Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

Just watched the transfer round-up on SSN.

Does someone there not like Bony? They showed him skying a header miles over the bar, then shoot wide when through on goal.

perhaps he's just not all that good. Vitesse Arnhem says nothing to me, De Ridder was the dog's in Holland.

perhaps he's just not all that good. Vitesse Arnhem says nothing to me, De Ridder was the dog's in Holland.

Are there any leagues that you do rate? There are some very good young players in Holland at the moment (Van Ginkel, Strootman, Fischer, De Jong, Bony, Fer).

What gave you that impression? He played for a team that flipped back and forth between the Dutch first and second divisions and he managed a goal roughly every 8 games...

He was player of the year at De Graafschap when we signed him, and to be fair was very highly thought of over there.

And you can't really judge a winger on goals scored.

He was player of the year at De Graafschap when we signed him, and to be fair was very highly thought of over there.

exactly. The problem with these secondary leagues (ok just my opinion) is that a player can look really good because of the atrocious standard of the opposition. When you dig a bit deeper half of the goals are score in goal gluts against sides that would struggle in the Blue Square here. There have just been to many rank failures for it to be coincidental, look at Gervinho and Chamakh, top scorers and Champions in the French league, just plain average in the Prem. I've said it before, you've got to be bloody good to succeed in the EPL. Look at Marin, top winger at Bremen, pretty average at Chelsea. THe standard of English football in general ranks with the best and you've got to be pretty careful who you pay a lot of money for, some would say that Ramirez proves that although I think he'll be more consistent next season.

I was simply contesting that he was "the dog's" in Holland. To me that suggests he had the reputation of someone who'd torn up the league, rather than done pretty well for a bottom-dwelling team. The price we paid for him tells you he can't have been *that* highly thought of...

I was simply contesting that he was "the dog's" in Holland. To me that suggests he had the reputation of someone who'd torn up the league, rather than done pretty well for a bottom-dwelling team. The price we paid for him tells you he can't have been *that* highly thought of...

nigh on a million euros I believe, not much less than Lambert or Schneiderlin. They saw us coming, thankfully we seem to have learnt our lesson.

Steve de Ridder is actually not a bad player at all and gets an unjustly harsh press on here.

Fact.

I still think there is a good player in there somewhere struggling to get out. He has a lot of good qualities but his crossing and his decision making lets him down and he dwells on the ball for too long.

I still think there is a good player in there somewhere struggling to get out. He has a lot of good qualities but his crossing and his decision making lets him down and he dwells on the ball for too long.

I just watched his old Youtube video. It makes you a believer!

Think Stoke have snapped up a bargain in Muniesa!!!! Great piece of work there

Time will tell I guess, from what I have seen, bags of potential! We must be next with a WOW signing

I wouldn't call a player on a free from Barcelona B a "WOW signing". He may well be a good player (I don't know), but it isn't an awe inspiring signing.

Think Stoke have snapped up a bargain in Muniesa!!!! Great piece of work there

Aye, agreed. Though I'm not convinced that defenders are what Stoke necessarily need, being pretty solid back there anyway. It will be interesting to see how Stoke fare with Hughes next season - he does seem to be a manager that operates much better under financial constraints (Blackburn, Fulham)

I also see Swansea have snapped up Pozuelo from Real Betis. I confess to knowing nothing about him, but they seem to be snapping a fair few players up from the Spanish League at good prices. Time will tell whether they are good buys or not, but I thought that we would be making more inroads into the Spanish market given Poch's contacts and the value for money to be had there. His interview with the BBC towards the end of last season seemed to suggest that two were as good as sewn up, so wondering what has happened to these targets (I doubt that Lovren was one of them).

Hopefully we'll have some joy this week.

I wouldn't call a player from Barcelona B a "WOW signing". He may well be a good player (I don't know), but it isn't an awe inspiring signing.

No, I just meant we would be next with a WOW signing not that Muniesa was WOW! Bags of potential yes, WOW no, I just have a feeling that WE will be WOWED!!

I wouldn't call a player from Barcelona B a "WOW signing". He may well be a good player (I don't know), but it isn't an awe inspiring signing.

No, I just meant we would be next with a WOW signing not that Muniesa was WOW! Bags of potential yes, WOW no, I just have a feeling that WE will be WOWED!!

A fairly scathing view of Cortese's dealings from Alan Nixon:

Alan Nixon ‏@reluctantnicko 7m

@tcumner1986 The Don wanted cash and control. He got it. He has not delivered.

Discuss...

new kit, new hand dryers

now this on July 2nd

CORTESE OUT!!!!

Discuss...

Pretty stupid thing to say on 2nd July really.

Most of our signings are going to happen in August.

indeed. and if I not mistaken is that twitter thingy supposed to be a real journalist?

and he calls NC "The Don".....?

REALLY?

Discuss...

YES he has, but the optimum word here is ......YET

Do you really expect him to start throwing money around like a man with six arms?

........or are you just another of those " we ought to have bought all our new players by July 2nd " types?

I wouldn't call a player on a free from Barcelona B a "WOW signing". He may well be a good player (I don't know), but it isn't an awe inspiring signing.

Yeah, totally. Only rubbish like xavi, iniesta, puyol, valdes, messi, Pedro, busquets, bojan, thiago motta, thiago alcantra, giovani and tello have turned out for that crap.

If you go back far enough, they've got a history of producing ineffectual, boring footballers... Guardiola, de la Pena, Sanchez, Amor, carrassco.

Yeah, totally. Only rubbish like xavi, iniesta, puyol, valdes, messi, Pedro, busquets, bojan, thiago motta, thiago alcantra, giovani and tello have turned out for that crap.

If you go back far enough, they've got a history of producing ineffectual, boring footballers... Guardiola, de la Pena, Sanchez, Amor, carrassco.

The difference being that most of those weren't released on a free aged 22.

For everyone of you that think that we are so far behind and slow on the transfer market now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2326128/Premier-League-transfers--summer-2013.html

5 teams with no signings, 6 teams (including us) with one signing so far....

And btw there´s an ugly picture of horsesh*te in that link, dont say I didn´t warn you...

Yep, agree that it's premature. We have also moved to strengthen our priority area first, which cannot be said for the mayhem of the last transfer window.

The 'cheque-book waving' he alluded to yesterday doesn't really sound like the Cortese approach to negotiations either.