Kuala Lumpur - Anyone been?

Bolokov

KL is a great city and has much more of a buzz than the dull Singapore. You're staying in a decent area for bars and clubs but the nearby Golden Triangle area is the place to be, though if that's your sole reason for visiting KL you should've looked further North to Bangkok where the nightlife is up there with the best in the world. Despite the fact it's a Muslim country, booze is widely available, though it's not as cheap as surrounding countries - it's still very cheap by our standards.

I know you said you're not bothered about sightseeing but Chinatown (some superb street food vendors there as well), Petronas Towers and the KL Tower are all worth a look. There are also plenty of enormous shopping centres where you can quite literally get lost for hours - some seriously upmarket shopping centres as well so can stock up on cheapish genuine designer clobber if that's your thing.

Its okay was there about 7 years ago. go street food and try the redang curry really amazing. oh if your on a sighting tour there are some caves worth exploring on the outskirts. The small bus rides are a bit scary.

The Batu Caves. Worth chucking the driver a few quid to skip the obligatory stop at a gem/fabric shop on the way back.

Went in 2006 - great city! It's busy and hectic, but quite a bit to do - definitely check out the Batu Caves.

Petronas Towers are good, but Kuala Lumpur (telecoms) Tower give great views as you can actually go to the top unlike the PT.

Spend a few nights in KL then get the hell out of there and head for the Cameron Highlands, bliss.

This.

I couldnt wait to get out of KL. Not much to see tbh, and humid as hell. Decent markets I suppose, and try a steamboat supper.

Short trainride to the Cameron Highlands, grab a taxi (cheap) at the station, and if you feel brave, stop off for a slice of Durian on the long mountain road.

KL is a dump, I wouldn't advise staying too long.
Worked in KL for 3 months and not somewhere I'd go by choice. Crime is rampant and one needs to take care whilst out at night.

On the contrary Penang is far better in every way. Heaven on earth and bars, clubs, restaurants and beaches as good as anywhere.

This.

I couldnt wait to get out of KL. Not much to see tbh, and humid as hell. Decent markets I suppose, and try a steamboat supper.

Short trainride to the Cameron Highlands, grab a taxi (cheap) at the station, and if you feel brave, stop off for a slice of Durian on the long mountain road.

It's not a question of bravery but more stupidity if you decide to eat that. I tried some despite my brain screaming out not to put a fruit in my mouth that smelt like a cross between raw sewage and a rotting corpse. I've tried some odd stuff on my travels but that is by far and away the most vile thing I've ever tried. Took about 3 cans of 100 plus to get rid of the taste. I can also confirm that Durian flavoured ice cream is equally revolting.

Worked in KL for 3 months and not somewhere I'd go by choice. Crime is rampant and one needs to take care whilst out at night.

On the contrary Penang is far better in every way. Heaven on earth and bars, clubs, restaurants and beaches as good as anywhere.

Really? Probably one of the safest feeling cities I've visited around the world - even the taxi drivers are honest which is virtually unheard of in Asia! Also, isn't it statistically one of the safest cities in all of Asia?

It's not a question of bravery but more stupidity if you decide to eat that. I tried some despite my brain screaming out not to put a fruit in my mouth that smelt like a cross between raw sewage and a rotting corpse. I've tried some odd stuff on my travels but that is by far and away the most vile thing I've ever tried. Took about 3 cans of 100 plus to get rid of the taste. I can also confirm that Durian flavoured ice cream is equally revolting.

Don't inhale. Once you get past the smell of it, (and I agree, its the vilest aroma known to man, and banned from carriage on airlines,) the taste is astonishing if you can just get it into your mouth without smelling it. In fact the locals term for it is "smells like hell, tastes like heaven." Up that road from the station to the Cameron Highlands, as soon as a truck stops by the road to sell them, the locals are onto it like it was the last food on earth.

Another food tip that just occurred to me, we were staggering home after an evening on the sauce, spotted an inviting-looking glass-topped food vendors trolley. The guy chirped out to us, "duck soup?" Sounded good, until the wife said "er, duck soup? Quack quack?" The guy says "no, dog soup, woof woof" hahahaa. Mentioned this at the hotel the next morning to see whether that was a normal event, they said yes but dont have any. The neighbourhood dogs wont leave you alone for days, they smell it in your sweat.

Don't inhale. Once you get past the smell of it, (and I agree, its the vilest aroma known to man, and banned from carriage on airlines,) the taste is astonishing if you can just get it into your mouth without smelling it. In fact the locals term for it is "smells like hell, tastes like heaven." Up that road from the station to the Cameron Highlands, as soon as a truck stops by the road to sell them, the locals are onto it like it was the last food on earth.

Another food tip that just occurred to me, we were staggering home after an evening on the sauce, spotted an inviting-looking glass-topped food vendors trolley. The guy chirped out to us, "duck soup?" Sounded good, until the wife said "er, duck soup? Quack quack?" The guy says "no, dog soup, woof woof" hahahaa. Mentioned this at the hotel the next morning to see whether that was a normal event, they said yes but dont have any. The neighbourhood dogs wont leave you alone for days, they smell it in your sweat.

I wasn't mentally strong enough to achieve that. All I could taste was that vile smell... if that makes sense! Ha.

I didn't have a clue what I was eating half the time. I'd just find the street food stall that was packed with locals and just went in pointing at stuff. The only thing I could make out was the fish head soup, as the fish heads floating in it are a bit of a giveaway.

There we beg to differ Durian Ice cream is lovely after a spicy meal it is so refreshing

Durian in a bowl with cold condensed milk on it is good as well

There we beg to differ Durian Ice cream is lovely after a spicy meal it is so refreshing

Durian in a bowl with cold condensed milk on it is good as well

Just out of interest, where abouts in the Philippines are you? I'm over there in November. I'm doing the whole Boracay thing, then heading to Palawan (El Nido etc) but I've heard plenty of conflicting stories about Manilla. Is it worth a couple of nights? Heard the nightlife is supposed to be quite tasty.

I'm only coming in on a 3 week visa (couldn't be bothered with sorting one in advance as I'm pretty much coming straight in from Nepal) so time is limited but anywhere else you would recommend me visiting?

Manila is alright if you go with a couple of locals otherwise you will get ripped of rolled or loved up possibly all three with the same girl :)

Visa's are not a problem come in on a three week one stay as long as you like then pay the 4500 peso fine at the airport when you leave.

I am a little of the tourist trap in Batangas but it is only a short ride to Manila or across to Mindoro and white sand beaches and giant clams or Tagatay for the lake in a Volcano which happens to be on the list of 1000 places to visit in the world

Manila is alright if you go with a couple of locals otherwise you will get ripped of rolled or loved up possibly all three with the same girl :)

Visa's are not a problem come in on a three week one stay as long as you like then pay the 4500 peso fine at the airport when you leave.

I am a little of the tourist trap in Batangas but it is only a short ride to Manila or across to Mindoro and white sand beaches and giant clams or Tagatay for the lake in a Volcano which happens to be on the list of 1000 places to visit in the world

Haha, sounds good to me. ;) I'm flying out of Manilla so may 'treat' myself to a couple of nights there before leaving. I'll be travelling solo but will be staying in Guesthouses so hopefully meet up with a few people who know the tricks of the trade, so to speak.

I had briefly looked into Tagatay so may do a bit more research on that and see if I can fit it in. Cheers.