CCFC fan in peace

jimmyl

Hi guys,

Lately, there's been an affinity between our sets of fans due to CCFC's diabolical owners once trying to 'rescue' your club.

As some / many of you will know, CCFC is currently being held to ransom by Mayfair-based investment company SISU. A company that no longer has any interest in the football club it owns (if it ever did), only in seizing control of the stadium it plays in.

To keep this as short as possible:

They have tried to do this by not paying rent since April 2012, in an effort to destabilise the Council-owned company that runs the stadium Arena Coventry Limited (ACL) and get the Ricoh Arena on the cheap.

The Council stepped in and bailed out ACL in January with a multimillion pound loan.

A legal dispute followed over non-payment of rent. SISU have also had the nerve to take the Council to the High Court over their bailout of ACL under the umbrella of 'Judicial Review'!

What has happened at our club is nothing short of a disgrace and should never again be allowed to happen at any club in this country. It is the perfect example of why fan involvement at board level (the likes of which you see more of abroad) should be encouraged rather than letting a bunch of self-interest faceless investors mismanage their way into the mess we are now witnessing.

We, the fans, are more or less powerless to do anything about the situation and have been forced to watch our club being dragged through the dirt. We've been treated as nothing more than pawns in a game of brinksmanship between SISU and the Council.

The latest in this long running saga is that SISU are threatening to take the club out of the City, claiming they have been 'locked out' of the Ricoh Arena, something vehemently denied by ACL.

Our local paper, the Coventry Telegraph, have started a petition to put pressure on those responsible to sort out this mess and ensure the club stays in the City.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/keep-coventry-city-in-coventry-3414872

It would be greatly appreciated by us City fans if you Saints would take the a second to sign the petition - name and email only.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/keep-city-in-coventry/

I'd like to think that had it worked out the other way round we'd have done the same.

Good luck next season and congratulations on securing your place in the Premiership.

Jim

I wish Coventry all the best, but this will go against the grain somewhat... petitions like the one mentioned in the opening post are ultimately pointless, futile and won't make the slightest bit of difference to the situation.

We are so lucky this didn't happen...

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/saints-are-the-goal-for-secretive-hedge-fund-6615521.html

I wish Coventry all the best, but this will go against the grain somewhat... petitions like the one mentioned in the opening post are ultimately pointless, futile and won't make the slightest bit of difference to the situation.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/saints-are-the-goal-for-secretive-hedge-fund-6615521.html

I actually agree that "it's a bloody e-petition FFS", but NOT signing it certainly won't achieve anything.

it is bit of farce in that n.cortese just signed it no questions asked. It was good of him to take time out of busy day tho.

Matt,

I never, in a million years thought you of all people would think that way.

However, let me tell you a story.

One day walking down a beach I saw a man leaning down picking up something and throwing it out to the ocean. Getting closer I saw they were starfish. I questioned his motives.

He said ‘the tide is low and these starfish have been washed up on the shore. If I don’t throw them back they’ll die from lack of oxygen.'

‘I understand, but there must be thousands on this beach and others along the coast. Can’t you see you can’t possibly make a difference?’

The man smiled, bent down and picked up another starfish and threw it back into the sea. He replied…’Made a difference to that one!’

MLG if it was down to you, the suffragettes would never have gotten started and the Magna Carta would never have taken off the ground. Now maybe these guys need Steve Ogrizovic to throw himself in front of the Queen's horse but this at least is a start.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words.

Another City fan reminded me that you carried our SISU Out banner in the away end during our FA Cup clash and brought one onto the pitch during your celebratory promotion pitch invasion.

I'm overwhelmed by your generosity, you're a credit to your club.

signed.

Have some good mates who are Cov fans and can't even bring themselves to talk about football anymore!

Very sad and could have been us.

The way the leagues allow "fit and proper" people to take over clubs based on debt and self interest is disgraceful.

The way the leagues allow "fit and proper" people to take over clubs based on debt and self interest is disgraceful.

I understand where you're coming from but can you imagine if the football league had blocked the sisu takeover? They were the only interested party iirc and cov would have faced immediate administration, relegation and the very real possibility of liquidation had it not been green lighted. Yes they've experienced 2 of the 3 anyway, but noone was to know that at the time. The football league would have been blamed, suffered a massive backlash from the fans and probably faced legal action. They're walking a tightrope.