. He was much better second half but first half he was all over the place. In fact I expected him to go off half time, looked like he was struggling with injury a bit. Moses had the beating of him most of the half, sometimes his defending was a bit like he had taken lessons from Fox.

I don't know if he was trying too hard cos it was his boyhood club but I reckon someone got hold of him half time as he was much better after the break.....but not a 9 performance. Now Clyne was a 9 performance......

You're right Clyne was a 9, Shaw was a 6-7, made some good moves but made some mistakes today too (though no Fox level errors)

Absolutely superb, didn't expect a win today. But now I am all messed up should we be hoping for a QPR win to keep us close to Fulham, so confusing...

I want a QPR win so they take some momentum into their game with Wigan next week.

Absolutely superb, didn't expect a win today. But now I am all messed up should we be hoping for a QPR win to keep us close to Fulham, so confusing...

I want a QPR win so they take some momentum into their game with Wigan next week.

Sod that. I want them, their ridiculous wage bill and their saggy faced manager down. Not just down, adrift and hopeless playing no better than when Hughes was sacked. I'd take a few more points from Fulham and Wigan for that. I think they are both staying up anyway.

Is it bad I felt Moses was the only player in the Chelsea team that cared and that when Benayone came on they suddenly seemed much more of a threat??

Especially as I wrote of Moses as the biggest waste of money by Chelsea since Torres...

Must be Chelsea fans!

I agree with the S Davis voters. So effective, but below the radar. Adkins will know exactly how to deal with us, we can't play a pressing game against teams which are sitting back, so MP has to figure out a way of getting past Reading. Chuffed with the result, but would have preferred the points vs QPR, Wigan , Newcastle etc

Sod that. I want them, their ridiculous wage bill and their saggy faced manager down. Not just down, adrift and hopeless playing no better than when Hughes was sacked. I'd take a few more points from Fulham and Wigan for that. I think they are both staying up anyway.

I second that! can't stand saggy chops! We need not look down anymore we need to focus upwards now anyway!

Also have to give Hooiveld some mentioning.

Won a lot of head duels when they were trying the long balls.

Would be interesting to see stats on that from the game.

According to 442 we won 32 out of 52 all over the pitch, but Torres won only 4 of 17. Worth downloading the 442 stats app

Is it bad I felt Moses was the only player in the Chelsea team that cared and that when Benayone came on they suddenly seemed much more of a threat??

Especially as I wrote of Moses as the biggest waste of money by Chelsea since Torres...

Must be Chelsea fans!

I thought exactly the same - everytime I've seen Moses I've been impressed, £7m (?) is very good value.

Great performance, especially first half, and as for commentators who talk about Benitez 'resting' some 'stars', so did Saints, even if Lallana was an enforced rest and Davis may have been preferred over Ramirez because his international game had been a bit closer to home than Ramirez's. But that's what squads are for and Chelsea have the squad they have because those are the players they have bought. No point complaining afterwards that a £50m striker isn't much good if you've lost the receipt or that your number 1 goalkeeper isn't good enough to stop a Rickie Lambert free kick.

Still a shame about our two CBs though. Both give their all for the team but there do seem to be just a few too many mistakes such as yesterday's poor marking when Chelsea scored from the corner kick.

Great performance, especially first half, and as for commentators who talk about Benitez 'resting' some 'stars', so did Saints, even if Lallana was an enforced rest and Davis may have been preferred over Ramirez because his international game had been a bit closer to home than Ramirez's. But that's what squads are for and Chelsea have the squad they have because those are the players they have bought. No point complaining afterwards that a £50m striker isn't much good if you've lost the receipt or that your number 1 goalkeeper isn't good enough to stop a Rickie Lambert free kick.

Still a shame about our two CBs though. Both give their all for the team but there do seem to be just a few too many mistakes such as yesterday's poor marking when Chelsea scored from the corner kick.

Didn't see too many errors from Maya tbh, probably our best CB just now.

Nah, it was hardly a push. It looks like it because Terry puts a hand out to Hooiveld just as he looses his footing and goes sliding. Very unfortunate for Jos who had a good game in fairness. He's improved a lot since Pochettino has come in. Despite wanting Fonte to start yesterday I do think Hooiveld has had some decent games of late.

The sooner Fonte or Forren can get back 100% the better for you imo. I think Hooiveld, although generally strong, always looks to have atleast one mistake in him and its these small margins which have lost you points this season in games you really deserved to win.

Must be Chelsea fans!

I thought Moses was their best player by a long way. Lampard was dreadful. Torres was ok, but Chelsea just gave it to him in the air. Hazard looked class when he came on but obviously Benitez wants him for Monday.

Was the drop ball contested yesterday? Wasn't shown on the highlights.

Yeah and we won it - although the ball ended up back with chelsea. I wasn't aware that you can pick the ball up if you fall over, BUt seems you can if your name is terry or torres.

Yeah and we won it - although the ball ended up back with chelsea. I wasn't aware that you can pick the ball up if you fall over, BUt seems you can if your name is terry or torres.

Not only that, Terry realised he wasn't going to get up and win it ahead of Lambert so he grabbed hold of his legs and held him down. How in god's name is that not a foul?

Hate to rain on the parade and be pedantic, but I will anyway!

Swansea are current League Cup winners

Good point. Swansea weren't the current holders when we played them at home though, so we have a complete sweep of last season's champions?

Chelsea for the Champion's League and FA Cup, Man City for the Premier League, Liverpool for the League Cup, and Reading for the Championship.

Was the drop ball contested yesterday? Wasn't shown on the highlights.

Yep! Second one of yesterday contested, hilarious mess of a rule that one...

I thought Moses was their best player by a long way. Lampard was dreadful. Torres was ok, but Chelsea just gave it to him in the air. Hazard looked class when he came on but obviously Benitez wants him for Monday.

Our midfield shut Lampard out so well for the first half an hour that by the time he started to get the ball more he had no confidence at all and looked like he wanted to go home. That Free kick he blazed over the bar summed his day up perfectly.e

Hazard looked amazing, pretty much untouchable on the ball and charged past about 5 players too often, if he had been on 20 mins earlier the result probably would have gone their way.

Yep! Second one of yesterday contested, hilarious mess of a rule that one...

Our midfield shut Lampard out so well for the first half an hour that by the time he started to get the ball more he had no confidence at all and looked like he wanted to go home. That Free kick he blazed over the bar summed his day up perfectly.e

The earlier one that he put straight into the wall was even more of a perfect summing up. Notice they didn't show that on MOTD highlights.