No to Rugby at SMS

OldNick

Why would we want one of the best playing surfaces in the country chewed up by a bunch of fat blokes pushing, shoving and gouging holes in it?

So that we get used to playing on crap pitches and win more away games? ;)

It did occur to me when we were in league 1 that having a billiard table home pitch didn't help us deal with the cow fields that other teams played on. Obviously less of an issue in the premier league.

Gutted to see the late addition to te AMEX get the nod over SME seeing as SMS has been on the original list of grounds. Would have been nice to have had te ground down in history as a world cup (admittedly rugby) ground.

(nice to see the thread I posted on this a while back, and trousers reposted above was right!)

Gutted to see the late addition to te AMEX get the nod over SME seeing as SMS has been on the original list of grounds. Would have been nice to have had te ground down in history as a world cup (admittedly rugby) ground.

(nice to see the thread I posted on this a while back, and trousers reposted above was right!)

The AMEX was always on the list of potential venues, the only late addition to the list was Sandy Park.

Real shame SMS did not get the nod to host some of the games, would have been a great boost to have such a high profile tournament come to the city.

The AMEX was always on the list of potential venues, the only late addition to the list was Sandy Park.

Real shame SMS did not get the nod to host some of the games, would have been a great boost to have such a high profile tournament come to the city.

This.

Quite what people get from saying "good" is beyond me. It's in the close season and there would only be three or four games played which would have a non-existent impact on the pitch come season kick off. Even if the pitch were f*cked, the money we'd get from hosting would cover the cost of a new pitch (that's if we haven't decided to replace it in any case). Any pit h technology has moved on to the extent where new pitches need minimal time to bed in, many clubs have changed pitch mid season.

IMO it would have been great to have some rugger games over a summer. Oh well, not sure I can be bothered schlepping to Brighton or London for it.

The AMEX wasn't part of the original bid. It was added to the list quite late on.

Fully agree that it would have been a boost to the city

As a Gloucester rugby season ticket holder I am delighted by the announcement - 4 games at Kingsholm including Scotland, Argentina and Tonga. Gutted that Saints and the city of Southampton won't get to join with the fun though. The games will be played in September so I would imagine the restrictions of Premier League and (hopefully) European football may have done for SMS...

on the subject of rugby supporters, I have never felt threatened or under attack while watching rugby. Unfortunately I can't say the same while watching Saints. Being able to have a beer or three in the stands while mixing with opposing supporters with no worry that you are going to get attacked is a nice way to spend an afternoon!

Watching rugby is pretty frustrating these days. Too many technical infringements giving refs the opportunity to strut the stage and basically decide who wins the game on a penalty count.

Can't say I'm disappointed at the news.

Its really dissapointing as we were one of the original grounds names during the bid process.

Having said that, I agee with Fan the flames that as many games as possible should be played at the traditional rugby stadiums so if we have missed out so that Sandy park could host some games then fair enough I suppose. Thats a cracking ground which always has a really good atmosphere.

Watching rugby is pretty frustrating these days. Too many technical infringements giving refs the opportunity to strut the stage and basically decide who wins the game on a penalty count.

Can't say I'm disappointed at the news.

could not agree more. Brian Moore struggles to get his head round many of the scrum infringements spotted by refs so how can joe public know what's going on?

Would anyone really have bothered going to see Tonga vs Argentina or something similar anyway?

Strange comment. My son's coaches have included a fireman, a former squaddie and a postal worker amongst others.

You've never actually been to a rugby match have you!

Spot on, sad deluded comment from AL with no basis of truth.

Hope he never goes, more champagne and caviar for me..... :-)

could not agree more. Brian Moore struggles to get his head round many of the scrum infringements spotted by refs so how can joe public know what's going on?

Would anyone really have bothered going to see Tonga vs Argentina or something similar anyway?

Yep, definitely. Argentina are one of the top sides in the world at the moment. A day at the rugger is a decent day of sport; different from a day at the footy but very enjoyable nonetheless. I can't claim to understand even half the ins and outs of the rules, but its still enjoyable nonetheless. Still remember being in the Alex at 730am for the Rugby World Cup final in 2003, what a day that was.

No, he struggles with how the referees interpret the rules which is totally different. His beef is 9 times out of 10 with the referee and what they let go, the putting in of the ball in front of the second row is one. The Southern Hemisphere teams want to do away with the scrum as they have never been very good in that area, this coupled with the IRB constantly changing the rules etc have led to the mess that is often seen now a scrum time.