Whats your drink of choice?

Barry Sanchez

The weekend is here, the National and football is on, what will you be supping?

I myself enjoy beer, cider,wine and of course Champagne, so this weekend it wil be a combination of all but whats your kicking back drink?

Mine is a nice cold bottle of becks or a good bottle of cider.

Bitter......I have to specify the style, if I say beer here it means bubbly yellow ostrich pee. I hate american beer so much that I have to brew my own bitter with imported British malt and hops.

After bitter, then whisky of almost any kind from scotch to moonshine and all the stuff in between.

I like my ales - current favourite that seems to be appearing in more and more pubs is Doom Bar from Cornwall. In summer I like a nice crisp cider as long as it isn't mass-produced, chemical-filled p*sswater like Strongbow or Magners

I enjoy red wine but it gives me a headache so can't drink too much of it.

Not really big on spirits but I do like making liqueurs with whatever fruits I can forage locally. As well as the yearly batch of sloe gin, last year I made some damson & blackberry vodka which turned out really well.

Real Ale. Don't like the light stuff or the bitter bitters - must be only Real Ale drinker from Salisbury who hates HopBack Beers.

The classics 6X, Courage Best or Directors, Doombar, Ringwood Best, Fullers ESB. Over here will take what I can get in a bottle or London Pride/Pedigree semi fizzed in the pub.

Dinner a nice heavy Red Rioja/Cab Sab/Chianti.

Evenings a VERY long slow Bacardi & Coke in a pint glass with a twist of lemon.

And of course Bullfrogs when we go to Rock Bottom over here

Whisky sour, dark and stormy.

London Pride, ESB, HSB, Hobgoblin, Oxford Gold, Bengal Lancer, Old Peculiar, Broadside, Black Sheep.

Nice choice there! I've had all those ales, except for the Bengal Lancer. Who makes that? What's it like? I really like the Hobgoblin (one of my favourites) and the Black Sheep.

I also really enjoy an occasional Gin Martini. And make it in a real production number: first, place the martini glasses in the freezer for at least half an hour; then nearly fill a metal cocktail shaker with large cubes of freshly made ice; measure and then place into the shaker 2 parts of high-quality gin to half a part of white vermouth; seal the shaker and then shake the **** out of the container - about 20 vigorous shakes; pour the contents through a strainer into the frozen glasses; finally, place a cocktail stick that has stabbed and impaled three, large, pitted green olives. Drink relatively slowly, with the olives soaking - but finish it before it warms. Nice and cold is best! Bottoms up!

American craft beer, particularly hoppy IPAs (Ohio, have you not tried these?)

They cost an arm and a leg. Some are quite good, but many are overdone with the more is better mentality. I prefer an ordinary bitter, you can't really find anything low key going the craft brewery route. Of course I enjoy the occasional craft beer, but brewing my own I get 10 gallons at a time of lower ABV so I can drink more!! :D

American craft beer, particularly hoppy IPAs (Ohio, have you not tried these?) So much so, we're brewing our own to pretty good results.

When in England, English ales.

Cocktails - g&t, mojito

Milk

The mojito is said to originate in Cuba. It was a favourite cocktail of Ernest Hemingway. He said: "My mojito in La Bodeguita; my daiquiri in El Floridita." I passed by both of these establishments in Havana a month ago - during the March Break. Didn't go in - much too crowded, and both are "tourist traps", to be honest.

I did hang out for lunch on the roof-top restaurant at Hemingway's favourite hotel in Havana - The Ambos Mundos Hotel. He always stayed in the same room on the fifth floor. It's now set up as a museum - and they display items borrowed from his house just outside Havana - Finca Vigia. Appropriately, I sipped on a mojito whilst enjoying the view over the rooftops of the old part of Havana - La Habana Vieja.

Can you name a few. I don't think any are available over here, but you never know - they might show up some time.

Six Bells and Three Tuns in Bishop's Castle, Joules of Market Drayton, Hobson's, Woods, Ludlow Brewery for starters?

Edited by Shroppie

They cost an arm and a leg. Some are quite good, but many are overdone with the more is better mentality. I prefer an ordinary bitter, you can't really find anything low key going the craft brewery route. Of course I enjoy the occasional craft beer, but brewing my own I get 10 gallons at a time of lower ABV so I can drink more!! :D

I miss my Old Speckled Hen fueled Match Day Fred's with you on you Home brew - what was it you called it again?

Six Bells and Three Tuns in Bishop's Castle, Joules of Market Drayton, Hobson's, Woods, Ludlow Brewery for starters?

I was in Market Drayton for an afternoon last summer (I used to attend a boarding school nearby in the mid-60s). Had a couple of pints in The Crown. Don't remember the name of the ale, but I certainly would have asked for some local stuff.

All the beers I've had from the Salopian Brewery have been excellent, as are the beers from the Titanic Brewery in Stoke on Trent, top draw stuff.

I miss my Old Speckled Hen fueled Match Day Fred's with you on you Home brew - what was it you called it again?

Gnaughty Gnome. :D I'm making it a bit lower ABV these days though. That's the advantage of making your own, you can maintain the level of taste profile you want, but tinker with the alcohol. :)

Nice choice there! I've had all those ales, except for the Bengal Lancer. Who makes that? What's it like? I really like the Hobgoblin (one of my favourites) and the Black Sheep.

Bengal Lancer is a Fuller's IPA.

I was in Market Drayton for an afternoon last summer (I used to attend a boarding school nearby in the mid-60s). Had a couple of pints in The Crown. Don't remember the name of the ale, but I certainly would have asked for some local stuff.

The Red Lion is the Joules Brewery Tap. Newish brewery attached.

Btw, I work Market Drayton.

Real Ale. Don't like the light stuff or the bitter bitters - must be only Real Ale drinker from Salisbury who hates HopBack Beers.

How can anyone hate Hopback???

Sorry Phil, thought you were a pretty clued-up sort of guy, but now gone down seriously in my estimation. ;)

The Red Lion is the Joules Brewery Tap. Newish brewery attached.

Btw, I work Market Drayton.

I was at school in Cheswardine ('65-'68 ). An interesting pub near there is the Wharf Tavern - right on the Shropshire Union Canal. I was there, too, last summer. Ever been there? Nice to sit out in the sun and watch the barges go by.

If you follow the Canal north towards MD, you come to a small, picturesque lock. Again, fun to watch the barges negotiate their way through.

I was at school in Cheswardine ('65-'68 ). An interesting pub near there is the Wharf Tavern - right on the Shropshire Union Canal. I was there, too, last summer. Ever been there? Nice to sit out in the sun and watch the barges go by.

If you follow the Canal north towards MD, you come to a small, picturesque lock. Again, fun to watch the barges negotiate their way through.

Yes, used to go there occasionally when my daughters were young for Sunday lunch. Assume you mean Tyrley locks where I also used to Erin when fit enough!

And to be very pedantic, they're narrow boats not barges. But fun anyway.

Yes, used to go there occasionally when my daughters were young for Sunday lunch. Assume you mean Tyrley locks where I also used to Erin when fit enough!

And to be very pedantic, they're narrow boats not barges. But fun anyway.

Yeah, that's the spot - near The Four Alls Inn.

Thanks for the correction. Didn't know that - to me, all boats on a canal are barges!

Yeah, that's the spot - near The Four Alls Inn.

Thanks for the correction. Didn't know that - to me, all boats on a canal are barges!

Canal buffs (I'm not one but have enjoyed canal holidays) get wound up about it. Barges are 15ft wide. Narrow boats 7ft to fit the narrow locks.

Another useless bit of trivia.

I also really enjoy an occasional Gin Martini. And make it in a real production number: first, place the martini glasses in the freezer for at least half an hour; then nearly fill a metal cocktail shaker with large cubes of freshly made ice; measure and then place into the shaker 2 parts of high-quality gin to half a part of white vermouth; seal the shaker and then shake the **** out of the container - about 20 vigorous shakes; pour the contents through a strainer into the frozen glasses; finally, place a cocktail stick that has stabbed and impaled three, large, pitted green olives. Drink relatively slowly, with the olives soaking - but finish it before it warms. Nice and cold is best! Bottoms up!

This is NOT how you make a martini. For a start you should never shake the ingredients, always stir. Secondly you only want the vermouth to line the glass, with the surplus vermouth poured back out if necessary. I agree regarding it needing to be very chilled, and also your use of the olives

This is NOT how you make a martini. For a start you should never shake the ingredients, always stir. Secondly you only want the vermouth to line the glass, with the surplus vermouth poured back out if necessary. I agree regarding it needing to be very chilled, and also your use of the olives

Yes it is - my way. Shaken, not stirred!