Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

SimonPeach: Senior PL club figure told me Cortese starts negotiations with "if this gets out, the deal is off". Not sure how that impacts reported deals

Obviously false going by our most recent signings. They've all been 'leaked' in the press somewhere in the world and have completed without a hitch.

Do you actually take such rankings seriously?

Not as long as England is in the top ten.... :)

Seriously, of course not. Just wanted to make a point that we just signed a international from another big country in Europe and in my view Lovren is more sure on his place in Croatia than Osvaldo is in Italy. And we´ve also been heavily linked to Astori. And I´m not sure that is a closed case yet, despite what their chairman has said.

It´s a new day, Saints will have possibilities to sign internationals from big countries.

Beat Brazil at home and drew away. Don't be a sheep. #notasbadaspeopleliketothink

We beat Spain some time ago too, but when it comes to propoer games we struggle. Seeing us run ragged by Italy in the Euros showed how limited we are.

We're certainly not awful (even competing in a major tournament is a dream for most countries) but we're not as good as we could be considering the quality of our domestic league. Look at the top three leagues in Europe - Spain, Germany, Italy. These are also, you'd argue, the top three national teams. Something's not quite right that we're so far behind the elite.

I dont believe nc would cancel a deal because someone spoke out. He would be an idiot if so.

I do not agree, although you may miss on some targets, I believe you will have more chance of making top singings, without entering a bidding war. I love top transfer gossip, but believe NC does thing the right way.

I do not agree, although you may miss on some targets, I believe you will have more chance of making top singings, without entering a bidding war. I love top transfer gossip, but believe NC does thing the right way.
What difference does it make?

But to be fair the player is probably saying hes received our offer, as they want to basically wait for any other offers, from bigger clubs who demand higher wages.

Well the fact that the player didn't sign the offer made suggests that anyway. One of the main reasons deals take so long is because of players and agents holding out to see who makes the best offer depending on what currently motivates them.

Well so far over the last three years we have heard about almost every single player long before they signed so it's clearly nonsense.

Well so far over the last three years we have heard about almost every single player long before they signed so it's clearly nonsense.

Have we? The only Premier League signing I heard about before the day of announcement was Ramirez. Before that there may have been a little more talk but perhaps we have a stronger negotiating position now. Maybe the fact he went to the press is one of the reasons it took so long to wrap up the Ramirez deal, who knows?

You think clubs find out which players are available through the media?

The media are certainly one source. If they weren't, agents wouldn't bother feeding them.

Edited by DuncanRG

Have we? The only Premier League signing I heard about before the day of announcement was Ramirez. Before that there may have been a little more talk but perhaps we have a stronger negotiating position now. Perhaps the fact he went to the press is one of the reasons it took so long to wrap up the Ramirez deal, who knows?

The media are certainly one source - more for which clubs are bidding and how much than the availability of players. If they weren't, agents wouldn't bother feeding them.

All of our signings have been reported in the media before they happen. Most clubs already know who their targets are and who is available.

Of course, but agents feed the media with potential asking prices, wages, bids and clubs who are interested. It jacks up prices and gets their clients a better cut.

I read the media a fair bit and honestly didn't see anything for Mayuka, Forren, Gazzaniga, or Davis before they signed. I read about Rodriguez in the morning before it was announced, and Yoshida I think the same or possibly the day before.

Have we? The only Premier League signing I heard about before the day of announcement was Ramirez. Before that there may have been a little more talk but perhaps we have a stronger negotiating position now. Maybe the fact he went to the press is one of the reasons it took so long to wrap up the Ramirez deal, who knows?

The media are certainly one source. If they weren't, agents wouldn't bother feeding them.

JayRod broke by Nixon in the Mirror, Clyne broke by Nixon in The Mirror, Gazzaniga broke by Solent, obviously Ramirez, Yoshida broke by Dutch press, Forren broke by Norwegian press - the list could go on and on

As others have said, many transfers are now done through the media and get published in the media before any club announcements. Just part and parcel of being in the Premier League where the spotlight is constantly on each and every club.

Spurs?

That was my first thought. Not sure after that though, Everton couldn't afford him and Liverpool are probably after a different sort. Possibly Swansea but I suppose if he'd go there then we aren't totally out of the running.

That was my first thought. Not sure after that though, Everton couldn't afford him and Liverpool are probably after a different sort. Possibly West Brom but I suppose if he'd go there then we aren't totally out of the running.

I think we are the most attractive outside top 4 now.

Of course, but agents feed the media with potential asking prices, wages, bids and clubs who are interested. It jacks up prices and gets their clients a better cut.

I read the media a fair bit and honestly didn't see anything for Mayuka, Forren, Gazzaniga, or Davis before they signed. I read about Rodriguez in the morning before it was announced, and Yoshida I think the same or possibly the day before.

I heard about all of them quite a while before they signed.

I think we are the most attractive outside top 4 now.

Steady on. Spurs, Liverpool, Everton, Swansea all much better footballing prospects. Spurs and Liverpool financially competitive. Villa and Newcastle bigger clubs.

Edited by DuncanRG

Watch nearly every Man U game last season...... Guy is world class imho

I had a mate go to Manchester to see relatives and saw him play for them when up there. He said he was dreadful, missed an open goals and a penalty, got sent off and was never a threat and looked totally out of his depth. One to be avoided I think.

Steady on. Spurs, Liverpool, Everton, Swansea all much better footballing prospects. Spurs and Liverpool financially competitive.

Everton and certainly swansea aren't at all. How are swansea bigger than us. I think some if our fans are desperate to make us smaller than we are. Chelsea weren't exactly that big before abromovich.

I had a mate go to Manchester to see relatives and saw him play for them when up there. He said he was dreadful, missed an open goals and a penalty, got sent off and was never a threat and looked totally out of his depth. One to be avoided I think.

Is this the same mate that went to Italy? :suspicious:

Everton and certainly swansea aren't at all. How are swansea bigger than us. I think some if our fans are desperate to make us smaller than we are. Chelsea weren't exactly that big before abromovich.

Swansea aren't a bigger club but they and Everton have better teams. I suppose we'll see how their squads look as the season starts (and who's in the dugout for Swansea) but as it stands I expect them both to finish above us.

Abramovich bought Chelsea ten years ago and they're now a major footballing superpower, let's not pretend we can compare ourselves to them. They were a bigger club than us before Abramovich anyway.