Europe next season (via fairplay)

simo

If saints we in the same position as spurs yesterday, who would have been our 5 to step up?

I wreckon:

Lambert

gaston/Davis depends who plays in behind

J rod

Lallana

Morgan

I was thinking that. I concluded that we had good technical players who can probably take a good penalty, not that we'll ever know because we have the best penalty taker in the country taking all of ours. Also, think Boruc would be good at saving pens. Kelvin is a fantastic penalty stopper also.

Here are my 5:

Lambo

Schneiderlin

Shaw

Clyne

Lallana

BTW how comedy was Adebyor's miss, lol. Joke player.

This from the Southampton FC Facebook page:

Southampton FC News and Updates is posting about Southampton FC.

203496_209069622545970_1498619167_q.jpg [h=5]Like Page Southampton FC News and Updates

[/h][h=5]Saints for Europe???!

Saints are closing in on a potential Europa League spot.

With just five games remaining in the season there is a very real chance that Mauricio Pochettino’s men could qualify for European competition via the Fair Play League.

Saints currently sit fifth in the Premier League’s Fair Play table.

But, significantly, three of the teams above them – Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester United – look likely to qualify for Europe via the league, meaning they would not use any potential Fair Play spot.

The only other side above Saints is Liverpool.

In a major boost to Saints’ chances, Reds boss Brendan Rodgers has indicated his side would almost certainly turn down the Fair Play place if offered it.

[/h]

Would be a disaster, screw our pre-season, and scupper our PL campaign effectiveness. Bloody noddy europe cup screws teams who do not have the resources to run 2 teams. Starts too early, continues too long and provides poor financial rewards. Its the last thing we need.

This is one of those very rare moments I find myself in complete agreement with you. You might have added however that playing in this noddy competition also means that we could kiss goodbye to most of our beloved Saturday 3pm KO's too.

It would be worth our while kicking Swansea black and blue next Saturday if it meant we were free of the threat of this nonsense.

Bloody hope we don't get into it and that if we do then we also turn it down. Look at the impact it has had on Newcastle this season. We could be on the path to something really special here, perhaps ultimately ending in qualifying for the tournament through the league. Playing in the Europa next season will only hinder that. Besides, there's no pride whatsoever in qualifying for it through the fair play league.

Bloody hope we don't get into it and that if we do then we also turn it down. Look at the impact it has had on Newcastle this season. We could be on the path to something really special here, perhaps ultimately ending in qualifying for the tournament through the league. Playing in the Europa next season will only hinder that. Besides, there's no pride whatsoever in qualifying for it through the fair play league.

Are you suggesting we don't enter the Europa League next season so we can focus our efforts on qualifying for the...Europa League?

I imagine the club will take the chance if given it. They want to play in Europe and won't care how we qualify. I doubt they'll be so ignorant to assume we could take on the extra 10 - 20 games in the season without a squad big enough to also deal with the league.

Are you suggesting we don't enter the Europa League next season so we can focus our efforts on qualifying for the...Europa League?

I imagine the club will take the chance if given it. They want to play in Europe and won't care how we qualify. I doubt they'll be so ignorant to assume we could take on the extra 10 - 20 games in the season without a squad big enough to also deal with the league.

Very good. The endless number of wisecracks on here never fail to get me... As I apparently didn't spell out what I was saying clearly enough for some I will do so again.

Where we are now, we are in no position to add another 10-15 games onto our schedule for next season. We may have put a run of results together recently but for the majority of the season we have been bumbling along the bottom of the league. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking we currently have the squad to compete in the Europa league. Quite obviously my point above was, let's give it a few more years, build slowly to the point where we are good enough to be able to compete in the Europa league without it affecting too drastically how we get on in the league. And let's do it on merit.

What would you rather? Qualify for the Europa league next season through the fair play league, receive no respect for being there, perform OK at best and put the extra toil on our league campaign or spend 2 or 3 years building until we are a regular top half club with good squad depth, qualify on merit and have a chance of actually doing quite well.

Isn't this exactly the same argument we had last year and the year before that? We're not ready. Let's consolidate where we are for a couple of years. We're in a false position. They players we have will not take us any further. Etc.

In Cortese we trust. If we have the opportunity you can be sure he will take it and he will make sure we have the resources to make it work. Incidentally we play 11 less games this year than last

Isn't this exactly the same argument we had last year and the year before that? We're not ready. Let's consolidate where we are for a couple of years. We're in a false position. They players we have will not take us any further. Etc.

In Cortese we trust. If we have the opportunity you can be sure he will take it and he will make sure we have the resources to make it work. Incidentally we play 11 less games this year than last

Point taken but we achieved the rise in levels on merit of footballing capability. Being top of the fair play league is not qualifying for the next level of the footballing hierarchy on merit.

I'm can be a grumpy sod just as well as the next man but I'd love us to play a few European games next season. Why the hell not? Watching Saints is an enjoyable hobby and I don't take it as seriously as my job! A little jaunt to the continent with the lads to watch Saints would be great and I wouldn't get all high and mighty about how we got there. And by the way, if we played like we have recently we'll give it a lot better go than Allardyces ugly Bolton side from a few years back. Bring it on. We're all going on a European Tour.

Pretty sure they've changed the European qualification rules since Millwall's adventure in 2004 - for a start they had to deal with the 2005 Liverpool Champions League winning scenario when the holders weren't allowed to defend the trophy - and then they were... plus the Europa League has a different number of entrants to the UEFA Cup/Cup Winners' Cup, and also the Europa League itself has expanded.

I also think we're not ready for it, and Wigan will go down next season because of the Europa League (if they stay up this season and make it to the Group Stage).

Edited by The9

It'd be a laugh just playing in the qualifying rounds and having sterner matches than the friendlies. Two years ago we were playing league 1, now people are turning down a European adventure, I say take it whilst you can, no one knows for sure whats around the corner. I always enjoy being in a cup draw as well.

It'd be a laugh just playing in the qualifying rounds and having sterner matches than the friendlies. Two years ago we were playing league 1, now people are turning down a European adventure, I say take it whilst you can, no one knows for sure whats around the corner. I always enjoy being in a cup draw as well.

The attitude of a club we often criticise, no?

The attitude of a club we often criticise, no?

I'm talking about taking the opportunity to play in Europe if it's offered as it could be a while before we make it in the league not spending millions we don't have. There are no similarities whatsoever.

Imagine the Faroe Isles or Kazakhstan :o

I'm talking about taking the opportunity to play in Europe if it's offered as it could be a while before we make it in the league not spending millions we don't have. There are no similarities whatsoever.

Being in Europe before we're ready for it is precisely the kind of thing that leads to spending millions we hadn't planned for... not that I think we'd make the same mistakes (or continue to run up the bills)...

It is actually.

Umm.. no it's not actually. On the commonly used term of merit in football, ie winning football matches. How many trophies have ever been won by being the fairest team in the league. You clearly know what my point is, don't be so anal and antagonistic.

Umm.. no it's not actually. On the commonly used term of merit in football, ie winning football matches. How many trophies have ever been won by being the fairest team in the league. You clearly know what my point is, don't be so anal and antagonistic.
Check the definition of merit. Do teams that only finish 7th in the league really deserve the reward of European football? That's nearly midtable. Or sides that only play lower league opposition on a cup run and then get well beaten in the final, do they deserve it. What about teams that finish 4th, 25 points behind 1st, should they be competing in a competition called the "Champions League"?

Check the definition of merit. Do teams that only finish 7th in the league really deserve the reward of European football? That's nearly midtable. Or sides that only play lower league opposition on a cup run and then get well beaten in the final, do they deserve it. What about teams that finish 4th, 25 points behind 1st, should they be competing in a competition called the "Champions League"?

I agree with you. When we last qualified for Europe was that really on merit? It was essentially the prize for beating Spurs 4-0 then winning a whole load of games the league table pyramid would suggest we should win. Sort of brings in another argument as to the legitimacy of the number of teams that do now compete in Europe. As it goes I think there are far too many. But in what you have just said you seem to suggest the definition of merit has been lowered from your own paradigm of what you believe to be worthy. So we're essentially in agreement here. None of those scenarios you have stated above are particularly based on merit and as such you wouldn't expect them to compete well in European competitions. My point is that the term merit being stretched so far to include not getting bookings and sendings-off will result in a team of inferior standard to what is required in European competition being allowed to qualify and, I believe, suffer in their domestic conquests as a result. That's my attempt at an eloquent explanation. In more simple terms I just wouldn't take any pride in qualifying for Europe through the fair play league.

As it goes I did look up the definition of merit. 'The quality of being particularly good or worthy, esp. so as to deserve praise or reward.' I don't really know what point you're trying to make there as if anything it agrees with what I was saying. Unless you do believe that being top of the fair play league makes you worthy of a spot in Europe. I stand by what I said originally that it is not qualification by merit.

Very good. The endless number of wisecracks on here never fail to get me... As I apparently didn't spell out what I was saying clearly enough for some I will do so again.

Where we are now, we are in no position to add another 10-15 games onto our schedule for next season. We may have put a run of results together recently but for the majority of the season we have been bumbling along the bottom of the league. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking we currently have the squad to compete in the Europa league. Quite obviously my point above was, let's give it a few more years, build slowly to the point where we are good enough to be able to compete in the Europa league without it affecting too drastically how we get on in the league. And let's do it on merit.

What would you rather? Qualify for the Europa league next season through the fair play league, receive no respect for being there, perform OK at best and put the extra toil on our league campaign or spend 2 or 3 years building until we are a regular top half club with good squad depth, qualify on merit and have a chance of actually doing quite well.

I only think the assertion that we couldn't cope with it is based on our squad as exists today, as I am assuming you are taking a position that our potential for a decent league position next season would be compromised with Europa League football. Under the conditions that the squad exists as it today, I would agree with you however I don't think those conditions are based on reality. The squad will improve over the summer (we won't stand still, but I don't expect the same number of signings), and the circumstances that impacted our start to the season (unexperienced players, unexperienced Manager, lots of new signings) won't be present at the start of next season either. Therefore under the assumption that a) our squad will improve and, b) the start we had to this season won't occur next season due to the circumstances that caused it not being present, then I see no reason why we shouldn't take the opportunity to compete in Europe.

And *if* we did get the chance to play in Europe, and *if* we did start slowly in the league there is no problem just to stop playing our best team in Europe and concentrate on the league. I can't see any circumstance where the club would turn it down given our agenda for growth as soon as possible.

Also, if anyone thinks we shouldn't compete in Europe, then I wonder if Swansea (3pts above us in the table and sell their best players every summer) and Wigan (7pts below us in the table) fans and players think the same, or whether they are looking forward to it next season. I can't see either of them turning down their opportunity so would they be as silly as us for getting a chance to play in Europe?

100% agree with this, well said

I'm happy to trust the board on this one. If they think we can manage a European campaign great, if they choose not to proceed I'd accept that also.

Personally I'd like to see the club take it on, and use the qualifying rounds as part of pre-season. If we get knocked-out it is not the end of the world, if we get through a run in Europe would be great fun. I'd be surprised if Liverpool did turn it down - it is almost essential for them to be in Europe.

Poll?

http://www.clubcall.com/southampton/ferguson-scotches-saints-euro-hopes-1578041.html?

Man United boss Sir Alex Ferguson's behaviour after Nani's Champions League red card could cost Saints a spot in Europe next year.

The Old Trafford supremo's press conference no-show landed him a 10,000 euros fine after he ducked out on his obligations following his side's exit at the hands of Real Madrid last month. But his actions - and those of United star Nani and Spurs defender Jan Vertonghen - look set to scupper Southampton's chances of landing an entry into the Europa League via Uefa's Respect/Fair Play competition. European football's governing body annually hands three nations an extra Europa League place to give to its domestic top-division, fair-play winner. Saints sit in fifth spot in the Premier League fair-play rankings but three of the teams above them - Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester United - look likely to qualify for Europe via the league. The other club, Liverpool, are expected to turn down any such invitation because qualifying matches would clash with their pre-season plans, but Saints fans should not get too excited. The last official UEFA table had England in fourth place, but two subsequent red cards - for Nani against Real and Vertonghen against Basel - plus the punishment for Ferguson are likely to keep them outside the top three - currently occupied by Norway, Sweden and Finland.

If we do qualify, as said earlier we need to ensure we don't do a NUFC, and make sure we have depth and right rotation so injurys and rest is given, hate him but like Rafa has done at Chelsea, and if we get some luck in the 1st 2 qualifying rounds we can use them instead of pointless friendlies, if we qualify we would deffo need a better LB RB and 2 wingers rather then the one, plus a young striker.

Anyone moaning about being in europe clearly would have no intention of going. I'm sure the regular away day goers amongst our support would love a jaunt in Europe.

You are incorrect. I'd definitely go, but I'd rather I went to see a Saints side I didn't think was compromising our league success just by being there. That only applies to next season and the Europa League, if we continue to improve as we have, and qualify as a Cup winner or via the League, I think we could sustain squad growth and 2 campaigns by 2014/15.

Just not next season for now. We're 7 points above relegation, it wouldn't take many injuries to have dropped us back down there and we've had remarkably few this season.

Edited by The9

Anyone moaning about being in europe clearly would have no intention of going. I'm sure the regular away day goers amongst our support would love a jaunt in Europe.

It would be amazing to make a trip to somewhere exotic like the Faroe Islands or Kazakhstan. I'm sure both would be very hospitable, and would give our lads a great work out in early July. The hope would be that one or more of our important players would not get a serious injury and miss the rest of the season while we were all having a wheeze having a European tour. Actually I wouldn't go to either of the above, and I doubt that I would even bother going to see the home leg. Have been to plenty of European games in the past against proper teams in proper competitions. It is naive to imagine that playing silly games in July would not damage our pre-season and for no good reason. Financially the Europa League is rubbish, even at the QF stage. The sooner they re-format the Europa Noddy League the better.

It would be amazing to make a trip to somewhere exotic like the Faroe Islands or Kazakhstan. I'm sure both would be very hospitable, and would give our lads a great work out in early July. The hope would be that one or more of our important players would not get a serious injury and miss the rest of the season while we were all having a wheeze having a European tour. Actually I wouldn't go to either of the above, and I doubt that I would even bother going to see the home leg. Have been to plenty of European games in the past against proper teams in proper competitions. It is naive to imagine that playing silly games in July would not damage our pre-season and for no good reason. Financially the Europa League is rubbish, even at the QF stage. The sooner they re-format the Europa Noddy League the better.

And yet there are some who aren't quite drawing their pensions just yet who haven't seen plenty of European football. We're not going to win the league any time soon, or probably qualify for the Champions League, so for me a spot of European football (no matter how "noddy" the competition is) is better than plodding along and striving for finishing as high above mid-table as possible.

We have Saints in Sweden? Can we have them disrupt a local game, ie, call players' mums slags, in hope of some Cantona-esque retaliations?

Currently living in Gothenburg. They are a very mild mannered bunch out here. No surprise that they are leading in terms of fair play.

Liverpool picked up 3 yellow cards today, Saints picked up none.

Surely, the Suarez bite on Ivanovic is also going to reduce Liverpool's fair play point total.

I'm still struggling to work out how exactly we would qualify - where the current state of play is etc.

Liverpool picked up 3 yellow cards today, Saints picked up none.

Surely, the Suarez bite on Ivanovic is also going to reduce Liverpool's fair play point total.

I'm still struggling to work out how exactly we would qualify - where the current state of play is etc.

I heard yesterday during the commentary that Liverpool wouldn't take up the option of qualifying if they were offered it. And its not just on red and yellow cards, if it were we would be top.