Alex Ferguson Retires!

Batman

This is how he's going to do it, out of the blue, at the end of a successful season.

Hello Jose.

Thought this, wonder if he has been planning to retire over say the next three years but Jose is available now ? Makes sense to me, Moyes is decent but not proven himself at the top level.

If they can beat Chelski's offer, and get Jose to play good football he will be there.

Regardless of my feelings towards Manchester United, he is a legend of the game and if he does retire it'll be to the detriment of the English game. He is in his 70's now though, has a hip replacement due in August and may now consider that he is no longer 'physically able' to do the job justice.

A move to stop Mourinho going back to Chelsea would be my bet although David Moyes will have earnt a chance at a club like Man Utd.

Crazy, didn't see that coming.

Always thought Jose was a sure thing to take over, was starting to think it wouldn't happen. Guess that has been blown wide open once more.

Has to be a two-horse race between him and Moyes surely?

How on earth can you fill the shoes of the best manager ever, which in my opinion SAF is by quite some way. Would need Jose's character I reckon.

Bit in shock though, he's been in charge at United longer than I have been alive.

Jose was very complimentary and sucked up a lot after their CL meeting...could of been planned all along lol

The two of them have been Bezza's for years. Even when JM was at Chelsea they loved each other.

That said, Fergie is a known admirer of Moyes too. Interesting to see how this pans out.

Would love to be Jose this summer, the pick of United, Chelsea and PSG. He can pretty much name his price.

Jose was very complimentary and sucked up a lot after their CL meeting...could of been planned all along lol
at the time i thought the same. Mourinho was very humble on the night and so perhaps was laying the foundations of his arrival

at the time i thought the same. Mourinho was very humble on the night and so perhaps was laying the foundations of his arrival

As said

It would be hilarious towards all the bell-end Chelsea fans and the way they boo Rafa and chant Jose's name

New manager to be announced in days - has to resign from his current job first according to a guy at Sky

I said Nige jumped the gun a bit when taking the Reading job!

Can't say I'm really surprised, seeing as they romped away with the title this season. Quit at the top!

His successor has got to be of: Mourinho, Moyes and Klopp. Will be very surprised if it isn't one of them.

As an aside, I wonder how long it will take for Saggy Chops to make a statement along the lines of, 'Of course I would be interested in the job; United are a massive, massive, club!'

Have they ever? I suspect it will be no, given Fergie's tenure. Can't be many clubs like that still kicking about in the Top Division.

Out of interest, who was ours?

Think Poortvliet was our first non-British manager, if that's what you were asking. Pochettino only non-British Prem manager for us.