Cortese or Liebherr?

Dig Dig

Following on from todays reports abouts Cortese's position at the club I thought an interesting discussion would be the preference over seeing Cortese walk but remain under the ownership of the Liebherr estate or for Cortese to stay and secure new investment which he has previously said he can deliver.

Either could be a real scenario off the back of todays media coverage so which option would you prefer should there be a parting of ways between Cortese and Liebherrs?

Mods, please don't lock or move to other thread, it's a separate talking point.

Tough decision. The Liebherr's are an unknown and have no living link to the club.

If (and its a big if) Cortese could secure similar investment from elsewhere, and it would see him remain at the club, then I would be interested in this option.

I just feel that were Cortese to leave the club, we would lose the momentum generated so far. he has done a superb job.

On the basis that Cortese can deliver the necessary funding (I dont like the word "investment", because imo getting a return is highly dubious), the answer has to be Cortese.

This guy's drive (albeit with someone elses money) is what has made our resurrection possible. I dont give a sh*t about his social skills, he doesnt suffer fools glady (what this club has needed for YEARS) and managed to squeeze Arsenal's balls dry over AOC.

He is the sort of chairman we have been crying out for, for possibly decades.

On the basis that Cortese can deliver the necessary funding (I dont like the word "investment", because imo getting a return is highly dubious), the answer has to be Cortese.

This guy's drive (albeit with someone elses money) is what has made our resurrection possible. I dont give a sh*t about his social skills, he doesnt suffer fools glady (what this club has needed for YEARS) and managed to squeeze Arsenal's balls dry over AOC.

Great summary.

I dont like Cortese, but thats matter not a jot, his only concern like mines is Southampton Football Club, he should surrender some power to a football man in the transfer market but thats about it.

Cortese if he can find similar investment. This guy, like him or not, has delivered on everything he has targeted so far and it is no coincidence.

The only question mark about NC that I have is his ability to deliver the style of football he wants to see within the sort of budget that is available to us and the sort of club culture we want to retain. I dont want us to be the next ManC...

I think I'm interested in the club having access to a massive amount of money (seems to be the case with the Liebherr Estate), a Chairman who knows how to invest it for success on the pitch (which Cortese certainly has done well), and a club which is able to operate as a business without alienating their fans with some petty decision-making (not the best).

So I guess I'm on the side of the Liebherr Estate, because massive wodges of cash are much more rare than decent CEOs.

I think I'm interested in the club having access to a massive amount of money (seems to be the case with the Liebherr Estate), a Chairman who knows how to invest it for success on the pitch (which Cortese certainly has done well), and a club which is able to operate as a business without alienating their fans with some petty decision-making (not the best).

So I guess I'm on the side of the Liebherr Estate, because massive wodges of cash are much more rare than decent CEOs.

Imo there are enough examples within the game that demonstrate that is not the case (QPR, Chelsea, Toon, City trophyless this season..)

Would be nice to hear from the Liebherr Estate, even if just a bland PR snippet of something about becoming a sustainable Premier club, potential long-term expansion of SMS, etc.

Cortese would be very popular at the moment (unless you've personally been shafted by him!), spending someone else's money pretty damn well as far as I can tell.

Credit where credit is due Alps, I couldnt have put this summary better myself.

The water becomes muddied when we look at if it were Cortese and no cash but, IMHO I reckon he could probably make a better hash of it then most, and like Alps says further down the thread, there are plenty of CEO's that have made a mockery of hundreds of millions.