Luke Shaw named in England elite list

trousers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22104553

The Football Association's new director of elite development Dan Ashworth has named seven players he feels will be the future of English football.

Ashworth picks out England squad members Jack Wilshere, 21, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, 19, and Danny Welbeck, 22.

Rising stars Wilfried Zaha, 20, Thomas Ince, 21, Raheem Sterling, 18, and Luke Shaw, 17, are also identified.

Welbeck?

LOL

Gets such a hard time for some reason. Got great feet, strong, does the simple things well. I'd agree he needs to add goals to his game but in the 2 legs against R. Madrid he was Utd's best player, and Fergie continues to play him in big games. I'd trust SAF on footballing matters over any of the numpties who continually put Welbeck down.

Gets such a hard time for some reason. Got great feet, strong, does the simple things well. I'd agree he needs to add goals to his game but in the 2 legs against R. Madrid he was Utd's best player, and Fergie continues to play him in big games. I'd trust SAF on footballing matters over any of the numpties who continually put Welbeck down.

He's utter sh,ite

Really ?!?

Lol

Try not following the ignorant masses

He's a striker playing for one of the best attacking teams in the country, yet he can't score goals. I think he is goal in the Premier League this season? I know he plays wide a lot, but he's not a particularly good winger either. I personally don't see what he offers to the team ahead of others and if he played for say Everton or West Brom, I don't think he would have a single cap. Even if he eventually comes good, why is he being indulged and given time to bed in at international level when plenty of other candidates aren't given similar opportunities?

Not trying to troll at all, just genuinely can't see what he is good at? He actively looks for a pass ahead of shooting in some games. 'Putting a shift in' and 'tracking back' are not good enough to justify being the future of English football.

He's really clearly not. Agree he was Utd's best player against Madrid and again good for England the other week, "View from the top/View from behind a wall"...

So 1 good game and he's the future of England? He's utter, utter gash.

A striker who can't score or a winger who can't cross. None of my Utd ST holding mates rate him and they see him whenever he's picked.

He's worse than Adam Johnson, and that takes some doing.

He's a striker playing for one of the best attacking teams in the country, yet he can't score goals. I think he is goal in the Premier League this season? I know he plays wide a lot, but he's not a particularly good winger either. I personally don't see what he offers to the team ahead of others and if he played for say Everton or West Brom, I don't think he would have a single cap. Even if he eventually comes good, why is he being indulged and given time to bed in at international level when plenty of other candidates aren't given similar opportunities?

Not trying to troll at all, just genuinely can't see what he is good at? He actively looks for a pass ahead of shooting in some games. 'Putting a shift in' and 'tracking back' are not good enough to justify being the future of English football.

Completely agree. It's funny how some will take the polar opposite view just so that they are seen as some kind of enlightened minority with a better insight than the majority.

The reason so many people don't rate Welbeck is because they watch him play and see the countless chances missed or bottled.

When a truly class player emerges, not many people ever disagree with the quality of that player

Completely agree. It's funny how some will take the polar opposite view just so that they are seen as some kind of enlightened minority with a better insight than the majority.

The reason so many people don't rate Welbeck is because they watch him play and see the countless chances missed or bottled.

When a truly class player emerges, not many people ever disagree with the quality of that player

Agree, he has 1 PL goal and probably not many more assists. He has no first touch and no composure. He is Fergie's fourth choice striker yet is a first choice for England.

But for me the worst thing is what have he, or Tom Cleverley done to earn playing for England? They havent had to play consistently well at all. They now will be in every squad unless injured for the next 10 years (or at least until they move to Middlesborough or Sunderland).

Agree, he has 1 PL goal and probably not many more assists. He has no first touch and no composure. He is Fergie's fourth choice striker yet is a first choice for England.

But for me the worst thing is what have he, or Tom Cleverley done to earn playing for England? They havent had to play consistently well at all. They now will be in every squad unless injured for the next 10 years (or at least until they move to Middlesborough or Sunderland).

I bet some members of the Welbeck defence league would have been happy to put the boot into Rodriguez earlier in the season...waste of money, not scoring enough etc etc.

Dear Top 4 teams of the Premiership (plus Tottingham, Liverpool and Everton),

After very careful research, here is the shopping list of players you should put all your efforts into buying if you don't already own them. By all means buy them off each other as it provides excellent column inches during the summer while we are all on our Holibobs.

Once again we will appreciate your assistance in making the job of selecting the England team so much easier, in return we will ensure you get the usual easy ride off the referees and any hard disciplinary issues we will show the usual leniency. But please make sure that you make more effort next year to ensure that the title is not pretty much over by the end of March, the relegation battle this year is getting far too many column inches than the cream of the product.

Any ideas you have to resist our wishes, please may we draw your attention to Mr Redknapp's predicament.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Very best regards

From the FA

Ever thought that maybe some people just have a different opinion? I don't think he's amazing but yes I think he's a good player with bundles of potential to get better. I have the same opinion of Cleverly and having seen plenty slagging him I'd imagine others think the opposite. I don't get why that means I have to have some sort of agenda or are just doing it for effect.

Ever thought that maybe some people just have a different opinion? I don't think he's amazing but yes I think he's a good player with bundles of potential to get better. I have the same opinion of Cleverly and having seen plenty slagging him I'd imagine others think the opposite. I don't get why that means I have to have some sort of agenda or are just doing it for effect.

My original comment come from someone on this thread calling people who don't rate Welbeck as an England player (let alone as the main 2nd striker) as "ignorant". How is that for accepting another opinion?

My original comment come from someone on this thread calling people who don't rate Welbeck as an England player (let alone as the main 2nd striker) as "ignorant". How is that for accepting another opinion?

Sorry I'm being a bell end. I actually quoted the wrong part! Proof that this man can't multi-task.

It's funny how some will take the polar opposite view just so that they are seen as some kind of enlightened minority with a better insight than the majority.

Should have been this bit, make more sense? I know you say some and weren't aiming it at me but so many people on this site seem to think anyone with a differing opinion is only doing so to be a pain in the arse. In my case I just disagree with you.

Just shows the guy hasn't got a clue............One goal Welbeck????????????

Could have been worse, they could have named Ashley No Goals Young. ManU really do turn out some red hot attacking players that get to play for England.

Still fair play to Luke, good to see Saints Academy has produced 2 out of 7 of these so-called elite players.

Wellbeck has bags of potential... But think he's a classic scenario of being in too big a club too early... Unless you are a Rooney.. Often young strikers need to get a run of games to build some confidence, and in the same position.. Look at Rodriguez... Looks a different player than earlier in the season...when he was playing out wide/in and out the side... If he gets the games, he'll only get better...etc...

Yes..I get frustrated when players like Wellbeck get picked for England ahead of Ricky etc, but for me, it's currently only making him worse...I'd quite like Luke Shaw, Jay R and Clyne kept out of the England limelight...until they're a bit more the finished article and can handle it better....

Welbeck works hard but so did Brett Ormerod

Wouldn't be in the England squad if he wasn't at United IMO (likewise Cleverley).

Spot on. He can't even make a simple pass to someone in the same coloured shirt.

If he were at Saints he'd never get a look in for England. Never.

Should have been this bit, make more sense? I know you say some and weren't aiming it at me but so many people on this site seem to think anyone with a differing opinion is only doing so to be a pain in the arse. In my case I just disagree with you.

Don't have a problem with anyone elses opinion. Just IMO, if a lot of people say that a player isn't that great it's mostly because they are just simply aren't. If you rate him than fair enough but I can't recall an England team in my life time so short on options up front.

J rod certainly didnt start the season very strong but who can blame him ? He was out of position at a new club and new league. He has certainly shown enough for me to warrant a chance in the england set up and to look good for the future.

Welbeck is a strong, two footed hard working young lad with good pace and technique, I am excited about him.

Likewise Cleverley, if he stays free from injury he could be a decent player.

We are not the all signing all dancing nation so many of you are led too believe, and looking at our options then Welbeck and even sturridge look good for the future. Hell IMO if we are looking at J Rod a kid barely out of the championship and having a small purple patch at the moment as a potential succesor it shows the lack of depth. It makes you sick when you look at the array of talent available to someone like Spain in all areas, Lorente, Villa, Torres, Mata, Silva all posible bench warmers who would all walk into the three lions.

Writing off Welbeck is misguided, football is never Black and White, spend some time in the game and you'll look a little deeper. Welbeck will be a player no doubt.

Why?

Because the defence of Welbeck has nothing to do with any criticism of Rodriguez. I also happen to know 2 United season ticket holders who rate Welbeck very highly, and a Sunderland fan who constantly bangs on about the quality he showed whilst on loan there. All about opinions and debate at the end of the day.

Re Rodriguez I happen to think he has a lot of attributes current English strikers simply do not possess - pace, purpose, decision making on/off the ball, great technique in striking the ball.

Makes me laugh how J Rod can have a few good games and all of a sudden some idiots are rating him as better than Welbeck who plays for one of the best clubs in the world under one of the best managers in the world and who has experience in top flight international competition. Get some reality you poor deluded people.

Problem is that Welbeck plays for one of the biggest and best teams in the world, and that gives him an advantage over players from smaller clubs who may or may not be more talented. Jay Rod aside, who still has to prove himself imo to warrant an England call-up, compare Welbeck to Rickie. Pound for pound, Rickie is a far better footballer but because Welbeck is a) Younger and b) Plays for Man Utd, he'll get picked over Rickie 9 times out of 10.

Seriously if you put Welbeck in a team like Wigan or Sunderland, he would be decidedly average. He's a decidedly average player. Same for Cleverly. No questions on their potential, but there are better players out there who would be more beneficial to have in the England squad right now than young players from big clubs.

On his current form he is crap and his England displays rank amongst the worst ever. He may develop but he is being 'carried' at Man U along with Cleverley. I must be a numpty then

Problem is that Welbeck plays for one of the biggest and best teams in the world, and that gives him an advantage over players from smaller clubs who may or may not be more talented. Jay Rod aside, who still has to prove himself imo to warrant an England call-up, compare Welbeck to Rickie. Pound for pound, Rickie is a far better footballer but because Welbeck is a) Younger and b) Plays for Man Utd, he'll get picked over Rickie 9 times out of 10.

Seriously if you put Welbeck in a team like Wigan or Sunderland, he would be decidedly average. He's a decidedly average player. Same for Cleverly. No questions on their potential, but there are better players out there who would be more beneficial to have in the England squad right now than young players from big clubs.

Well, he did play for a team like Sunderland, on loan last year and looked very good, in fact a lot of the times I have seen him play I have been suitably impresses with him. He is having a poor end to the season but started very well. No he doesnt really play that great for England but who does ? I find myself not bothering now as our performances are such an abject failure and not to mention boring whats the point ?

As per Lostboys, yeah I think you must be a numpty, to say that Utd carry Cleverley or Welbeck is a tad silly really, his England performances have not been great but certainly not the 'worst ever' and what other optionsdo we have upfront ? Nobody that is recognised ?!

Lambert IMO could do a job but he is getting old and England should be about bringing through young players and getting them used to the main stage or we will always be just a team in transition. J Rod, maybe, if he carries on I dont see why not, but saying he is better then Welbeck after a handful of games is a bit daft too.

Ferguson doesn't get too many wrong and Wellbeck has shown potential imo. Maybe he'l fulfill it, maybe he wont, not sure he's ready for england duty as is though.
Ferguson has got plenty wrong over the years. No shortage of average players that have turned out for him. Edited by Sour Mash

Well, he did play for a team like Sunderland, on loan last year and looked very good, in fact a lot of the times I have seen him play I have been suitably impresses with him. He is having a poor end to the season but started very well. No he doesnt really play that great for England but who does ? I find myself not bothering now as our performances are such an abject failure and not to mention boring whats the point ?

As per Lostboys, yeah I think you must be a numpty, to say that Utd carry Cleverley or Welbeck is a tad silly really, his England performances have not been great but certainly not the 'worst ever' and what other optionsdo we have upfront ? Nobody that is recognised ?!

Lambert IMO could do a job but he is getting old and England should be about bringing through young players and getting them used to the main stage or we will always be just a team in transition. J Rod, maybe, if he carries on I dont see why not, but saying he is better then Welbeck after a handful of games is a bit daft too.

6 goals in 26 for Sunderland and that was playing as a Striker.

He's overated because of who he plays for, and his goal record considering who he plays for is terrible.

Strikers score goals and set them up. Wellbeck does neither he has 27 career goals in 134 games. Leigthon Baines is a more reliable goalscorer.

It's the classic case of pace and power being overated against technique and footballing brain. Welbeck can run all day, is really quick and unlike say Walcott is also a strong runner so is difficult to knock off the ball. His technique though is average at best for a player at the level he plays, his decision making in the last third is even worse.

Now technique and mental side of the game may improve over time, he's got potential but at the moment he looks like a headless chicken at times and half the time he can't get his feet sorted out. If you compare him to someone like Isco, who is two years younger and a top youngster coming through for one of the best international teams around, Welbeck looks miles behind.

Fergie likes him because he knows he won't let him down, he tracks back and will work all day, whereas someone like Nani or Young will switch off. That's why he played against Real Madrid because of his defensive qualities as Utd were against a superior team. Not very useful for England though when you are trying to break down someone like Macedonia or the Ukraine.

Good to see Shaw in there though, a player that actually already looks mature beyond his years.

Edited by tajjuk

Don't have a problem with anyone elses opinion. Just IMO, if a lot of people say that a player isn't that great it's mostly because they are just simply aren't. If you rate him than fair enough but I can't recall an England team in my life time so short on options up front.

I agree with your latter point. I also agree that many people just seem to come on here looking for an argument. Looking at the posts on this thread I'd say most of those are in your camp this time.

He's overated because of who he plays for, and his goal record considering who he plays for is terrible.

Strikers score goals and set them up. Wellbeck does neither he has 27 career goals in 134 games. Leigthon Baines is a more reliable goalscorer.

It's the classic case of pace and power being overated against technique and footballing brain. Welbeck can run all day, is really quick and unlike say Walcott is also a strong runner so is difficult to knock off the ball. His technique though is average at best for a player at the level he plays, his decision making in the last third is even worse.

Now technique and mental side of the game may improve over time, he's got potential but at the moment he looks like a headless chicken at times and half the time he can't get his feet sorted out. If you compare him to someone like Isco, who is two years younger and a top youngster coming through for one of the best international teams around, Welbeck looks miles behind.

Fergie likes him because he knows he won't let him down, he tracks back and will work all day, whereas someone like Nani or Young will switch off. That's why he played against Real Madrid because of his defensive qualities as Utd were against a superior team. Not very useful for England though when you are trying to break down someone like Macedonia or the Ukraine.

Good to see Shaw in there though, a player that actually already looks mature beyond his years.

Great post

Welbeck looks to me like a player that should have it all, but something is not quite right. He really should be scoring far more goals than he does. I think he's a very talented player, but he just doesn't look like a genuine top striker. Similar to Sturridge, really. When Sturridge went to Bolton on loan he scored something like 10 goals in 10 games, and you wondered how good he could go on to be. Again, it's not worked out and even another big move has yet to revitalise him.

Funilly enough I was going to mention Isco yesterday when talking about Spain, the talent available to them is phenominal.

I usually agree with you Taj but I cant today sorry bud, I suppose football is all about opinions. You need to look at what players bring to the party some times, its not all about stats. What does an out of goalscoring form owen bring you ? Nadda

Personally I Welbeck will turn out to be a decent player, his technique IMO is better than you suggest, he is two footed and takes on the defender, he works v hard (much like J Rods major attribute) but yes I can agree his decision making is lacking. But there are plenty of youngsters like that, Lallana was v much like that at one point (though improving now)

Id personally love England to have more options though, but we dont, when you look past Carroll, Sturridge and Welbeck (all hardly world beaters) we have little, Bent ? Defoe ? Crouch ?

England is a sad state of affairs Im afraid, the sooner our coaching gets better and hopefully some form of national player qouta installed the better