Replays of red cards and goals

Saint-Armstrong

I know Footballers are recognised as being not as sharp between the ears as your average bloke on the street, but the look of shock from Danny Fox at the red card jeez!! It's a bloody good job the Baggies player was already on the ground with nothing to resist the impact, that was pure kamikaze!!

The reason why the fans were upset at Gaston's sending off is that he had run 50 yards and Long had been trying to foul him all the way, there were three contacts where the ref called have blown for a foul. Whilst no excuse for the retaliation if the ref had blown earlier it would not have happened. On a number of occasions today the ref waved play on but on no occasion did he go back to the player who had committed the foul to talk to them or book them.

Can I be the first to start a conspiracy theory?

Two reds equals = no chance of Europe = no expensive distractions from going for the ECL in 2013/14

We clearly got the two sendings off on purpose - its all part of the plan but don't repeat it otherwise the Premier League might dock us points ;)

I had the same thought, but (having seen the replays) in reality in the real time the ref had at his disposal he was absolutely bob on: hard as that is to say.

All cheap goals to give away as well. Nuts on the last one..... Keep your legs closed!

Horror show all round today for sure!

You come forward and spread yourself to make the biggest obscicle to the opposition you have to have your legs open, the most vunerable part of a goalkeeprs stance. Far from Bouc's fault.

Just seen the incidents on MOTD. Gaston's arm hits Long in the chest, nowhere near his face.

I agree with you there and I am surprised that no-one else has said it. It was nevertheless petulant and possibly worth a card. Put that together with him pushing one of the West Brom players just afterwards and I would concede there remains a strong argument to say that the ref was right to send him off. Of the three red cards given in the match, it was the one that was most debatable.

Incidentally, no-one has also pointed out that the West Brom player's challenge for the ball when he was fouled by Fox also had a hint of being two-footed. His foot was certainly off the ground. I suspect if Fox had come in with a one-footed challenge then the West Brom player could have ended up being booked! It doesn't justify Fox's awful challenge though.

I cannot argue that Gaston deserved to go. Whether or not he hit Long in the face is perhaps debatable, but he definitely swung his arm deliberately and therefore deserved a red card IMO.

I am, however, extremely disappointed in the way that Long rolled around holding his face like he had been shot. Absolutely pathetic simulation and he should have got at least a yellow card for that, given his multiple attempts to foul Gaston in the build-up to the incident.

The ref didn't give gaston a free kick as he still had the ball and was actually getting away from Long. I.e. playing advantage. If anything it was looking like a promising attack. Gaston clear as day turned and looked for long before deliberately throwing his arm at him. Straight red, no question.

Fox was already on a booking so was obviously on his way after that challenge. Having seen the replay, no argument with a straight red either.

I have never seen so many shirt-grabs as I did yesterday.Do Saints strips have a little tag that says 'PULL HERE'? From where I was in the Itchen the Baggies defenders slide was also two-footed and I clearly saw his studs but Fox challenged well after the ball had gone!

Fox was already on a booking so was obviously on his way after that challenge. Having seen the replay, no argument with a straight red either.

Fox was unprofessional.

The game was lost and he was already on a yellow,diving in like that was just what I call a "look at me" challenge. He was just trying to show the crowd how "committed" he was. Selfish, headless challenge when he knows Shaw is struggling. I've defended Fox a bit on here, I don't think he's quite as bad as people make out, but that was indefensible.

Boric is a liability as proved today. Our real weakness. How come he got that contract?

What a stupid post.

Would have been 5 or 6 if not for him yesterday, Should have done better with Long's goal but with his recent performances he can be forgiven, the game was gone.

He clearly isn't and wasn't our real weakness. I suggest you re-watch the last 4 months if you're wondering how he got a new contract.

What he said ...And as a nice starting point look at his penalty save in extra time against Norwich and think what the table would look like if Norwich had won.

Boric is a liability as proved today. Our real weakness. How come he got that contract?

You're having a ******* laugh. Boruc has been brill since being installed as the No1 keep under MP and fully deserves the new contract.

I cannot argue that Gaston deserved to go. Whether or not he hit Long in the face is perhaps debatable, but he definitely swung his arm deliberately and therefore deserved a red card IMO.

I am, however, extremely disappointed in the way that Long rolled around holding his face like he had been shot. Absolutely pathetic simulation and he should have got at least a yellow card for that, given his multiple attempts to foul Gaston in the build-up to the incident.

Absolutely. I detest this play-acting to get players sent off. The man is a dispicable cheating little c*nt, just like that carthorse Carroll. It's a shame that the football authorities don't impose sanctions on players like this when a replay of the match video would clearly show players diving and play-acting. If it was conclusively proved that a player cheated in that way and was subsequently served a one match ban, then maybe that would stamp it out.

The ref didn't give gaston a free kick as he still had the ball and was actually getting away from Long. I.e. playing advantage. If anything it was looking like a promising attack. Gaston clear as day turned and looked for long before deliberately throwing his arm at him. Straight red, no question.

He may have been playing advantage but he didn't signal or call to show that he was. In these situations it is wise for the referee to let both players know that he is watching the situation closely.

Absolutely. I detest this play-acting to get players sent off. The man is a dispicable cheating little c*nt, just like that carthorse Carroll. It's a shame that the football authorities don't impose sanctions on players like this when a replay of the match video would clearly show players diving and play-acting. If it was conclusively proved that a player cheated in that way and was subsequently served a one match ban, then maybe that would stamp it out.

Does that include our players, because AL and GR go down pretty easy and J Rod clearly dived at Villa?

Wes is right. Long is a consistent diver and goes down easily. Even a mate of mine who is a Reading fan reckoned he won loads of free kicks and pens when he was there. It's a pity Gaston hadn't broken the smirking little cheats nose to give him something to roll around in agony for as his arm hit the top of his chest.