Gutter Press

Crab Lungs

I'm glad Paolo told them to poke it... absolute w4nkers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/02/paolo-di-canio-sunderland

You mean, you're glad Paolo avoided the question?

Given the bother that authoritarian systems have had on the rest of Europe, you can understand why there is such interest in the term.

I was listening to the Guardian's Football Weekly yesterday. They addressed this issue and James Richardson, the bloke who made his name covering Italian football and whatever else you might think of him, highly regarded for his knowledge there, spoke at length about the way that elements of fascism don't necessarily have a stigma amongst Italians, expanding to explain that they had an a la carte philosophy in assessing its merits. They thought some things were good; others bad.

It's odd, because this is probably the most compassionate treatment of Di Canio's previous statements, yet it's made by the same organisation that is supposedly part of the gutter press.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/series/footballweekly

It's also the same organisation that showed us how far into the gutter the press had really crept. The one that kicked off this whole Leveson business with its reportage into the Milly Dowler case.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jul/04/milly-dowler-voicemail-hacked-news-of-world

C'mon, this is too easy.

elements of fascism don't necessarily have a stigma amongst Italians, expanding to explain that they had an a la carte philosophy in assessing its merits. They thought some things were good; others bad.

yeah that's what i think pap. I like the bits of fascism where Jack Bauer is trompling on people's civil liberties to stop acts of terrorism on US soil, I'm not quite so down with gassing jews.

yeah that's what i think pap. I like the bits of fascism where Jack Bauer is trompling on people's civil liberties to stop acts of terrorism on US soil, I'm not quite so down with gassing jews.

Well they had different examples.

Trains run on time? Good thing.

Murders and state-sponsored killing; bad thing.

Not my view, but that was what Jimbo was going on about.

It's odd, because this is probably the most compassionate treatment of Di Canio's previous statements, yet it's made by the same organisation that is supposedly part of the gutter press.

Unless I totally misread the OP, I dont think Crabby was saying the G was part of the gutter press...

Well they had different examples.

Trains run on time? Good thing.

Murders and state-sponsored killing; bad thing.

Not my view, but that was what Jimbo was going on about.

Yeah, it was an interestingly nuanced look at that cultural difference. Fascism is, it's fair to say, a damaged brand in this country :)

I don't think there are any tenets of fascism that I could agree with. However, it is worth noting that Mussolini's brand of fascism in the early days was not racist and certainly not anti-semitic; in fact his long-term mistress was Jewish and he was initially appalled by Hitler's stance. The fact that he got lured into supporting those beliefs and those monumentally awful crimes devastates his reputation as a man, but clearly in Italy they are able to separate these two phases of his career. In principle that's admirable, although as I say I can find nothing in fascism to admire.

But as pap suggests earlier, and particularly in light of recent high profile incidents of racism (whether or not we should consider them symptomatic of a deeper problem), a vigilant press is entirely justified in scrutinising a man who allies himself to an ethos steeped in race hate and ethnic cleansing. If this scrutiny reached a pitch where a man was being hounded out of a job for his political beliefs then that would be out of order and, well, fascist. But if I were a Sunderland fan I'd want assurances that there wasn't a man at the helm who would allow racism to breed at the club, in its culture, in its recruitment policy, etc.

Unless I totally misread the OP, I dont think Crabby was saying the G was part of the gutter press...

You're right, I wasn't AT ALL. I watched the videos yesterday and rightly or wrongly, the press were basically harassing him. If you've read his autobiography, which I have, it clearly states he believes Mussolini did good and bad things. He had admiration for some things, repulsion for others - and he's got a fair, honest point.

Watching them yesterday try and create a headline out of his beliefs and gloss over what he actually said was disgusting. No wonder people, when given the opportunity, give 'em a smack in the mouth...

(BTW, I always listen to Guardian Football Weekly in the hope that they mention us... they did, briefly. Again!)

You're right, I wasn't AT ALL. I watched the videos yesterday and rightly or wrongly, the press were basically harassing him. If you've read his autobiography, which I have, it clearly states he believes Mussolini did good and bad things. He had admiration for some things, repulsion for others - and he's got a fair, honest point.

Watching them yesterday try and create a headline out of his beliefs and gloss over what he actually said was disgusting. No wonder people, when given the opportunity, give 'em a smack in the mouth...

(BTW, I always listen to Guardian Football Weekly in the hope that they mention us... they did, briefly. Again!)

Yeah, you probably should have put this much effort into your OP, Crab Lungs :D

Football Weekly has been very good lately. They seem to be impressed with us.

Pap giving it the big-lefty-liberal-I-am, again I see.

I kind of sympathise with the guy. He is paid to manage a football team, not run a country. His personal politics shouldn't matter.

People may disagree, with his views, fair enough, but why should he not be allowed to hold his views without being hounded about them repeatedly, simply because you disagree with them?

That guardian article is pathetic. Trying to goad him into a reaction for a story, reminds me of an interview in the NME with Morrissey a few years ago (2007 - I think) where the journo (name escapes me, but he was also a Guardian writer) had no intention of talking about Morrissey's music, just repeatedly asking his views on immigration, despite Mozza repeatedly saying he didn't want to discuss it.

What does a football managers political beliefs have to do with anything? MoPo could be a Facist, a Communist, or anything in between - doesn't make a difference at all. The fact the media insist on hounding him is ridiculous, not like he's been appointed local MP