Hampshire CCC Season 2013

Weston Saint

Season starts tomorrow (Wednesday 10th April) with a home Championship game at the Ageas Bowl against Leicestershire

Team likely to be Adams, Carberry, Dawson, Bailey, Vince, Ervine, Wheater, Wood, Balcombe, Tomlinson, Griffiths

I think Briggs will miss out as the early season wickets will favour seam and I think Bates will lose out to Wheater as we need a number 7 who can bat a bit. I am loath to drop two of our best young players but I see this season as a promotion priority.

Oops, sorry, didn't see this thread - delete mine someone!

Here's the BBC season preview, what do we think?

HAMPSHIRE

Captain: Jimmy Adams

Overseas players: George Bailey (Australia), Saeed Ajmal (Pakistan)

How they did last season: Fourth in County Championship Division Two, winners of CB40 and FL t20.

Season prospects: Trying to match winning two one-day trophies last season may be beyond Hampshire this campaign. However, the experience gained and the high-pressure games won along the way will stand the team in good stead. Hampshire will be the side to beat in the shorter formats but, while they will expect another good showing in the one-day competitions, it is the County Championship by which the season will be measured. They were happy to rebuild last season, but the pressure is on to regain the Division One status they lost in 2011.

One to watch: This is an important season for 23-year-old Liam Dawson in terms of establishing himself as a prominent member of the side. Dawson will be entrusted with the number three position in the Championship, with orders to 'bat long', having struggled as an opener in 2012 and being dropped down the order. His left-arm spin, which had fallen away badly, was more effective last year, doing much to keep Danny Briggs out of the side on green wickets. A successful season with both bat and ball in 2013 may see the all-rounder tipped for further honours, as he was a few seasons ago when captaining England Under-19s.

By BBC Radio Solent's Kevan James

No, food is extra but our own restaurant. Exec club membership is £450 Starters about £6 main from £10 -£20 and desert about £6.

Bailey out for 93. Missed a ball which went to the WK stood back. Bailey lazely out of his ground. WK bowled it in and hit stumps. Counts as stumped. Nearly happened the ball before!

So, at the risk of tempting fate, what's Wheater like with a bat then? Have virtually zero knowledge of him...

Got runs against us last year at Chelmsford. Very nearly won the game for them from an impossible position. Looked good as well, in the last home match, so obviously impressed the management.

Wood with a quickfire 28 off 24 balls before being bowled by Naik - Hampshire then declaring on 454/7, Wheater unbeaten on 56.

A strong position and, shock horror, maximum batting points, something we only managed once all of last season I believe?!?

Hants v Worcs

Hants won toss and batted, 113-1

Hampshire

James Adams ©

Michael Carberry

Liam Dawson

George Bailey

James Vince

Sean Ervine

Adam Wheater (W)

Christopher Wood

David Balcombe

Danny Briggs

James Tomlinson

Jimmy 219 not out, Hants declaring on 500-9.

A good start to the season ......

If our bowlers can get the job done and if there's no rained out last day this time. We've already a bit of a gap to the top teams who've won a game and drawn one. Need to win. However Worcester seem to be playing for a draw already.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Worcs now 189/8, having lost 3 wickets for 30 runs inside the first hour today. Follow-on looking likely, 5-and-a-bit sessions to take 12 wickets and knock off a victory target. Don't wanna count chickens but it's a strong position, and it'd be disappointing not to win from here.